Will the Release of Summoning Drop an Old p2p Skill Down?

warshadow212

With the impending release of Summoning in Jan 2008, we've heard theories and speculated too much about the possibility of f2p getting a bit of the new skill...

BUT! Have we thought about JaGEx actually dropping an old p2p skill into the f2p crowds? Hmm? Seems to me, no one recently, except for me, has discussed this notion.

Sounds exciting, yes? It should. Think about it, wouldn't a f2per love to fletch a couple arrows? or mix a couple potions? or run faster than the wind? Sure, that's what you pay for $5 a month, but still, p2p is getting summoning. Who's to say that Summoning will partly be f2p? Certainly not you little ones, you readers, certainly not you.

Theory: Just as possible it is to make summoning f2p, or make a theory of that, it's possible for the idea of JaGEx putting an old p2p skill into f2p.

Yes, equal opportunity arises in this situation. JaGEx does not think like all you people out there. They own this business of RS. They control the situation, we don't. It's not always, "Oh, let's put a bit of a new skill into f2p." No, it could be that, "Hey, let's rejuvenate the game by dropping a skill into f2p, making it worthwhile for f2pers to remain in the game!"

I've seen JaGEx do an excellent job of keeping players in the game.

One thing JaGEx uses in their attraction is the platform - Java. It is a complex language, believe me, but to make a whole game of it, extensively maintaining it, is why ppl even bother playing it. There is still a spark of awe in ppl, when they start playing this game. Repetition is simple, interactions are simple, and that's why ppl even bother to lvl to 99. Theoretically, it is supposed to be easy to lvl to 99, but rather tedious and tiresome. And, well, after 99, there's nothing to do with raising that skill (except for 200mil exp, and then you ask yourself, do you bother doing that?), and you move on.

The second, and this is where I can somewhat agree on a lot of ppl here - catering to the masses, both p2p and f2p. This is where the debate lies.

To place Summoning into p2p places an elite class of 127s+ in members, while in f2p - the max is 126. Hard to say, why wouldn't one (f2per) want to join p2p to get to 138? It's not stupid at all to keep it that way, that's a big hook into getting f2pers into p2p, and keeping p2pers in RS at all. You think that Summoning was made for f2p, forget about it! They don't just make skills for all! They update to the paying masses first, then the labor forces later.

Sure, it's possible JaGEx will put a part of the new skill into f2p. To place even a small portion of Summoning into f2p, however, relies on the basis that Summoning has to be that amazing of a skill, that worthwhile of a skill to even put a bit into f2p as a "demo". Yes, if one completes in f2p the portion of Summoning available, and wants to continue in p2p, they'll weigh the impact of the skill enough to pay for it.

Just for the record, I'm f2p atm. Been p2p, liked it, will def. consider coming back onto it.

Let me reiterate that: 99 Atk/Str/Def/Mag/Prayer/HP = 126 cmb

All these skills can be raised in f2p and p2p. Unbalanced for the most part, but achievable.

-------------------------------------------------------------

However, to the balance of slayer/farming/construction/hunter that p2p's seen since the switch from RSC to RS2, I see a couple skills that could potentially be dubbed down to f2p status (only 1 out of these might possibly be chosen to be f2p):

1) Fletching: Mages have RCing (RuneCrafting), Warriors have Smithing, Rangers need Fletching in f2p. Evens things out for everyone. Money market for beginners. Money saturates into the economy, to the point, prices will go back up again like normal.

2) Construction: could be dubbed down to the point where f2pers could build a basic house, with a limit of max 20 rooms, even lvl 99 in f2p construction. (20 max could be changed, however, to a lower number)(no portal room for f2pers ). Money drainage from an already-dumbed down f2p economy. :S We already have estate agents stationed in Fally and Varrock, it's plausible.

3) Herblore: extensive items/ingredients that will saturate the market. Herblore market is pretty stable, and will make f2pers possibly join p2p. Make atk/str/def/energy/antipoison/restore potions creatable in f2p, rest p2p. Creates high demand for new skill items & ingredients, will boost a stagnant p2p herblore market. Opens Taverly up to do Druidic Ritual to start Herblore. Demand for ingredients of the new skill will rise high, so prices will rise. Try selling a wfv for more than 110 gp, you'll see high demand for wfv's, those particular f2p herbs, and 2nd ingredients in the f2p market. I heard revs poison in f2p, so why not? Perfect intro to the safety of those who go into the wildy.

*Herbs (grimy) in f2p can be dropped by Men, Women, and other npc's on f2p that are able to drop these normally on p2p/GE.

**Mortar & pestle, vials can be bought in Taverly, assuming Herby becomes f2p, you need Taverly to do Druidic Ritual.

Atk Pot (3) - (lvl 3) - guam leaf + eye of newt (both attainable - eye of newt can be bought in Betty's Magic Shop in Port Sarim/GE)

Antipoison Pot (3) - (lvl 5) - marrentill + ground unicorn horn (both attainable if unicorns drop horns in f2p/GE, you're able to buy mortar & pestle in Taverly/GE)

Str Pot (3) - (lvl 12) - tarromin + limpwurt root (both attainable - NPC drops/GE)

Stat Restore Pot (3) - (lvl 22) - harralander + red spiders' eggs (both attainable - eggs from Varrock Sewers/GE)

Energy Pot (3) - (lvl 26) - harralander + chocolate dust (both attainable - Chocolate bars/dust on GE; Cooks' Guild)

Def Pot (3) - (lvl 30) - ranarr weed + whiteberries (both attainable as long as JaGEx puts a bush or two in f2p areas)***

*** Because def pots depend on ranarr weeds, we will def see a major rise in price for these - one for the new f2p market, two, prayer pots are uber awesum.

4) Agility: Why I believe this is the most potent skill to be dubbed down to f2p - we can already recover run energy faster, if agility lvl > 1. I have 31 agil, from my time in p2p, and I find somewhat of an advantage with it, thankfully, than with 1 Agility. Just Brimhaven and the Wildy ones can easily be opened up for the Agility Arena. (No Shilo Village/Tai Bwo Wannai for f2p though, please). Or add a new F2p agility course, made similar to Gnome Stronghold's basic one. Run energy recovery carries over from p2p to f2p. Why not make it a skill to level up, without raising combat?

Disclaimer: I put in ideas here that can cleverly merge parts of p2p skills to f2p, not put the whole skill into f2p. Not like an f2per can get to 99, going to wildy agil arena, or create rune arrows. Wow... heh that would be madness!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Skills that might not make it to the chopping block:

- Hunter/Farming/Construction/Slayer - most recent additions to p2p skills. They won't think about it. Construction I put up in the possible section, only because it's possible to put up barriers on how big a house, and how much stuff a f2per can make. Like crafting. You can't make bracelets in f2p, can you? nope. You're not gonna make a gilded altar in f2p, unless you pay for it in p2p. Hunter and Farming too extensive to put into f2p. Slayer, just not worth putting into f2p.

- Lunar Magic - too new.

- Thieving - Well, it would be cool, as a lvl 3 acc, to actually pickpocket a man and get killed by it as well. There's the possibilty that the man will do 10 damage (1 or 2 damage at a time per thieving exp) and send you back a couple blocks in Lumby. But Ardougne is p2p, and too big a town to put the mecca of thieving, as well as Burthorpe (home of the Rogue's Den). So, no I don't think so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

*Turns on the hothead* I'm pretty tired of some of you simple-minded twits playing RS. *Turns off the hothead* You should think outside of your little boxes. Think more than 1 solution to the problem. This is just one of them. I'm not saying Summoning will not be part-f2p. If it is, that's extremely cool. But if not, this is a better solution.

If any of you readers have any more suggestions and ideas as to which skill can or can't be dropped into f2p, post them, and I will give you full credit for it.

CREDITS:

Can't we all ignore the PLAUSABILITY factor, and instead focus strictly on the merits of each skill?

OT: Fletching really should be f2p because melee can smith all it's materials, mages can make their own runes, and rangers can.... buy their own arrows??? It doesn't really make much sense.

Wise words from a wise mod. Thanks, mchain.

...possibility of being F2P, with only the ability to make lower-level..., thus enticing free players to go members for the useful things...

Upgrading Current Free Skills - I believe the chance of this happening is small also, because the point of adding something to F2P is not to give the free players some new high level content or entertaining thing to do, but to entice the newer players into wanting to become members.

Ultimately the question is, what will entice them more, giving them a taste of a skill and having them think, "If I become a member, I'll be able to train this skill easier/get more rewards from it!" Or by not adding anything to F2P and hoping that they make a leap of faith for skills and content which they have never tried and know very little to nothing about.

Older players know that Fletching is profitable at higher levels because they have either become members and tried it, learning about what happens after level 70 or have spent their RS careers as non-members hearing about it. New players however don't have any time under their belt to have heard about it, so that only leaves them with the option of trying it, which as a free player isn't possible.

So what's better? Spending a while not paying because you don't know yet that is fun and profitable, or getting a taste of it right away, and becoming a member because you know that the good parts of the skill are only available there.

Jagex doesn't base their decisions on which populous deserves it more, they base it on what decision will bring in more revenue.

[i still have to go thru the thread to pick out some key pts. Thanks for your patience.]

~WSW~

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fletching would be the only skill f2p may ever get since on the highscores its mixed up with a bunch of f2p skills and on rs its pretty useless and will be 100 times more useless when ge comes out.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

I'd drop them Thieving or Fletching (up to lvl 40) because they can be done at low levels and they be done in existing f2p locations. People could pickpocket guards in f2p.

Fletching can be done anywhere.

jagex won't want to give them any location specific ones like hunter which start well into P2P territory. Herblores an option aswell.

HOwever i don't expect to see any F2p hand-me downs flying around.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Although it would not bother me at all to have a member skill drop to free to play, I just don't see jagex doing it. I didn't think they were going to do anymore f2p updates, but then again they really have been doing alot for the freebies.

felter_laur.png

Nice idea!!!

However it misses one crucial point. The time taken to level up for f2p is already very high even with only a few of the skills available. People that play RS are mainly in the 12 - 16 age group. The changes that occur to the lives of these people ie the discovery of the opposite sex, beer etc mean that the vast majority will leave the game before they can level these skills. So there is no point for Jagex.

The only way to make it attractive to f2p would be to give the same as they give to members but this also makes no sense to Jagex.

Fletching is about the only skill that is a possibility in that it is boring to train and has no direct relation to member skills

Unfortunately, all those 12-16 yr olds found this game from Miniclip. So, the ideas of beer and opposite sex to them, if they're engrossed in this game, are slim to no chance in registering those ideas to their brains.

Thx for the support, and ideas, and yes, there's a possibilty of this not even happening, but it's there - the chance is there. I made this thread as a 2nd viable idea, instead of f2p summoning.

~WSW~

The only one I can see happening is fletching, and perhaps enable making green d'hide.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Sounds exciting, yes? It should. Think about it, wouldn't a f2per love to fletch a couple arrows? or mix a couple potions? or run faster than the wind?

If they love it so much, they should buy P2P? F2P Already gets updates, eventhough they shoulnd get them. Seriously that what you just posted will never happen, and i'm glad it woulnd.

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map.

Its not gonna happen, f2p don't get huge updates. Simple as.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

f2p won't get anything and you know it. F2p is running fine as it is, so tell me why should jagex upgrade it?
because they want to piss all the p2p's ? just guessing :-w

I hope they don't put you in charge of any companies because you would piss off paying customers <.<

Babyshambles.png

[disclaimer] I am not supporting his idea, just giving suggestions on how to modify it, I know it won't happen[/disclaimer]

It will definitely not be agility, there aren;t and courses remotely near f2p areas (gnome stronghold, barbarian outpost, etc.) so that's out. Not ancient magiks, either, because f2p wouldn't be strong enough (probably, idk) and the desert would open everything else up, just too irritating if you can't do anything else. If anything, it would be herblore only, and only a few- antipoisons, for example, to combat revenants.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map.

Construction - f2ps can use normal and oak planks (since they can already chop normal and oak trees) , steel bars , soft clay ... I dont see why this one cant be f2p if we are talking about "All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map." (its too new they wont drop just saying ..)

Farming - there are alot patches in f2p land ... no problem with this one too

Fletching - you dont need a bit of p2ps map for this one

Herblore - no problem with the map too

Slayer - well some monsters are f2p i think (bears , cows , dwarves , goblins , Minotaurs , moss giants and many more) ... and there is one f2p master there ...

Thieving - you can actualy pickpocket with no problem and there are 3 f2p stoles (i meen on f2p map)

so what was the "All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map." again ?

^ Who's the f2p slayer master? Vannaka? I thought he was in the member's area of the dungeon.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Construction - f2ps can use normal and oak planks (since they can already chop normal and oak trees) , steel bars , soft clay ... I dont see why this one cant be f2p if we are talking about "All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map." (its too new they wont drop just saying ..)

Farming - there are alot patches in f2p land ... no problem with this one too

Fletching - you dont need a bit of p2ps map for this one

Herblore - no problem with the map too

Slayer - well some monsters are f2p i think (bears , cows , dwarves , goblins , Minotaurs , moss giants and many more) ... and there is one f2p master there ...

Thieving - you can actualy pickpocket with no problem and there are 3 f2p stoles (i meen on f2p map)

so what was the "All members skills are built around the entire member world, impossible to drop them down into f2p without opening up huge portions of the map." again ?

Construction - Without teak virtually all useful furniture is off limits.Same goes for without slave and useful rooms.

Farming - pretty much everything you grow is members beyond about lvl 10 other than the trees, whihc are a bonus for members as u can grow your own. Making it worthless.

Herblore - Impossible to get 99% of the seconds and very few herb dropping monsters

Slayer - no decent slayer monsters, if any, in the f2p world. Which is the whole point of levelling slayer.

Thieving - is largely useless as it is, so perhaps.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Constructing - anyways there are 2 useful things in that skill - tablets and altars ... the oak altar will be enough ...

Farming - they still can plant trees cant they ?

Herblore - lets look at the first pots (till 26)

1st one eye of newt - got it

2nd one - they already have unicorns , they just need the horn drop

3rd limps - got it

4th red spider eggs - got it ...

Slayer - IMO the whole skill is useless

Thieving - I guess your right ... I dont even see the point of that skill #-o

ha i wish they would make anchents f2p i would sit a the spot where fared is and if it wernt for graves i would make so much money off full rune

i almost died at 89 cobat with a whip and a f2p want to try w/ a rune scim i say let them try :twisted:

Y_Z.png

ha i wish they would make anchents f2p i would sit a the spot where fared is and if it wernt for graves i would make so much money off full rune

i almost died at 89 cobat with a whip and a f2p want to try w/ a rune scim i say let them try :twisted:

I say if you come close to dieing on that quest than you're an idiot.

Babyshambles.png