new pixel w.i.p - update 05/12/07

terley

someone mentioned 'hey when did terley get back', I didn't go anywhere, Just have a pretty hectic life atm so sunk back to lurker status for a while. Well it's a bout time I come out the shadows for a bit.

vistame09po5.pngvistame09vs3.png

new pixel sig so far, im trying to make the most of the mspaint default colours you get on windows vista. Was for the weekly challenge for pixeljoint but joined midweek and didn't finish intime. Didn't wanna rush it anyways, any critique would be wonderful.. This is the palette in question. Horrid, but a vast improvement on the usual mspaint palette.

mspaintvistapalettejq7.png

Referenced from myself, background has no meaning, I just wanted a huge monster rampaging in the back.. for kicks and giggles.

No rating please, (1-10/10) .. It won't help me.

vistame09copyhr8.png

[cabbage]s and giggles my [wagon]! :(

A few more detail and you could have had a picture as if its taken by a real camera instead of being made in Paint! :-X

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

could you be more specific? I don't like shading of it could mean anything, if theres a particular part that is bugging you, could you please point me in the right direction? Im determained to get some decent critique outta you guys.

vistame09copyhr8.png

Epic!

As for criticisms...

if this is modelled off of yourself then this will be harder as you can't post RL pictures.

I think that straight line across the sky forming the bottom of the clouds attracts too much attention, and perhaps the monster can be developed more, rather than just a silouette, there should be more contrast on him as the light from the fire is near.

Also, add detail to the smoke from the fire.

I think you should move the whole head down a few pixels so the eyes are more in line with the middle of the monster and the tower, because of the rule of thirds. There needs to be a bit less visible chin. Also, I don't like how the left eyebrow (my left) fades into blue, it's too much. But keep the blue there, just add some other colour in.

Overall though, incredibly good, one of the best pixels I've seen here in a long time.

MS Paint default colours, good sig, who knew?

spacescenev24.jpg

Hmmm.. You dither too much.. especially on his cheek and jaw..

Over in the right corner you have a large purple mass that has no shading whatsoever, rather inconsistent with the rest of the picture..

The purple patches on his eyebrows, nose, and cheeks are too dark..

Speaking of this, you have some really odd, uneven patches of color(the grass for example) where you have yellows and blues right on top of each other with no blending.. It reminds me of a LCD television screen viewed up close.. -.-

There's a monster in there somewhere? Because I looked all over the sig, and I couldn't see it at all..

unoalexi.png

Here be dragons ^

Dragon of the Day

ryZi.gif

Woot! Terley's back!

Very nice wor once again. Head has some awesome potential. Anatomy is just great! Also the background is really nice, specially the tower.

Well done!

Your signature is just perfect :-$

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

[Star Wreck][PM me][My gallery][DeviantArt][Cool T-shirts!]

[iron Sky - Trailer is now out!]

lol pomar are you just posting to boost your postcount or what.? jesus..

Ok some great comments guys, tried to take what you all mentioned into consideration. Should be nearing completion.

vistame09vs3.png

runemetsa - Thanks man, ive been a'lurking the last few months. This place will always be a home for me it's where I started.

LP - Yea I think theres something not quite right about the eyes, tried to make some adjustments to the sizing but I think it came down to the pupils. thanks.

rushrock - I didn't like the bluiness either, im just experimenting because with such little colours to choose from you can either get away with sneaking in colours that ordinarily shouldn't belong or it can totally backfire and look too unatural. Im glad you think it looks realistic, I was just going for making something outta nothing considering the palette restrictions n all.. cheers again.

destro3979 - Thanks a lot destro, nice to see you're still about. Can't wait to see what you post in the future.

Unoalexi - Tried to take a lot of it into consideration but a certain level of dithering was necissery for the face because with only a few colours I have little to no choice but to try blend it to the best of my abilities. Thanks for your post.

np_tyler - Cheer ::' Glad you like it.

pryomancer - Thank you for taking the time to give some decent critique, I found myself flicking back to what you wrote as guidence on areas that really needed working on. Yea It's a pitty I can't post a RL picture here, but in a way its better you don't see it because this way I get some honest opinions about whether it looks believable in this scene. The photo has different lighting and if I copied it to perfection it may look outta place.

robo - sorry didnt reply in my previous post, but thanks for your comment tried to de-cheesify the face a bit.

vistame09copyhr8.png

1. Yeah i love to rise my post count :D

2. No i dont post here to rise it. I just wanted to say that shading of face is bad :D I dont know how i could explain it. But i will try :D :

- So. IMO you shouldn't use "square" shading(do you know what i mean?)

- You should use normal shading, just from light color till dark color, without using squares.

(BTW thanks for rising my postcount by 3 :D )

mysig2.png

----TheLair Game!----

"Game isn't dead... You wish!"

you do know this is pixel art don't you? :D :D :D

No I have no idea what you mean by square shading, are you just pointing out an unsolvable flaw? because theres no other way to blend without adding more colours, and im working to a restricted palette.

vistame09copyhr8.png

you do know this is pixel art don't you? :D :D :D

No I have no idea what you mean by square shading, are you just pointing out an unsolvable flaw?

I believe he means dithering Terley, and how it's clearly visible. And hey, as you said, with the colour restrictions there's no real alternatives.

Loving the sig :P Only real thing I can think to add to it now is maybe some more definition in the smoke from the fire, the majority of it is just a blue blur at the moment heh, maybe the same deal with the middle of the clouds in the background, it's just the one colour.

Apart from that, loving it :P

*Is also glad you're back seeing as your guide taught me to pixel hehe*

~HiiM~

He can't use "normal shading, just from light color till dark color" because he is using a limited palette...

Umm... One thing that I don't like as well about the new version is the lack of dithering on his jaw. Another is the removal of the darker shade by the bottom of the tower.

- Np Tyler

oh hey hiimben bin a while. yea there's no real way to get around dithering in some areas, especially on the cheek theres a lot of gradual shade blending which would of course be maybe too noticable, but I have tried to reduce it quite a bit. The only other way to make it smoother is to add another shade which breaks the restrictions.

np_tyler, yea ridding of some of the dithering was because people mentioned it was too much, i'll try see how I can meet halfway.

Im trying to keep the foreground and the background apart for depths sake so was trying to avoid using such strong colours for the bg incase it stood out too much or divert attention, also things in the distance don't usually have too much contrast with the palette I can only hint important shapes and let the imagination take over. I did like that darker shade though under the tower, just as it was attatched to the face it may attract too much attention.

vistame09copyhr8.png

It really is incredibly realistic, and you're telling me it's a pixel? How long did this take you to make? Wow. :shock:

And yeah, forgot about the default colors. I guess nothing can really be done about that, but dude, awesome pixel. Hope to see more work from you. :)

Hey terley! When did you get back? :wink:

Incredible detail on that....the thing that is really, really bugging me is the tear duct. It appears to be swelled. Does he have an eye infection? :P

Make it a bit smaller...and it'll be pretty damn perfect.

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

The shades of the right cheek (portrait's) don't work as well because they make the middle seem like a buffer shade. Dithering just adds to the confusion.

I tried an edit and improved the readable form slightly, but the problem is the contrast in the two darkest skin tones, not your technique.

Very impressive work and welcome back.