Summoning Shards Price

fenrir321

My question is why did Jagex put a pouch swap for shards in Gutanoth? By this point a lot of people will think I'm a noob. My question isn't about the swap system itself; I know very well why (to get rid of the hundreds of millions of pouches gathering dust never to see the light of day in a bank.) My question is why would jagex put a swap for SHARDS? I'd rather have cash instead of shards, and selling the shards is very tedious as they can't be sold on the Grand Exchange and doing so on the forums will be very slow since most people junk trade with shards. I also think that trading for cash is better because of these simple facts:

I bought 20,646 shards for 516,150 gp.

By adding all of the shards I get from the swap til .7^6 power, I have effectively used 59k+ shards. WHAT'S THE DEAL, JAGEX?! I just spent an average of 9gp per shard! Isn't that overpowered considering that the original price was 50 gp ea?

I'm just so confused at their action. On one hand exchanging for cash would basically put no supply of pouches/scrolls in the market. On the other hand I spent 500k for an amount of shards that would normally be 1.5 million gp with 2k shards left over for crafting miscellaneous familiars while still using the exact number of charms and secondaries as if I had just bought the 59k shards right off the bat.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

I'm going to use the Shards later on anyway. If I want money, I'll either alch the pouches or make scrolls and junk trade.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

Shards are a buyable resource, not one that can be extracted such as logs or fish. Take for example the cycle of making a bow. Producer cuts trees for logs, producer sells logs to consumer. Consumer makes bows from logs, consumer alchs bows for profit. In this case, both the producer and consumer make profit (At least that is how it was before).

Summoning can't really be classified as a producer/consumer related skill. Sure there are producers of secondary materials, but one of the main components can't be produced at a efficient rate, let alone at all. This is the only reason shard prices were halved, because it is a material that cannot be made, yet needs to be used to produce something.

Summoner collects charms and materials, and then buys the required shards. He then makes pouches. In a one way cycle, money exits the game, unlike the producer/consumer cycle where there is an even balance. I admit that alching ruins this kind of balance, but that is what money sinking skills are for.

The main point is, if you could exchange your pouches for money instead of shards, it would cause the same imbalance that alchemy does.

I think an easier way to explain why it's shards and not cash is because cash would be TOO good. I think many things in the game are good, but Jagex could have easily made it TOO good. Shards are useful, but isn't as amazing as cash for your worthless (most of them are, to me, at least) pouches.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

Maybe Jagex wanted another money sink?

that is unrealistic, alching the pouches is less expensive then making them, the swap would simply contribute to the recycling of the shards only. the $ would not be removed from the game at an equal level as it was pre-swap.

i understand you thinking, inevitably all shards, will disappear if they are not boughten further. But, the reality of swap shard exp VS alch shard exp is... i dont know a good word to say it but, its most like like someone speculated, to keep new players training it.

If you buy your pouches off the ge, you can get about 7 or so different familars when, after trading them in, can nab you cheap shards that will only be 21 each.

Wonder why pouch/scroll prices have been/are still being manually moved? It's to accommodate for the more junky fams. The lower the bottom price is (many familiars only nab you 22-25 each shard) the more likely the familiar, well, stinks. Swamp titan is a good example.

People know about this; it's very easy to sell at the minimum price for these particular familiars.

untitled8copyiu7.gif

that is unrealistic, alching the pouches is less expensive then making them, the swap would simply contribute to the recycling of the shards only. the $ would not be removed from the game at an equal level as it was pre-swap.

i understand you thinking, inevitably all shards, will disappear if they are not boughten further. But, the reality of swap shard exp VS alch shard exp is... i dont know a good word to say it but, its most like like someone speculated, to keep new players training it.

False fact is false.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Being a high level Summoner, I can relate to the reasons in which they did this. As many others have said if it was to cash out then that would make the skill to easy, and with swapping for shards it goes along with the theme of the skill more.

Also as lugia mentioned, I too will be using them at one point or another anyways, and being able to swap loads of pouches in at once for such large quantities of shards back at once not only saved me time (buy 50k at a time is hella slow) , it also saved me money with the prices they sell for in the exchange compared to the prices of the shards at 25 each you would get for the pouch.

Also there are plenty of ways of making gold pieces in this game as it is, and NONE of them include getting mass amounts of money at once by training a skill. Thats part of the reason construction and summoning are money heavy skills as there is so much more gold coming into the game per day then there is leaving it.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

False fact is false.

hm, yes i do see where my mistake was. I should have said, swaping them is less expensive then alching.

but that does not make swapping shards a "monkey sink"

it is simple really. they want players to train summoning more. if they gave out cash you would just feel sort of...done for the tine being. if they give out shards you feel the need to use those shards, therefor you train summoning more as it isd a hastle to get rid of the shards anyway

Y_Z.png

Its a much more cost effective way of getting shards. If you buy pouches and then swap you essentially get shards for about 22gp instead of buying the stores shards at 25 gp a piece.

Also if you get shards back it gives incentive to continue summoning but if you to get money back most people would just buy pouches and swap them which would cause a huge amount of gp to enter that game which would cause inflation of the gold most likely (Weird how the runescape economy acts like a regular one....)

Whatisup618.png

whatisup618.png

Proud Owner Of A Quest Cape As Of 4/29/08

Its a much more cost effective way of getting shards. If you buy pouches and then swap you essentially get shards for about 22gp instead of buying the stores shards at 25 gp a piece.

Also if you get shards back it gives incentive to continue summoning but if you to get money back most people would just buy pouches and swap them which would cause a huge amount of gp to enter that game which would cause inflation of the gold most likely (Weird how the runescape economy acts like a regular one....)

Half the pouches are impossible to buy.

Follow me on Twitter!

FORGET NOT THE CHICKEN.

gravy.png

I have no intrest in helping "keyers" farm xp.

People pointed out you needed hundreds of millions to get to 99 summoning due to shards.

People pointed out most pounches were useless in bulk.

Hmm Jagex needs to make something that people can do with their useless pouches and make summoning a bit cheaper to level, perhaps a place to trade pouches in for shards!!!!

It pure and simple shards bk means summoning costs plummet from hundreds of mil to maybe 100mil max and loads of useless pouches get out of system

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue