PHATS AND MASKS

duke i think you should just give up

he'll never understand :roll:

This is the best discussion I've ever been a part of on these boards, but I'm sorry if you don't think it's meaningful.

lpinkus

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this post is pointless...

As I already said...this is the best discussion I've ever been a part of on these boards. Why say it's pointless? Add your opinion if you feel like making your post count go up. I'm not being nasty, I'd really like to hear other takes.

lpinkus

What I fail to understand is that you don't see the link between rares in rs and famous art in real life.

I do see some links, but I don't think it's completely the same.

Let me show that they have everything in common:

1) They both can't be reproduced. (This partly explains their high pricing from an economical stance)

2) They are both based on 'sentimental' value. Party hats are expensive because there are people who like their looks. Art is expensive because there are people who "see deeper things" in it and thus they think it's worth a lot.

3) Both really have no use. No - that you can see "deeper thoughts" in art or that art "delightens" you is not useful at all. If you do think that's useful, then party hats are useful too, as they show that you "worked hard to gain so much money to afford them" and / or "that you've playing rs for a long time".

1) is true. 2) is not, in runescape or real life. I would guess that most party hat buyers are investors, merchants who are buying lower and selling higher, not people who are enchanted by the way a phat looks :) Maybe I'm biased because I understand what it takes to produce great music, but I'm sure it takes longer than coding the pixels for a phat.

With 3), I half agree. By your definition of "useful," I agree, but I think the average human being is more greatly affected (not to mention enriched) by good music, be it Beethoven or Niravana, than by the artfulness in a phat. This is besides the fact that they are hard to/take time to acquire, but it also takes time to acquire a taste for some of the greatest music, and art, and food, etc. Again, in a cold sense of "useful," I agree, but I would give up Runescape before I gave up Ravel :)

lpinkus

As I already said...this is the best discussion I've ever been a part of on these boards. Why say it's pointless? Add your opinion if you feel like making your post count go up. I'm not being nasty, I'd really like to hear other takes.

I was laughing when I read that because you posted 3 things in a row and only 1 of them had to do with the disscussion.

---

You also seem to think that Duke is trying to say famous art or a masterpiece of music has the same sentimental value as a phat. That is not what he is trying to say, he is sayign that the "feeling" is the same. Although the amount of the "feeling" varies it is still the same concept.

Let me ask you a little question that will help prove this feeling. Seeing how you seem to think that skill leveling is much more important then having a lot of money why is it? It's not like you raise skills just for the heck of it, it gives you sentimental value and makes you feel like you accomplished something. Although it may not be as much sentimental value to you as a musical masterpiece it still gives you some sentimental value.

just incase u dont know, the prices for masks and phats are constantly raising. some people want them because they look cool (ex. I really want a red mask cuz i want full zammy later and they look cool together) however, most people that buy them only do so so they can sell it for more later. it always feels good to buy something for 20k and sell it for 50k but its getting rediculous. i'm assuming that runescape wont just suddently stop, i think it will keep going on forever. In 5, 10 or even 20 years, the price for phats will be like 300mil and masks 200mil. lots of people starting rs will be like, "wow that's a cool mask, how much do they cost" and the person will be like, "200mil, but i bought it when they were only 900k and i dont feel like selling it" people starting rs in the future will never have a chance at these and to me that seems unfair. post what u think here and if u agree with me, send it as a suggestion to runescape and maybe they will set up some shop that sells them for like 20mil for phats and 3mil for masks so ppl that own them now wont be upset. they should also make a black mask, that would be awesome. what do u ppl think?

back in rs classic, i bought a yellow p-hat for 300k! then sold it for 400k :P

also, i traded a whole bunch of mith and cash for a santa hat, and i thought i got ripped off. i sold it later for 200k. now i had to buy a santa hat for 1,400,000. its ridiculous.

2) They are both based on 'sentimental' value. Party hats are expensive because there are people who like their looks. Art is expensive because there are people who "see deeper things" in it and thus they think it's worth a lot.

2) is not, in runescape or real life. I would guess that most party hat buyers are investors, merchants who are buying lower and selling higher, not people who are enchanted by the way a phat looks :) Maybe I'm biased because I understand what it takes to produce great music, but I'm sure it takes longer than coding the pixels for a phat.

Your making a mistake in your reasoning here. Merchants and investors may or may not have the largest market share in rares (I think you should be careful with saying that in the first place - I think 'normal players' own much more rares then you might think ;)), but they are not the ones driving the prices up on the long-term.

As you said yourself, they buy to resell. Although it might be true that merchants and investors sell a lot to each other, the real ones who drive the prices of rares upwards are the collectors and the show-offs. They actually take rares out of the market forever which creates less supply or shortage of rares. This shortage leads to higher prices.

The same is true for art. Museums buy art for huge prices because there is a shortage of art. Analysing it closely, museums are just 'representing' a lot of 'collectors' (for the lack of a better definition here) in the form of a 'non-profit organization'. (not sure if all museums are non profit - not really important though)

You also seem to think that Duke is trying to say famous art or a masterpiece of music has the same sentimental value as a phat. That is not what he is trying to say, he is sayign that the "feeling" is the same. Although the amount of the "feeling" varies it is still the same concept.

Yeah.

I was laughing when I read that because you posted 3 things in a row and only 1 of them had to do with the disscussion.

Yes, because I was trying to keep the posts on-topic. It's necessary to do that now and again, I guess. Sorry I didn't combine all my thoughts into one post; the TipIt staff can subtract 1 from my post count if they like:)

I agree with that.

Let me ask you a little question that will help prove this feeling. Seeing how you seem to think that skill leveling is much more important then having a lot of money why is it? It's not like you raise skills just for the heck of it, it gives you sentimental value and makes you feel like you accomplished something.

I understand this. I will say that I immediately see the money I earn in rs as the ability to buy *useful* items. These items will help me raise skills, which will earn me more money, etc. This is a weird comparison, but a mother and father earn money to support themselves and the people they love, not to tell their kids how much money they have :) If you open your wallet and see $300, that money is not valuable because it's made of paper. It's valuable because it can get you things you need or desire. Wait a minute...aren't party hats made of paper? I have no idea what that means :\

lpinkus

You['re] making a mistake in your reasoning here. Merchants and investors may or may not have the largest market share in rares (I think you should be careful with saying that in the first place - I think 'normal players' own much more rares then you might think ;)), but they are not the ones driving the prices up on the long-term.

I am wholeheartedly sorry if I hurt the feelings of rare merchanters or the simple owners of rares. I apologize :) But, when that rare owner gets tired of his party hat, I bet he's going to sell it and not give it away or alch it :)

Yes, I already posted that I agree with this. Well said. I just made a post on another topic where a guy wanted all the rares sold at Diango's because the prices are *now* "way out of control." You know, because I could see a phat being worth 20 million, but 18 million!? Well, now that's just ridiculous! :)

By the way, I just made my first million, so I'm well on my way to not buying a party hat :)

lpinkus

well im not about to read all the before pages so i just throw out a suggestion why not make a rare tax(luxury tax) :lol: since people with p have some much gp laying around why not make them pay to look pretty. :P You must pay a tax to trade a rare to a player and buyer must pay a tax to get rare :P . And make all rares appear instanly or get degraded if dropped or even make rares undroppable :twisted: . It would discourage people from buying rares but hey there still tradeable you just have have to pay a tax of lets say 1mill gp for each transaction or lets say for every 1mill gp offered you have to pay 200k .

well im not about to read all the before pages so i just throw out a suggestion why not make a rare tax(luxury tax) :lol: since people with p have some much gp laying around why not make them pay to look pretty. :P You must pay a tax to trade a rare to a player and buyer must pay a tax to get rare :P . And make all rares appear instanly or get degraded if dropped or even make rares undroppable :twisted: . It would discourage people from buying rares but hey there still tradeable you just have have to pay a tax of lets say 1mill gp for each transaction or lets say for every 1mill gp offered you have to pay 200k .

Coming from the anti-rare side, I do find this idea curious, but it would proabably make rare merchants pretty mad, as well as the buyers. I also don't think the merchants would decrease the prices; their unwillingness to do so is exactly what makes them rich. They would likely raise the prices so that their profit is the same. I also don't think JAGeX will ever interfere with the so-called "value" of these rares. They'll either let it be or immediately get rid of them/make them untradeable. JAGeX knows they made a mistake with the phat drops, but I give them credit in letting the economy be. They let players decide prices on whips, mauls, etc., despite the merchants having too much control. Of course, those prices will drop-the phat prices won't :)

lpinkus

Various problems and loopholes in your suggestion:

- Party hats aren't always traded for pure gp; and when this will be introduced they will definately not be traded for pure gp anymore ;).

- I could just let the person give me the cash for the rare first and then give him the rare in another trade afterwards. (also leads to increased amount of scamming again)

- Or drop the rare or sell it to a general store in a silent place (with the same scamming risks)

Way too many flaws to be a serious solution, and even then, like lpinkus already said: Jagex will never officially accept the value that players gave to the rares and thus Jagex will never come with a solution that shows they recognize the value of rares.

To lpinkus: Your comment that Jagex doesn't interfere in the economy isn't really true. I've seen dragon chain prices go from 9 to 14 to 30 to 20 to 30 to 20 to 30 to 20 to 30mil so far, just because Jagex was changing some things in the game design and thus in the game's economy - they don't seem to understand that major changes in the game will also cause major changes in prices of items ;).

And, if anything, Jagex only contributes to the profit of active merchants by doing so, so you should start complaining to Jagex about that :P.

Still, I bet they think about ideas to get rid of the phats all the time.

Sorry for bringing this up so much later in this thread but, i HIGHLY doubt they do that. If anything they probably have completely stoped thinking about removeing them. Party hats collect value so much do to all the money entering the game. Thats bad for people who want to buy one, and as the popular belief is, its completely one-sided for merchants. What would happen if you removed party hats? A horrible increase in everything to do with skills. You yourself have said your not affected by party hats, but you are, if they removed them and gave the merchants their cash, coal and other materials would skyrocket. My proof? RSC. You should be happy that there is party hats right now, becuase remove them, and your looking at maybe 300-400 a coal, and since you dont happen to own rares, you'd be hurting. Along with the rest of rs, it is far, far to late to do anything about party hats and jagex knows this. Rares keep prices on other items stable by "sucking up" money. It hurts a few people and makes others rich, but then again, the visa versa would literally screw almost everyone. Money is what makes rs turn, throw 5 billion dollars worth of cash into the market from removing party hats would undoubted change the economy drasticly, would it even out? Sure, every system will do that, but prices would gernerally be higher for everything.

I've followed posts about Party Hats for years and i've seen just about every idea that has ever been. I've even came up with a few of my own, but no matter how i think about it, someone gets hurt. My thesis is its just plain too late to do that now. When rs2 was started they could have blocked the transfer of party hats and kept them in rsc, which wouldnt mess up either economy, that was the only solution that i could come up with that wouldnt hurt anyone. The next chance they'll have that is in a rs3, which isnt even a rumor yet. I've been 'merchanting' these hats since pink was selling for 37m. Does this make me more inclined to be on the merchants side? No, it means that i've been pretty much forced to follow the market through the time, which just simply means that me, along with others like myself, should know about this.

This subject will never die. As long as there is a runescape there will be party hat debates, but either way, i find that in all games where there is rare items *that cannot raise in amount* that the economy is far, far more stable, and this is a positive effect that yall don't even seem to see at all.

Thanks for hearing my opinion.

~Ustilts~

siayer_katie.png

To lpinkus: Your comment that Jagex doesn't interfere in the economy isn't really true. I've seen dragon chain prices go from 9 to 14 to 30 to 20 to 30 to 20 to 30 to 20 to 30mil so far, just because Jagex was changing some things in the game design and thus in the game's economy - they don't seem to understand that major changes in the game will also cause major changes in prices of items ;).

And, if anything, Jagex only contributes to the profit of active merchants by doing so, so you should start complaining to Jagex about that :P.

Duke, that's interesting about the dragon chain prices. Were changes being made to the frequency of drops, design of the armor, stats of the armor, or something else?

I do think JAGeX understands, by the way, that the changes they make will affect the prices and that it is ultimately the merchants who decide. They're still not imposing limits in the game, i.e. it is impossible to trade said item for y gp. They also realize that such items can always be obtained somehow, although with difficulty, so eventually the quantity will increase and the price will fall. I don't think I'd ever complain to JAGeX about this, because a dragon chain has "usefulness," and we've already discussed the definition of that word :)

lpinkus

Still, I bet they think about ideas to get rid of the phats all the time.

I agree with really everything you said, but I also still think they'd like to get rid of them. :)

Also, I think you might be accurate in that prices of skill-based sales would increase, but I have no problem with that. That may be because my prime interest in RS is to raise skills, but that's what seems to be the most logical reason to play. I'm sure others would agree.

Then again, I could see merchants and buyers agreeing to "even out" the prices, especially since no items would exist in finite quantity any longer.

Thanks for your post.

lpinkus

Duke, that's interesting about the dragon chain prices. Were changes being made to the frequency of drops, design of the armor, stats of the armor, or something else?

Let's see if I can still remember why every price rise and drop happened :lol:. Luckely the news items of Jagex help me with it :).

7 september 2004: The first drag chains were traded for around ~30mil. Like it is always the same thing with new rares, they drop very quickly in the beginning and so the prices would go to 20, 15, 10 and around ~8.5mil is the lowest I personally saw one go.

27 september 2004: Apparently Jagex considered the queen too easy to kill. They gave the queen a new attack option. Now a team was needed to kill it. Prices of drag chains shot up from 9 to 14mil ON THE NEWS ITEM ONLY. One person who had been at the queen like all the time told me to buy chains as investement, because they actually were very hard to get now. I would not do this, mainly because I hate investing in an item where the game designers actually set the prices. My point that you can't rely on their prices would be proven multiple times :).

After 27 september 2004 (somewhere in december I believe): As a mid-long term result of the new attack option of the queen, the prices steadily to ~33mil.

??? (I think januari or februari): Not really a fault of Jagex, but there was a safe spot found for the queen. Prices quickly drop to ~20mil once this becomes common knowledge

Soon after that: Jagex solved the bug. Prices shoot back up to ~33mil.

18 april 2005: Dust Devils drop drag chains. Prices quickly drop to ~24mil.

After 18 april 2005: The price drop was a huge overreaction. Prices did shoot back up quickly again too.. Back to ~30mil.

9 may 2005: Barrows. Much better armour, drag chains drop to ~22mil almost instantly.

11 may 2005 or so: Jagex announced barrows will degrade by wearing it. After 15 hours of use you have to repair it. Chains shoot back up to ~31mil.

Yes, the worth of an item can be fully controlled by Jagex :).

i just dont understand that why pay 4mil on something that someone got for free,what the hell.You see pll with like 30 santas and 20 mask sets,how can that be called "not much left in the game",and thats not just 1,a lot off ppl have.

These holiday items show how long you have been around, i dont want some random noob that just joined walkin around in a holiday rare when ive been around since 2001 and i have this and such.

I can't believe that this topic refuses to die !!!! For as long as I've been reding these forums (only 6 months admittedly) there seems to be a regular whinge about the ever-increasing price of rares.

Let me say up front that I don't care about the price of these items, one way or the other. If people want to pay 100 million for something that adds nothing to your stats or abilities, and is totally useless (even a ball of string or a chisel has a purpose), then that is their decision. Good for them. At the same time, if the price dropped to 10gp tomorrow, I wouldn't care. I certainly wouldn't race out and buy one, I have enough stuff cluttering up my bank account as it is without adding to it with something that has no use whatsoever.

However, I am getting sick of the constant complaining about the rising price of these items. They are called RARES for a reason. Jagex isn't making any more of them, and as more and more people start playing the game (and those that have been around for a while start generating more and more cash with nothing new to spend it on) then the price of these items is going to keep on rising.

It's quite funny when you realise that the only thing pushing the price of these items up is that people still want to buy them !!! Chances are that if you want one, then so do plenty of other people. The only solution for someone upset that they can't afford to buy one ?? Have a good hard think about how truly useless they are as items, and get over it !!!

well i think its just unrealistic. there needs to have more money put back into rs. Also what bout them poor new people who wanna get ap hat. Only way is to merchent + it ruinds economy and the pplz with stats will never get a phat. Make stats important rs, make money nothing.

RS will become a game of level 3 merchents triyng to get phats for billions of gp.

I dont want a phat so i dont care. But these merchenters that are spending bils on phats are also making it hard for other peoples working on stats because everything is soo expensive. These phats are affecting rs worldwide.

My $0.02

Yes, the worth of an item can be fully controlled by Jagex :).

Yo. Sorry, I've been on vacation for a week. JAGeX was indeed affecting the prices of d chains in what you recounted, but what they had in mind was making the item difficult enough to obtain. Then, that change goes on to affects the street price. I think"controlling" is a strong word for what seems to be a side effect of JAGeX's actions. Again, I don't think they mind the prices being high, they just want to be sure the items aren't too easy to get.

lpinkus

Let me say up front that I don't care about the price of these items, one way or the other. If people want to pay 100 million for something that adds nothing to your stats or abilities, and is totally useless (even a ball of string or a chisel has a purpose), then that is their decision. Good for them. At the same time, if the price dropped to 10gp tomorrow, I wouldn't care. I certainly wouldn't race out and buy one, I have enough stuff cluttering up my bank account as it is without adding to it with something that has no use whatsoever.

However, I am getting sick of the constant complaining about the rising price of these items. They are called RARES for a reason. Jagex isn't making any more of them, and as more and more people start playing the game (and those that have been around for a while start generating more and more cash with nothing new to spend it on) then the price of these items is going to keep on rising.

It's quite funny when you realise that the only thing pushing the price of these items up is that people still want to buy them !!! Chances are that if you want one, then so do plenty of other people. The only solution for someone upset that they can't afford to buy one ?? Have a good hard think about how truly useless they are as items, and get over it !!!

rares do have some purpose. You are forgetting that some people would rather not play a game to click on an anvil for hours on end, or to click a coal ore for hours on end. Some people (duke, r2, ect...lol, im only naming the big merchants) like to become rich...if there was a high scores for it, lots of people would merchant. you guys are lucky that there are tradable rares. If not, the economy would be truly doomed. Rares are there to help people gain profit in a fair amount of time in order to buy skill raising items, or to gain more money and perhaps reach a gp goal. I myself recently got to 20m...on my way to 100m :lol: . I personally would rather gain one mil in two trades than to click on a tree or a rock for hours on end. I would rather be able to get gp in a day rather than having to wait weeks so I can collect enough items to sell. (and lets face it, when you reach high levels, its impossible to raise skills without buying stuff to help)

knightsoforderse9.png

LET THIS TOPIC DIE RARES ALTOGETHER ADD REALISM TO THE GAME BY 1: SHOWING SUPPLY AND DEMAND 2: SHOWING ADVERTISEMENT ON THE RS FORUMS 3: SHOWING THAT THE MAJORITY OF RS PLAYERS ARE SPOILED LIL BRATS WHO HAVE GOTEN EVERYTHING THEY EVER WANTED SO NOW THERE GOING TO WASTE A GOOD PERIOD OF THEIR LIVES TO GET IMAGINARY HATS

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE BEATEN WITH A TRUCK AND SO DO THEIR PARENTS BECAUSE THEY CANT TEACH THEIR CHILD WHAT NO ITS TO EXPENSIVE MEANS!!!

I apologize for my outburst but I feel given the situation i had everyright to say some small children need to be kicked in th face and told NO

if you want to buy one then you cant complain because the whole price range is YOUR FAULT these "merchants" wouldnt bother selling them if these spoiled lil brats didnt pay so much for them just so they can whine about the prices later

if you want to dubb this a problem then I have the ONLY solution is to find every 8-13 year old boy whos ever been on runescape with a sn higher than lvl 50

AND PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE