Player value of items being considered

Turtle_GS

As some of the more observant of you have probably noticed, Jagex revealed in their description of the new duel arena that the value of items staked will be determined by the "player value".

The gp value of any item wagered in a staked duel is defined by the 'player value'. This 'player value' of an item will change according to any market fluctuations once the Grand Exchange has been introduced.

This is going to be a very big, and probably interesting change! For example, if (and this is a big if) they decide to make it so you keep items upon death placed on the player value, items like whips will protect over items with a higher shop value, but a lower player value, like dragon battle axes. This will help prevent scams, and help out no matter where you die. I remember one time I died and kept my rune full helm over an amulet of glory, back when they were around 95k.

This has a lot of potential use, and unfortunately, potential abuse. Someone could put up multiple listings for ashes in the grade exchange at millions of gp each, and use it to enter one of the one million gp duels. Hopefully Jagex will put in something to prevent this.

Daigotsu had a good idea to help prevent this.

Actually to avoid abuse of "outlying prices" I expect the Player Value code to be based on completed transactions as opposed to asking price. That way people can't dump their items onto the exchange at vastly inflated prices to manipulate the Player Value. Proper statistical analysis can weed out the extreme cases.

They could still buy it on another account, but they could probably remove the outliers with his idea too.

There might also be some sort of price check system, which will show the average price of an item, the range, or hopefully the range with obvious outliers removed.

So, I was wondering what all of your thoughts on this new update are.

As some of the more observant of you have probably noticed, Jagex revealed in their description of the new duel arena that the value of items staked will be determined by the "player value".

The gp value of any item wagered in a staked duel is defined by the 'player value'. This 'player value' of an item will change according to any market fluctuations once the Grand Exchange has been introduced.

This is going to be a very big, and probably interesting change! For example, if (and this is a big if) they decide to make it so you keep items upon death placed on the player value, items like whips will protect over items with a higher shop value, but a lower player value, like dragon battle axes. This will help prevent scams, and help out no matter where you die. I remember one time I died and kept my rune full helm over an amulet of glory, back when they were around 95k.

This has a lot of potential use, and unfortunately, potential abuse. Someone could put up multiple listings for ashes in the grade exchange at millions of gp each, and use it to enter one of the one million gp duels. Hopefully Jagex will put in something to prevent this.

There might also be some sort of price check system, which will show the average price of an item, the range, or hopefully the range with obvious outliers removed.

So, I was wondering what all of your thoughts on this new update are.

mmm, my phat will never leave my head if that is true!

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

Jagex will probably have a code that averages all the prices of a certain item in the Grand Exchange, and have that as the "player price". Won't work too well IMO, they're ruining Runescape anyway.

Why wouldn't this work well?

I think this would be a pretty good update....

icecube7.jpeg

Actually to avoid abuse of "outlying prices" I expect the Player Value code to be based on completed transactions as opposed to asking price. That way people can't dump their items onto the exchange at vastly inflated prices to manipulate the Player Value. Proper statistical analysis can weed out the extreme cases.

2009 Member Goals: Undetermined

Good idea, I'll put that in. They could still use another account to buy it though. Maybe they would use your idea and still remove the ones that are far away.

the best way to do this would be by using the mode(most common) price, or by removing the extremes and averaging say the middle 50% of the prices

Or perhaps just get an employee to find out on the RSOF what the current prices are for each item. Well...a few employees!

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Good idea, I'll put that in. They could still use another account to buy it though. Maybe they would use your idea and still remove the ones that are far away.

The complete transaction would be awesome. My friend and I could both dump all our rune plates in and charge 999k for them each, and buy em off each other until the player value of rune plates is 500k-600k. :D

If they released the data on transactions you could get some serious economic models going. Think of all the transactions that take place during a day in RS. I wouldnt even want to venture a guess. But with that information you could do some serious number crunching and come up with some interesting forcasts and predictions as to where things are progressing. As well as seeing direct influences of updates on the economy. If this was around when skill capes came out, they could have seen the rise in prices of raw materials like lobsters (although you could see that without a graph, you get the point). This is actually kind of exciting, however, i doubt that they would release that information or have anyone work on compiling data for evaluation and study. It really wouldnt take much for them to either run it through a program and release a weekly statement or release all the information to the public somewhere.

sig3gk6.png

I don't know why several of you have mentioned hiring several employees to keep track of prices. Give me 15 minutes and I can figure out the going prices for MOST items from forums.

I doubt you will see a stock ticker like program that will always be updating.

Since a few people have talked about hiring staff to watch the prices, I would like to remind you that it woudl be a big waste of money to do that, that the only way ot do it for all items like they say would be an automated system, and they specifically said it would from the grand exchange.

I find this interesting.

I imagine the code would take a look at the completed trades and offered prices.

Then pick off obvious outsiders

ege if laws are selling 300 - 350 ea but there was a few 400ea and 200 ea offer they'd be ignored

Then take an averange or value central in the range.

If they get this working right I can see this having HUGE use.

eg:

As said they can implement this into the death system AND they culd make the shops reference this price and adjust in proportion.

Eg if the market price of laws rose by 5%, shop law prices culd automagically raise by 5%

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It is nothing too special, various other games track player prices on items and adjust ingame NPC prices on it, but it is surprising to see Jagex actually doing is. They are seriously attempting to change their stone-age trading system to a high tech capitalistic economy in one month. :lol:

Except that it's still communistic since people aren't even able to do with their money what they want - they can't even stake more than 3,000 gp anymore, which you almost already have when you leave tutorial island...

Yeah, Jagex lost their mind. I was positively surprised when they came up with the GE, but now I can only laugh about the ridiculous idea's they have about how their game works and how everyone should be playing it.

Read my lips: soon they will disable person to person trading to remove RWIT for definite. ;) That is, if they are smart enough to think of that option and actually have the guts to do it.

So basically, your saying that the inflation of rares will stop if they add this?

If the player prices stay steady with the Grand Exchange, i think there will be a bigger rant than the one now and the PC riots all combined. Stakers and Pc'ers weren't a huge part of the RS population, but many high leveled players have rares, and if the price suddenly stables out, not moving, and decreasing, I wouldn't be very happy either. I hope its just post your price, and no stable price.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

So basically, your saying that the inflation of rares will stop if they add this?

No. What gave you that idea :??

Well, when you say that bots would simply pour items into to increase the player price, but if they put a cap on from keeping players from doing this, don't you think they would put a cap from keeping the price go too low as well? The price would be so clustered it wouldn't move enough to really be called inflation, it would simply slowly increase in value.

Daigotsu had a good idea to help prevent this.

You say that the prices could be manipulated very highly for items that could possibly be used for scams, and Jagex may put in a cap, or some other thing that would keep from over pricing. I can understand that, but im saying that if Jagex says what something can and cannot be in price, and using "player pricing" be a step towards controlling the influx of prices?

Now i agree, that over pricing in the GE could cause scams, but there can be no clear cut solution, without the market's stability retaining its integrity. as you have seen already, the prices for rares have dropped drastically, and this is before the GE, which supposed to be the "merchant killer" but so far, rares have crashed a good 5m for lowers and 30m+ for phats and the GE isn't even out yet.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure Jagex already was automatically checking the prices of items via monitored trades. It's easy to see when it's one type of item for cash only or item for item. Putting that information through an algorithm can quickly determine the average price for any item in the game.

Going off forums (official or fan) is idiotic is it is not a guarentee of end purchase.

The Grand Exchange however can show EVERYONE, not just Jagex, what the real value of items are in game.

Going off that, I doubt you'll be able to know who's buying or selling any item. You MUST buy at the cheapest price and if you're selling to a want ad you must sell to the guy offering the most for that item.

That said, yes, I hope Jagex offers players choice on "Save on Death" to be set to either game prices or Grand Exchange average.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

if Jagex says what something can and cannot be in price, and using "player pricing" be a step towards controlling the influx of prices?

Now i agree, that over pricing in the GE could cause scams, but there can be no clear cut solution, without the market's stability retaining its integrity. as you have seen already, the prices for rares have dropped drastically, and this is before the GE, which supposed to be the "merchant killer" but so far, rares have crashed a good 5m for lowers and 30m+ for phats and the GE isn't even out yet.

I don't think they meant that Jagex would use the 'player value' to restrict offers on the exchange. Rather, offers on the exchange affect 'player value'. This wouldn't even come close to curbing prices, certainly not directly, in any case. Think of it as an in-game sort of reference for the general going price for an item, for example, if the player value of, say, sharks was identified as 750 gp, somebody could sell them for 1 or 10,000 gp as they wished, the only thing I can see a system like this actually reimposing itself in is the tendency of players not to pay much above the player value. Also, I don't consider myself an economy expert, so feel free to correct me if any of my deductions are incorrect :)

Owner of quest cape since December of 2006

wherzwaldo1.png