My Guide To Blackjacking - Fastest xp to 91 thief. Update!!

Gin_and_Tonic

I'd like to apologise for messing this thread up. I did not realise i was using a lagging internet connection when i tried blackjacking again.

I've been back at Thugs for about 6 thieving levels now, but i've not bothered to 're-open' this thread... So anyway, its back and im going to work on updating my guide.

Im currently figuring out the experience per/h per/level, so watch this guide if you'd like to know how im getting on.

[hide=Introduction]In this guide i will be covering the basic of blackjacking, what it is, why you should do it and how to do it...

Many people believe that Pyramid Plunder is the fastest thieving experience in the game - i believe this is wrong. Blackjacking provides the fastest thieving experience all the way from level 45-91, and in some cases, (provided you're good at it), through to 99.

Break down;

45-55 - around 90k xp an hour

55-65 - around 150k xp an hour

65-87 - around 180k xp an hour

87-91 - around 200 xp an hour

91-99 - around 220k xp an hour

Those figures were just to grab your attention, however they are accurate - provided you do not talk/banter while blackjacking. Before we begin, i will state a few things that will prevent you from being able to blackjack

- You use a touchpad mouse - most likely to be found on a laptop

- You have a slow or bad internet connection - dial up or constant lag

- You are afraid to have wrist ache, arm ache or even CTS :P

- You talk/divert your attention easily - go to PP if you do this.[/hide]

[hide=What is blackjacking?]Blackjacking trains the skill of thieving.

It is based around the use of a blackjack, and a variety of differnt Bandits found around Pollnveach.

In order to unlock the use of blackjacks, you must complete The Feud quest. Its simple, and the link can be found at the bottom of this guide.

In order to use a blackjack, you must have 30 thieving - however, in order to make best use of it, you must have 45 thieving.[/hide]

[hide=Obtaining 45 thieving]There are numerous ways to obtain 45 thieving, however the two best ways are;

Quests - (easy ones to do at low levels)

The feud - 15000 thieving xp

The Golem - 1000 xp

Land of the goblins - 3000 xp

Troll Stronghold - (up to 20000 xp)

Non-quest

1-10 Men

5-20 Tea Stall (or you can use bakery stalls, if you can get to them)

20-25 Silk stall or carry on with bakery stalls/tea

25-38 Warriors

38-45 Master Farmer

When you're about 15k xp off level 45, i'd suggest doing The Feud quest. Master Farmer can get frustrating and you only need 45 for the experience to flow[/hide].

[hide=Now that you're 45 thieving]When you're finally hit 45 thieving, you're ready to begin blackjacking.

There are three different types of blackjacks you can use - Oak, willow and maple. They can also be made offensive, defensive or made as regular blackjacks. When using them to thieve, the only thing that matters is the material - always, always, always use a maple blackjack.

In order to obtain a mapleblack, you can do three things;

- buy/get one of a friend

- try the grand exchange (i put an offer in for days forgetting it was there and didn't get one)

- do the favour for Ali-Morrisane (Rouge Trader). You only need to do the Blackjack part and it takes about 5 minutes. I'll post a link to the guide at the bottom

Once you have acquired a maple blackjack, you're almost on your way to start - however, you first need a few items.[/hide]

[hide=The basics of blackjacking]Now you have the maple blackjack in your possesion, i will tell you exactly how it is you blackjack. I am unable to provide a video, sadly, however if you read this properly you will understand...

Blackjacking involves you 'knocking out' (during which phase it is impossible to fail a pickpocket) a bandit, pickpocketing him twice while he is on the floor (its impossible to do it three times, so dont try it), and then simply repeating the proccess. For example, your mouse clicks will be this;

'Right Click - Ko Bandit'

'Right Click - Pick pocket'

'Right Click - Pick pocket'

*****repeat*****

The bandit will remain knocked out for around 3 seconds... It is vital you make the second pickpocket quickly. If you fail to do two pickpockets in the given time, you will attempt a 'normal pickpocket' for which can fail - if this happens, you will be stunned and take a further 5 damage.

Every now and again (more frequently at first), you can fail to knock out your bandit... If this happens, the message 'im going to kill you for that' kill appear on your screen and you will take 4 damage. Also, the bandit will begin to attack you and you will engage in a normal fight... However, there is a way to stop this

*******Read the below information carefully*******

Your mouse movements must look like this;

'Right Click - Knock out'

**Message box; Your blow just glances off the bandits head**

''Bandit: Im going to kill you for that''

**Message box; Your blow just glances off the bandits head**

''Bandit: Im going to kill you for that''

'Right Click - Pick Pocket'

'Right Click - Pick Pocket'

'Right click - Know out'

etc... etc...

Once the bandit has said the message 'im going to kill you for that', you have a few moments before he begins the attack - it is now you MUST re-attempt to knock him out or atleast try to pickpocket him - i'd strongly advise re-attempting to ko him if you have the co-ordination as you are likely to fail and take damage if you pickpocket him.

It seems a little vague now, but in short - if you fail to ko him, keep trying to ko him again or he will attack you and you will have to leave the area. Once you have ko'd him, pickpocket as usual.[/hide]

[hide=Picture break-down of blackjacking Thugs]Upon entering, pick any one of the three spots shown. (the red squares indicate where you want the thug)

standhereww3.jpg

First of all, you need to attempt to ko the Thug

part1ju7.jpg

After that, immediately pickpocket the thug (provided the attempt to ko is a success)

part2zl7.jpg

As soon as the message for the first pickpocket appears, pickpocket him again (you have litterally a few miliseconds to do this)

part3fa9.jpg

As soon as the thug is standing again, or after the second pickpocket, repeat the ko phase and repeat the above stages

part4cc3.jpg

If he catches you and says 'I'll kill you for that' either really quickly try to KO him again, or pickpocket him normally (you have 1-2 seconds to do this) if you fail and he begins hitting you, stand here.

standhereifseenbg4.jpg

The key is to get him trapped. Then, when no other thugs are about, set to run and then ko him asap. Remember to close the curtain after the KO. If another thug wonders in, lure him out.[/hide]

[hide=Set up]setupog3.jpg

-I choose to use wines as they heal 11 and they're only 80gp. Im pretty sure you can only purchase 1k at a time in the G.E, however they're always in stock.

-If you intend to gain a high level, bring around 3-4k wines. I used about 2000 getting 80.

-There is a General Store in Pollnveach, so you do not need to worry about banking.

-You only need either 200gp (for carpet ride) or 300gp (if you wish to bride the guard and ride the carpet). The money you pickpocket will more than cover for the buy-back on wines.

-I do not have gloves of silence, and they do not actually effect your success when thieving, however i would take them as if you fail to pickpocket him in time to the ko, they will improve your chance to succeed in a 'normal pickpocket'.

-You can take a bracelet of regeneration if you have the money to purchase one. Although they're expensive, they have no negative effects, and heal 1 hp per minute extra.

-I've heard some of the healing summoning familiars can help - however, you need to have the summoning level, money to purchase the pouches etc... To be frank, i think wines will do nicely.

-The armour you wear makes no difference to the outcome. I would advise to wear desert robes anyway incase you run into the desert by mistake

-Pollenveach is not effected by the desert heat - skins are not needed[/hide].

[hide=45-65 thieving]Now you finally have everything you need to thieve and the a basic knowledge of how to blackjack, its time to start.

In order to get to Pollenveach, simple get the magic carpet at the front of Shantay and ask him to take you here. - You must have your right arm free to ride the carpet.

In Pollenveach there are three bandits;

whattotheifqg7.jpg

From level 45-65 thieving you will need to stay in the same location, but switch bandit at the respected level.

This tent is probably the best place to do it. The curtain will not open (it does on many of the other tents), and if you make a mistake and the bandit starts hitting you, just run up the ladder and then go back down again, and continue your ko'ing.

45theiffo7.jpg

Use bearded bandits for 45-55, then bandits for 55-65... For these levels, it took me a few hours. I used this period to establish a technique and get used to the idea of blackjacking. Blackjacking is always the same method from level 45-99, so when you obtain a method, it can be perfected as you continue to blackjack.[/hide]

[hide=65-99 Thieving]Once you have hit 65 thieving, you're set for 99. Instantly move to Menaphite Thugs, and i believe this is the best building to do them in;

65theifgm2.jpg

Just lure the Thugs in as needed and pick a decent place to begin pick pocketing them. Its probably best to corner them between the crate and barrel so he doesn't wander off too much.

If you fail to re-ko him in time or he begins to attack you, run outside the building to the south, just one square, and he will be trapped behind inside the building - then, just right click (set run on) and attempt to ko him - your character will run through the door and attempt to ko him - this will negate his agression.

By this stage you've probably got the hang of blackjacking and are well on your way to high levels. At first the levels fly in, but after 80, you're looking at between 1-2 hours a level till about 90 - then afterwards, it can seem forever till you level.[/hide]

[hide=Useful pointers]- Listen to the music. If you're failing to make the second pickpocket in time, wait till you hear the sound of the first pick, before clicking the second attempt to pickpocket (again, this will become clear as you try the method)

- When thieving the thugs, it's sometimes useful to get a villager to follow you around. If the Thug begins to attack you, just step behind the Village and he cant hit you (this only works with the male villagers).

- Blackjacking is a fast method, however is requires constant work and can become easily boring - mix up your skills if you dont want to burn out.

- South of the Thugs there is a carpet that will take you to Nardah. There is a bank here so you can bank any items you need - i usually bank after every couple of 000k i manage to pickpocket incase i die.

- Keep your hitpoints above 20. If you continually fail to ko him, you can lose 20hp in a matter of seconds

- If you full concentrate, from level 75-80 you can gain around 3.5-4k xp a minute.

- Set the number of mouse buttons to 1 - this will ease your finger clicking, wrist movement and its generally easier.[/hide]

[hide=Profit and Time Scales]Money matters

From 65-99 it is 91,305 Pickpockets.

Thats 5478k gp

Minus the cost to buy-back wines and purchase the wines orginally, you're looking at about a 4.7-4.9million gp profit.

Time scales

From 65-99 i would estimate you're looking at about 200k xp an hour. This is factoring in the lower xp p/h before level 90, and the higher xp p/h you gain after.

Its 12.5m xp for 99 from 65, so divide that by 200k and you're looking at around 62 hours.

This 62 hours figure is without the need to re-purchase your wines - this takes on avg. about 30 seconds to do.

Assuming you use 3k wines for 65-99, and you take 27 wines per invent, you'll need to do 111 re-purchases. 111 * 30 seconds, leaves you with, on average, 55 minutes spent re-purchasing for 65-99 thieving.

I'll round this figure up to 1 hour, and add it to the existing time of 62 hours, and you'll looking at about 63 hours of playing time to achieve 65-99.

Logically, there are going to be external factors effecting your time - for example, random events, the amount of times you fail to re-ko the bandit and the hours for when you are more/less productive... For these imminent problems, i would add around 3-4 hours of playing time.

Total for 45-65 thieving; around 3 hours.

Total for 65-99 thieving; around 65 hours.

Total for 45-99 thieving; around 68 hours.[/hide]

[hide=Useful links]The Feud quest;

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?rs2quest_id=93

Rouge Trader mini-game guide;

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?page=rogue_trader.htm

The Tip.It thieving skill guide;

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?page=thieving_guide.htm

The Tip.It thieving skill calculator;

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?page=thieving_calc.htm

The Tip.It thieving skill planner;

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?page=thieving_planner.htm

Special thanks

-Only real person/people/website i need to thank is Tip.It Fansite. For the guides, figures and pictures.[/hide]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, this guide is amazing! <3:

The experience sounds amazing -- I just might have to try it =D

10/11! (Yes, out of 11. Think of it as 10/10, but there's always room for improvement.)

Heavyc1.png

heavyc1.png

Thanks Draynor.net!

Oh wow, this guide is amazing! <3:

The experience sounds amazing -- I just might have to try it =D

10/11! (Yes, out of 11. Think of it as 10/10, but there's always room for improvement.)

Thank you.

If enough people try it out, but cant figure out the basics, i'll be happy to come down and give a demonstration.

As for the improvements, im currently taking a break from Thieving to train some other skills, but once i return, i'll update this thread with everything else i know, more pictures and more tips. :D

Haha did you find this out from Zarfot

Use less hide tags!!

After doing The Feud quest, i stayed and carried on hitting all the villagers and bandits, but never realised the xp i was getting. When i levelled i carried on doing it then i Pm'd a mate and he told me there was a guide on it.

So yeah, i read it -but alot of the ideas are my own and the guide on RSOF is a little complicated to read. This, i believe is a simple guide.

As for the hide tags, yeah i used alot, but text/hide tag threads look vugly.

~You just saved me from buying more Sceptres. Thanks a lot; your guide is very helpful and well-laid-out.~

Thank you every much.

As people try this method they'll quickly notice you need alot of dedication and effort ... Dont let that put you off it though.

If you are only level 80, then how do you know the xp for sure from 80+?

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.

How exactly is a touchpad a limitation here? From what I've seen you're right-clicking and clicking in the same general area, and a touchpad really doesn't restrict that at all.

Other than that, nice guide. I always wondered if blackjacking was actually worth a [cabbage] :P

Hevendor_Guy.png

rsdeadzm5.png

There's cake through here, apparently.

How exactly is a touchpad a limitation here? From what I've seen you're right-clicking and clicking in the same general area, and a touchpad really doesn't restrict that at all.

Other than that, nice guide. I always wondered if blackjacking was actually worth a [cabbage] :P

Touch pad's are not a complete limitation, but they can become extremely tedious and frustrating. I used my laptop for 77-79 and it took almost twice as long. Whats more, when the bandit catches you, using a touchpad can make it harder to prevent him from attacking...

Its hard to explain, and its probably possible to use a touchpad, however, from experience, i did find a Mouse alot easier to use.

Nice guide Simon! I never realised they were such good exp <3:

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Good guide, but I think PP is better since most people can't stay focused that much for an entire hour. It's worth a shot though.

Great guide, never realized they were such great exp. I have gone from 54 to almost 56 thieving myself there, and I have a question. Does higher thieving increase your chance of knocking out the bandit ? And would you recommend wearing armor ? I seem to get hit quite a lot when I can´t knock them out within the 2 swings.

268 Quest Points

Nice guide man, also nice to see you play again, don't know if you remember me though...

Of course i remember you :P

Feel free to add me on; Run_my_ores.

Great guide, never realized they were such great exp. I have gone from 54 to almost 56 thieving myself there, and I have a question. Does higher thieving increase your chance of knocking out the bandit ? And would you recommend wearing armor ? I seem to get hit quite a lot when I can´t knock them out within the 2 swings

Wearing armour may help a little if the bandits do begin to attack you and you cant run out fast enough. So yeah, i mean armour would help i suppose if you kept failing to re-ko them.

As for the thieving levels - yeah, you have a much higher success rate as you gain levels. After 91, i hear you only fail them about 1 in every 300 or so attempts.

OK, tried this, this seems quite fast xp, BUT:

At 61 thieving (that's what I'm at) I fail about every 3rd or 4th try with the bearded bandit and my computer is that laggy, that I'm not even able to pickpocket him twice and to try to re-knock him out- Seems impossible... Maybe one of the requirements should be fast computer?

(first hour of mayhem in desert)

Joke ;)

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

OK, tried this, this seems quite fast xp, BUT:

At 61 thieving (that's what I'm at) I fail about every 3rd or 4th try with the bearded bandit and my computer is that laggy, that I'm not even able to pickpocket him twice and to try to re-knock him out- Seems impossible... Maybe one of the requirements should be fast computer?

(first hour of mayhem in desert)

Joke ;)

A fast internet connection and non-lagg was a reccomendation ;)

Hey, for us lazy people that talk a lot, when would be a good time to switch over to pyramid plunder? And I fail a lot at 55 tbh >.<

I've heard either 81 or 91 is probably best.

You gain less xp at PP till 91, but at 81 i guess the xp wouldn't be that much less.

And the failing will go eventually.

If you're really fed up at failing, continue with the bearded bandits till like 72-75 then swap. ;p

Great guide,

Tips on movement to the other mouse button :lol: .

(some people take RS a little to serous I guess)

looks like good xp tough,

and a good guide :thumbsup: !

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

Well in the past 2 days i've gotten thieving from 54 to 68 (nearly 69 =o). And btw, this guide has also inspired me to go for 99 thieving :)

And another thing. At first I didn't believe the xp rates, but they really are possible *if* you can stay concentrated for that long. Which is unfortunately hard for me :P

Range_0r.png

Anyways, BBL OFF TO SLEEP WITH A RACCOON