Why is SSB so great?

Harakiri

How can you not like SSB? :o

I have SSB on N64 and it is one of the best games on it.

And I am going to SSBB when it comes out in Europe.

because the wii is one big gimmick yes and so is the ds and yes I own one but its for car journeys/actually has descent games.

But point is SSB has gone down hill since the first.

Then why is it the fastest selling Nintendo game ever...

The same reasons WoW is the #1 selling MMO.

Seriously though SSB is a fine game (well, I haven't played brawl.. I've played melee) but the series certainly is not the best game series of all times nor the best fighting series of all time. It's a fun fighting game to play with friends but I'd never play it competitively.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Successful troll is successful :lol:

I can't believe people took GI's review for real.. They're trying to troll all the games that got high reviews. For all you know they'll do it to GTA4 next.

I've played SSB in the past, and I own SSBM and SSBB. I can honestly say those games are probably the best games I've ever played. The people who seem to dislike it are the ones who aren't used to the mayhem involved. Flying projectiles, 4 character fighting, a large arsenal of attacks, and obstacles in the stages, it can be a lot for a newbie. But for die-hard fans of the franchise, they are just added fun. Brawl is incredibly chaotic with friends which makes it hours of laughs.

and whats with all the dishing on R.O.B? he's my best character by far. I rip appart cheapo's like metaknight. R.O.B is pwn for midair attacks in short range. and I hate how the guy who reviewed the game is comparing it to combining tv show stars and rappers. Its like comparing apples to oranges. There are no other companies that can put together so many videogame stars into one game like Nintendo can. and as someone else said, the reviewer here probably loves to go around trolling high-rated games to make his site a bit more popular and controversial.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

and as someone else said, the reviewer here probably loves to go around trolling high-rated games to make his site a bit more popular and controversial.

Game Informer is a magazine and that was the whole point of the review...

Personally, as long as it's fun and I like it, no amount of negativity will stop me from playing a game :D.

I don't see how anyone couldn't like SSB N64 was very fun which I'm dl'ing to my Wii soon :lol: If you find SSB boring try doing hard difficulty to make it fun. Of course playing on medium or easy is going to be boring because you can easy kill your enemies. What I find fun is using the new characters new moves and the new stages :)

258uo8n.jpg

I don't see how anyone couldn't like SSB N64 was very fun which I'm dl'ing to my Wii soon :lol: If you find SSB boring try doing hard difficulty to make it fun. Of course playing on medium or easy is going to be boring because you can easy kill your enemies. What I find fun is using the new characters new moves and the new stages :)

I agree that learning new things is fun, but those are basics. "Hard difficulty" is so easy I could probably beat 3 level 9 com's teamed against me... #-o

However, coms are boring. Thats why we play people. :D

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Ha, this was the first article of the new issue I read :P There's really no sense in debating about it, the whole thing was basically a roast; in fact, the section was entitled, "Sacred Cow Barbeque". Reading the other parts, the other games, you can tell they're only pointing out bad parts of awesome games.

Chillax, guys.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

he got this from the article where they rip into some critically acclaimed games like golden eye and half life

don't take it too serious

I've noticed that things like that can be repeated millions of times, yet many of those who argue don't seem to notice.

Heh, just canceled my subscription to Game Informer because of that.

Hah wow, talk about a massive fanboy reaction. If you guys can't take simple humor like this then I'd love for you guys to read the nega-review on joystiq.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/10/nega- ... ros-brawl/

"Super Smash Bros. Brawl isn't a giant leap forward from Super Smash Bros. Melee." (9) "Repetition is Brawl's ... real crime." (2) The "beat-em-up gameplay [is] relatively unchanged" (3) -- "returning to your stock franchises ... shackles you to old ways." (2) "This game was made for Nintendo fans. ... For the uninterested gamer, it's a curious diversion." (7)

"Subspace Emissary is boring. There, we said it." (8) "The storyline itself seems almost randomly compiled a pieced together jigsaw puzzle of different factions coming together." (1) No, "there's not much rhyme or reason to the plot" (3) -- "it's a narrative mish-mash and bloated as hell." (2) "Most the time, you don't know what's going on. ... We find the complete lack of storytelling disturbing." (8)

"As a platformer, [subspace Emissary] is not great." (2) "The fine-tuned jumping mechanics needed for platformers just aren't built into all of the Brawl characters, and shoehorning fighting game characters into action-adventure side-stories hasn't worked well since Tekken experimented with the same." (9) "Dull level design and unnecessarily tricksy warp door antics" (2) don't help, nor does "a seemingly random placement of Nintendo characters and newly designed enemy fodder." (1) "If this mode were a standalone game, it wouldn't rate very highly." (9) "The Subspace Emissary component ... is simply not as balanced or entertaining as the stages designed for multiple human opponents." (1)

Online, "voice chat is not an option ... and likely won't ever be, thanks to what must be the Japanese company's desire to create a safe environment for younger gamers." (9) Instead, "there's ... just a gimped text system that uses a paltry four pre-written messages." (1) "Real-time chat would've been excellent here, especially when passing along a post-Brawl victory speech or grumbling in defeat. " (5) "Nintendo's attempt to protect us from child molesters is appreciated, but there are other alternatives to protecting the children (not to mention us)." (8)

"The same complaint can be applied to the fact that Brawl uses Friend Codes, one of Nintendo's most-hated inventions." (8) "You have to go through the trouble of entering Friend Codes in order to enlist new competition" (5) and "for more control over your matches." (7) "If you're playing against random opponents, you won't even see their names or be able to communicate with them at all" (1) -- "you won't be able to get together again after a well-played match, for example. ... It's an online system that ends up feeling very much like playing against computer-controlled opponents, as it's all very faceless and impersonal." (9) What's more, "there's no online leader board or statistic tracking," (1) and "when playing with random people over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, you can't play with multiple people on your console." (8)

"The graphics definitely lack detail in areas." (1) "The game has a slightly washed-out look, for example, and many of the cut-scenes are overcompressed." (8) "Many of the backgrounds are kept very simple in an effort to the keep the framerate up" (1) -- they're definitely "sometimes lacking detail and the graphical quality." (8) "Character animations, while speedy, typically ignore the laws of physics, weight, and momentum." (1) "Meanwhile, when it comes to character models, certain characters have been given obvious special treatment. ... Moreover, the game has aliasing problems up the wazoo especially on HDTVs." (8)

"You'd be hard-pressed to tell this game apart from its GameCube predecessor when viewed side-by-side." (9) The game has "not-much-better-than-the-last-one graphics" (7) and "the overall appearance of the game does seem a little bit like Melee 1.5." (5) "From a visual standpoint, Brawl doesn't look much better than Super Smash Bros. Melee did on the GameCube." (9) "Yeah, the graphics don't really go too far forward." (5)

"Controls are an issue, too." (2) "It must be noted that Brawl is not well-suited to a standalone Wii remote." (1) "The D-pad is no match for an analogue stick and the button-starved design means that no matter how you calibrate, a key action will be relegated to the unreachable minus button." (2) Non-GameCube pads "ultimately don't offer the quickest response time" (4) and "the lack of a second analogue stick removes quick access to smash attacks." (2)

"A bloated cast ... struggles to hide the basic character types each fighter boils down to." (2) "The similarities between Fox McCloud and Falco, for example, are so great I had a hard time telling them apart." (4) "Signature moves aside, it's hard to see where Dedede differs from Bowser, and if Link, Ike and Pit weren't programmed by the same guy, we'll eat our sword flurry." (2) That said, "we'd be liars if we suggested we weren't disappointed that even more third-party character crossovers weren't introduced." (1) "We can't help but wish there were more where they came from." (9) "Yes, we could use more characters in the roster." (1)

Sources

(1) IGN

(2) NGamer

(3) GameTap

(4) GamePro

(5) GameDaily

(6) GameSpot

(7) 1UP

(8) Kombo

(9) GameSpy

Was that post really necessary Nadril? All its doing is trying to start some flame wars. Obviously we wouldn't have had the confusion if the original poster said that this article was just junk.

He's canceling his subscription over a joke, I think it was.

And anyways the nega-review is hilarious.

Was that post really necessary Nadril? All its doing is trying to start some flame wars. Obviously we wouldn't have had the confusion if the original poster said that this article was just junk.

He's canceling his subscription over a joke, I think it was.

And anyways the nega-review is hilarious.

I think it was funny, and I do agree on it with a few points, i.e. Voice Chat, the dumb friend code system, no leaderboards... I could go on, there are a lot of things missing from brawl.... :wall: )

But regaurdless of everything it doesnt have, I still enjoy it, so I will continue playing it.

And SS4, Game Informer just did that to bash some of the most popular games. They weren't entriely serious about that, just poking fun at them :roll:

I'm keeping my subscription, I know they just wrote it for entertainment purposes, and to hear everyones fanmail that agrees or disagrees with it lol.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I was just joking, guys >.>

I canceled my Game Informer subscription years ago anyways.

Nadril, stop before you say any further word. I am not fully a fanboy of Nintendo, I play my Xbox, go over my friends house and play some Resistance. I am not this:

nintendo-nerd-lord.jpg

Sure, I enjoy Brawl, play a few times a week and was hyped up before it's release, but I do admit it's weakness. The physics is a bit off, the online mode is nearly unplayable, the story mode was a bit questioning and the lack of a playable Mr. Saturn. :/ I also would have wished for a larger and more creative roster. (R.O.B.?)

Brawl is not the best game ever (Earthbound is.)and it doesn't feel totally different than Melee. (about the difference between Halo 2 and Halo 3)

But it isn't the horrible piece of [cabbage] your compiled article from various sources makes it to be.

songokusigtif.png

its true. when I went over to my friends house i played SSBB. I couldn't tell what was going on (creatures rapidly flashing almost gave me a siezesure) but after one match of tapping a (i used the gamecube controller) i came out on top. I think the game is to confusing and its hard to tell whats going on.

IM+mos+DEF.png

its true. when I went over to my friends house i played SSBB. I couldn't tell what was going on (creatures rapidly flashing almost gave me a siezesure) but after one match of tapping a (i used the gamecube controller) i came out on top. I think the game is to confusing and its hard to tell whats going on.

Noob.

Anyway, I doubt anybody continues to play this game with SSE... they play multi player.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

i played all of the series and by far, the melee was the best in my book. brawl only lasted about 25 days until i completely stopped playing it. the reason was (like the few posts above me) the graphics gave me seizures and it was a lot harder to know what's going on (sorry inuyasha i'm not a noob.) -.- i still enjoy melee and i play it on my wii over brawl.

Brawl's good, the only issue I have with it is when someone is about to attack or something, and they trip, leaving themselves completely open to a devastating attack and ending their chance for a KO.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I hate/love tripping.

I hate it against you guys on Wifi, or in things like Boss Battle where every second is crucial. A trip, and I might be dead.

I love it because it fools my friends. They see me charging, and they shield, to block my attack. However, I trip instead of attacking, then attack as I get up, and their shield runs out. Not very reliable though...

But yes, tripping sucks. Also, another thing I don't like about Brawl (But like about Melee) is the Target Tests. Sure, five levels is pretty cool, but I much preferred every character to have a different one, created to suit them. Like the Pikachu one in Melee relied on Thunder Jolt, Ness's on PK Thunder, Jigglypuff's on five jumps, etc.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

That thing made me LOL.

And I fail to see why people say Melee was better. I mean, I liked it too, but I prefer Brawl, by a lot :\

And seriously, if you game a like, fine, but if you hate it, don't bash it :D I don't go around bashing games I didn't like just because I didn't like it. Yes i'm biased, but I LOVE brawl.