Book Recommendations?

Greatsilverwyrm

I've searched through the few "favorite book" threads, and similar ones, and haven't found anything that really sparks my interest, so, I thought I'd ask right out..

Can anyone recommend any good books?

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for..

I really like Ender's Game, and the parallel series with Bean, and I'd be reading the next book in that series, but I can't find it anywhere..

I liked Lord of the Rings a lot..

I've read the entire Dune Chronicles several times..

I've read things like A Clockwork Orange and Fahrenheit 411, so, "classics" along that line, too.

Preferably single books or short series for now, I only have about 3 weeks to fill before I need to start re-reading Harry Potter in preperation for the 6th book (hooray!), however if you have any suggestions of longer series that you think I'd really like, maybe I'll check them out after I'm done with that..

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Oh, and, I know that was specific, sorry if I sounded demanding or anything..

IRKAa.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read Brave New world or 1984?

I dont know if you will like this but I enjoyed it.

War of the rats.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist

A darkness in sethanon by Raymond E. Feist

Shadow of a dark queen by Raymond E. Feist

Rise of a merchant prince by Raymond E. Feist

Rage of a demon king by Raymond E. Feist

Shards of a broken crown by Raymond E. Feist

Daughter of the empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts

Servant of the empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts

and err...

Mistress of the empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts

If you enjoy LOTR-style fantasy be sure to check out the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR Martin. It's composed of three books currently, the fourth is due at the end of this year [however it will most likely be pushed back as happens with most books].

- A Game of Thrones [book one].

- A Clash of Kings [book two].

- A Storm of Swords [book three].

also

- The Hedge Knight [take place in the same world but is not connected to the other series].

It's a fantastic fantasy series and I enjoyed reading the books as much as I did the LOTR series.

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

Absurd Drama is always a good read... been reading alot of them this year... End Game, by Samuel Beckett.. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr, any of the Theater of the Absurd... but you seem to be more into story telling than anything else.... Have you read all the Narnia books? The previews for the new movie look great, if they do a good job with it it'll be LOTR #2. :)

I know you said that you wanted to read single books or short stories.. but... from what you've said... gosh... you just have to read the His Dark Materials series by Pullman :D The first one is "The Golden Compass" in the US version :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

A Prayer for Owen Meany, I really liked the book. You might too, the movie "Simmon" was based on it.

That is an awesome book. The movie was Simon Birch. The World According to Garp by the same author, John Irving, is excellent as well. John Irving is a great storyteller with a twisted sense of humor.

fantasy:

A Wrinkle in Time - L'Engle

Water Babies - Charles Kingsley

Phantastes and other books by George Macdonald

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Dealing with Dragons

A Song of Ice and Fire - Martin - I know, it's a series, but it's really good.

edit: Ah, I see that series was mentioned earlier in the thread too. You really should check that one out.

jfroggy

I just read The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Its one of the best sellers, and almost all of my friends liked it. But i thought it was just ok, maybe its just me. Its pretty short book, so even if don't end up liking it, you know u only spent like 4 hrs reading it.

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com

Silence of the lamb and Hannibal by Thomas Harris. Great movie and awesome books, if you don't mind the kinda nasty details :)

I actually read Red Dragon, none of those though. Never got around to actually reading the others since I watched the movies :P

I just read The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Its one of the best sellers, and almost all of my friends liked it. But i thought it was just ok, maybe its just me. Its pretty short book, so even if don't end up liking it, you know u only spent like 4 hrs reading it.

I saw the movie and I enjoyed it, I should pick up the book. I think a better ending would have been, the 5th person he meets is the girl he saved... and it could go from there... Great story though. One of my favorites of the year.

Read most of Redwall when I was younger..

Have also read the entire HHGTTG, Keiphus, so absurd is definitely not out of the question...

I've heard some good things about the His Dark Materials books, but, several things bother me about it/keep me from reading them..

Firstly, I'm already regarded as kind of "odd" at school, and while that isn't bad, I don't want people to think I'm some crazy cultist devil worshipper or something..

Also for a similar reason.. my mom is more or less devoutly christian, and I dunno whether she'd go for me reading them.. again, not that I care, but, I don't want to get into a huge fight over it or something..

Is a space oddyssey something I could read by itself, or is it recommended that I read the whole series?

IRKAa.jpg

If you're into fantasy and more of a mature look at things, then you should try the Terry Goodkind novels, speciffically the Sword of Truth novels. Amazing books, I once stayed up till 1:30 AM because I couldnt put the book down (school night aswell).

I also just started reading a new book called Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson which is amazing in detail and everything is very well planned.

But if you're not into fantasy, then you are S.o.l because they're the best books possible.

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist

A darkness in sethanon by Raymond E. Feist

Shadow of a dark queen by Raymond E. Feist

Rise of a merchant prince by Raymond E. Feist

Rage of a demon king by Raymond E. Feist

Shards of a broken crown by Raymond E. Feist

Daughter of the empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts

Servant of the empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts

and err...

Mistress of the empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts

QFE. Definitely recommend the last three as they belong togheter and doesn't really require you to read the others.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Keiphus mentioned them already, but if you read LOTR and Harry Potter, the Narnia series are pretty good too (and yeah, the new movie is looking good so far :) )

Anyhow, you can basically read any of the books by itself, IIRC. I started with the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but the order of writing is not even equal to the chronological order of the books, so meh. You should be able to read them in any order. See:

http://books.narnia.com/chronicles/cslewis/creation.htm

And: http://books.narnia.com/chronicles/books/index.htm

Roger Red Hat

Billy Blue Hat

Jonathan and Jennifer Yellow Hat

(The Village With Three Corners books)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

omg like the da vinci code is a great book, but if ya like the fantasy, i loved the artemis fowl books by eoin mcgregor. The Kin by Peter Dickison is good also. and a book called the boy, i cant remember who by but its like my fave book ever, also a book called outsiders by SE hinton, really good book.

111yr4.jpg