Marijuana, Is It Actually Bad?

wakka102

I think it's all good, in moderation. I smoke, but only once a fortnight, to a month at a time.

Make sure you're in the right setting before you try it also, be somewhere relaxing, at a mates place or something. And just because it's harder for the cops to detect it, don't smoke and drive. :P

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sure it's already been said...but:

the world always has, and always will revolve around money, how to make more of it, and how to keep the flows in control.

marijuana does not cause cancer; well no studies have linked it to it anyway...all smoke in contact with your lungs has the ability to cause cancer lol...THC can be eaten too :P, it is not habitual (well unless you overly abuse it, and that happens with anything), you cannot over dose on it, it helps blood flow and joint movements, it has actually slowed down lung cancer in mice/rats (can't remember), and the video is correct...it makes an orgasm that much better lol.

so why all the propaganda since you've been alive? it's already been stated: money. why sell a very inexpensive drug (if allowed to be legal) that can be grown anywhere by anyone (it'd prolly grow on Mt. Everest lol...exaggeration but you get the point).

over the counter drugs and prescription drugs, however, cannot be made as easily. so long as you're buying THEIR drugs...drugs are okie dokie. your doctors are always trying to force drugs down your throat, and so is the media.

if you go to a doctor and you aren't "on anything" they're shocked and surprised...and automatically try and find SOMETHING the matter with you so they can put you on it. "what? no medications? you sure you're ok? do you have trouble sleeping? are you too hot sometimes? do your nails grow slightly faster than your friends? do you get hungry sometimes?"

like Chris Rock pointed out with the media: "It's like: are you sad, are you lonely, you got athletes foot? Are you hot, are you cold, what you got? Ya want this pill huh, [bleep]? You gotta take this pill! And they don't even tell you what the pill does, you see a lady on a horse, or a man in a tub... And they just keep namin' symptoms: are you depressed, are you lonely, do your teeth hurt, what the [bleep]? I saw a commercial the other day that said, "Do you go to bed at night and wake up in the mo'nin?" Oh [bleep] they got one! I got that! I'm sick, I need that pill!"

the government doesn't care about your health...

In my personal opinion I think its bad for your health. So I have never done it nor plan to. However, I don't hold people who do against them, they can do what they want, just don't try to influence me to do what you do and we are kewl.

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

One of the reasons why marijuana is considered bad is because it's hard to get, and because it's considered taboo. People drop out of school for it because they spend all their money, not because the drug itself is bad. If people were taught early on how to use it responsibly (like many people in Europe are taught about alcohol) the problem would be smaller. This is all my opinion only.

In my opinion, the reason why it is illegal is because it would be too hard for the government to tax it, like they do with cigarettes.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

One of the reasons why marijuana is considered bad is because it's hard to get, and because it's considered taboo. People drop out of school for it because they spend all their money, not because the drug itself is bad. If people were taught early on how to use it responsibly (like many people in Europe are taught about alcohol) the problem would be smaller. This is all my opinion only.

In my opinion, the reason why it is illegal is because it would be too hard for the government to tax it, like they do with cigarettes.

Even if the drug isn't harmful, it should still be banned due to the fact people will overdose and abuse it.

Now you may spout "yeah but X is bad and people abuse it, so I don't see the problem", truth is tho, you don't really care what happens to "other" people as long as its not your family. When it DOES effect you, then you regret it, and that would be my counter argument.

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

Even if the drug isn't harmful, it should still be banned due to the fact people will overdose and abuse it.

Aside from the fact that a drug overdose is next to impossible with weed, there will always be irresponsible people who abuse every activity in this world.

Take video games, for example. If certain irresponsible teens waste their lives away to video games, should we ban video games?

What about coffee? Many teens and adults enjoy coffee responsibly, yet there are always those who abuse the substance and regret it later. Should coffee also be banned?

This can apply to anything: sports, sex, television, etc.

The responsible users of an activity should not be punished simply because of the actions of a select few irresponsible users.

Now you may spout "yeah but X is bad and people abuse it, so I don't see the problem", truth is tho, you don't really care what happens to "other" people as long as its not your family. When it DOES effect you, then you regret it, and that would be my counter argument.

Again, I'll use the comparison of video games.

If Runescape effects you or your family negatively (eg. a video game addiction) then you would regret it. Therefore, according to your logic, you should never play Runescape, or any other video game for that matter. :?:

Perhaps you could elaborate on your arguments. Right now they are sounding slightly hypocritical.

Aside from the fact that a drug overdose is next to impossible with weed, there will always be irresponsible people who abuse every activity in this world.

Take video games, for example. If certain irresponsible teens waste their lives away to video games, should we ban video games?

What about coffee? Many teens and adults enjoy coffee responsibly, yet there are always those who abuse the substance and regret it later. Should coffee also be banned?

This can apply to anything: sports, sex, television, etc.

The responsible users of an activity should not be punished simply because of the actions of a select few irresponsible users.

Again, I'll use the comparison of video games.

If Runescape effects you or your family negatively (eg. a video game addiction) then you would regret it. Therefore, according to your logic, you should never play Runescape, or any other video game for that matter. :?:

Perhaps you could elaborate on your arguments. Right now they are sounding slightly hypocritical.

(Just to start off, I define 'addiction' as done to the extent in which is to the detriment of more important activities, such as school, work, social life etc.)

There is a line to be drawn here. You should be allowed to experience something that is demonstrated to be mildly addictive in some cases, and be told to do it in moderation. If you fail to keep that activity in moderation and do it to the point where you are truly addicted, then you should be prevented from taking part in that activity in the future. Examples include Alcohol, Caffeine, and Video Games. These should be considered 'legal'.

However, there are some activities which is considerably more addicting, and as a result there are far too many cases of addiction to that activity. It is not worth experimenting with this activity in the hope that you can do it in moderation because it is usually too addicting to do so. Examples include illegal drugs such as cocaine, heroin, LSD etc. These should be considered 'illegal'.

Of course, the problem is where do you draw the line? I think that we should place the line just before tobacco and marijuana, making them both illegal. In fact, it's happening now.

The scale should be this (left of line= legal, right of line= illegal):

Recreational Activities, Caffeine, Alcohol // Tobacco, Marijuana, Other Soft Drugs, Hard Drugs.

Marijuana is illegal in most countries, and tobacco is only still legal because there is a tradition behind it and must be approached slowly, to avoid a fiasco similar to the Prohibition of alcohol in the USA from 1920-1933, which resulted in corruption in those who were supposed to enforce prohibition, 'speakeasies' (illegal bars) popping up everywhere, and in total was an epic failure. Alcohol was too hard to illegalise because it was being drunk in moderation. Tobacco has already been banned from public places in many countries, and is slowly being removed from society.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Just wanted to post some video's for people to enjoy...

The first one: GRASS - The History of Marijuana

It's cut into 8 parts and it's about the war on marijuana in the U.S.

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

part 6

part 7

part 8

The second: Magic Weed - The story of cannabis

This one isn't so much about the smoking of marijuana, but more about the history of hemp throughout the world and its various uses. I know it isn't very relevent to this discussion, but it's interresting to watch none the less. :wink:

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

As far as this topic of discussion is concerned, I don't really have anything new to add. I live in the netherlands, I have used weed to smoke and eat, I have first hand experience with what it does to people and I'm for legalizing it.

There aren't really a lot of drawbacks. People are going to buy it, whether it's legal or not, so I recommend the goverment legalize it, so it can be controlled.

I am knowledgeable with it's drawbacks, in part because I have seen or experienced them myself and in part because my mother works at the GGZ (it recently changed it's name, but whatever). I don't really know of a good translation for it, but the best I can think of is mental care. It's where the crazy people go... (It isn't just for crazy people, but this way people will understand what I mean)

My mother has had a lot of experience with people who come there because of drugs and the only people she has had dealings with that came there because of the use of weed are the ones who started to have mental problems. These were always people who were inclined to have these problems anyway (genetics I think) and the weed just made it appear (sooner).

I don't have any problem with people who use weed, but I recommend you always check first to see if people have had mental problems in your family before. If so, be wary of using it. Regardless of mental problems in your family, always make sure you are feeling comfortable whereever you use it and never use too much. :wink: I will repeat, to prevent a bad trip, being in a comfortable environment is key!

best-guide-ever.jpg

Im not sure if your from europe but where i live and many countries i have visited in europe many young people drink regularly just to get drunk so they enjoy the night more.

I live in ireland, ive been drinking since i was 14, So have most of my friends. I drink to get drunk and oftenly its at house parties, raves etc etc.

Same story in the UK.

Same in portugal and spain (i have villas in both so i have many Portuguese and spanish friends)

I think there is not much of a problem in germany or france.

Dont know anything about eastern europe.

I think the government dosnt know enough about it. I did work experience when i was 15 in the department of health. I was the assistant to the assistant of the minister for health. On my last day i asked her what are the differences in term of harm done between alcohol and marijuana. She couldnt name any of the factual differences and many she said were completely wrong.

Also the government always gos with what the majority want. The majority dont know the facts and think marijuana is bad. If the government legalized marijuana it could lose them votes in the future and they wouldnt want that :roll:

The scale should be this (left of line= legal, right of line= illegal):

Recreational Activities, Caffeine, Alcohol // Tobacco, Marijuana, Other Soft Drugs, Hard Drugs.

Marijuana = recreational activity

Caffeine = hard drug

Alcohol = hard drug

You say keep two hard drugs legal, while banning all soft drugs? And smoking is a recreational activity. Basically, all that scale is demonstrating is the influence that propaganda has on people.

I agree about your line, I think you put it very well, but it is ridiculous to place marijuana on the bad side of the line in the middle of hard drugs such as cocaine and heroin when it is a soft drug and no where near as harmful or addicting as caffeine, which is on the good side. Next to alcohol, of all things, one of the most harmful drugs out there. And 'recreational activities' includes smoking and other forms of taking drugs, so that really can't be there.

Alcohol being on the good side of the line really kills your argument. You say its there because it is drunk in moderation - as opposed to the ridiculously immoderate and excessive smoking of marijuana? Please. Allow me to again rehash statistics: marijuana has never been the direct and sole factor in a smoker's death, and in the last several years only 280 related deaths have been recorded. Compare that to the drunk driving deaths, alcohol poisoning, liver disease, etc.

p2gq.jpg

There is a line to be drawn here. You should be allowed to experience something that is demonstrated to be mildly addictive in some cases, and be told to do it in moderation. If you fail to keep that activity in moderation and do it to the point where you are truly addicted, then you should be prevented from taking part in that activity in the future. Examples include Alcohol, Caffeine, and Video Games. These should be considered 'legal'.

However, there are some activities which is considerably more addicting, and as a result there are far too many cases of addiction to that activity. It is not worth experimenting with this activity in the hope that you can do it in moderation because it is usually too addicting to do so. Examples include illegal drugs such as cocaine, heroin, LSD etc. These should be considered 'illegal'.

Ah, so many misconceptions here. I'll try to clear this up with as many sources as possible.

Caffeine:

"Caffeine is the world's most widely used mind-altering drug." -- Dr. Roland Griffiths

In many Western societies, caffeine is thought of as a harmless drug -- this is sadly untrue.

There are around 170 million caffeine addicts in the US alone.[1] And yes, like any addiction, a caffeine addiction can be detrimental to school, work and social life -- as well as the user's wallet! Coffee is not exactly a cheap "fix".

In the U.S., more people are addicted to caffeine than any other drug![2] If you don't consider that "enough cases for addiction" then I'm not sure what is.

There are more than 6 times as many caffeine addicts as there are marijuana users!

Caffeine has shown to leave many nasty withdrawal symptoms, showing it to be both physically and mentally addicting.[3] Caffeine is also known to cause various psychological issues, including substance-induced psychosis.[4]

Marijuana:

While nobody would say marijuana is not addicting, many studies have shown it to be far less addicting than current legal commodities, such as alcohol, tobacco and caffeine.[5][6]

Although there are exceptions, the majority of the population has no trouble quitting. A study in Amsterdam showed that 90% of cannabis users were able to quit.[6]

Although heavy use of marijuana can induce withdrawal symptoms, they are generally relatively minor and most users are able to overcome them. Much of marijuana's addictive potential is in psychological addiction. There are some users, notably those self-proclaimed potheads at your school, who smoke to the extent that their hobby gets in the way of school, work, money, etc.

Alcohol:

"WHO estimates that nearly 140 million people worldwide suffer from alcohol dependence and 78% are not treated."[7]

Alcohol has proven time and time again to be extremely addictive, and an alcohol addiction can be extremely detrimental to one's social, work or health aspects. Alcoholics Anonymous exists for a reason. Many lives have been destroyed due to alcohol addiction. Alcohol is an extremely dangerous drug -- if you wish I can turn the topic over to alcohol and we can discuss it's death toll, domestic violence, wreckless driving, overdoses, etc.

Alcohol has more severe withdrawal symptoms than heroin, cocaine and nicotine.[8] Some studies have even ranked it more lethal and addicting than cocaine (nasal).[9]

LSD:

"LSD has zero physical addiction potential. It is not physically addictive and it is not a drug that you will want to immediately do again."[10]

LSD-25 is often ranked extremely low in terms of both physical and psychological addiction. Most studies place it far lower than caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and even marijuana.[11][12]

Others:

I'm sure we can both agree that nicotine, heroin and cocaine are all quite addicting substances. I'm a little too tired to find any more sources, so I hope this will suffice.

i'm sure it's already been said...but:

the world always has, and always will revolve around money, how to make more of it, and how to keep the flows in control.

marijuana does not cause cancer; well no studies have linked it to it anyway...all smoke in contact with your lungs has the ability to cause cancer lol...THC can be eaten too :P, it is not habitual (well unless you overly abuse it, and that happens with anything), you cannot over dose on it, it helps blood flow and joint movements, it has actually slowed down lung cancer in mice/rats (can't remember), and the video is correct...it makes an orgasm that much better lol.

so why all the propaganda since you've been alive? it's already been stated: money. why sell a very inexpensive drug (if allowed to be legal) that can be grown anywhere by anyone (it'd prolly grow on Mt. Everest lol...exaggeration but you get the point).

over the counter drugs and prescription drugs, however, cannot be made as easily. so long as you're buying THEIR drugs...drugs are okie dokie. your doctors are always trying to force drugs down your throat, and so is the media.

if you go to a doctor and you aren't "on anything" they're shocked and surprised...and automatically try and find SOMETHING the matter with you so they can put you on it. "what? no medications? you sure you're ok? do you have trouble sleeping? are you too hot sometimes? do your nails grow slightly faster than your friends? do you get hungry sometimes?"

like Chris Rock pointed out with the media: "It's like: are you sad, are you lonely, you got athletes foot? Are you hot, are you cold, what you got? Ya want this pill huh, [bleep]? You gotta take this pill! And they don't even tell you what the pill does, you see a lady on a horse, or a man in a tub... And they just keep namin' symptoms: are you depressed, are you lonely, do your teeth hurt, what the [bleep]? I saw a commercial the other day that said, "Do you go to bed at night and wake up in the mo'nin?" Oh [bleep] they got one! I got that! I'm sick, I need that pill!"

the government doesn't care about your health...

Wow I finally agree with you on something lol

Headache tablets and anti depressants, narcotics are the absolute worst.

Someone I know is a prime example of this. They have a headache, they pop a headache tablet, soon becomes immune to it, needs to take 2, needs to take 3, the headaches get worse, they see the doctor, prescribe something stronger and more expensive, soon become immune to it, the headaches get worse and worse, the meds become stronger and more expensive and so forth.

I don't get headaches, EVER and have never had a headache tablet in my life.

Psychologically speaking if you give someone a drink of water and tell them it cures their cancer, it can reduce their symptoms and help with the healing process because the brain actually thinks its working, if they can truly believe it.

Now don't even get me [bleep]ing started on narcotics etc they are the absolute worst. Most doctors are so [bleep]ing unprofessional they sell this [cabbage] on the first visit to anyone who says "Hey sometimes I feel depressed." First and second over the counter narcotic sales should be ILLEGAL!

Without proper assessment with the use of the DSM and behavioural analysis, narcotics can actually trigger off severe hypomania, resulting in suicide, attempts and hospitalisation. If a patient is a rapid cycle, the anti depressant drug can actually severely exacerbate their condition making them psychotic.

:ohnoes: doctors are so unprofessional sometimes it's not funny.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

i believe you only disagreed with my view that the average guy can get any girl he wants :shock:

anyway, i don't think they're unprofessional..well na i suppose you could call it unprofessional because i don't think profits being worth more than well being "professional" lol. it's really the insurance companies' fault tho. they force the doctors to sell whatever they are currently selling and give the doctor a perk.

I see nothing wrong with it. The only negetive side effect is that it destroys your brain, but so do gas fumes, sharpies, and wood stain. Just as long as you dont use it abusively (at least once a day), and don't use it while in school, its fine in my opinion. But for those of you who pay attention to the poeple around you, you may notice that the people considered "stoners" walk around and seem as if they're high, even when they're sober.

although i cannot stop people and their choices. i just find it disgusing. i camp home alot because most my friends are off being drunk, now you'd think at 17 thats what we all do, well i dont. i find it stupid and pointless and dont know how having your head in a toilet the next morning is "cool"

as to smoking, Australia is now being given the law that anyone under 18 who smokes is charged much like alcohol. before it was only selling to under 18 and under 18 obtaining which i am 100% glad because im sick of going to the pubic pool and putting up with 14 year old (naughty womans word here) smoking infront of younger children and my face coping the smell. i had one walk past and tried to put his ciggarette out on my arm, a good punch later he wasnt getting up...for the next few hours <.<

as to IGoddessI, isnt narcotics a depressant? because if it is thats for sure as hell not going to fix their depression.

Popoto.~<3

although i cannot stop people and their choices. i just find it disgusing. i camp home alot because most my friends are off being drunk, now you'd think at 17 thats what we all do, well i dont. i find it stupid and pointless and dont know how having your head in a toilet the next morning is "cool"

What has that got to do with weed?

Being high is nothing like being drunk, and the after-effects (like a "hangover") are nearly non-existent.

Ugggggghh I'd rather the hazy come down from mdma than a nasty hang over any day.... :-#

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Mmmm, don't always trust those "studies" you see, like a lot of things, the media can over exaggerate a lot on the subject. As for why it's illegal, well it is bad for your health, and while alcohol are just as bad, the Government rakes in a lot of money off taxes from their sale, so they're in no rush to ban either of them.

As for my opinion, I use it, not heavily, but I like to have a smoke here and there, unless I'm around kids, or planning to drive soon.

randy_1009.png

Ugggggghh I'd rather the hazy come down from mdma than a nasty hang over any day.... :-#

Honestly? I always get pretty depressed and can't eat on a come down. Never had trouble with hangovers really.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

couldn't really bother to read the whole thread. But yes, it's not good for you, at all... Your brain actually get damaged (not much though) for every joint you smoke. And people that smoke it regulary, have been proved to have a harder time learning new things, at for example: school.

Another thing is how dangerous it is compared to other drugs, like alcohol and tobacco is another side of it.

While the negative sides of smoking a joint actually is low compared to how spirits affect you, then you shouldn't use this as an argument of why you should smoke it. Alcohol is bad for you, smoking joint/pot is as well.. The point is just that drinking alchol is in our culture from the bottom. In norway, people where drinking "mjÃÆÃâÃâød" a kind of beer (added with some poisonus mushrooms) so taking it away now, wouldn't really work.

You talk about how there is many more deaths recorded to alcohol/tobacco.. but this can't really be used as an argument, if you look closer to it. How many people drink alcohol, and how many people smoke? Of cource you will have more recorded deaths to this, as there are more people in the US that use one or more of these drugs regulary, than those that don't.

What i'm trying to say is though... That it is dangerous, and that it shouldn't be made legal even though some legal drugs, are potentially even worse.

Scherzo.png

apart from the other documentary posted...here is another more recent documentary:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

from experience, i had scoliosis as a child. i feel it still plagues me today, but not as badly as it had before. it was never severe, but i almost had to wear a back brace for 3-4 years of my life.

no ounce of medication i have ever been prescribed has ever handled the pain as well as marijuana..not one.