Slayer points and Tips

chenw

The aim of this article is to show you my estimates that doing Duradel tasks exclusively is not the fastest way to obtain slayer points (for those who wants to ban tasks or obtain the Slayer Helmet the fastest).

I will compare 2 methods, player A will be doing Mazchna tasks except for the bonus ones (every 10th), which he will do Duradel task. Player B will be doing Duradel tasks exclusively.

Suppose that 3 Mazchna tasks take as long as 1 Duradel task (on average, my estimates show however, that it would be closer to approximately 4 Mazchna tasks to 1 Duradel task) in terms of time taken. My short hand for Mazchna tasks will be M and D for Duradel version.

Player A does 50 tasks, 45 M and 5 D. This equals 20D ([45/3]+5). However, 20 is not a multiple of 50 (that is, there are different sets of 20 consecutive tasks we can take, depending on whether it contains the 50th task bonus or not), so we multiply the number of tasks A does by 5, so we can obtain a multiple of 50 for both players.

Hence Player A does 250 tasks, 225 M and 25 D. Player B does 100 D tasks in the same amount of time.

Lets see how many points A gets:

225*1+20*75+5*225 = 2850 (out of the 25 D tasks, 20 of them are 10th task bonuses, 5 of them are 50th task bonuses).

B gets

15*90+8*75+2*225 = 2400

One can conclude that in the time that B gets 15 points per task, A on average gets 17.8 points, nearly 20% more than B. Thus it is significantly faster to obtain points by As method than by B.

Note however that in this estimate I did not take into account of the drops either player gets and the respective experience gained.

10k Slayer Experience or runes?

Ever since I saw the rewards, I have been wondering if the 10k Slayer experience is worth the points, or should I go for other rewards? I present you my estimates on the differences between 10k Slayer experience points or runes reward.

We take from above, 100 consecutive tasks is worth 2400 points.

2400 points translates to 60k experience points, approximately 3 slayer assignment worth of experience (That is, every 100 consecutive you do, you save 3)

Now, 2400 is a little more than 68 lots worth of Slayer Dart runes, so we take 68 lots. Each lot contains 1000 Mind runes and 250 death runes. 68 lots would yield 68k mind runes and 17,000 death runes. If one estimates minds to be 10gp each and death runes to be 300 each, 2400 slayer points translates to 5.78m in cash.

So, it means that if you can reliably earn approximately 6m in the time that you can do 3 Duradel tasks, the Experience reward is better. Otherwise, Slayer dart runes is better for money.

Also lastly, here comes my own slayer tips for those who are slaying for points:

1. Avoid burthorping. If you have a slayer task you don't like, just do it unless it is absolutely unbearable for you to do (like Kalphites for me). Usually Burthorping a task you do not like is not worth the extra time you have to spend to get the streak again. Doing a few tasks you don't like also might change your mind about the task (such as Warped Terrorbirds and Black demons for me). Whatever you do, do NOT burthorpe a bonus task, no matter how bad it can be.

2. If you DO burthorpe, unless you are also in need for experience points, don't go back to your slayer master immediately, do 4 Mazchna tasks first before going back to your slayer master. That way you can regain the streak faster and save you time overall.

3. Always have 100 points free before you buy any abilities to make items, just in case you get a bad task immediately after the purchase (I have had the honor of being assigned Kalphites in the task right AFTER I bought the helmet...). If you still want the ability ASAP, get your next task first BEFORE you buy the ability, so at least you can be sure your next task is.

Happy Slayerising

~chenw

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Great tip, thank you. Do you know how much the 10-task and 50-task bonuses are for lesser masters, such as Sumona or Chaeldar?

But still, I probably won't use this. I train slayer for experience, drops, AND points, so I would be sacrificing the former two significantly for the sake of the latter. Also, taking a look at Mazchna's tasks.... ew, Dogs, Wall beasts, Ghouls, and more. Still awesome analysis, but I don't think I'll use it.

Proud member of the Tal Shiar Alliance

Flobberdude.png

Goals: Quest cape, skill range 10 or less, all stats above 60. (Although yes, I am aware that in order to do the first two, I have to do the third.)

----

I am sick and tired of people asking me to put stuff in my signature. If you agree with me, do NOT put this in your signature.

the 10th task bonus is 5x the normal amount of points you'd get, 50th is 15x

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Yes I had already earlier heard that you get a lots of money with those 400 points that you would use on Slayer xp, it's good to know just how much :)

I thank and bow to you =D>

Tekirosig2fad.png

proudtobefinnishrh2.png

Retired

Good tips, I already the slayer helm + rings + 500 points extra for blacklisting but I was kind of wondering about the runes vs exp. 400 points for 10k exp is pretty much just like wasting 960k (if you buy slayer dart runes) instead of just killing 84 Bloodvelds (just picked a random common task). I will definitly just be buying slayer dart runes.

This is a really good tip :)

Thank you. I will use this to get my slayer helmet now.

Never actually thought about it like that. But it makes sence. Good job for sharing it with the rest of us :)

©Tom®

Tomarothar.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~Goals keep you going~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current goal : All skills 80+. Skills left: 69/80 Summoning.

Next goal : 99 Magic. Skills left: 96/99 Magic.

Excellent guide, I will be using this to help me when I start Slaying again. What order would you suggest getting things in? If the points are quick using Mazchna and Duradel method, I was thinking about going for the mask first, then four blacklists and then doing rings via all Duradel. Is that a good plan or should you use Mazchna all the way until you have everything? Just one more thing, on average how many points per hour do you get using Mazchna?

Thanks, and once again excellent tips.

Well, It also depends on combat level.

I do duradel bcause the monster assigned will gives better base EXP, and drops.

One thing.

So, it means that if you can reliably earn approximately 6m in the time that you can do 3 Duradel tasks, the Experience reward is better. Otherwise, Slayer dart runes is better for money.

I don't think you will get 6m worth of runes in 3 tasks...

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Great tips!

If I've already done 2 tasks with Duradel, would it make a difference if I switched over to Mazchna?

And you get the same amount of points for a streak for doing 9 mazchna tasks and 1 Duradel task (if its the 10th one)?

The point is that the speed of getting to the bonus tasks (by using Mazchna) results in faster points than using Duradel, Duradel, and more Duradel. You will have less points in 10 tasks (9 mazchna and 1 Duradel), but you will have accomplished it much much faster.

Mazchna/Duradel = more points per minute of Runescape than Duradel/Duradel.

And you can switch at any time as long as you make sure to use Duradel for your bonus.

Great tip, thank you. Do you know how much the 10-task and 50-task bonuses are for lesser masters, such as Sumona or Chaeldar?

But still, I probably won't use this. I train slayer for experience, drops, AND points, so I would be sacrificing the former two significantly for the sake of the latter. Also, taking a look at Mazchna's tasks.... ew, Dogs, Wall beasts, Ghouls, and more. Still awesome analysis, but I don't think I'll use it.

Exactly what I was thinking

Exactly what I was thinking

For some, the helmet may be worth blitzing through mazchna to get early on. And your experience will not differ too much from if you were only using Duradel, since you'll be fighting monsters with mazchna anyways, the only difference being that you'll spend a bit more time with getting new tasks. The only real difference is of course with drops. The helmet does give you a chance to kill dust devils with the black mask, the chance to cannon abberants, and i believe the chance to cannon cave crawlers and basilisks too. Whether that's worth the point rush is really a matter of preference.

And the 10 task bonus is 5x points, while the 50 task bonus is 10x points.

Duradel= base 15

Sumona = base 12

Mazchna = base 1

Vannaka = base 4

Chaeldar = base 10

(you can calculate from there)

And to answer an earlier question, Chen skips kalphites because he doesn't cannon and hates them in general (kalphites not cannons).

Nice guide. I'll take a peek at Mazchna's tasks and see if I like them.

EDIT: What of Sumona? Aren't those tasks considerably easier than Duradel's?

with this trick, your only doing one duradel task every 10 tasks. Might as well get the full points out of it then (75 compared to 60)

with this trick, your only doing one duradel task every 10 tasks. Might as well get the full points out of it then (75 compared to 60)

Mm, I see what you're saying. But I would still rather take up a Sumona task then instead just in case I get 199 Warped Terrorbirds or something.

Mm, I see what you're saying. But I would still rather take up a Sumona task then instead just in case I get 199 Warped Terrorbirds or something.

Ive had a 199 task :D. Was actually pretty fine, if you know where to fight them and how. Very Decent loot, very decent xp. Too bad theres no charms.

What about Vannaka? His tasks shouldn't be too much harder than Mazchna's. They're designed for level 40 combat players. The number isn't too much higher either, yet you get 4 points instead of 1.

How fast would you have to complete Vannaka's tasks to make it better than Mazchna's?

reads like math homework. but i'm sure the ideas are there. may want to clean it up a little or organise it better.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

• 1 month later...

Awesome guide!

One note though.

As someone said before.. Dura gives better exp and better loot which would mean in the long run he is better unless you're trying to get the slayer helmet, banning tasks, and other things asap. Correct?

Cause yeah, you can get 6m in 250 tasks or you can make money doing dura+ the slayer point money [if you're smart and buy runes]

Just a thought.

Happy slaying indeed!

imyst.png