Tip.it Times Presents: The Avatar as Art

MPM

Yeah i agree this was certainly a good read.

Great job.

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

Guest articles are always fun! :)

P.S: my girlfriend doesn't approve of my playing either. :P

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

Wow, I loved this article! it was short, and to the point. Anyway, I loved the argument that anything we do now is pointless to infinity.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

nice read! So now I found out I AM artistic

mwhahah! Owned you Mum!

Thanks Adamfostas, I enjoyed it ::'

hahahahahahahahaha, nice one dude xD

about the article: Adam dude, you totally think what i think about playin an MMORPG being pointless.

You can say it is in some way artistic, and i get what you mean by that but...er...

well in the end of the day it's just pointless...I mean, you advanced in the game, but irl you haven't got 1 step closer to succes, love, an education, or whatever you're after. Unless ofcourse you're a goldseller <.<

Someone is trying a little to hard to find a reason why the play this game... After quiting for about a week I can comfortably say this game stinks. If adding on to a character through repetative and boring tasks is whats keeping you it might be a good idea to do something else.

Get me a whopper!

short, but interesting.

I fail to see how one's avatar can be considered "art", however

let's say that your avatar has full 3rd age melee armor. This is, as most scapers know, an extremely impressive feat. You've obviously spent great amounts of time and effort to get these, and that is much more artistic than that crack :P

currently going for 99 wcing....

not very close.

p.s. im a forum noob so i have no idea how to put a cool pic or link here =(

this tip.it times was riduclous! you are wasting your time playing runescape. does it make you money? no

does it help your social life? kinda

does it give you enjoyment? so do drugs

and then comparing freedom in runescape to WoW, in WoW you have over a million types of armor. and runescape as an art? WTF? runescape is just a game for people who have nothing better to do with their time.

this tip.it times was riduclous! you are wasting your time playing runescape. does it make you money? no

and then comparing freedom in runescape to WoW, in WoW you have over a million types of armor. and runescape as an art? WTF? runescape is just a game for people who have nothing better to do with their time.

Eek! He's from the RSOF!

:ohnoes: :ohnoes:

No witty signatures for me :(

You know, you can tell a lot about someone from their first post.

WoW... tick.

Drugs... tick.

Bad grammar... tick.

Anyway, that was an inspiring, albeit short, article. It's like, you start with a block of wood, and you start chipping away at it with a chisel. The more work you put into it, the better it becomes. Put in enough effort, and it becomes award-winning. We are a community of artists, intent of creating something unique to ourselves. Nothing needs to have a true purpose because it won't matter in the end, so have fun.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Thanks for all your encouraging comments. I'm fascinated by the application of unusual perspectives against a wide variety of fields, to bring out elements they hold in common that would otherwise be lost. I'm thinking of putting together something about the social evolution of Runescape since its inception, but I fear I need a lot more data than I have now.

I'd like to respond to some of your comments. I fully accept that the article was too short - it would have been improved by the addition of more examples of RS art, and at some point I may go back to look into this more. I'm thinking along the lines of examining the costumes and attitudes you find at the Catherby yews, which is always a great place to encounter new costumes.

To the various people who appeared to take this article as a justification for playing the game - it's important to realise that Runescape actually is a real-life activity. When I choose to play Runescape, I choose to perform a real-life action that gives me, in the real world, pleasure. All I've aimed to do with this article is provide a different perspective on that pleasure. Beyond enjoying myself, no justification is necessary. If you need one, you're doing something wrong.

To the people who wanted to see my friend's guitar:

n61209372358646965958jc9.jpg

It didn't have strings on it at this point. When I quizzed my friend about this, he replied:

I couldn't be bothered to put strings on, so I just cut a hole in the back and play it like an enormous kazoo.

@Rahila - no, it wasn't necessary, but regrettably my pomposity has limits.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

AGREEED, sometimes when im playing the game , getting a torso in 1day by spending numerous hours online i wonder to myself, why am i laboring over this, it won't get me anything in life, just something to look at threw a screen, but the fact of seeing something grow under your power is very fun, in an invironement such has runescape, great read. happy new year everyone!