Why is SSB so great?

Harakiri

Super Smash bros. is essentially the Celebrity Fit Club of video games: a bunch of flabby has-beens assembled together to engage in meaningless jumping around for hours on end. Except, instead of seeing Screech from Saved by the bell act like a jerk to Joanie from Happy days-which at least provides some entertainment value-all SSB gives us is a seemingly endless series of poorly designed beat em' up contests starring a veritable Who's-Not-Who of video games.

Okay fine, there are a few characters (I.E Link, Samus and Mario, the only three nintendo characters who have sold a game in the last 20 years) that have some cachet. But even Miyamoto would have to admit that these days, Mario's about as choosy when it comes to guest appearances as Snoop Dogg and T-Pain. The rest are-let's be honest- just dreadful. Pit? Diddy Kong? The ice climbers? Seriously, these guys couldn't get past the door guy at a decent video game nightclub, and they look like Solid Snake compared to losers like Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. The gameplay itself is designed to be "fun for all ages", which basically means that skill has nothing to do with winning or losing, as even the most hardcore gamer can get owned by a six-year-old because he or she got a lucky power-up at the right time. Really, its more like unsupervised recess at an elementary school than an actual game, but as lonf as suckers keep buying this tripe Nintendo will be more than happy to cash the checks.

-Game Informer 183 July 2008

Really! Its true, and thats why I don't like SSB and ended up selling my copy of Brawl. All it is is luck, continually fighting for no reason, and just bad gameplay. So why is it great?

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why people turn off items and smash balls. If the guy actually knew that when writing that article, he may have learned that it's the best game on Wii.

It's such a hit because of it's combat system, and how simplistic it is. Simple original things usually end up being the largest of all star games.

Anyone can pick it up and play, you don't need skill to have fun, and you don't need to have fun to be skillful in it.

As well the character selection just adds to the variety of players there are. The slow killers that require more strategy but are extremely deadly when used properly like Kirby, or Bowser, or the ones that just go out there and kill in a couple of hits like Marth or Ike when also used properly, these types of things appeal to the variety of types of players.

Put this all together and you have the #1 game. ::'

All it is is luck, continually fighting for no reason

It's not luck, it's skill, reading your opponent and predicting their moves then acting upon it, you fight to win, and you fight because you enjoy the fighting, and it's addictive.

Just because half of the characters are unheard of means nothing, who cares if they don't even have their own game? Or it's not a #1 best seller? In my opinion gamers who like games because they reach the top of the charts only, and not because of the content within the game need to stop playing games. >.>

I would love to go into how stupid and incorrect this article is but I don't have the time, so I will just do this: :roll:

well its obviously not THAT bad...

They arn't necesserily serious about that article. They started doing it just recently in Game Informer. Basically they pick the greatest games and bash them from their pedastles, just to see peoples reactions.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Well, I just see that one as true...though they're goldeneye 007 and half life articles were completely wrong. I like half life more than Halo... WHY ISN'T HALO ON THE LIST? :lol: :shame:

Super Smash bros. is essentially the Celebrity Fit Club of video games: a bunch of flabby has-beens assembled together to engage in meaningless jumping around for hours on end. Except, instead of seeing Screech from Saved by the bell act like a jerk to Joanie from Happy days-which at least provides some entertainment value-all SSB gives us is a seemingly endless series of poorly designed beat em' up contests starring a veritable Who's-Not-Who of video games.

Okay fine, there are a few characters (I.E Link, Samus and Mario, the only three nintendo characters who have sold a game in the last 20 years) that have some cachet. But even Miyamoto would have to admit that these days, Mario's about as choosy when it comes to guest appearances as Snoop Dogg and T-Pain. The rest are-let's be honest- just dreadful. Pit? Diddy Kong? The ice climbers? Seriously, these guys couldn't get past the door guy at a decent video game nightclub, and they look like Solid Snake compared to losers like Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. The gameplay itself is designed to be "fun for all ages", which basically means that skill has nothing to do with winning or losing, as even the most hardcore gamer can get owned by a six-year-old because he or she got a lucky power-up at the right time. Really, its more like unsupervised recess at an elementary school than an actual game, but as lonf as suckers keep buying this tripe Nintendo will be more than happy to cash the checks.

Ok, first of all, ... I don't know where to start off explaining to this biased idiot on how wrong he is.

SSB series are probably the most infinitely in-depth game in the wh ole fighting game genre. So much options, so much choices, so much characters, makes the variety huge.

Who cares about which characters they use? I mean really, the fact that they brought Olimar is basically proof they don't really care about the quality of the games they're from. Just their fighting capabilities.

Fun for all ages. Hmm.... where have I heard that before? Ah... yes. EVERY single game there is. Really. I thought the author would have enough common sence to understand that. Also, 6 year olds beating people? Sure, if that 6 year old is really good. SSBB may not require as much skill as SSBM, but hey... I'm really good at SSBB, practically the best here. If it didn't, I should lose half the time, right?

Also, why are you hating on this game... Go get a life and do something productive with your life. (To the author.)

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

SSBM took huge amounts of skill at high levels due to things such as techs and combos. Everything along those lines has been nerfed skill-wise. I could go into everything that SSBB dumbed down compared to Melee, but I don't feel like listing them all, so I'll sum it up with this: :roll:

jjroxlu7.jpg

SSBM took huge amounts of skill at high levels due to things such as techs and combos. Everything along those lines has been nerfed skill-wise. I could go into everything that SSBB dumbed down compared to Melee, but I don't feel like listing them all, so I'll sum it up with this: :roll:

Yes, I was pro-class in melee. But. There are many AT's being discovered daily, improving the metagame and making it harder to beat better people.

inuyashakent-2.png

SSB series are probably the most infinitely in-depth game in the wh ole fighting game genre. So much options, so much choices, so much characters, makes the variety huge.

Good game series or not it's definitely not the most in-depth fighting game. The biggest thing to remember that options != depth.

That being said it's already been confirmed that its not even a real review, just Game Informer inciting the fanboys (which seems to have worked).

Okay, I'm falling for it...To be honest though, if you actually believed this article, you fail.

Super Smash bros. is essentially the Celebrity Fit Club of video games: a bunch of flabby has-beens assembled together to engage in meaningless jumping around for hours on end.

...And shooting games are just random people running around firing guns at each other.

Except, instead of seeing Screech from Saved by the bell act like a jerk to Joanie from Happy days-which at least provides some entertainment value-all SSB gives us is a seemingly endless series of poorly designed beat em' up contests starring a veritable Who's-Not-Who of video games.

You know, the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee led to Fire Emblem being published in North America/Europe. And the inclusion of Pit in Brawl is probably leading to a new Kid Icarus. So sure, the characters might not be well-known at the time of the game's release, but they will be eventually.

Okay fine, there are a few characters (I.E Link, Samus and Mario, the only three nintendo characters who have sold a game in the last 20 years) that have some cachet.

I have to laugh at this. Mario has sold games, but Luigi hasn't. Link has, but Toon Link hasn't. Nor Zelda. Nor Ganondorf, at that.

But even Miyamoto would have to admit that these days, Mario's about as choosy when it comes to guest appearances as Snoop Dogg and T-Pain. The rest are-let's be honest- just dreadful. Pit? Diddy Kong? The ice climbers? Seriously, these guys couldn't get past the door guy at a decent video game nightclub, and they look like Solid Snake compared to losers like Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B.

I mentioned this above...And who cares if the characters haven't sold good games, that's not the point.

The gameplay itself is designed to be "fun for all ages", which basically means that skill has nothing to do with winning or losing, as even the most hardcore gamer can get owned by a six-year-old because he or she got a lucky power-up at the right time.

*Coughitemswitchcough*

If skill has nothing to do with it, I would beat Kent a lot.

Anyway, the SSB series is good because it's unique. It's unlike any other popular fighting game. It relies on building up a percentage, and then sending someone flying. Rather than bashing someone to reduce their health bar to nothing. And of course, there's the fun with items. It also brings great characters together...Mario using his cape to slap Pikachu?

I have to agree with Melee being better in terms of gameplay, but Brawl is better in terms of content. The content of Brawl + gameplay of Melee = Pure awesomeness.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Okay, I'm falling for it...To be honest though, if you actually believed this article, you fail.

Super Smash bros. is essentially the Celebrity Fit Club of video games: a bunch of flabby has-beens assembled together to engage in meaningless jumping around for hours on end.

...And shooting games are just random people running around firing guns at each other.

ROFL.

inuyashakent-2.png

Wow look at all the biased people calling the article biased ...

That's because we play the game and we know alot about it. Even if we are biased, we have facts to back us up... unlike the creator of this article.

But yet to provide ANY.

Wow look at all the biased people calling the article biased ...

That's because we play the game and we know alot about it. Even if we are biased, we have facts to back us up... unlike the creator of this article.

But yet to provide ANY.

Read th e last 10 posts. =D>

inuyashakent-2.png

How can you not like SSB? :o

I have SSB on N64 and it is one of the best games on it.

And I am going to SSBB when it comes out in Europe.

because the wii is one big gimmick yes and so is the ds and yes I own one but its for car journeys/actually has descent games.

But point is SSB has gone down hill since the first.

How can you not like SSB? :o

I have SSB on N64 and it is one of the best games on it.

And I am going to SSBB when it comes out in Europe.

because the wii is one big gimmick yes and so is the ds and yes I own one but its for car journeys/actually has descent games.

But point is SSB has gone down hill since the first.

Then why is it the fastest selling Nintendo game ever...

Except, instead of seeing Screech from Saved by the bell act like a jerk to Joanie from Happy days-which at least provides some entertainment value-all SSB gives us is a seemingly endless series of poorly designed beat em' up contests starring a veritable Who's-Not-Who of video games.

You know, the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee led to Fire Emblem being published in North America/Europe. And the inclusion of Pit in Brawl is probably leading to a new Kid Icarus. So sure, the characters might not be well-known at the time of the game's release, but they will be eventually.

Okay fine, there are a few characters (I.E Link, Samus and Mario, the only three nintendo characters who have sold a game in the last 20 years) that have some cachet.

I have to laugh at this. Mario has sold games, but Luigi hasn't. Link has, but Toon Link hasn't. Nor Zelda. Nor Ganondorf, at that.

But even Miyamoto would have to admit that these days, Mario's about as choosy when it comes to guest appearances as Snoop Dogg and T-Pain. The rest are-let's be honest- just dreadful. Pit? Diddy Kong? The ice climbers? Seriously, these guys couldn't get past the door guy at a decent video game nightclub, and they look like Solid Snake compared to losers like Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B.

I mentioned this above...And who cares if the characters haven't sold good games, that's not the point.

The gameplay itself is designed to be "fun for all ages", which basically means that skill has nothing to do with winning or losing, as even the most hardcore gamer can get owned by a six-year-old because he or she got a lucky power-up at the right time.

*Coughitemswitchcough*

If skill has nothing to do with it, I would beat Kent a lot.

Anyway, the SSB series is good because it's unique. It's unlike any other popular fighting game. It relies on building up a percentage, and then sending someone flying. Rather than bashing someone to reduce their health bar to nothing. And of course, there's the fun with items. It also brings great characters together...Mario using his cape to slap Pikachu?

I have to agree with Melee being better in terms of gameplay, but Brawl is better in terms of content. The content of Brawl + gameplay of Melee = Pure awesomeness.

a ha ha ha! :thumbsup:

truth to that...and to the author of the article. Kirby has sold games. Game and watch had a GBA game. Snake wasn't even mentioned. Pokemon have sold more than their share of games.

Though I think that SSBB is kinda boring after a long time, I have to agree that the article might need to be worked on...