Achievements becoming less worthwhile?

The Observer

You've finally achieved level 99 in the skill you're looking for. One day later, you walk around and you see several people wearing the same cape. Now, isn't that demoralizing? With the increase of high level people in RuneScape (and the updates not always able to keep up), many achievements in RuneScape get disregarded as a large number of people end up achieving it. What was once a rare to see achievement, turns into one of those achievements that everyone doesn't care about.

Discuss.

j0xPu5R.png

Remember when the first page of highscores was NOT completely filled with people with maxed-out levels? Now, if you get all 99's, you will end up on the second page (or the third page, which will probably happen sometime in the near future)

mememe513.png

i think so too

i mean a new person achieving 99 agility i may not care about as much as like 1 year ago when i got it because ive seen so many people achieve the same thing and so many agility capes.

same with level 91 runecrafting used to be pretty rare but now many many more people go for it and they realize that it isnt that hard afterall

38 people have all 99s used to only be 3!

StarViv.png

If you get a 99 just to impress others, you're bound to be disappointed

I don't waste my time getting 99 in a skill unless I need it (like range or magic)

There's so many players now that it's almost impossible to be unique anymore. I think the only impressive achievement item now is the gold 5-feathered chompy hat

77yLQy8.png

I don't waste my time getting 99 in a skill unless I need it (like range or magic)

There's so many players now that it's almost impossible to be unique anymore. I think the only impressive achievement item now is the gold 5-feathered chompy hat

Ahem!

As runescape becomes more populated more and more achieve these achievements, you just have to find new ones.

I'll use cw tickets as an example. A year ago only 1 player had over 10k tickets. Now theres 6 people, and the first will probably be forgotten. It's how the game evolves. Unfortunately jagex arent releasing enough long-term achievement type things anymore, i doubt they'l ever release anything like chompy and cw rewards again as so many players would complain about how long they would take. Anything they release now is usually a week or two at max to do.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

theres other achievements in runescape that can be unique in a way. example: i'm trying for 100 whip drops, or you can start the biggest firecape collection. achievements are for pride and making you feel satisfied with what you've complete. self gratification was out of the picture since skill capes.

I agree with Muggi. I got 99 defence because I knew it would take longer than attack or strength which meant that it would be a long term goal. When I achieved the 99 I was happy that I had stuck with it and that gave me a sence of achievement. I don't care how many defence capes I see because I did it as a personal goal and not to impress others.

I also own a gold 5 feathered chompy hat and I think that items like that and gold castlewars armour deserve just as much respect as a skill cape. In my many years of playing runescape I have only ever seen 3 people wearing full gold castlewars armour and I have NEVER seen someone wearing the gold 5 feathered chompy hat. (Excluding myself)

I just think that people should set personal goals and not just try to impress others.

Don't play with fire!

Murfy.gif

18,200th to 99 Defence!

99 Slayer is still an incredible act of combat devotion. 1433 have at as of this post, compared to say the 40k+ with Fletching or Cooking.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

I've only ever seen one untrimmed hp cape since they day I got one myself...was a nice person to be honest, we chatted a bit too.

There are still a few awesome 99s such as slayer, summoning, runecrafting and the like.

Villandra(yes the untrimmed slayer cape girl 8-) ), is trying to get an untrimmed summoning cape now.

As we speak, 90 summoning with 85 hp.

You've finally achieved level 99 in the skill you're looking for. One day later, you walk around and you see several people wearing the same cape. Now, isn't that demoralizing?

Yes it is. But the fact that people feel the need to bring you down because over 35k people have the same level as you demoralize me more.

oie_080707215636np9.png

You've finally achieved level 99 in the skill you're looking for.

The forty thousand other people that got it before you see you wearing the same cape, now that's demoralizing. Facts is, achievements in big MMOs are inevitablely less valuable every time someone new gets them. It's something no one, not even Jagex can do anything about. The only thing left to do is aim higher and work harder on something more difficult to achieve.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

38 people have all 99s used to only be 3!

You're right that for a long while there was only 3 people with maxed stats but at one point there was only one. I don't think it's so much a race of who can get a level as with so many people some-one else is always going to do it too. I think it's now about the speed you can get the level in - or the least amount of time you can obtain your level. Or even the most fun you can have.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

the only cape that arent seen around so often are the new skills that people havent found good techniques to level fast or are quite hard to level. summoning is quite old now but is still quite rare. but even now i can guarantee that every 1/3 time i walk into world 24 castlewars i will see a steel titan

Money_Wasted.png

All I gotta say is my first 98 skill was smithing and I still havnt got around to getting 99 yet. It was like 2 years ago I got like 96 and last year 98 before stakers where removed from the game. Destroying my goal tbh.

I managed smith over 400k rune knifes (x5) which was a kinda goal of mine, was going for 500k originally. I know I managed 400k though so I happy with that.... I have to be.

I advice you dont train skills for other people. I cant be bothered to get 99 now.. My method is ruined. I trained that for fun mostly.. (Which is gone for me) I had contacts and everything lol! Great fun.. back then. I dont miss the merchanters though, I had to keep my eyes open alot make sure they true stakers.

I will get it one day but I prefer 99 mining first. I aint training it yet though.. So whatever.

i dont see how personal achievements are less worthwhile. it's each person's achievements; they can be proud of what they've achieved. you can be proud of what you've achieved.

i personally think it's like looking at a puzzle and putting the pieces together and everyone has their own puzzle they're given and some people's puzzles are more compicated and others are simple or already half put together etc. if you get what i'm saying. i'm referring to gameplay.

the fun for me is making a goal then doing what i need to do to accomplish it and with several skills that adds more challenge to it. like how fishing helps cooking and woodcutting might help construction etc.

so each person's achievement is their own and a worthy achievement, i like how runescape starts out; basically you're penniless and have to make your way and that's a great thing really. and i agree that in runescape there are many "unofficial achievements" that exist that keep people busy and entertained. but what can you say about a community that puts so much value in an item like a christmas cracker.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

That's just how it works, can't stop progress. Jagex adds new stuff that is better than what was there before all the time, so overtime it's normal everything gets easier and easier.

2480+ total

Sooner or later more and more people will gain more and more levels. Its how runescape works you can't be upset or put down achievements because other people who used to be below you are starting to rise up. This can lead to negative effects heres my example: My who friend showed me RS and after awhile my character beat his (who had huge jump on mine, 47 lvls). He ended up actually hacking me forcing me to create Coolcobra. Which still beat him :D .

Now I can't say that achievements are as HARD as they used to be with many skills now have an "X" option but you can't stop progress. But an achievement doesn't exactly lose it's value because more have it. It still took those others that have that cape the same work and effort you put into it to obtain one. So with each person that gains the cape, the community gains more value because we can bring lots of hard working people into it and its a chain reaction!

When one person gets the cape it inspires another to work towards an achievement and he/she inspires another and it keeps on going.

My 3 favorite skills!

1st. coolcobra77.png

2nd. coolcobra77.png

3rd. coolcobra77.png

I've only ever seen one untrimmed hp cape since they day I got one myself...was a nice person to be honest, we chatted a bit too.

There are still a few awesome 99s such as slayer, summoning, runecrafting and the like.

Villandra(yes the untrimmed slayer cape girl 8-) ), is trying to get an untrimmed summoning cape now.

I wasn't aware it was possible to get two untrimmed capes...or am I missing somehing here?

Current account: Dragonguy 87

Goals: Get members

Get all skills 40+

Hehe, this is like Jagex telling half of Runescape players that they're [developmentally delayed]. Sort of. That's how I interpreted it. :P

Runescape is why I support abortion.

I wasn't aware it was possible to get two untrimmed capes...or am I missing somehing here?

She is getting untrimmed Summoning cape on a different account. She has 2376 total on Villandra, and on her blog on like rsc or something she said she got bored on there, because she likes getting levels, so she got 85 slayer on a lvl 74, then untrimmed slayer cape, and now shes going for an untrimmed Summoning cape. The account's name is Lorica.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

Oh why thank you. ::' But getting another 1k kills like me is even more impressive. :thumbsup: I wish they'd introduce a Jubly Hunting minigame which has even more hats.

I just got another 99 last night, but to me it's just another level. Like someone posted earlier, if you get 99 in a skill just to impress others with your shiny new cape, you'll be sorely dissappointed. That being said, achievements are going to continue to become more ordinary as more people start playing.