Why didn't Jagex just remove skilling?

Sly_Wizard

And you are not a skiller so you don't know what you're talking about either. People woodcut to woodcut. People play Bounty Hunter to fight. There is no combat involved in woodcutting so your comparison is obsolete. Saying that you'll get attacked by other woodcutters if you get a log is just blowing everything out of proportion. It just sounds to me like someone can't find a good clan.

By the way, I'm not only defending Woodcutting just because I'm 99. I'm arguing that the removal of a skill (any skill, even herblore) is a horrible idea.

I meet the requirements for any clan in the game, but i shouldnt need a clan to be involved in pvp, its ridiculous.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sly.. -.-...

How about you stop having a whine about RuneScape and buy some of my steel nails for 28gp ea in the grand exchange, maybe some oak planks, and a hammer, build a bridge and get over it?

RuneScape is better without all those immature people in the Wild.

"Foodnoob"

"Safe noob"

"DEFENCE NOOB" < I mean, wtf?

true i go fun dual with my 90 def and i get flamed out for a defnoob

taking out combat would be better

filewf5.gif

rarely ever check forums.

• 4 months later...

Just to let people know 90% of people that PKed started out skilling/merchanting. That is how the majority of PKers make the gold they used to make a pure/pker character. Thats how I did it. I started playing runescape before the wild and members and I thought the wild was one of the best updates ever. Pkers/pure bought the majority of skillers products because of their need of them in large quantities...so taking it out not only affected the pkers. And I've read up on this bounty hunter crap and its pretty stupid. The pvp system did set runescape aprt from other mmos. Skilling in every othe rmmo is just about the same, maybe different ways tot rain the skills or slightly different names but tis the same thing. Runescape was the only game ive played so far that allowed people that liked to pk and knew how to do it to get rich doing what they like. And as for the unbalanced trade alot pf pkers/pure were started form peopleborrowing money/items from friends or their main accounts which more then likely started out making money by skilling. I for one spent 3 months fishing from lvl 50 something fishing to lvl 86 fishing. It was the most boring way to make money ever. But I did it so i could have the funds to do something I liked...pk. Alot of people feel like this.Just to let you know I could go int he wild and find more people int he wild then i ever could skilling anywhere.

I agree with you. If they'd take out skills, they're lose most of the RWT's and Auto-ers.

An even easier way to achieve this would be to:

1. Remove banks.

2. Remove every skill.

3. Remove combat.

4. Shut down the game.

Odds are they would do none of those four things, but they seemed perfectly fine with taking away the economy we'd built over a few years, our ability to give gifts to people, our market prices, and turning RS into an online Dictatorship that we actually pay to be a part of. I would not doubt them in more bad decisions.

Ok, lets do that. We'll take out food, because autoers can fish and cook it for money. We'll take out armor, as you can't make any, and good luck doing barrows without any potions, runes, weapons, or armor. Obviously we can't make potions, and we can't kill monsters for them. No weapons; no one can hunt abyssal demons because autoers can too! No arrows, because you can't make them, and no GP from high alching to buy them from the shop. No jewlrey, autoers can mine gems for cash too! So basically we're left with two foodless, armorless players punching each other until they die. Wonderful. And don't say we could kill monsters for items, autoers can do that too! Since there's no food to eat, and no armor or prayer to use, autoers can click attack as well as we can! They can change the name "runescape" to "fistfighting". Of course, its all just for fun; no one has anything to lose or gain. But at least you can train agaility so that you can run back to attack them faster!

This may be a little extreme, but you get the point. Runescape is a skills based game, with some combat built in. Of that combat, some of it is fighting other players. Of that PVP combat, a small part of it is fighting dangerously, where you lose your items if you die. They modified that part. Now, does it make more sense to kill the skills, of which combat is one, of which fighting players is one, of which fighting dangerously is one, or to change the way fighting dangerously works, to make it require more thought then just mindlessly clicking food when there's more red then green in the bar above your head? Again, I'm stretching it a bit, but you get the point. Many people like me have plenty of fun in runescape, occasionally fighting in safe PVP games, but hardly ever trying venturing into the wilderness (Or now, bounty hunter). I just went to bounty hunter yesterday, and was reminded why I don't like dangerous PVP. One itemers in dd++'s show up, and take turns specing you until you leave or die. And yes, it was just this bad or worse in the old wilderness. Yes, I'm sorry it went, as are many other people. But its gone, and it was the least destructive thing to do. Now its time we move on and adapt to the changes.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

This question is based on an incorrect fact. Jagex did NOT remove pking and staking, they just limited it in a way that stopped most RWTers. Yes, you don't make as much money now, but that wasn't the main point of pking. There is still plenty of fun to be had in both staking and pking.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

It's nowhere near what it was, that is true. Kill-and Loot PKing exists as a seperate game now. It still exists, and that is what everyone against the OP's point is saying. The OP is suggesting that removing some skills will render autoers useless more than the change to BH. In reality, they'd just move on to other forms of money making, and still be able to trade their money without hindrance.

• 4 weeks later...
:wall:

Both are activities. The difference is that there's an actual skill called whereas there is no defined skill for PK'ing and/or staking. However, that's a bit off-topic as you didn't answer my question. If the ends truly justify the means (As some people are claiming they do) then why not simply remove the skills auto'ers directly engage in instead of removing areas of the game which are indirectly related to auto'ers?

The macroes would find a way.. such as green drags in winderness.. what now, remove combat?

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

This is water under the bridge. If Jagex removed Woodcutting, that means Firemaking and Fletching as well. That's 3 skills, lets continue. If Fishing is gone, take cooking down. Then mining, take out smithing. That's 7 skills. I hated PK'ing, and I hated RWT'ers, and Bots aswell. That's why I love RS. Hardly any bots, and no new RWT'ers. Fair game :thumbsup:

GG.gif

That sentence is partially correct. Autoers did engage in certain skill because others are too labor/time intensive. But that's because there are better activities to create a profit! Once you remove those activities, necessity will drive them to use the less-efficient forms of money-making.

As for being labor/time intensive, what's all that mean to a never-resting bot?

No, you wouldn't drive them to less-efficient forms of money-making. You'd drive them to a game with more efficient means of money making. You see, fishing, mining and woodcutting (As well as flax picking, although not technically a skill) were the main choices because they required the least amount of monetary investment (All you need is a cheap bronze axe/pickaxe or a net) and the least amount effort (Click once, wait for inventory to fill up, run to bank, run back to tree and repeat) in comparison to the profit to be had making them. All other skills require some type of intermediate good, which is then processed into the final good. And, even then, the profits aren't that good unless you happen to collect every ingredient/material yourself. Of course, if you collected your own goods, you wouldn't be very time efficient. Since we know that these weren't bots but, as Jagex decided to label them, 'Chinese sweatshop workers', everything. If you were a 'sweatshop owner' why would you waste your time on a game in which the real life profits are lower than the profits to be had elsewhere? You wouldn't.

Did you happen to poll all the "sweatshop owners" and ask them what exactly they would do if those skills were removed?

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

Because those skills are the basis of this game.

Let's try starting over without those skills.

No mining=no essence, pure or otherwise. And as such, no Runecrafting. No ores, no smithing.

No woodcutting, no firemaking, no arrows. (I'm fully aware they are also produced as monster drops, however Runescape can't justify removing them from fletching.) No planks either, so no (or not much) construction.

No, fishing, good luck PKing with whatever fish it is that you PKers used to eat. Very little advancement available in the cooking skill either.

Now, taking away PKing resulted in a better game. Not only that, but it also GAVE us something: Whiny morons like you. Now get your head out of your [wagon] and THINK.

[English translation needed]

I; m sorry if this hurts your feelings but please think before you post.

The ratio of players who skill (mine, fish, woodcut) to players who PK isn't even CLOSE! :x

IF Jagex did that the players quiting Runescape would be so substantial it might of hurt the future of the game.

How would you be able to PK without food from fishers, or cooks

No arrows from woodcuters

No runes or ores for armor and weapons from miners

I think the ratio of skillers to PKers was 2000:1

This topic should be closed because of poor not thought about stupidity

THINK BEFORE YOU POST :evil:

tyluke.png

Tyluke.png

only 2 skills below level 50 :)

Although i could live without fishing, (cooking is actually... cooking again? w00t they made fishfrying into cooking again!) as someone said no skills = no RS.

Hell, people can still illegally sell gold on RS. They can just sell their account, with gold on it. It's that easy. Seriously.

Plus u would have had to remove crafting too, green dragon autoers anyone? Might have to remove prayer too... oh my...

The solution they used by removing Wildy was the easiest way they could do it. It's called triage.

newsigac5.png

This topic just got owned.

Almost all skills are linked to others, so taking out those skills would wipe out almost all.

OWNED? OWNED? THESE PEOPLE RIGHT AN ARTICLE THIS INSIGHTFUL AND ALL YOU CAN SAY IS OWNED? WHY DON'T YOU JUST TAKE ALL THE PILLS IN YOUR MEDICINE CABINET AT ONCE!

I; m sorry if this hurts your feelings but please think before you post.

The ratio of players who skill (mine, fish, woodcut) to players who PK isn't even CLOSE! :x

IF Jagex did that the players quiting Runescape would be so substantial it might of hurt the future of the game.

How would you be able to PK without food from fishers, or cooks

No arrows from woodcuters

No runes or ores for armor and weapons from miners

I think the ratio of skillers to PKers was 2000:1

This topic should be closed because of poor not thought about stupidity

THINK BEFORE YOU POST :evil:

The ratio of pkers to skillers was one to two thousand and you want him to think before he posts? This is one of the best written posts I've ever laid eyes on in my life. Please do us all a favor and crawl back into whichever dark ,sticky corner of the interenet you came from and stay there. None of us will miss you.

A REPLACEMENT?

Ok picture this, they replace your yew and magic trees with a tree that if you attempt to cut it alone your axe breaks, if you cut it with a group as soon as you get a log you get a skull on your head, all the other woodcutters attack you and you cant log out for 3 minutes.

Bounty hunter and tournaments were not a replacement, they are garbage.

A REPLACEMENT?

Ok picture this, they replace your yew and magic trees with a tree that if you attempt to cut it alone your axe breaks, if you cut it with a group as soon as you get a log you get a skull on your head, all the other woodcutters attack you and you cant log out for 3 minutes.

Thats like saying pantera should get back together with kurt cobaine on guitar..

Your not a pker, its obvious so you have no idea what you are talking about.

\' I've never seen such a beautifully written piece on these forums, on any forums in my entire life. I laughed so hard I had to wipe the tears from my eyes. Do I have your permission to put this in my sig =D>

Honestly, this thread is excellent. The point (which people seem to be missing left and right) is not to suggest that jagex actually do these things, but to get skillers to see how they'd would feel if they'd been put in the same position and to show them that just because the changes didn't affect them personally its not logical to think they couldn't have. People argue that the wild was the root of these problems but the fact that skills can so easily be botted was probably more of a cause for the problem than anything else. It would have been much better for jagex to simply remake the skill system all together, making the whole thing more dynamic and involving than clicking a few times and hoping the food doesn't burn or my pic axe doesn't hit an exploding rock and embed itself in my chest.

I hear people screaming that the skills make runescape unique, but the fact is just about every other rpg has a similar skill system, and many do it better than runescape ever has. Mabinogi anyone?

For whoever was saying maple story is all pvp and blah blah blah: Maple story has never had a pvp combat system and for that reason I refuse to play it. The point of the game is to kill monsters to gain weapons and items to kill more monsters. I see no point in grinding (something I don't enjoy) just to be able to grind even more. Which is why I disagree with "get over it, start skilling view point".

Honestly I think you guys are great, add me in game and we'll talk if I ever get on. My ign is: l u v s i c

A REPLACEMENT?

Honestly, this thread is excellent. The point (which people seem to be missing left and right) is not to suggest that jagex actually do these things, but to get skillers to see how they'd would feel if they'd been put in the same position and to show them that just because the changes didn't affect them personally its not logical to think they couldn't have.

In other words, this is a " please pity me" thread?

People argue that the wild was the root of these problems but the fact that skills can so easily be botted was probably more of a cause for the problem than anything else.

Skilling is not the problem. Gathering money was the problem. You can gather money and RWT without skilling. (Flax, green dragons, gathering ingredients.)

Honestly, this thread is excellent. The point (which people seem to be missing left and right) is not to suggest that jagex actually do these things, but to get skillers to see how they'd would feel if they'd been put in the same position and to show them that just because the changes didn't affect them personally its not logical to think they couldn't have.

In other words, this is a " please pity me" thread?

People argue that the wild was the root of these problems but the fact that skills can so easily be botted was probably more of a cause for the problem than anything else.

Skilling is not the problem. Gathering money was the problem. You can gather money and RWT without skilling. (Flax, green dragons, gathering ingredients.)

Actually the article centers on two ideas: empathy and provoking thought. Why would I want pity over an online game?

The sad thing is that for people who talk about "getting over it" and "adapting" you can't even imagine what its like to be put in the position of someone who lost most of what made this game worth while to them :|

A REPLACEMENT?

The sad thing is that for people who talk about "getting over it" and "adapting" you can't even imagine what its like to be put in the position of someone who lost most of what made this game worth while to them :|

So, a good way to get over it is to take away what made the game worth while to skillers?

Taking away mining fishing and woodcutting would also make cooking, fletching, firemaking, and smithing obsolete. Please think through your dumb ideas before submitting it to the public.

So, a good way to get over it is to take away what made the game worth while to skillers?

Taking away mining fishing and woodcutting would also make cooking, fletching, firemaking, and smithing obsolete. Please think through your dumb ideas before submitting it to the public.

I'm pretty sure the OP left months ago. There's really no point in bashing him.

Now, I was never a big pker, but I think many of you are missing the point of this thread. People seem to take all the skills in the game for granted and are needlessly malevolent towards pkers.

Common argument by some people: "I worked hard for those skills, removing them would be a slap in the face"

--->Well, people also worked to be pkers, and I doubt people could argue that pking was more feasible in the wilderness.

Common argument by some people: "Skills are at the heart of Runescape- No skills, no RS"

--->If Jagex removed SOME of the skills, that would not destroy the game. Similarly, by removing SOME aspect of runescape (pking), it did not destroy the game.

Common argument: "Wilderness is full of rude people. Good riddance!/served them right"

--->No one forces you to go to the wilderness, just as no one forces one to skill. So why are you so angry towards people that can be easily avoided. Also, as has been mentioned, fishing also has people that are rude, FOG has people that are rude, RUDE PEOPLE ARE ANYWHERE.

I think people need to be able to convey some degree of understanding as to why pkers are frustrated. Who said that certain skills are at the heart of the game? Skillers seem to take for granted the fact that since their activities in runescape were not removed, they are justified in bashing every Jagex critic.

I think at the heart of the continual conflict between ex-pkers and skillers is that skillers are not understanding towards the root of pkers' frustration. Most of the arguments used against pking can be used against skilling. Now I understand that fewer people pk than skill, so it made sense to remove pking rather than remove skilling. But that does not justify the way some skillers are completely unwilling to understand the frustration that pkers feel.

RSN: Hellomoron

Remove Skills =/= Replace Wilderness with BH

By removing skills, you are deleting all work done and all experience gained - rendering all that time skillers spent leveling completely pointless.

By replacing the wilderness, you are only forcing PKers into changing what they put their effort towards. Instead of PKing, they now have the option to use their work to play BH or any other PVP game.