Are you addicted to runescape?

slickmovedud

Are you addicted to runescape?

Well how you answer that depends on your defintition of "addiction". My defintion of they word is "You can't stop doing something after you start". I'm not addicted to it by my definiton because i go out biking, running, skiing, and things like that. But i used to be addicted to runescape. That was when i either thought or played it 24/7.

How did i get rid of this addiction? I went to camp, i tried out new things, and just told myself not to play it for 2 months. Now that those 2 months are up, i'm starting to play it again, but i'm not finding it as enjoyable as i did before. From what i can tell runescape is kind of like drugs or cigerattes. Once you have a bit, you can't stop it. The only way to stop it is to say "no". So are any of you addicted to runescape?

P.S. If dream abotu runescape constantly you are addicted to it by my definition.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to dream RS, so its safe to say I was in an addiction.

Not anymore and haven't been for hmm 4 years or so.

I had a dream this morning where I looked at my watch, does that mean I'm obsessed with time? No it doesn't, although the dream made me late for my lecture this morning :wall: tricking me into thinking it was a different time.

Personally I've just had a forced 2 month break from RS after playing pretty much every day for the past 5-6 years, there were a few times where I wish I could play RS (mainly due to nothing else to do). I'm not addicted to it and never have been.

I do hate that the day I can finally come back to RS Jagex decide to break their billing system, my typical luck :(

I had a dream this morning where I looked at my watch, does that mean I'm obsessed with time? No it doesn't

Whats your point?

What I'm saying is that RS was so much a part of my "reality", that it even snuck up on me in my sleep.

I totally fail to see the connection in your post with mine.

I had a dream this morning where I looked at my watch, does that mean I'm obsessed with time? No it doesn't

Whats your point?

What I'm saying is that RS was so much a part of my "reality", that it even snuck up on me in my sleep.

What you implied that if you dream about something you must be addicted to it. Which makes no sense at all, I've had dreams about all sorts of things that does not mean I have thousands of addictions.

Whats your point?

What you implied that if you dream about something you must be addicted to it. Which makes no sense at all, I've had dreams about all sorts of things that does not mean I have thousands of addictions.

If you dream about rs than you are definetly addicted to it.

Whats your point?

No thats how you understood my text. I was talking about my personal situation, which after all is the topic of debate. "If YOU were addicted to RS".

I smoke so much hash that I normally don't dream at all.

And if you keep on having recurring dreams I'm sure you stop to think about whats up with that.

Whats your point?

No you are not, I don't understand why people think that. I've had about 5 dreams about runescape in the 5-6 years I've been playing, doesn't mean I'm addicted to it. I've had more dreams about other specific things in that time span and I'm not addicted to those either.

And Fook, fair enough it's just how you said you had a dream about it and thus you must be addicted to it. (Or that's how I read your post anyway)

And Fook, fair enough it's just how you said you had a dream about it and thus you must be addicted to it. (Or that's how I read your post anyway)

Thats how you read my post yes.

But I know myself well enough to know, that something is wrong, if I have recurring dreams of a stupid computer game, when I usually don't even dream at all.

I guess I can't make it more blatant than the way I just put it now.

Whats your point?

No you are not, I don't understand why people think that. I've had about 5 dreams about runescape in the 5-6 years I've been playing, doesn't mean I'm addicted to it. I've had more dreams about other specific things in that time span and I'm not addicted to those either.

To have a dream about a fictional game that you play on the computer is a big thing. LIke your mind makes it come to life and something actualy happeans. Obvisouly you've been playing to much rs if your mind has a dream about it.

To have a dream about a fictional game that you play on the computer is a big thing. LIke your mind makes it come to life and something actualy happeans. Obvisouly you've been playing to much rs if your mind has a dream about it.

Which in essence was my point, lol.

I disagree completely. Having an occasional dream about something you do on a regular basis is NOT an addiction. Fine, if you're dreaming about it once a week or even more than that it's safe to say you're either playing far too much or have an addiction. But dreaming about something (In this case Runescape) is perfectly healthy to do. As I've said I've had thousands of dreams about many different things, it doesn't mean I have thousands of addictions.

And let me ask you something else, having a dream about, for example, football and having a dream about runescape, what's the difference?

In my opinion, none, for me they're both things I enjoy doing and to dream about them is perfectly naturally and not an addiction at all.

Which in essence was my point, lol.

finally somebody who agrees with me..............

I can stop playing any time I want. I just don't want to. :lol: Yeah I play a lot of runescape however the opportunity cost is not important (meaning I don't sacrifice much to play the game).

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

yes i am :mrgreen:

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

By definition, an addiction is something that is habit forming, or causes cravings. I believe many people are addicted to runescape and don't realize. How strong this addiction is, is hard to tell.

People get bored. When your bored, if the first thing you think to do is play runescape, you may have an addiction. If you have something that you need to do(a school assignment, work, ect.), but instead you kill valuable time playing runescape, you may be addicted. If while not playing runescape, you often think about playing runescape, you might be addicted.

If you find yourself logging onto runescape, and then just sitting their without actually doing anything in game...only to logout...go and do something else, start thinking about what you could do on runescape, go back to runescape, doing what you thought about doing, find that boring, log out...you may be addicted.

Many will argue that it's normal to be bored and decide to play video games, and this may be true. However, if playing video games is the only way to satisfy your boredom(in other words, everything else seems equally as boring), you most likely have a video game addiction.

The best way to cure an addiction is to quit completely. This is also a great way to tell if you actually were addicted. If after quitting completely, and after a long period of time, you find yourself no longer having urges to play the game, you were most likely addicted, and are no longer addicted.

Although it may be contradicting with the above statement, if you find yourself interested in the game, even while not playing it, and you find it hard to not think about it...you are addicted...If you ever go back to the game, you will be sucked into the addiction.

But wait...This leaves no win. With my arguments, you will always be addicted to this game, unless you never play it again...and although that seems rash, it is true, because that is how MMORPG's become successful. You always want to come back to play the game, which brings in money for the company. Eventually, every player will quit(hopefully for the sake of the player), but how great of pull the game has on it's audience determines how successful it will be.

Think of those flash games that some of you may play. You play them once, you think it's fun...but then you never play the game again. How do companies deal with this? Make sequels. However, it's very unlikely that anyone will go back to play the original game.(Halo is a good example of that)...

So in conclusion, if you play a MMO game, and the game keeps you wanting to play more..then the game is addicting, and you are addicted.

Whether this is a good or bad thing is different in everyone's opinion. It's your choice, you decide.

w4M8t.png

By definition, an addiction is something that is habit forming, or causes cravings. I believe many people are addicted to runescape and don't realize. How strong this addiction is, is hard to tell.

People get bored. When your bored, if the first thing you think to do is play runescape, you may have an addiction. If you have something that you need to do(a school assignment, work, ect.), but instead you kill valuable time playing runescape, you may be addicted. If while not playing runescape, you often think about playing runescape, you might be addicted.

If you find yourself logging onto runescape, and then just sitting their without actually doing anything in game...only to logout...go and do something else, start thinking about what you could do on runescape, go back to runescape, doing what you thought about doing, find that boring, log out...you may be addicted.

Many will argue that it's normal to be bored and decide to play video games, and this may be true. However, if playing video games is the only way to satisfy your boredom(in other words, everything else seems equally as boring), you most likely have a video game addiction.

The best way to cure an addiction is to quit completely. This is also a great way to tell if you actually were addicted. If after quitting completely, and after a long period of time, you find yourself no longer having urges to play the game, you were most likely addicted, and are no longer addicted.

Although it may be contradicting with the above statement, if you find yourself interested in the game, even while not playing it, and you find it hard to not think about it...you are addicted...If you ever go back to the game, you will be sucked into the addiction.

But wait...This leaves no win. With my arguments, you will always be addicted to this game, unless you never play it again...and although that seems rash, it is true, because that is how MMORPG's become successful. You always want to come back to play the game, which brings in money for the company. Eventually, every player will quit(hopefully for the sake of the player), but how great of pull the game has on it's audience determines how successful it will be.

Think of those flash games that some of you may play. You play them once, you think it's fun...but then you never play the game again. How do companies deal with this? Make sequels. However, it's very unlikely that anyone will go back to play the original game.(Halo is a good example of that)...

So in conclusion, if you play a MMO game, and the game keeps you wanting to play more..then the game is addicting, and you are addicted.

Whether this is a good or bad thing is different in everyone's opinion. It's your choice, you decide.

wow, that is one long point outlining what i was attempting to say in my 1st post. Good job! =D>

P.S. how long did that take to write??????????

Ignorant. If I go by your definition and say a dream being something "your mind makes come to life", then I'll say it's an image the brain automatically creates from random thoughts occurring while you sleep as the brain processes them. That doesn't mean you'd have to be addicted to something to dream about it. If I played RuneScape that day, or even once in three weeks, my brain is perfectly capable to dream about it without me being addicted.

Also, I hardly log on anymore, so I'm not addicted (and probably never were).

Ignorant. If I go by your definition and say a dream being something "your mind makes come to life", then I'll say it's an image the brain automatically creates from random thoughts occurring while you sleep as the brain processes them. That doesn't mean you'd have to be addicted to something to dream about it. If I played RuneScape that day, or even once in three weeks, my brain is perfectly capable to dream about it without me being addicted.

Exactly.

Thats similiar to saying something along the lines of: "I have to go to the bathroom, I must be addicted."

There are many uncontrollable things that the human body does. Meaning you have no control over them, hardly making you addicted to something just becuase you did it.

When one dreams its just a series of random thoughts that can be complied into a serious of events which for a dream.

However, If people are having dreams of runescape on a quite regular basis this does show that their mind does very little more then think about, read, process, etc etc runescape every day. That then is where your addiction becomes a bad one, as not all addictions are bad.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

When i was on my quest for 99 firemaking i was very addicted, but sence then i only allow my self to play on the weekend and any off days i have from school.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]