The Euro 2008 tread! ~support siggys + poll! ~

fubol

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got this strange feeling of anger and respect for Guus Hiddink at the moment. I feel like praising him for the miracles he performs, yet I also wouldn't mind seeing him fail so badly right about now. [bleep]ing hell, the best team in the EC disgracefully kicked out by a country that's only half-European. Would be ironic if Turkey ends up playing the final against Russia, it would be an Asian EC final.

The Dutch were obviously very nervous the entire match. The defense was afraid and intimidated 120 minutes long and whatever they did was mostly wrong. Not only Arshavin and Pavlyuchenko but even a left winger and various other players had no trouble dribbling them all. Ooijer left a poor impression today, the Russians with their agility and skill just mocked him. Even Gio, my favourite Dutch defender, was pretty lousy today. His bad timing and positioning created a lot of opportunities for the Russians.

Their midfield was OK when attacking, although not convincing, but defensively they barely participated; the Russians were always able to set up a good attack from the midfield because they barely got disturbed.

The Dutch attackers were fine, but the decision to substitute Kuyt proved fatal: the only attacking player who was any good at defending made a good impression today, but somehow Van Basten found Affelay a better choice. I think the game might've ended a lot differently if Kuyt was still on, at least he closed up the many holes in the defensive midfield.

Oh, and the only Dutch players that were good today were, as always, van der Sar (flawless again) and van der Vaart.

All in all the Russians won the game fair and square, although I am of course very disappointed with the result. The 3rd team to play their last group phase game with their B-players that's out, makes you wonder if it isn't better to play all games with the core players instead.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

I can't believe it.. I just can't believe it.. We're out. :|

Believe me, I'm also speechless. :(

I really thought Holland would reach all the way to the finals, but unfortunately it ended sooner than expected.

sig3j.jpg

If you have a goal, go for it :D Work hard, be proud and be yourself ;)

Yep, tournament of the underdogs indeed. Funny how all the self-proclaimed experts said that this time, there won't be too many surprises, the classic countries will go on. Just look at what's left of them: Germany and either Spain or Italy.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

I am officially the kiss of death, in the beginning I tipped France & Portugal - they both go out. After that I put my support behind Holland and they go out the very next game! I'm not going to pick a team, I'll just say I'd like a team who either has never won a competition or haven't won one in a while to win.

I can't believe how many chances Russia wasted tonight, they could have, and maybe should have, scored 6 or 7 goals. Once Holland equalised I though they would punish Russia for missing their earlier chances but they blew it.

This is the 2nd time Arshavin has done me, first in the UEFA cup final and now ruining my bet. If he wasn't such a great player to watch I would really despise him lol.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I couldn't wish myself a better EC tbh, Turkey in the semi-finals and The Netherlands is out :D

Though I love the team itself, but some of my Dutch friends were being annoying and said Turkey won with luck etc.

Atleast we made the semi-finals! :D

99 Magic; achieved on 4-4-2009.

85 Slayer; achieved on 6-8-2009.

99 Defence; achieved on 14-8-2009.

99 Constitution; achieved on 12-3-2013.

99 Attack; achieved on 12-5-2013.

99 Slayer; achieved on 21-6-2013.

I came, I saw, I ran away.

osiris_1993.png

Was going for Dtuchland all the way, but during the match I felt that it would be highly undeserved that they actually would win. The goal at the end of the 90 minutes made me believe that a repeat of Turkey was in the making, but Russia wasn't thrown off by it, and just kept attacking (respect for that).

Deserved winner, however surprising.

Spain vs Italy tonight will be cool as heck, one of the most exciting games of the tournament.

The downside is that if they're TOO equal in skill, it'll probably end 0-0, extra time 0-0 and go to penalties (which is sort of boring for the viewer, 120 minutes of no goals :P ).

Hoping they finish the game within normal playing time, cheering for Italy but wont mind if Spain wins, they're a great team too.

Oh man. We really sucked yesterday. But Russia was fantastic. Nearly every pass we made was a failure. And Russia just kept attacking. There was no way to keep them off. We didn't create any chances. We were lucky that Russia are so sloppy when it comes down to finishing an attack. To be honest we did not even deserve the extra time. Cheering for Russia now.

Nigel de Jong played an excellent match for Holland.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

d'aww i can't believe we lost :cry: but i was there in basel and it was great untill the match started. :thumbsup:

must be cool :o

----

go spain!!

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

Was thinking about having a flutter on Russia aswell - could do quite well under Hiddink and had nice odds too

-.- Why didn't I. Was 25/1 pre tournament I think. :evil:

iteme3721.jpg

That match was as unexciting as I imagined. Both teams had an excellent defense but Spain seemed to have the upper hand in attack. I don't think if Italy had got through they would have won the cup anyway, their finishing was poor and they relied too much on set pieces, which was ironically their downfall. Credit to Spain for beating the best keeper in the world, although I think it will be a Russia v Germany final.

-BloodAngel

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Russia to tear Spain apart going by that.

Like how their opening match happened :lol: Italy is more of a threat than Russia will ever be

Italy-Holland: 1-4 Russia-Holland: 3-1; no more proof is needed that they're doing extremely well.

Sure, Holland had a bad day, but Russia is just awesome. It's not because a team hasn't got 15 star players that it's any less of a threat. I'm pretty confident Russia would have beaten Italy if they were to play against them in the quarters instead.

heinzny2.jpg

Spain won, I'm so glad that happened. Casilias is a great keeper, he proved that once again.

As for the title, I'm going for Russia, was supporting Dutchland (seeing as it's the closest to Belgium I got), but yeah, we all know where that ended. It's only right I support the country that kicked them out I suppose.

Spain won, I'm so glad that happened. Casilias is a great keeper, he proved that once again.

As for the title, I'm going for Russia, was supporting Dutchland (seeing as it's the closest to Belgium I got), but yeah, we all know where that ended. It's only right I support the country that kicked them out I suppose.

Dutchland? You mean Holland, or The Netherlands?

Deutschland is Germany.

DEUTSCHLAND!!!!!!

Shivan.png

It's called the "Grand Exchange," and not the "Grand Alwaysatyourservicetodoyourbidding,regardlessoftheneedsofothers," for a reason.

107,992 to 99 cooking

96,545 to 99 fletching

24,699 to 99 smithing

I would indeed be happy if someone stopped spreading cancer all over this place. Even though it tends to be funny to read, but not as much when someone who demands people to make way for him comes along and decides to call others arrogant.

Russia to tear Spain apart going by that.

Like how their opening match happened :lol: Italy is more of a threat than Russia will ever be

Heh, I forgot about that match. However my point still stands, Russia just wern't the same team without Arshavin, the bloke is a class act and going by how both teams played in the quaters, Russia could well do a job on Spain.

iteme3721.jpg