Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Once you go WOW, you never go back?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

All_Bogs
[ Display Name History ]

All_Bogs

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,531 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:All Bogs

Once you go WOW, you never go back?

This is the case for me. Although I still find RS interesting, I'm no longer an active player, as an awful lot of my time goes in WoW.

I see some comments on WoW being a grind. Well, sure, every MMO is in a way. But RuneScape as far worse as far as grinding goes.

I wouldn't say it's easier, either. Boss monsters in WoW are vastly more complicated than anything on RS. The only thing that really stand out in Scape is the fight caves, although that's more or less due to the amount of time required for each shot you get to take at Jad.

I also saw someone comment he played on a private server. Seriously, don't. Both the community (which is like half the game) and the gameplay itself seriously fail on private servers.

The lack of solo-endgame comments are a valid complaint. Sure, there's some factions you can improve your standing with, but that's that, and even those have aspects of grouping to them. There's no devilishly complicated stuff like Mourning's End Two you can lose yourself in. So if grouping and socializing isn't your cup of tea, then WoW probably isn't for you.

I do disagree with RS being more "accesible" than WoW. Doing some stuff on the GE for five minutes is compared to doing an instance in WoW. A more reasonable comparison would be killing bosses in the God Wars dungeon versus doing an instance. And face it, you don't log in to do some boss killing for five minutes.

And finally, sure, you need a fairly recent PC to run WoW flawlessly on it's highest settings. But my old PC, which is at this time about six years old, was able to run it at an acceptable level with most settings at a medium level. Most of the requirements to run the game at an acceptable level aren't high at all - only it's RAM requirements might be considered high, as it isn't really playable with under 512 megs.

bored321
[ Display Name History ]

bored321

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tera
I played WoW for just over a week (brother let me use his comp and account when he was on hols) and after that i don't think i will play it again for the following.

its not that hard to max,

gameplay aint that great really,

costs more,

sure gfx are slightly better but its is like a 1+ GB install compared to rs 78mb.

Personally after awhile it got so boring, i had to go play rs now and then just to get over the boredom.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

If you love PvP, then WoW is for you

Yet WoW is a PvE game and the PvP in WoW clearly fails.

Better than RS's PvP in my opinion...but yeah, WoW has MASS PvE in the end-game...

That's what got me bored in WoW. All you get to do in the end-game is instances... no solo-play at all... -.- And if you wanted to do the better instances you had to join good guilds that require you play hardcore which I really don't like.

If you're a casual gamer (like I am now), RS is better than WoW in the long-run. Don't get me wrong, WoW is a great game, really fun from levels 1-60, but it fails at the end-game for casual players/solo.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

casthewiz
[ Display Name History ]

casthewiz

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 451 posts
Wow>Runescape.

At least until you get bored and decide to go play CoD4, thus making both rpg's graphics look like pixelated blobs.
No witty signatures for me :(

Returned3
[ Display Name History ]

Returned3

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • RSN:Legend of R3
  • RSN2:R3 Trilogy
  • Clan:None
I dont know much about Wow, but does Dota count as it?

Cuz the reason most of my friends/ people I know play Dota instead of Runescape is because of the graphics (not any more), they cant buy prepaid cards and have to rely on themselves to level up rather than party/teaming.

I'd like to try WoW, but Im not willing to spend money on the disc and leave Runescape for it.
00:00:05
00:00:04
00:00:03
00:00:02
00:00:01
00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

Leetman
[ Display Name History ]

Leetman

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 65 posts
I game in bouts, typically I'll play R00nscape for a month or two really hardcore-like, then I'll either have a month break doing non-gaming stuff and Play WoW for two or so months (conveniently the time a subscription card is worth) or jump immediately into WoW. They're two completely different (as far as delivery) games lumped together because of similar themes/goals. One fufills my lust for achievement (Runescape) while the other fufills my lust for an engaging structured team experience (WoW). Both are equally hard, FOR ME. WoW can be overwhelming with all you have to do, while Runescape you can pick and choose, although you'll be doing a lot more of it in the long run.

Both are good games, and once you go WoW, if you're like me you'll probably come back
Posted Image

brammy7
[ Display Name History ]

brammy7

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 490 posts

Played WoW a month and got bored.. have to have a team for everything

This

Lowgravity
[ Display Name History ]

Lowgravity

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,711 posts
I went to WoW, and I got bored, then I came back, people who play WoW are either huge fanboys, people who are addicted, or people who are just starting out, it's impossible to be a casual player on WoW. So WoW is better than RS if you have no life, but if you don't have 8 hours to spare every night raiding then RS is better :thumbup:

edit- RS also gets better, more frequent updates, whereas WoW you have to pay even more money for one big package, and soon they have to buy another one.

Lowgravity, I want to be just like you. But...I never will be as 1337 as you. :(

Hermon
[ Display Name History ]

Hermon

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

does Dota count as it?

No. Dota is a warcraft 3 mod, while WoW is a completely different (game mechanics) game.

alright. once, there was a family of the dad, Joe, the mom, Sue and the son Jim. one day they were sitting at the breakfast table eating pancakes. the next thing they knew, 3 giant penguins came in and bit their heads off. they died. the end

SirDavidm
[ Display Name History ]

SirDavidm

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 34 posts
play guildwars

Gravy
[ Display Name History ]

Gravy

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • RSN:Gravy
  • RSN2:Exorain

I didn't like WoW. I think runescape is better. I dont need graphics to think a game is good. (after all my favorite game is a snes game.)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ftw!

Anyway, on topic:

Personally, nearly all of my RL game playing friends play WoW, and actively talk about it in the real world, which is a tad annoying. They even mock that I play rs, perhaps the OP is on to something here. #-o

Follow me on Twitter!
FORGET NOT THE CHICKEN.
Posted Image

I have no intrest in helping "keyers" farm xp.

Dharockslayer
[ Display Name History ]

Dharockslayer

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
I have played Rs for a long time, I did indeed love the freedom it gave, you had the ability to go to the wilderniss to make some peoples lives miserable. Or you chose to level your skills. Then they took away all the fun bits, and now all you can do is grind away at skills in my opinion. If you like skilling and most of your friends play, sure, keep on playing.

I have been playing wow for about a month or two now, I do love the PvP element more. You can say all you want, but WoW's combat system is WAY more advanced than RS' has ever been. Surely there is no loot from your kill, but thats fine since that has always been that way in WoW.

I like the instances, something that really requires a group. I like the battlegrounds, you smack a spasming rogue down with your friends and tell me you don't like it :P . You can't train all skills at the same time, but you're busy with quests anyway. The way of training in WoW is to gain good experience from quests, the way you gain experience in Rs is to grind away at monsters, or you train slayer, which is simular to slay quests in WoW.

It takes too long to max on RS, you can say all you want, but if you train 5 years just to get all skills to 99, training the most efficient way and not having fun all the time, or you train a WoW character to 70 in three months, doing instances and battlegrounds along the way, doing quests instead of making the same thing over and over, you can safely say that WoW in that aspect is better.

Also, Blizzard hasn't managed to screw me over during my stay, which kind of feels good, considering all the beatings I got from Jagex.

I might never come back to RS, simply because I don't like what it has become. Sure WoW might become boring after another 4 months or so, but Im in college anyway so I'll have to manage time more on real life then on gaming.

To all the Runescape players, keep playing your game. To all the WoW players, keep playing yours. Have fun, criticize eachother every month or two. Runescape has its good sides, and WoW has its good sides. You can compare both games, but its clear that WoW completely blasts Runescape out of the water on its elements, and Runescape shoves WoW off a cliff with their good elements.
Posted Image
Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

Bloodveld
[ Display Name History ]

Bloodveld

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

I have played Rs for a long time, I did indeed love the freedom it gave, you had the ability to go to the wilderniss to make some peoples lives miserable. Or you chose to level your skills. Then they took away all the fun bits, and now all you can do is grind away at skills in my opinion. If you like skilling and most of your friends play, sure, keep on playing.

Unfortunately, that's why I probably won't ever come back. I quit (basically) because I was bored, and a month later they started their "kill all gold farmers" obsession that ruined some of the best parts of the game.

Also, Blizzard hasn't managed to screw me over during my stay, which kind of feels good, considering all the beatings I got from Jagex.

You haven't played long enough. :D

I may make another f2p account to try out the new graphics, but I probably won't. In rs's defense though, I'm not playing WoW currently either :P Once you hit 70, it can get very repetitive. I'm currently playing city of villains, which manages to make the grind actually fun, oddly enough. Laggier then WoW, though.
Posted ImagePosted Image
:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.
Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.
Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.
BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

SirHartlar
[ Display Name History ]

SirHartlar

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
I don't think it matters which is better, just play which enjoy and don't get caught up in fanboy arguments.

Myweponsg00d
[ Display Name History ]

Myweponsg00d

The Pittsburgh Pirate

• Members
  • 2,741 posts
I'd play WoW if I had friends who played it. You have to stick with a world once you pick one (unless you want to spend even more money for character transfer). So, its very likely that there just won't be any good people on your realm.

Questing and instance running get really old really fast. Wow could be fun if you have the time to learn about all of the really complicated features and terms and stuff...but I really don't care that much about an RPG. My specific gaming taste is more towards first person shooters and stealth games. I really really hate the complicated crit % stuff and all the millions of bonuses that are standard to most RPGs, including WoW. Runescape is simple with simple numbers representing your armor bonuses. Like I said if I had the time to learn this stuff about WoW, or if I had a good friend who would take me through to teach me the stuff without giving me some [bleep]ing attitude, I'd probably enjoy WoW more than RS.
Posted Image
Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

frogspoons
[ Display Name History ]

frogspoons

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
I tried wow, didn't like it. Back on runescape now.

CANE

Just to be different.

Think about it. A freaking Dragon Cane with a Dragonstone gem.
The spec will simply your character equiping a glove and beachslapping the enemy, who will break down and do the Cry emote for 10 seconds straight.

BoD
[ Display Name History ]

BoD

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • RSN:baiisofdeath
i played wow for a while after my rs account went to hell

all around it is a lot more fun imo and when you get to 70 there are a lot more things to do but after a month or two at 70 you discover it gets really, painfully repetitive. I haven't played WoW for 3 months now cause there is no solo play past 70 and looking back...spending 5 hours min in one sitting to raid is pretty ridiculous. But if you are looking for a game with a much more skill based combat system then WoW is definitely for you.
lost rights to my dark red text >:(
Posted Image
12/20/06 - QUEST CAPE OF ACHIEVEMENT
Barrows sets: guthan, verac, dharok, maybe ahrim eventually <- lost to a hacker whole stole everything of worth from my bank

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali
It's true.

Once you go WOW, you never go back...to WOW, cause damn that game is boring and unoriginal.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Zierro
[ Display Name History ]

Zierro

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
The only pros I can see in WOW is the flexible character creator and the diverse range of PVP feats/classes. WOW quests are the most repetitive quests I have ever witnessed in a video game, along with the skilling proficiencies (even worse than RS).

At least Runescape has some things that liven up skilling: Achievement Capes, Quest Requirements, the ability to train every single skill instead of the few you selected, and I guess some people like ranks so High Scores too. We also have some pretty original quests.

Like Highlanders said though, this is probably going to be the most biased thread you'll see in ages.

gremmy
[ Display Name History ]

gremmy

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • RSN:Gremmy
  • Clan:#pr0s, #dutch_pride

I would probably play WoW if my friends played it, and introduced me to it instead of RS. These new graphics are pretty nice now, tho.

I wouldn't play WoW, but if you want to, then go ahead.

Remember if you play WoW, it's only 65 million boars for level 70

You gain no experience if the mob (Creature) is 8 levels or more below you.

You obviously don't watch South Park :lol:.
Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)
Dagannoth kings drops: 73
Barrows item count: 51
GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)
Whips: 4
Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users