"Jagex Endorses Satanism" ???

ROSSODIAVOLO

Honestly, if you get offended by a skill in a game, you should really rethink your priorities.

All in-world references to religion, magical practices etc are fictional

There are alot of real-world references in Runescape thou, they just use it as a kind of 'inside humor'. If (s)he finds Summonign offending, then what about killing 'animals' and 'humans'?

Games != Real Life.

yeah, he complains about runes/ rune essence and doens't even realise that runes were originally associated with black magic and satanism.

If we had to remove any content to do with satanism, i would argue we had to take the other extreme aswell and remove christian references; as both can be equally harmful at extremes.

Mind you, not all satanists are all that bad. Its more for show than actually doing anything harmful (other than lighting afew candles in a basement). :XD:

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Of course Jagex supports satanism. Clearly none of you have tried playing the runescape music backwards. :-w

:ohnoes: for those of you who haven't heard it; it says:

'Join Satan, Eat everyone's brains, sacrifice human hearts' etc. ::'

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Look, I just summoned a squid in a fishbowl!

LET'S GO WORSHIP THE DEVIL AND KILL INNOCENT CHILDREN MWAHAHAHA!!!

No, Jagex endorsing satanism is just stupid, and anyone who thinks they do should pull their heads out of their [wagon].

Cowmasta13.png

The woman herself is rather uneducated on the idea of satanism. Satanism is not the Worship of the Devil as is widely believed but is in essence the worship of oneself.

To be a christian you must accept the existence of God and his counterparts. Meaning you must accept the existence of Lucifer, Beezlebub, The Devil, Satan etc. This in turn is a form of worship. You cannot be a christian without at least accepting his existence. To be a true satanist you must hold yourself in the same esteem you would hold God and you must believe yourself to be on the same level of existence of him. Omnipotent, omnibenevolent and transcendant.

- From The Satanic Bible

"Most Satanist do not accept Satan as an anthropomorphic being" (Satanic Bible, pg 62). To the Satanist, Satan is nothing more that a force of nature. Satan is not usually taken as an actual deity. This force is what is considered the darker side of nature. This so-called dark side of nature is not necessarily evil, it is merely an unexplored part of nature. It is the part of nature which conventional religions do no confront, they merely label these things as evil and then leave them alone.

The question comes out when discussing Satanism as to whether the Satanist worships Satan. The first thing that must be understood is that there are three different levels. There is the worship of Satan, belief Satan exists, and the belief that there is no greater power.

The belief that there is no greater power is the same as being atheist. These are the people who don't believe in any deity. When speaking of these people as Satanist your probably speaking of some of the strictest believers in Satanism. These people believe that they have only one life to live and that that life should be lived to the best it can, for their is nothing to look forward to after death.

The belief that Satan exists is perhaps the most prevalent of beliefs. At this level the person doesn't worship Satan but still acknowledges that this deity exists. These people are the ones which make up the majority of Satanists now a days. The downfall of these people is that they are influenced easier by other religions then are the other two levels.

The final level is the more extreme of the three. This is the level of the worship of Satan. This is the group that is the most radical of Satanists. These are the people who have a tendency to get carried away and give Satanism in general a bad name. Unlike those who just acknowledge Satan, these people are not easily influenced by outside groups. They're so set in their ways that they can sometimes go to far with their beliefs.

To summarize, Satanism does not require the worship of Satan, it doesn't even require the belief of any deity. The level you are at is up to you. It is up to the individual to decide what level suits you best. The worship of Satan is a some what more extreme form of Satanism. THE WORSHIP OF SATAN IS NOT AN INTRICATE PART OF SATANISM!

To read more go to - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/2711/chap1.html

So in conclusion, the woman has confused Jagex's actions with the wrong religion.

Sig.jpg

(1) Do YOU think Jagex endorses satanism with the release of the summoning skill

Summoning isnt just practiced by satanists so therefore No, I dont believe that Jagex is endorsing satanistic practices.

(2) Do you think that any aspect of the game might sway someones personal beliefs, example - if someone worships zammy in game, may this lead to them changing their real-life beliefs and becoming a satanist ?

A persons personal beliefs are their own for reasons particular to them. If a computer game is able to sway them from their original belief system so easily, then they seriously need to be getting a life away from the internet and such "corrupting" influences. Everyone chooses to believe different things, be it in Jesus Christ, Allah, Buddah, Santa, the Easter Bunny or even, to be facetious, George W Bush, that is their personal choice, and most normal sane people wouldnt be so easily influenced by a game that is for recreational purposes.

(3) How do you think jagex (or rather that j mod) handled the very awkward statement ?

I think the J-mod did exceptionally well in handling the situation, and hats off to him/her for dealing with it in an appropriate and sensitive manner. If only the person who prompted the reply in the first place had thought out their argument and conveyed it in a more appropriate and less sensationalistic manner, instead of choosing wrongly, to assume that if you believe in familiars, that you are a satan worshipper.

Stusangel.png

Stusangel.png

Ah, here we go again. One crazy monkey, and everyone goes off the deep end.

I am referring to the illogical, idiotic and downright offensive slurs against religion posted by users of this forum. Yeah, the person who posted that on the RSOF is slightly off the deep end, but then many scientists are completely whack as well. Another point: A large percentage of murderers are atheists, does this mean that all atheists support murder? No. One example of craziness does not make the rest crazy.

I agree on on the first part of your post. People get too emotional concerning religious people and thereby exaggerate their statements. They hurt others by saying that and in the end it's completely pointless as well.

However, your statements about scientists and murderers are not credible too. Those kind of statements are meaningless without evidence to back them up.

I don't agree with you on the statements. Give examples of crazy scientists and the reasons why you think they are crazy. Also, you better provide a source for the statement that most murderers are athiests, or you most be an expert on statistical analysis of murderes and their religions.

Otherwise both those statements are nothing but thin air and only insulting to the people you refer to.

phata_elise.png

I'm sure their intention was NOT to endorse satanism... As the mod reply stated, it's just a game.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Everyone's comments are really funny that they are taking this seriously! :lol: Why the hell are we debating about this, it's a joke!

Summoning is a word of many meanings, as many words are. We are referring to summoning as 'calling a creature to aid oneself'. Not bloody Devil summoning!

Mind you, we did de-summon a demon once called Agrith-Naar...

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Lmao...

It's a bloody game!

That is the only comment i make to such posts.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

If you are so much of an idiot as to think Zamorak is a real god then.... well, you're an idiot.

If you think that just because you can summon ingame that means by the power of satan you can summon in real life, please put down the computer mouse and turn on a nice baptist church channel.

I think its fine how the mod handled the statement in a professional way. They don't endorce satan. if they did, there'd be a lot more satanic reference than a summoning skill. in fact, they were forced to REMOVE the "satanic reference" at one point. remember the demon symbols in some dungeons in runescape? AKA pentagrams? what happened to them now? they got removed because PC cultists considered it satanic.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

This is exactly why Jagex can't do the updates that they actually want to:

Eg: Different prayer books for each god (good and evil) Jagex said they can't because of people like this (mainly Americans), people don't realise this is only a game.

So thanks to people just like you we can't have many updates.

Ridiculous claim.

(1) Do YOU think Jagex endorses satanism with the release of the summoning skill

No, I think Jagex endorses capitalism with the release of summoning skill.

(2) Do you think that any aspect of the game might sway someones personal beliefs, example - if someone worships zammy in game, may this lead to them changing their real-life beliefs and becoming a satanist ?

If your beliefs are so weak that you start believing in a game's gods instead, you're not living seriously enough. Only someone crazy or psychologically unstable would start believing in RS gods instead of real religion.

(3) How do you think jagex (or rather that j mod) handled the very awkward statement ?

He posted just right, but in his mind he knew the post was a ridiculous claim.

The main thing ro eemember - playing RS is people's choice. Jagex is not preaching anything, not forcing anyone to read their stuff. If you don't like it, don't play it. There will always be someone that'll take any game to an extreme and make the claim that it's related to satanism.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

Ok on second thought, this post will just bring flaming. If you have an issue with what the Jmod posted, you are free to send Jagex a message privately. Remember, no one is forcing you to play RS. My explanation of the first post is above.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art