I Have the Right to Remain Silent

qeltar

You have the right to remain silent, and players have the right to act on their suspicions, even if they may be wrong. If you didn't macro, then you have nothing to be worried about. Case closed.

Were talking about Jagex here. Not a nice and good Customer Service.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again this belongs in the rants forum qeltar. why not check out the rants forum? everything you say is always negative, what a downer. and the insults towards jagex are really unfounded, they're trying to improve the game and make it better and they're doing a good job and i know you'll come up with some excuse to make yourself look good. dont bother.

people would like you a lot more if you werent so slanted towards focusing on negative things and ignoring all the positive but again i dont think you'll listen to reason, you'll just go off on another tangent so why even bother addressing you.

i think you need a check up from the neck up. =;

What's negative about what he's saying? He's saying that jagex is promoting a culture of fear and turning players into wanna-be mods. There shouldn't be such a stigma to someone not replying. Sure it's unfriendly, but we do have the ability to turn chat to friends and people don't need to freak out just because someone doesn't respond. Just because people want to be pmods by reporting as many people as they can, we have this environment of players not looking out for each other, but using each other when they can to report each other and raise their own chances in becoming a pmod.

How is it Jagex' fault, that certain players believe they have higher chances of reporting random people who don't respond?

I'd like to know which role Jagex, as a company plays in the way people choose to think. Its basically blaiming Jagex for letting stupid people play, isn't it?

It's jagex's fault because of how they've implemented the reporting system. They shouldn't have made it public that reporting increases your chances of becoming a pmod. Now we have a community where someone will report you if you say "tip it" because they think they'll become a pmod. Granted the report system is great for obvious reasons, but it also creates just a really bad environment that we didn't have before pmods were introduced.

This thread is based on the fact that people report , in hopes of becoming a p mod.

Maybe we should return to before there were no p mods, and everyone could put an auto character selling gold, items, characters.

Advertising websites.

Scamming people openly .

Extensively swearing and being tards to other players in general.

These reasons are why we now have pmods, to those of you who didn't play before that.

So now is the time to weigh the scales, is it, or is it not worth it having some people offended by some newb who "reports" them for botting.

Or is it more important to take away player mods, and have a massive increase in what I mentioned above in the situation before player mods?

This whole thread is typical RS scenario.

1.Jagex puts in pmods , which actually DO HELP.

2. Someone gets pissed off over some ordeal and starts a motion to get rid of pmods, as they in their own opinion absolutely were better off without them..

I didn't say pmods should be removed. I said the whole system should be changed. Pmods shouldn't become pmods based off mass reporting. Or at least jagex should state reporting doesn't make you a pmod. All too often someone eagerly reports someone for saying something like "di on RANDOM_NAME," then the report comes to someone who doesn't know what's going on, and the guy gets banned. The problem is the lengths people go in reporting anything and everything they possibly can. Don't remove pmods, remove the public perception that reporting makes you become one.

Two hundred thousands cant tell between a robot and a human. This is often true in reality and Runescape.

People are idiots and you just have to deal with them sometimes, but if you get banned for not answering when some level 17 asks "3m0t3 pl0x4g3?!?!??!???!??!??!" then you have a justified reason to be mad or what ever emotion.

Only you can have the satisfaction of knowing the person saying you are a bot, is indeed, an idiot. That is worth it to me in the end.

bazrippingjagex.jpg

This thread is based on the fact that people report , in hopes of becoming a p mod.

There's not one single word in my article about people who "report in hopes of becoming a p mod". That was deliberate, because I don't have any evidence of that; I consider it a rumor.

Maybe for once you could actually READ the article before you start passing judgments on it? :wall:

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

LOL your article just sparked a memory, one time i was skilling on my pure and i didnt want to talk to anyone, all those fake mods were asking me questions like if im not a autoer say blah blah i dont remember tht much,

but then they reported me for no reason. just cauze im lv 10 with 80 wcin and mineing lmao.. 100 points to qeltar \' \'

8a6769dab0.png

You make some good points :)

I too get really ticked off when noobs, for lack of a better word, continuously pester me when I high-alch.

Since I want to get through the most material as fast I can, I usually just alch and don't reply to lame statements like?

"10k fo ur wiz g??"

"wat is da light??"

"kun"

"lvl 91!"

"plz free stuf"

and the list goes on and on...

over and over till they get bored or angry enough to shut up

Its ridiculous that these people demand a reply, when I honestly couldn't care less.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't ignore everyone, as long as they act decent and attempt to speak as a normal person, not a begging 10 yr old.

Its things like this that really make me feel sorry for people who've been perm. muted, I just hope Jagex doesn't take lame reports from noobs like this seriously...But i guess they don't since i'm well past 99 mage and yet to get a single black mark on my account.

I have to the right to ignore if i want :)

If you're not willing to go through a few steps to try to test a suspected autoer, don't report them.

-Talking to them is a way to test, of course. Also, see if their private chat is on and try to communicate with them through that.

-CHECK THEIR STATS. If they have a whole bunch of skills listed in the high scores they are probably NOT bots. If it's one at 70 and the rest aren't ranked the odds are better that they are.

If they are level 4, named "ghd75k5" with 70 woodcutting and nothing else, wear the default gear and will not respond to any stimuli, you've done all you can to give them a chance to prove their self and you reporting them wouldn't be unreasonable. Beyond that, you can't do anything, and it's up to Jagex to work it out.

melkolmr.png

Its not entirely Jagex's fault, with so many players a report abuse function is a necessity.

When you see 20 lvl 3 characters stood by a tree hacking away all in the same clothes with names like 'xx3483 3 2 1 ' , then most probably they are bots and you have every reason to report them and are providing a useful service. However the fact that a report function exists means it will be abused, people will report anything and sometimes misjudge a situation, other times people wont even understand what an abuse is and yet other times people will spam reports for whatever reason.

Summation:reporting bots = good, reporting everyone who is rude/doesnt sell you stuff/doesnt answer your inane comments/ reporting without having a context for whats going on = bad.

Edit:before the shop update I started a second character for some reason and was trying to buy arrows from the arrow shop in Varrock, I tried 20 servers and on every one was a bot buying all the arrows, they all had the same gibberish name with different numbers, they were definitely bots and they were all reported, thats what the report functions for.

-CHECK THEIR STATS. If they have a whole bunch of skills listed in the high scores they are probably NOT bots. If it's one at 70 and the rest aren't ranked the odds are better that they are.

This shouldn't be relied on heavily either, high level players auto as well, its foolish to be so naive.

Why just two weeks ago I was mining coal and superheating it into rune bars in the mining guild and i happen to notice a lvl 117 with a trimmed attack skill cape. Out of pure curiosity I pop the question: "Mining level (insert name)?". I got no response and just assumed the player was being rude or muted or whatever. Lo and behold, 1 minute later the same player gets a rock golem random event. I was expecting the player to either kill it quickly or just run away, and therefore i was surprised when they ran a little bit, were attacked by the range strikes of the golem and auto-attacked it. It got stranger yet as the player ran a little bit away once again after taking some damage, and then was reeled in for a second time. This cycle continued for a good 10 minutes, up to the point where the player was dropped to about 5 hitpoints, maybe less, and the golem just disappeared for no reason. The player remained stationary for another 5 minutes after.

Now I know this isn't absolute proof that they were autoing, but from my point of view it was definitely an autoer.

Before I'm flammed for assuming, this was no tactic for killing the golem, since they were taking damage while they tried to run and stay away, plus the player was fishy from the start (this post is long enough already, I'm not going to go into further detail).

Just some food for thought, not all autoers are low level players.

Fortunately, the game allows us to turn off public chat and just play quietly if we want to, so thereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s no problem, right? Wrong, thanks to the ongoing obsession that some have with finding ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅbotsÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I think a good idea would be to prevent people from making reports until they've spent a decent amount of time in game, say a weeks worth. And by that I mean 168 hours, not "this character has been created a week".

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I was cooking lobs for 99 when some kid walks up to me. He asks what am I cooking. I was talking to a friend so I didn't respond. Then I saw that he accused me of being a level 102 no-life bot. I had no tell my friend to pause the conversation for a bit so I could yell at him to stop being so paranoid. Then he just called me an auto-talker.

I Have the Right to Remain Silent

and i will untill jagex decide to do a update that targets rwt untill then why should i put myself in a position to be reported because of my responce to a less knolagabal player. after all i am not a babysitter. dont think for one moment that wannabess end the moment they become mods mods fourm is exactly the same as in here and ingame.

while there are amazing mods theres also tossers that stop modding as soon as the ego ticket has been rewarded .

5000 ingame pmods

1000 pmod reports

500 reports acted upon in a game population off 10 million

pmoding needs to be ranked who are the best pmods in the game who are the deadwood.

iv played near 7 years not one black mark the only way i can get a black mark is to abuse the report button or speak ingame and for my conversation to be completly misentrpreted by the blind deaf and dumb cs team

burrrppp

I love reading your post qeltar, you do see a lot of people reporting people when they are low lvl and doing stuff such as wcing willows in draynor, or spinning flax in lumbrige. I remembered when i started playing i was reported a lot for wcing oaks and willows at 5 combat (i was a pure wc when i starte playing and i had no idea what a bot was). I was mad and worried that i was going to be banned for somthing i didnt do. Thats why 1 weekend i got my combat up to like 15 and then i started wcing again.

-Haseo

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Meh I will continue to report those people. Why? am I some creepy jerk who enjoys tormenting you? no, I just really really hate bots. Furthermore, I still don't understand why you just don't leave public on? Is the mindless chatter of noobs really THAT bothersome?(personally I just ignore them.)

signature.png

Good article. The rs community is getting so much younger than it used to be, gettin to ages like 10,11 and 12, most of these newer players are uniformed and only look for the most basic characteristics in a bot, plus some of them handle situations in an imature nature, leading to more problems :/

No offense to anyone of those ages cause i also know some that age that are very mature.

Whitening75.png

Whitening75.png

Whitening75.png

Well, I sent JAGeX a message on this. I've been reported in the past for not talking, so I asked JAGeX if I could be banned for it, they replied that they can tell when someone's using a bot. :D

:lol:

Well, of COURSE they tell you that. What would you expect them to say, "gee, we have no clue so maybe you'll get banned, sorry about that!"? :)

Ask the police and criminal investigators and they'll tell you all about how they can tell criminals apart from innocents. But everyone is human, even Jagex, and the more spurious reports sent in, the greater the chance of mistakes being made.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Do you know anyone who got unfairy banned for "autoing"? I don't care what players think of me, as long as I play the game fairly without fear of accidentally breaking a rule. If someone reports me for autoing just because I don't speak to them, I feel sorry for that person.

Well, I sent JAGeX a message on this. I've been reported in the past for not talking, so I asked JAGeX if I could be banned for it, they replied that they can tell when someone's using a bot.

Any proof of that?

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

I agree with the "I am Muted" emote. An easy, useful and practical update that the whole community would benefit from.

About the text, I must say I've felt what you say there myself. It is quit annoying for me specially since I'm F2P and smelting 12k bars (back and forth from bank/furnace). People start following me and asking me for stuff, lvls, what mask I'm wearing, etc...

I, half the time, am not even looking at what they're saying 'cause I'm pm'ing friends or just browsing the TIF. The other half I'm either on public chat "friends" or "hide" seeing as, quite honestly, I don't give a penny for what random people have to say by asking me annoying questions.

Yet, I reply. Huh? Didn't you say you didn't care about what they have to say? Yep, even so I respond from time to time so people don't assume I'm a bot. I mean c'mon it's unfair and annoying that I'm forced to reply to other players who are simply annoying me just so I don't get reported and defamed at the eyes of Jagex (maybe even banned, judging by how things are run nowadays... :? )

Simply put: something has to be done, and it can start by Jagex supporting and public announcing they are aware of how unfair and annoying it is for players to feel obliged to reply to others, to avoided being confused and treated as a cheater (being reported).

It's not our fault people report anything they think is minimally suspicious and are poor judges of situations. We have the right to play the game our own way and not be influenced by them.

bottomsupsiggyori.jpg

Runescaper since June 2005

Blog

I only have one question.

If you write so much negative articles about runescape(I do enjoy reading them btw), why not move on to another game? :|

How the hell is this post negative? He was just saying, throughout the article, that there are too many people who assume your a bot for not responding to their stupidity. People like them don't deserve to become Pmods, let alone have the ability to report. And I agree with many previous posts, especially when talking of how noobs constantly report in the hopes of becoming a mod. The don't deserve becoming a mod, either.

I enjoyed the article, as always, Excellent work.

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

I only have one question.

If you write so much negative articles about runescape(I do enjoy reading them btw), why not move on to another game? :|

It's constructive criticism. It doesn't imply that he does not enjoy or like the game, simply he has ideas and opinions on how to make it better and wants to share them.

bottomsupsiggyori.jpg

Runescaper since June 2005

Blog

K, Solution plox? Is there a work around? Take away reporting/limit it? You can't just say yah that sucks. Also the amount of times high levels ( all of you) will be reported is very low, is it soooooooooo annoying or is it slightly annoying? Perspective much?

A guy said it before, this boils down to you being pissed off that stupid people are allowed to play, thats a valid concern but not Jagexs fault. Jagex does not: make people stupid, ask 6 year olds to play their game, tell people to use macros to autoplay, tell people to real world trade, tell people to be rude, tell people to spam and so on, at the end of the day if you want these problems stopped you need a cultural change in the community, you need people to be embarrassed to cheat and be abusive cause right now they are PROUD of cheating and acting like a pack of [developmentally delayed]s because thats just the way the game went, (given the nature of pvp in the game theres more nastiness than other Multiplayer games- I think a piece on PvP being fundamental to the problems of the game would make a good article Qeltar) , I'm sure Jagex is all ears if you have any good suggestions.