~ Gp Becoming More Obsolete? ~

Our_Moon

~Well, with the new updates, all prices will be moderated. You will not be allowed to buy nor sell Items for 3,000 Gp over/under their "value." And, Jagex has complete control over these values...~

~In the future, perhaps Item-for-Item trades will be just as common as Cash-for-Item ones. If you can buy an Item for say 6 Rune Plates, you can trade those to someone else for another Item. Hence, a barter economy. Granted Gp will always be preferred over Items, i think the number of Item-for-Item trades will increase dramatically soon.~

~Post thy thoughts.~

Our_Moon.png

I dont, because objects that are within the 3k gp range to trade would be very difficult to get within that amount.

Say if you want to buy 100k worth of p ess, and you trade for say 2 rune plates and rune plates are worth 42k ea. Then you wont be within the limit without adding an item of lesser value in the trade too.

Jaskkes.png

It doesn't sound any easier to trade in items than in gp. The Grand Exchange is automatically shifting the prices of the items up and down every day, so we'd need to know the current price of the item and ensure we'd got the right number of it to trade for whatever it was we wanted... Nah, I think I'll stick to cash for most of my trading needs.

I think geepees will remain the foremost trading currency as items have set values meaning it's very difficult to get a market worth whilst using sought after items which will be traded. Geepees are always sought after and they are the most variable tradeable item as you can vary them by one at a time, rune plates for example can be varied by 42000 at a time (in gold worth).

Sig.jpg

D'oh!

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms."

-Genghis Khan

If anything, Jagex ensured that GP will continue to play the role "money" in RuneScape forever rather than making it obsolete. After the January update, most trade will start to take place in the GE, which only accepts GP as payment.

In some respects, it may make barter trades easier, as the "net wealth transfer" indicator will show that the trade is fair, at least according to the somewhat artificial GE prices.

Previously, in barter trades, you had to know the value of every item to know if the trade was good, but in the world of "Runescape meets Club Penguin", that is probably unacceptable.

Only thing i find annoying in this is that JaGEx themselves have said that 'We are not going to give prices to any items, so please don't suggest anything like that' or something along the lines

So.. What are they doing now? EXACTLY that. making prices for items :|

[/url]">i_had_a_deal.png
[4Th in Finland to achieve 99 mining. 3Rd of June 2007]

Pixels make me horny.

Only thing i find annoying in this is that JaGEx themselves have said that 'We are not going to give prices to any items, so please don't suggest anything like that' or something along the lines

So.. What are they doing now? EXACTLY that. making prices for items :|

Heh, I remember them saying that. However, soon enough the players will start to influence these values more as 'The GE correction team @JT' start to kick in.

I wonder how long that's going to take...

~ W ~

sigzi.png

it's 3k gp difference if you pay cash for items, but it's exactly the same if you use items instead. And with the ge constantly changing prices, it'd be way harder to know if you'll be 3k off with your 3 rune plates as apposed to using cash and knowing what you're giving.