The Euro 2008 tread! ~support siggys + poll! ~

fubol

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, how Domenech lasted that long as a coach I will never understand. He's on bad terms with the star, Thierry Henry, he doesn't let other good players play (Trezeguet, who played a great season at Juve, Mexès, as mentionned, Flamini...) and he just makes the wrong decisions so often. I'm pretty confident France would have had a much better run with a coach like Wenger, but yeah, that won't happen too soon, seeing how great he's doing at Arsenal. Unless he combines both tasks, which is unlikely.

Ah, and I hope all the critics that said Holland would not play half as good as against Italy and France are silenced now. Holland is in superb form, even the B-team is better than most other teams still in the tournament. If the confidence and good spirit stays in the team, I don't see them losing any time soon. Go Holland! ::' :thumbup:

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Domenech bases his team on astrology, right?

Holland did alright yesterday. Should've scored at least two goals more, but ah well. Hope they save something for the quarters. I was really dissapointed with Romania. I mean: they had to win. I didn't see much of that.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

That's also due to the decent defence our guys put up last night.

I'm very happy with the results. 3 matches, 9 points, 9 goals scored :) Looks very promising for the quarter finals.

Had to research into that claim.. And yep, it's true.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 00471.html

I can't believe this guy got picked as the coach of a such powerful team as FRANCE. Just goes to show what you get for not being realistic and relying on some 'outside force' to help you win, instead of hard work, proper strategy and skill.

He also forced Makelele to play in Euro 2008 even though Makelele just said in 2006 it'd be his final Euro tournament. Sadly due to FIFA rules the coach has the power to draft him into the national team, or Makelele would be banned from playing professional soccer in his own club.

Had to research into that claim.. And yep, it's true.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 00471.html

I can't believe this guy got picked as the coach of a such powerful team as FRANCE. Just goes to show what you get for not being realistic and relying on some 'outside force' to help you win, instead of hard work, proper strategy and skill.

He also forced Makelele to play in Euro 2008 even though Makelele just said in 2006 it'd be his final Euro tournament. Sadly due to FIFA rules the coach has the power to draft him into the national team, or Makelele would be banned from playing professional soccer in his own club.

how unfair

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

Are you sure about that? I know you can retire from International footballl and still play at club level (like Jamie Carragher) and the coach can ask you to reconsider, but I don't think they can force you. I know FIFA has the 21 day ruling to stop clubs pulling their players out of Internationals but I've never heard of this other rule.

That being said, Domenech is a mug. Being put out of Euro 2008 is a blessing in disguise for France as they now have an excuse to get rid of him. To pick a team based on their star signs is laughable and it's gotten funny results. Domenech is always quick to blame others, after Scotland beat them at Hampden he blamed the "boy balls" (he meant Ball Boys) for not putting the ball in quickly enough, and just today he tried to blame his experienced players by saying that he should have went with the younger guys.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I felt sorry for France. The players' faces by the second half just reeked giving up.

It pretty much ended after France tipped in the ball. Oh well.

Can't wait for Sunday. Italy vs. Spain will be an amazing match. Will it be similar to the Dutch vs. Italy, I hope so, but Italy seems to be playing much better now.

onceiroseik5.png

I felt sorry for France. The players' faces by the second half just reeked giving up.

It pretty much ended after France tipped in the ball. Oh well.

Can't wait for Sunday. Italy vs. Spain will be an amazing match. Will it be similar to the Dutch vs. Italy, I hope so, but Italy seems to be playing much better now.

I'm not so sure about that. They were pretty bad against Romania, and they got a penalty, along with a red card for France in their last match. The second goal also had a major factor of luck in it.

But Italy is still Italy. Can't predict what's going to happen against Spain.

Are you sure about that? I know you can retire from International footballl and still play at club level (like Jamie Carragher) and the coach can ask you to reconsider, but I don't think they can force you. I know FIFA has the 21 day ruling to stop clubs pulling their players out of Internationals but I've never heard of this other rule.

Nope, sadly the coach has ultimate power and FIFA rules support national teams over professional clubs: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 291486.stm

Pretty sick considering the guy already said he doesn't WANT to play in Euro tournaments anymore, he was forced into Euro2008 by Domenech.

The 33-year-old came out of international retirement to help France qualify for the 2006 World Cup finals and now faces a domestic ban if he fails to report.

I'm not so sure about that. They were pretty bad against Romania, and they got a penalty, along with a red card for France in their last match. The second goal also had a major factor of luck in it.

But Italy is still Italy. Can't predict what's going to happen against Spain.

It's gonna be a classic offense vs. defense match. I wonder if the Villa/Torres team can break through the Italian defense.

Only thing I hate about watching Italy games is how easy it is for them to drop. They're like earthquake-shaken Chinese buildings at the slightest touch.

Major ouch for Sweden right about now...grrr

I suppose my prediction of Russia shaping up was right. I think if they get their defense fixed up (ignore the Spain match, for example), they will be one of the top nations in the world in a few years, they play a great offensive football.

korla3eaqd3.jpg

The scoreline should've been so much different than 2-0. Russia had Chance after chance. Zhirkov, Arshavin looked pretty good.

On the other hand, Sweden were disappointing. They didn't even have a proper go & just couldn't break the defence.

Guus Hiddink does it again; but with Russia!

scarsrl0.jpg

Thanks to WithTheQuickness for the sig!

Wow that was disappointing for Sweden. I think a Sweden vs Holland quarter final would have been a close game but since Russia made it through, after seeing their performance against Spain I think they are pretty doomed. Like the above poster said though, if they get their defense sorted they will be one of the top teams, the only reason Sweden struggled to score was because Russia had around 6 players in the box on every Swedish attack which is good if you're maintaining a lead but not so good if you're losing.

Predictions for quarter final results:

Portugal vs Germany = Portugal win

Turkey vs Croatia = Croatia win

Netherlands vs Russia = Netherlands win

Italy vs Spain = Anyone's guess but I'm going to say Italy purely because they have a better defense and seem to get the ball in the opponents box with ease.

-BloodAngel

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Pretty chuffed with tonights result; I had bet my friend a pint that Russia would win. :D

No, they can definately force them to play, it's just that most coaches are sensible enough to respect the players descision. I remember a Mourinho quote from then along the lines of;

"Makalele is not a football player, he is a slave" etc :mrgreen:

iteme3721.jpg

Major ouch for Sweden right about now...grrr

I suppose my prediction of Russia shaping up was right. I think if they get their defense fixed up (ignore the Spain match, for example), they will be one of the top nations in the world in a few years, they play a great offensive football.

Indeed "grrr"... Well I hope they learn something from it (sweden that is) but I just don't understand why they played so badly today.

Well, life's unfair but the best team won and now the quarters can finally start! I'm holding Holland as my favorite team and I hope they go far =D>

sig3j.jpg

If you have a goal, go for it :D Work hard, be proud and be yourself ;)

After today's matches I don't expect Holland to beat Russia with ease. They are really fast in like everything.. :shock:

Animum debes mutare, non caelum.

wallpaperageofwonderssh.jpg

Only thing I hate about watching Italy games is how easy it is for them to drop. They're like earthquake-shaken Chinese buildings at the slightest touch.

Are you thinking of the same Italy as I do? If there are two things Italy is known for then it's good defense and sturdy and pretty constant play. They sure aren't as volatile as you make them seem.

I also feel a little sorry for Sweden, although they looked very poor today, I really wished they could face Holland in the quarter finals.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

I was cheering for Russia. Most of the game they were just brilliant. Too bad they are so sloppy in finishing their chances. Should at least be 5-0. It's going to be hard for Holland, but I think we've got a chance. Sweden is really poor. Elmander. Huu.

Portugal vs Germany

Turkey vs Croatia

Netherlands vs Russia

Italy vs Spain Although I hope Spain will win this match. But I don't think they will be able to win against a team like Italy. I don't think Holland can win again from Italy.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Looks like we might be missing Boulahrouz for the rest of the tournament... his daughter was born prematurely yesterday, and died in the hospital today. He said he wanted to play against Russia, but I can't see him being in much shape after that :(

Looks like we might be missing Boulahrouz for the rest of the tournament... his daughter was born prematurely yesterday, and died in the hospital today. He said he wanted to play against Russia, but I can't see him being in much shape after that :(

Maybe he'll play for his daughter, but not likely...

YAS!! Had £2 on Schweinsteiger as first scorer at 20/1. Won £40. :D

Great bet. :thumbup:

I took bit of a gamble with a live bet, but won pretty easy money considering the risk.. Bet EUR200 on "no red card" at 75 minutes played... Surprisingly, Unibet still gave it 1.35 odds with only 15 minutes left to go, had to take the bait.

Tomorrow is Croatia vs Turkey. Can Turkey win even with 2 of their players banned from the next game (too many yellow cards)? I don't think so personally. It'll be draw or Croatia wins.

YAS!! Had £2 on Schweinsteiger as first scorer at 20/1. Won £40. :D

Great bet. :thumbup:

I took bit of a gamble with a live bet, but won pretty easy money considering the risk.. Bet EUR200 on "no red card" at 75 minutes played... Surprisingly, Unibet still gave it 1.35 odds with only 15 minutes left to go, had to take the bait.

Tomorrow is Croatia vs Turkey. Can Turkey win even with 2 of their players banned from the next game (too many yellow cards)? I don't think so personally. It'll be draw or Croatia wins.

Then you lost all that money on that bet of yours.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.