Monday Poll: Have you ever been scammed by a friend?

MPM

Fortunately I've only had one instance of a "friend" scamming me for a rune plate body and legs back when I was on the free worlds. I helped said "friend" complete Dragon Slayer but he didn't have enough money to buy the rune plate body and legs on his own. So, being a gentle hearted (or naive) soul, I offered him my help.

At the time I needed materials to train my crafting so I made a small deal with him; trade me X amount of hard leather and I'll make stuff and sell to get money, then buy him the armor. Well, after about a week, slaving away with thread and needle and selling huge amounts of hard leather bodies to the general store -- I didn't have High Alchemy and couldn't afford the Nature runes anyways -- I finally scrounged up enough coins to buy my "friend" a rune plate body and legs.

So, I finally met with said "friend" and traded him the rune body and legs. An hour later, he PMs me, telling me he just got scammed out of his rune body and legs. I tell him, if he wants my help again, he'll have to butcher X cows again and give me hard leather to work with to build up my cash supply. He begs and begs and begs, trying to convince me that he was scammed but he doesn't want to get me the hard leather, let alone cow hides so that I have to tan the hides myself!

I tell him that I'm sorry he got scammed and it isn't my problem, because at that point, my instincts were telling me that my "friend" isn't the "scammEE" but is now the "scammER" by taking advantage of my generosity. Let's just say he shortly left the game, either because he really WAS scammed and was genuinely asking me for help, or he simply got bored of the game because he didn't understand the relation between skill training and money and other game nuances.

The best "type" of friends are indeed the older crowd, at least from my experience since I fit into the older crowd too. And when I say "older crowd", I mean those who have at least finished high school, is going through university/college or finished and is working or is old enough to be responsible for children of their own and plays RuneScape as a quick brain chill after a long day at the "office". Anyways, I digress. The Older Crowd makes great friends because we realize it is just a game and we rarely obsess over items and that we play the game for what it is, a game. We don't take the game overly serious but we're usually serious enough to play the game honestly and the way game should be played; developing (grinding) our character's stats so that we (the character) can do more.

Cele

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have Misplaced. I thought I could trust certain friends, but after a while they scammed me. I wonder why it's so hard to find friends who won't back-stab you.

~Alina

Ummm, because people are scum?

I've never been scammed by a friend, because I never trust any of my friends. The only person that I would even THINK of trusting (and I don't think about trusting him anyway) would be my cousin, because he knows if he scammed me, he will regret it.

?r=191108

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Currently will be using my Oni Tsurugi account to attempt to get 99 on all free skills without spending any gp, just for the sake of doing so.

I'm gonna say, ive never been scammed. some of this stuff is horrible :ohnoes: i hoped you all recoverd :D the only friends i would trust are my real friends, and considering im poor, i dont have much to lend.

yup i have. i own 5/6 barrows sets, whip, and full rune trimmed ^_^ *all from tt cept the skirt which a friend gave me*

modjohan.jpg

l_the_seer_l.png

I am known only as The Seer. I have many names and many different forms. Cross me at your own risk, fight me at your own peril, but join me and fight by my side, and none shall stand before our power.

Owner of the Quest, Firemaking*2-12-08*, Fletching, Magic, Defense, Cooking, HP, Attack, Strength, Herblore, Summoning, Farming and Prayer Capes.

Hmm Santa hat

i always seem to lose it.

I trusted a guy (King arthu45) who was a friend of mine for over a year. He wanted to use my account to make some money but after 2 weeks he took my 2 santa hat on my bank...

I should never lend my account....specially with 2 santa hats on it.

My brother also was scammed and he known this guy (evildoom1) for 2 years and he often pked with my brother.

My brother let him wear santa hat just to see. My other friend was also with me and he was here for fun. After he accept the trade button, he started to say he was lagging and then he logs out and never went on again

Join my clan chat if u like Chocolate =)

hapbartyt3.gif

Yup.

I have been scammed once.

My RL friend stole my Full Black Mystic.

And my robin hood hat ><

When i saw him at school, i kicked him for over 10 times and told him to give it back,

Meh, he gave it back, said sorry and even gave 100k extra.

He just wanted to borrow it :wall:

So, we are still friends.

But i'm gonna kick him twice as hard if it happens again :XD:

Evreyone has a weakness.

Some hate the light, some hate darkness.

My weakness?

People who start tickling me ><

Yes i have. Once by a friend who stole my whip, and i'd know him for over a year. He later pm'ed me saying that he got scammed of it but was sorry and was going to make it back. that was about 6 months ago. i still don't have it, although he still promises i'll get it back one of these days.

The other time was when one of my best friends wanted to "barrow" my dragon chain when they were like 14 mil. well i lent it to him and lo and behold he logged out. He claims that his cousin did it and said he won it off me in a duel, so he is still on my friends list. :evil:

Toxic78.png

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

I think that often, friends who bs friends didn't plan to, and they really did intend to give back whatever they borrowed. But, once the items were in their hands, the temptation to keep them was too great.

The truest words I have ever heard anyone say are "opportunity makes a theif", so I tell my friends I'm sorry, but I just don't let other people borrow stuff, they're ok with it, there's never an opportunity for a problem, and they're still my friends. Heck, my friend and I gave a verac helm back to a guy who died at kq when we didn't even know him, but some people wouldn't even return it to a teammate...

Blooblyblobl.gif

Legends quest completed at lvl 47 on X Legendre X

#3056 to 99 firemaking, achieved on July 4th, 2007.

Tied for #1854 to 99 farming, achieved on September 3rd, 2008.

First time I ever got scammed by a friend is when I let someone use my whip. Never got it back. It really hurt too since, well, at that time it was worth 2.5m and I never had that much money before. Also I knew this person for about 6 months. He of course took me off his friends, but the funny thing is he got perm ban for item scamming later on. :lol: Oh and yes, he tried being friends with me after explaining everything (his cousin did it, yadiyadi..) with his new account. He's still on my ignore list today.

I just say don't trust anyone you've only met online... I'm paranoid like that, but whoever has a problem with that CAN'T BE TRUSTED! Fortunately I have real life friends who know better not to mess with me lol.

Sir_Sibz.png

Sir_Sibz.png

45f0d8e6a6.png

BlogSignature-March11.png

Once when i came back from a break i took from rs, hadnt been playing for like a month. Everything was fine and I was happy...didnt think. I lent my Fury and Green mask to a "good friend" to get a picture for a signature. 1min later he just logged out and I never saw that fury nor green mask again =(. I had bought the mask for about 9 mil and at the moment it got scammed it was worth around 30mil. I was counting on merchanting it and doing my lifes best deal so I had started to buy lots of new stuff thinkin id get money from the mask anyway. Apparantly not..=(

Anyway, thats my sad story :(.

So..to not get scammed...dont trust anyone...perhaps only people irl you know you can beat up lol=)

redtechvectorzsigbr7.jpg

Sadly, I did get scammed by one of my best friends :(

Lost 1.2m because he said he would hold onto it for safe keeping :wall:

So I herd You Liek Markip2's?

Barrows Drops: V helm x1, Dh Helm x1

Dragon Drops: 0

Finally finished RFD on 8/30/08!

First one to complete Lumbridge Achievement Diary In World 99 FTW!

markip2.png

I haven't been SCAMMED, per se, rather HACKED. A guy I'd trusted since March hacked me in August and I recieved my account back in September. Everything good I had pretty much went missing. I had huge stockpiles of runes...almost ALL of them were gone. I'm still trying to get everything back. And I kindly asked him to repay me. He said no, but a friend of ours got him to give me a whip. I sold it....then somehow the hacker got po'd at me (Dunno why. Maybe because I kb'd him for being annoying? He just got me much more angry and I'd asked him to calm down...he didn't...) and is now firmly on my ignore list.

I know something about nothing, which is far better than knowing nothing about something.

My one friend(s) got a red and blue mask off of me from me trusting them too much... I've earned the red back, which was all I really cared about.

jmodresponse.th.png

^^ Spreadin' da wurd ^^

I'm old skool baby ;) *looks at join date*

Current amount of years playing Runescape: 5.5 On TIF: 5

Fortunately I've only had one instance of a "friend" scamming me for a rune plate body and legs back when I was on the free worlds. I helped said "friend" complete Dragon Slayer but he didn't have enough money to buy the rune plate body and legs on his own. So, being a gentle hearted (or naive) soul, I offered him my help.

At the time I needed materials to train my crafting so I made a small deal with him; trade me X amount of hard leather and I'll make stuff and sell to get money, then buy him the armor. Well, after about a week, slaving away with thread and needle and selling huge amounts of hard leather bodies to the general store -- I didn't have High Alchemy and couldn't afford the Nature runes anyways -- I finally scrounged up enough coins to buy my "friend" a rune plate body and legs.

So, I finally met with said "friend" and traded him the rune body and legs. An hour later, he PMs me, telling me he just got scammed out of his rune body and legs. I tell him, if he wants my help again, he'll have to butcher X cows again and give me hard leather to work with to build up my cash supply. He begs and begs and begs, trying to convince me that he was scammed but he doesn't want to get me the hard leather, let alone cow hides so that I have to tan the hides myself!

I tell him that I'm sorry he got scammed and it isn't my problem, because at that point, my instincts were telling me that my "friend" isn't the "scammEE" but is now the "scammER" by taking advantage of my generosity. Let's just say he shortly left the game, either because he really WAS scammed and was genuinely asking me for help, or he simply got bored of the game because he didn't understand the relation between skill training and money and other game nuances.

The best "type" of friends are indeed the older crowd, at least from my experience since I fit into the older crowd too. And when I say "older crowd", I mean those who have at least finished high school, is going through university/college or finished and is working or is old enough to be responsible for children of their own and plays RuneScape as a quick brain chill after a long day at the "office". Anyways, I digress. The Older Crowd makes great friends because we realize it is just a game and we rarely obsess over items and that we play the game for what it is, a game. We don't take the game overly serious but we're usually serious enough to play the game honestly and the way game should be played; developing (grinding) our character's stats so that we (the character) can do more.

Cele

im a jr. in highschool but theres no way ill still be playing this game in college. I really think only nerds are addicted to this game im even a Varsity 135lb. @ my highschool. but id be embaressed 2 be playing a game with all these young kids....and a younger ppl game.

Heres a simple math problem 4 all u rs players out there: Ownage + Ownage =Mshoveit

mshoveit.png

[hide]

Cele

[/hide] im a jr. in highschool but theres no way ill still be playing this game in college. I really think only nerds are addicted to this game im even a Varsity 135lb. @ my highschool. but id be embaressed 2 be playing a game with all these young kids....and a younger ppl game.

You'd be surprised with the amount of people who are in the "older crowd", especially those who just want something inexpensive and entertaining to hop on once in a while.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)