Does runescape 'do' magic well?

nickeley102

Magic is a very abstract concept that has seen many different approaches used in different media.

I liked how magic was presented in lord of the rings, only select people/races could use it and it was used through willpower primarily, like a combination of study, willpower and some hand actions.

I though the force from star wars was pretty cool and more believable too, compared to people just having the ability to fly or something

In runescape your character uses small stones to make magic occur, i dont really understand this, do you just put them togethor? if so, why do i need to practise this before i can cast high level spells?

What do you think is the best/coolest magic reincarnation?

Is the rs magic system believable?

Is there anything you would change about the rs magic system?

NICKELEY102.png

Runes were 'invented' well before Runescape. And have been found in many stories of old and new. They gave power just like the force emits power (even though you can't see it.) So yes it's believable. And when you call the way RS magic is using stones you do suggest RS made up runes.

Costantino.png

Clearly you hve not done your background reading.

It is possible to cast magic in runescape without runes, but only a slect few who have studied hard have the power to do so, as it requires precise thought and will power.

Long ago the lunar people discovered rune essence - a rock with the property of willing to be something its not.

They then found locations where each magical force was strong and placed large slabs of essence there, then jointly willed them into being that element.

Now when rune essnece is exposed to these with a little will power it will become a matching stone.

As for the casting of magic:

The spells require certain magical elements to achieve the correct effect

Since most people don't have the defined art and will power to summon up all/any of these elements by themselves they need rune stones.

Since these stones will to be the element they represent they offer a focal point to easily summon that element.

Magic in runescape is therefore merely aided by runes, not a direct product of them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Magic is a very abstract concept that has seen many different approaches used in different media.

I liked how magic was presented in lord of the rings, only select people/races could use it and it was used through willpower primarily, like a combination of study, willpower and some hand actions.

I though the force from star wars was pretty cool and more believable too, compared to people just having the ability to fly or something

In runescape your character uses small stones to make magic occur, i dont really understand this, do you just put them togethor? if so, why do i need to practise this before i can cast high level spells?

why do you need to pratice? Like the Lord of the Rings magic it's "a combination of study, willpower and some hand actions." You learn the spells from study and practice.

I think that the runes in RuneScape is a good representation of magic.

kill_o_troll.png

kill_o_troll.png

Since I am a David Eddings fan, I like both ways he described magic iin his book series:

* In the Belgaraid /Malloreon, he used it in the form of "will and word". It was bound to some "laws", like one that it is only supposed to CREATE someting. In essence, everybody could use magic, though some people were more talented for it. The magic abilities of a person would rely on the will power of that person.

* In the Elenium / Tamuli series, it was used as a request to the Gods. Here, saying a spell, was in essence a "prayer" which a God could grant. Knowing the language was helping in how powerfull a spell could be, but the power of the God was also keen in this.

Both kinds appealed to me.....

As believable as magic can ever be....

No. I have no imagination......

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

I'd actually even question that "magic is an abstract concept"

Theoretically it is.

BUT its fictional existence has always created certain traits to it.These traits become trademark like to magic and we therefore expect them to feature in anything involving magic. Any magic we see that does not involve these features we find generally hard to believe.

This pre-assumed features of the magic make it far less abstract as we have given it form and definitions.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think Runescape does magic fine. I'm sick of all of the other Mmos that use "mana" or "magic power". I think Runes just add to the uniqueness of the game. And it makes the name, too of course.

Magic is an abstract concept, but honestly, it's portrayed in many different ways.

brandonssx.png

I think Runescape does magic fine. I'm sick of all of the other Mmos that use "mana" or "magic power". I think Runes just add to the uniqueness of the game. And it makes the name, too of course.

quote]

Mana just ruins the point of magic.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

This is in fact a pet peeve of mine. In runescape, magic is a simple, reliable skill wich can be learned by everyone. Yet, this is very inconsistent with the NPC's attitudes towards magic.

Examples :

- in the tower of life quest, magic is supposed to be mysterious and incomprehensible, and in a sense opposed to logic. Crafting and firemaking are supposed to be "normal" and "logical", even though there's hardly a fundamental difference. They are all easy, reliable skills anyone can learn.

- wizards (and, especially, the moon clan and the mahjarrat) are supposed to be able to cast magic without runes. Yet, these options are entirely closed to players (yes, I know casting without runes would upset the combat triangle, but I'm sure there's a way to solve that).

- there is supposed to be a connection between magic and race (e.g. "gnomish magic", wich is presumably simple and somewhat illusion-based, and "elfish magic", wich is supposed to be crystal-based). This is not further explored, and the spellbooks have hardly any connection to race (the moon clan are still humans, and apparently there is no problem for a human to learn mahjarrat spells).

- wizards (the mad inventor wizard in ardougne, the gnome wizard in his peninsulla, even the goblin wizard in dorgesh-khaan, the wizards in the magic towers) can do lots of cool stuff that players have no access to, they are not even given the option to attempt to become a wizard.

"Noob" is an insult. "Noob" is overused. Be polite. Try to say "noob" less than once a day.

Thank you.

well actually there is a large story behind the magic of grileinor

u can read aout it in the lores and history section of runescape but ill sum it up for you

mages used to have to focus magic from their minds and literally bound nature into a from of a spell

but a few mages found out how to bind those powers into stones so that any1 could use them and learn magic

to the lvling thing there are 2 possibilities

1. its a game its for fun

2. you need to be able to harness these stones better before attempting the harder spells

knight95007.png

The way I see it:

Magic runes are like batteries. The runes store the magical energies erupting from the altars and can then be accessed by the wizard at the time he needs it.

The spells are powered from these runes, not from some special power from the wizard. Of course, the wizard needs training to know how to use this stored power to cast a spell.

So, yes the system is believable.

Some things I would love to see changed and still be within RS feeling:

- A separation between battle magic and "utility" magic.

- Enchantment of more items than just jewelry.

- Wizard staffs and wands that can actually store energy themselves.

phata_elise.png

'Magic' isn't real in the first place!

so I don't understand how you can compare it to anything..

or even try and discuss what magic actually is,

there is no right answer..

Non-believers as yourself are not welcome.

:notalk:

The spells are powered from these runes, not from some special power from the wizard. Of course, the wizard needs training to know how to use this stored power to cast a spell.

No. The writings from the moon clan on Lunar isle make it clear that magic is always the result from some special power from the wizard, and that the runes merely help you focusing this power. Furthermore , they (the moon clan, but also the mahjarrat and human wizards) can do magic without runes.

"Noob" is an insult. "Noob" is overused. Be polite. Try to say "noob" less than once a day.

Thank you.

Mate, you can't be serious..

why didn't you wear an invisibility cape when you attempted to rob the bank?

:wink:

believe that, [female dog]. :lol:

My dA account.

paranoiaao8.jpg

.retired, as of the 1st January 2008.

Magic is an interesting concept. How'd you explain it to someone who doesn't know what the word means?

Is it 'a special power', 'unnatural' and 'un-explainable'?

In a way, magic has lost it's place in the community (irl). Earlier people were burned alive for witchcraft and magic. What if you could show a telephone or a tv to medieval people, you'd be burned too. The new devices techonology has brought us with electricity are the thing what people would've called magic a few hundred years ago. But what is magic today?

In runescape I find the Dorgeshkhaan scientist interesting. He studies magic and runes in a totally different way than wizards do. He tries to combine logic and magic.

Runes in runescape as a mean of producing magic works great, and the legend behind them is 'believable'.

- buying mana 300 ea? :-X

Mate, you can't be serious..

why didn't you wear an invisibility cape when you attempted to rob the bank?

:wink:

believe that, [female dog]. :lol:

cant rob a place if they don't know your there, can ya smart pants?

female dog urself :wink:

The runestones have power bound within them, you just need your magic skills to release it.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

RuneScape's magic system is very realistic (compared to most magic), due to the law of conservation of energy, which states that you can neither create or destroy energy. If the power didn't come from runes, it would have to come from the user's body. Imagine how many calories it would take to use Blood Barrage.

Runes are basically capacitors (aka batteries); they store energy that comes from rune altars.

If I could change the magic system, I would modify the lore and say that everyone *needs* runes to use magic effectively, unless they eat 40 pounds of food every meal.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

We are constantly surrounded by energy. All is energy in the form of matter or radiation. If you cannot find the energy within yourself, take it from your surroundings. Learn to split neutrons and protons, and the energy is released for you to use.

2480+ total

I think you need a certain magical 'level' so when you do cast such spells that you don't do them incorrectly. Maybe theres a certain ammount of practice needed to be done in magic before you can do more 'complicated' spells?

I think the HP version of magic is [cabbage] ty, and lord of the rings is cooler :P

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

I think you need a certain magical 'level' so when you do cast such spells that you don't do them incorrectly. Maybe theres a certain ammount of practice needed to be done in magic before you can do more 'complicated' spells?

I think the HP version of magic is [cabbage] ty, and lord of the rings is cooler :P

You might think that I'm weird, but I think that the level requirement is there to prevent a level one mage from using Ice Barrage and other powerful spells. Nah, that's just me.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall: