Future New Items, how will the GE affect them?

Rahila

Well, so far the GE is generally what everyone expected, but the fact that you can only determine prices using a 5% margin came to me a little unexpectedly.

Anyways, to get to my point, I'm curious to know how jagex will control the price of future tradeble items. Will they set a price at the beggining of a new items release, therefore manipulating the economy's natural price setting and balancing?

Or will they be smart about it and let the item's price settle out for a few weeks, and then be introduced into the GE?

Tbh, i seriously hope they go with the second idea, especially because of updates such as new skills, which will bring TONS of new tradeble items to the game (AKA summoning).

Post your thoughts.

I too hope that they go with your second idea. Those English [cabbage] are trying to run our lives! Just kidding, but I want to get rich of lazy people who want to level-up summoning quick.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Well, so far the GE is generally what everyone expected, but the fact that you can only determine prices using a 5% margin came to me a little unexpectedly.

Anyways, to get to my point, I'm curious to know how jagex will control the price of future tradeble items. Will they set a price at the beggining of a new items release, therefore manipulating the economy's natural price setting and balancing?

Or will they be smart about it and let the item's price settle out for a few weeks, and then be introduced into the GE?

Tbh, i seriously hope they go with the second idea, especially because of updates such as new skills, which will bring TONS of new tradeble items to the game (AKA summoning).

Post your thoughts.

Yes and no. They will attempt to set a market price. And in fact, they will set a market price, but only for the G.E. (If you want to humor me, and look at the G.E. as a separate market)

However, the trade/forum/w2 market will set the true price. Being smart has nothing to do with it. They can NOT control the price of new items as long as there is another method of trading in the game. Period. End of story.

Edit: To give an example. Think of the Abyssal Whip. Best weapon in the game when it came out. If the G.E. were around, and JaGeX wanted to set the price at 50k, they could simply put in a range of 45k to 55k, and set average price to 50k, right? wrong. No one would sell at that price, when they have the best item in the game. They would rather hold onto the weapon. Now think about what happens when people find out about this weapon. They make posts on the forums, offering what they are willing to pay for the item. WHAT THEY (the market) ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE ITEM.

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

Post your thoughts.

Yes and no. They will attempt to set a market price. And in fact, they will set a market price, but only for the G.E. (If you want to humor me, and look at the G.E. as a separate market)

However, the trade/forum/w2 market will set the true price. Being smart has nothing to do with it. They can NOT control the price of new items as long as there is another method of trading in the game. Period. End of story.

Edit: To give an example. Think of the Abyssal Whip. Best weapon in the game when it came out. If the G.E. were around, and JaGeX wanted to set the price at 50k, they could simply put in a range of 45k to 55k, and set average price to 50k, right? wrong. No one would sell at that price, when they have the best item in the game. They would rather hold onto the weapon. Now think about what happens when people find out about this weapon. They make posts on the forums, offering what they are willing to pay for the item. WHAT THEY (the market) ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE ITEM.

Yes i do agree with this point, but when summoning comes out, it's reasonable to assume that TONS of new items will be available to many players, and I realize that W2/forums is a seperate market, but if Jagex were to set the price in the GE for these items, the community would FOR THE MOST PART be strongly influenced by jagex's price range of the item.

Post your thoughts.

Yes i do agree with this point, but when summoning comes out, it's reasonable to assume that TONS of new items will be available to many players, and I realize that W2/forums is a seperate market, but if Jagex were to set the price in the GE for these items, the community would FOR THE MOST PART be strongly influenced by jagex's price range of the item.

If the government passed a law that stated that gas prices in the United States are not to pass 50 cents a gallon, how many gas stations do you think you would find?

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

You would find 0 stations.

Also, I think that the GC will shape all the new items.

Exactly

-Genghis Khan

If they are smart enough to do this in the future, why weren't they smart enough to widen the ridiculous trading range today, when there are effectively hundreds of items that are trading that normally do not?

I'm skeptical.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

If they are smart enough to do this in the future, why weren't they smart enough to widen the ridiculous trading range today, when there are effectively hundreds of items that are trading that normally do not?

I'm skeptical.

hmmm...Good point... :-k

I have a strange, bad, feeling that they WILL try to set the prices for future items.

Here's what will happen:

New items will have a pre-determined Grand Exchange price. However, as that will likely be FAR too low, most new items will be traded outside the Grand Exchange (to get a far better deal for the seller). Jagex will use these prices (as they can easily track player to player exchanges, that's how they got the starting GE price list) to update the New Item to a more reasonable player determined price.

With that, I think Jagex will be monitoring Player to Player trading on many items and use that (in addition to Grand Exchange) to update Grand Exchange prices. If they do not, I'd be disappointed in the oversight.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Most likely people won't want to sell it for the relatively low(for a brand new item) price that you can set on the G.e., so they'll go to the forums or w2 and make their own price.

Also, Jagex does control the economy. in a subtle way. Example:Jagex thinks whips are too cheap. Decrease drop rate of whips, less suppy for demand, price goes up. Do this with any item, like make people get yews very slightly slower, and the price will go up a little bit.

soldersig.jpg

I believe that not only will Jagex set up a GE price, but that we will use it for a good bit. Why? Because the GE and the shops have been connected. And with the introduction of Summoning, we will probably find new stores that sell the items that we will use for that skill.

pouserbarkp4.png

Project Onyx Staff Writer. Stories, articles, and opinions, oh my!

lol hi im back guys!

for more than 2 months lol im back in the forums and rs!

well btw

well it depends on how rare are those items. also if it has good use like stats etc.

for example:

whip cost 1.3m-1.4m

a new item is released so lets call this new item abyssal sword.

it has alot more str bonus that abyssal whip, and they have the same speed.

of course for me ill go buy that abyssal sword instead of the abyssal whip.

so alot of people will be buying abyssal swords than whips. which will affect the abyssal whips. less people will buy them so the prices go down. poof! there goes whips. :boohoo:

EDIT:

well if jagex made a shop for those new items it will also affect the GE. but if they can only be obtained by monster drops.. well if the item is good it will affect the GE. so every new usable item affects GE :ohnoes:

asasasasaslx7.png

Gg, I do not understand your post at all.

Anyway, if they DO set a price of items as they come out it'll help us determine how "rare" it is depending on it's starting price compared to similar items.

Although just think about, if there was GE when godwars came out, Jagex would have most likely set all 4 hilts to the same price which obviously would be the wrong move to make.

Hopefully Jagex let us decide on the price before dumping it in GE.

I've seen this question asked on the RSOF yesterday, and if only I could quote the J-mod who responded but he said new items would be given set prices compared to other similar items. I don't know if you can understand that but, for example if there is a new ring that comes out with +3 str, they will set the price according to similar items with close matching stats, in my example this would be the zerker ring. Hope this helps.

iamgodzc1.png <<< Click for 99 Fishing Blog!!

Dragon drops: 1 D Med 1/16/06

2 D chains from Dustys 3/18/07 & 4/28/07

2 Guth Spears: 3/5/08 & 6/12/08

I've seen this question asked on the RSOF yesterday, and if only I could quote the J-mod who responded but he said new items would be given set prices compared to other similar items. I don't know if you can understand that but, for example if there is a new ring that comes out with +3 str, they will set the price according to similar items with close matching stats, in my example this would be the zerker ring. Hope this helps.

Thats what i was afraid of... -.-

The prices are reset every 24 hours right? What's gonna happen when summoning comes out. Everybody is going to want to buy materials for it. They're all gonna go to the GE and buy with prices from yesterday. I think that's good.

I remember when Construction came out, Nails were selling for incredibly high prices. I guess this is another good thing about the GE. No taking advantage of ppl.

clbqf5.jpg

Dragon drops: D med x3, D Spear x2, Left Half x1, D2h x1

Crawling Hands X4, Cockatrice heads X2, Basilisk head X2, Kurask head X1

Support me in the drop race

I agree with the second option...they can't tell what the price of a item is until the game merchants make the price stable...who knows what will happen...