13 year old girl gets detention for hugging two friends

Azn_Panthera

I had posted this on another forum, but it would be interesting on what other people think of this.

I was randomly browsing through News Sites and titles when this caught my eye. This story was about a year ago. Some of you may have heard of it. In my opinion..this is just plain silly =s I think the schools are getting a little too paranoid about 'affection' between people, including friendship.

Girl, 13, gets detention for hugging two friends

Illinois middle school bans public displays of affection; parents urge change

Tim Vizer / ASSOCIATED PRESS

Eighth-grader Megan Coulter gets a family hug from her mother Melissa Coulter, left, father Dean Coulter, right, and sister Baylee, bottom, on Monday.

What keeps you up at night? Gut Check America wants you to tell us what really matters to our country. In our current report, we look at how the middle class is feeling financially squeezed and how their standards of living are being affected.

updated 9:57 p.m. ET Nov. 6, 2007

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter.

The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅI feel it is crazy,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

This is what happens when you spread joy? (My Friend on 12:01 AM January 1st 2008)

New%20Years.png

This isn't new. We've gotten stories like this many times before. I agree it's ridiculous, but there's nothing we can do about it. If the school bans it, it's banned. They probably won't change their minds.

If it happens at my school though, I'll be furious. :x

EDIT: Sorry newbie, lil' harsh post -_-".

Quick question: Why did you join a Runescape fansite forum and start off by going to the OT to post this, a year old tired story?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. But like Powman said, can't much do anything about it... :cry:

I don't run races to see who's the fastest, I run to see who has the most guts. -Pre

thewho2.jpg

Currently the best beat out there:

Minuit jacuzzi (DatA Remix) - TEPR

EDIT: Sorry newbie, lil' harsh post -_-".

Quick question: Why did you join a Runescape fansite forum and start off by going to the OT to post this, a year old tired story?

I apologize for not using an Rs-related board first? Well, I haven't started out 'fresh', I've been here before and I've posted under this username I believe, but it seems that the username wasn't in the database.

Other than that, why am I explaining this? =s It shouldn't really matter what my post count is. I joined this forum, and I found more people within this community, and I wanted to read more diverse and different comments/reaction. Well. I just started off, who it be better if I posted some RS Related topic? Well, I understand it is a bit odd to join an RS Board and post in Off-Topic forum, but its normally where I go first in any forum. In any case, forgive me? :-s

This is what happens when you spread joy? (My Friend on 12:01 AM January 1st 2008)

New%20Years.png

It's not a problem, just peculiar :-k .

Anyways, this has been posted here... way too many times. If it's a year old, and it's a story like this, odds are it's been posted before.

Ah well, have fun here and all, just don't turn into one of those guys who makes news threads every day when we all already have newspapers at home, m'kay :P ?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It's not a problem, just peculiar :-k .

Anyways, this has been posted here... way too many times. If it's a year old, and it's a story like this, odds are it's been posted before.

Ah well, have fun here and all, just don't turn into one of those guys who makes news threads every day when we all already have newspapers at home, m'kay :P ?

Rofl, no, I'm not the person who would tomorrow go "Brittney Spears shaves her.."nvmrd, well yea, you got my point =p

I picked this in particular because I'm not used to seeing such odd paranoia from 'contact' with people, thats all, wasn't aware that it was widespread as it is ;o

New%20Years.png

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.

It states: ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅDisplays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

lol, America

That's the first thing that comes to mind really :P

I went to a catholic, well, high-school equivalent I suppose you could call it, and nobody really cared at all if you hugged, or god forbid, kissed someone.

Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.

That's almost scary :|

I am so glad my school does not ban hugging, the amount of people who hug each other, especially girls, and if the head even thought about banning hugging, he could be sure of having a lot of trouble. That is the type of school I go to. When something happens that we don't like we do something about it, we do have to come here to learn. That is why we have our own school board, who we pick ourselves. I am pretty lucky though, not all schools are this good.

It's only 2 days of detention, nothing to go to the media over :roll: :roll:

It is lame though for hugging.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

They really have been too general with the whole "signs of affection" thingy...

I hug my friends all the time, inside and out of school.

And I'm in an all boy's school...lmao...

They're not hugs to prove homesexuality for sure, we've all got girlfriends; we just hug because it's fun to hug...=P

Butterflylow.jpg