Book Recommendations?

Greatsilverwyrm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you said that you wanted to read single books or short stories.. but... from what you've said... gosh... you just have to read the His Dark Materials series by Pullman :D The first one is "The Golden Compass" in the US version :D

Hear, hear; those are very good. I suppose if you like Dune then you might like some Isaac Azimov, which is not only sci-fi but also of the same sort of style--just not "epic" in the same sense. I gather from what you said that this might be a good thing? A lot of his books are standalone novels, a number are trilogies that one doesn't need to read in order, and he has a great number of books of short stories (such as the Bicentenial Man).

I don't know how much you go in for this sort of thing, but a LOT of what he writes is very patriotically american.

To name a few of his that I would recomend:

The Gods Themselves -- which is three stories, each of which tell the same story from a totally different perspective. It's about a radioisotope that someone discovers that can produce fairly limitless energy, and how this affects various people. It's perhaps my favorite of his books.

The Bicentennial Man--which is a selection of decent short stories, including the one, the bicentennial man out of which the film was made. That's the only one of them I remember, but the other ones were good too.

Foundation--which is the first of a series of books which are arguably as epic as the Dune series. It's about the Encyclopedia Galactica--that which Douglas Adams was always making reference to in the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. At least, that's what I remember about it.

Hmmm... Well, if you like or are interested in Psychological Thrillers and/or Suspense, I'd suggest something by Dean Koontz. He's by far the best Suspense writer I've ever heard of.

Some books of his I'd suggest are...

The Taking (since you said your mom was devoutly Christian I think she'd like this one... Mention it to her sometime. :wink: )

Darkness

The Face

Midnight (pretty sci-fi, if you like that)

and

Life Expectancy

Some great authors are:

Stephen King

Tom Clancy

Michael Crichton

Kurt Vonnegut

practically anything by them is a good read

if you want a very old classic to read, the Bible is a great book, even without the religious aspect of it. Lots of stories and characters, and Revelation is pretty cool.

160vy.png

Tom Clancy pwnz, read Red Storm Rising.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Some great authors are:

Stephen King

Tom Clancy

Michael Crichton

Kurt Vonnegut

if you want a very old classic to read, the Bible is a great book, even without the religious aspect of it. Lots of stories and characters, and Revelation is pretty cool.

I've only read Cat's Cradle from him and it was worth the read.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell is worth reading.

Matthew Reilly is also good. (I like him better then Clancy and I do like Clancy)

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have small purple pet elephants named Jack. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who like to do the fandango on Wednesday afternoons

Some great authors are:

Stephen King

Tom Clancy

Michael Crichton

Kurt Vonnegut

I've only read Cat's Cradle from him and it was worth the read.

Didn't he write slaughter house something about a guy whos kidnapped by aliens and all he can think about is some photo of a lady and a pony "getting acquainted"? I think thats right.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

the pendragon series was pretty good and his dark material ends up being abit atheist and disapointing though it wasnt bad and u know everyone likes a Series of Unfortunate Events nad One for the Money is a great detective story it has 9 other books after it

In class my teacher gave us a choice of books to read and I thought the descriptions of them and what I heard about them was really good. Here's a couple of them-

The Litte Prince- It's short but nice enjoyable little novel that makes you think.

The Alchemist-my friend read it and said it was really good but other than that I don't know.

11 minutes- it's by the same author as the alchemist and its supposed to be pretty good.

The Stranger- from what I heard you either love it or hate it.

I know alot of people have already said it but 1984 is really a good book.

One good fantasy series is the Dragonlance series. I know its really long, i mean really long(it has over 50 books), but you dont have to read them in much of an order. They come usually in a bunch of trilogies, and some are old. Written by a bunch of different people since like the 70's, but all take place in the same world. All of them (at least the ones i've read) are really good, but can be a bit confusing in terms of whats a dream and wats not. I recommend Dragons of Autumn Twilight as a one to start off with, that trilogy is good.

I would suggest The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.

Those books rock..

One that I would reccomend is IT by Stephen King. It has some not-so-nice parts but it's a really good book.

thesip2.jpg

It really has

One good fantasy series is the Dragonlance series. I know its really long, i mean really long(it has over 50 books), but you dont have to read them in much of an order. They come usually in a bunch of trilogies, and some are old. Written by a bunch of different people since like the 70's, but all take place in the same world. All of them (at least the ones i've read) are really good, but can be a bit confusing in terms of whats a dream and wats not. I recommend Dragons of Autumn Twilight as a one to start off with, that trilogy is good.

I'm actually planning on starting that book after I finish Monster, by Peretti. It looks quite good.

I'd highly recommend anything by Ted Dekker. He writes fast-paced, thought provoking fiction. He does everything from psycological thrillers to romances to fantasy. I'd say either the Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, and White) or Thr3e would be a good place to start.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Guest GhostRanger

If you liked Ender's Game you'll love Pas[bleep]ch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. Also by Orson Scott Card.

WOW great i thought id never find anyone who read books publisheed by Baen!!!

if tom clance wrote sci-fi it would be like this

you really should read the John ringo books, the posleen sereis is the best thing sing the printing press. the first book in the series is called "a hymn before battle"

EVERYONE must read these books if there into military sci-fi or just a good action book

manedit.png

First and only pixel thinger I made.

• 4 months later...

Dragonlance is the shiz... I named myself after a god boo yah... Anyhoo, it is the greatest fantasy series I have ever read... Too bad I can't post links. But yeah there are 100 odd books in the whole thing. Only 12ish core books though.