Old times were fun..but new?

Lord_Shalaj

Man it sure was fun when I had to mine my own smithing ores, and when cutting willows were a huge accomplishment, and it sure was exciting when I was finally able to enter the mining guild and gasped at the huge amount of coal all over the place."

- Junkmutt(rs player)

The title probably, gave you an inkling on what I'm going to talk about.

I'm asking you to take a simple test. Think back for a while, when you were a low leveled player, how it felt when you upgraded to Rune Scimitar?

Or when you pked your first kill?

Or when you got the message "You can now cut yew trees".

Now compare it to today.

What do you do if -

You get upgraded to use a GodSword?

You pk someone?

You raised a mining level so you can mine rune?

Yes, the answer you'll say is that you were equally happy. But, search inside you, and get that answer, and it will come involuntarily from your mouth - You definitely had more fun when you were a low leveled.

Everything was new, you kept discovering something. Now, its only a burden. We train to kill better at God Wars, to race our friends but not for personal satisfaction! I definitely felt happier when I reached 40 strength than when I reached 90. Maybe 99 will be a different story?

This is a game. It exists so that people may enjoy themselves. Once that is forgotten, it becomes nothing more than a chore for earning respect with people that you will probably never meet.

- A Local Guy (Rs player) - [i know you're bored of seeing your own quote everywhere :P ]

Exactly as his words. Probably a bit more.

Isn't this the reason we make secondary accounts? Just to get back some fun?

I had trained my account with so much fun, and had a main goal of completing Dragon Slayer. Each day, I enjoyed my work. The day I finished Dragon Slayer, I felt as the King of the World!

But today, even after completing hard quests that are far more rewarding than Dragon Slayer, after achieving levels far more better than 40 strength, , it fails to rekindle that old, smouldering flames of joy inside me, that once used to flare up quickly.

Yeah man... i feel just like you , i remember when i bought my full mithril and 2h at runescape classic... i felt so powerful. But then i got pked in wildy and lost it .

Thanks for reminding me of the good ol' times Shalaj ...

- Eki Boy

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

[99 Woodcutting] [99 Strength][99 Hitpoints]

30db3v5.jpg

"What will come, will come..

..We will have to face it when it does!"

Farming With Profit and VineSweeper Guide

A better method to slay Dagannoths!

PvP drops:

[hide=]1 x Vesta's Chainbody, 3 x Brawling gloves (Melee [1], Range [1], Magic [1])[/hide]

well i'm still happy with each level i "get" but i remember the old times:

spending ~2 hours on getting a rune scimitar in world 1 east of varrock bank. I was so happy when someone finally accepted my offer :D i immidiatley ran up the stairs south of the bank to the guards place and started killing them. man i was happy :D

now, when i get a rune scimmy drop, i sometimes pm 1 person and pick it up but i'm not extremely happy with it :(

man those good ol' times

I have no clue what you're talking about. The big checkpoints in the skills are always fun. Weither that be using a fishing rod instead of a net, to getting into the fishing guild, to fishing shark, to 99. The old times were fun, but so are the new with no real change killing a goblin, to killing a player, to killing the kbd, it's all just as rewarding (not physically.) I play for myself, so I dont please someone because I have never killed the kbd, or i'm viewed as a noob because i'm 10 lvls lower than that person. I just shake it off and say "meh, who gives a crap." You think I wear black armour around (yes I still do) to please anyone? To prove that I have an item they don't? Nope, I play for myself. So I dont have 91 rc, or 80 herblore. Anyway i'ma end this post now or i'll start repeating myself (if i'm not already)

It definitely was much more fun before than compared to now when it comes to different achievements. Back then everything was new and it felt as if the whole Runescape world was unexplored. I remember venturing in the wilderness for the first few times and it was really exciting and thrilling.

I don't get the same feeling today, because I have experience and there are many more players who have achieved whatever you have. Or it could've been because I was younger before and saw things from different angles.

Yeah, I admit RuneScape stops being fun after a certain point, but everyone plays for different reasons.

I play Runescape because I'm a competetive person with no dedication. And I like trying to beat people in levels.

Alot of people also play for friends. While they talk to their friends in Clanchat or something, they think "Oh I might as well train a skill too"

The big 99s are always good if they actually took work. I'm not talking like combat capes, cook or fletch though.

Maybe a Hilt drop today is what a Rune scimitar drop would have been ages ago feels like, but the game's always expanding. I get more excitement waiting for updates than getting drops like that.

Its because nothing specially really happens from level 60 until 99. There arent any new guilds to get into or high level only areas. GWD seems to be filled with mid-level players. We need special areas that we really need to work hard to get into 92+ guilds.

That aside however being in the wildy still fills me with fear. I was there last night with Suzi trying to do a clue scroll when we were ambushes by revenants. I has a good feeling of acomplishment when I completed the trail even though the reward wasnt that great.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Ye I miss the old times a lot. I used to love scouring world 2 and 6 and trying to get bargains for merchanting. I used to like getting enough money to buy barrows armour and a whip, however these days there is way to much money in the economy (a bit like Britain :P), and we have all these amazing new items now which cost huge amounts of money, and I know I'll never get anywhere close to getting these items.

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

ill feel happy enough when i get that fire cape >_<

4 tries 4 fails

2 hours each time to just misclick a prayer and hit my monitor

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

ill feel happy enough when i get that fire cape >_<

4 tries 4 fails

2 hours each time to just misclick a prayer and hit my monitor

I had worse luck at caves. I got two waves from jad (the 2 180s and the 1 360) They all spawned right infront of me in melee range, instant K.O.

I thought it was bad that run when I got to a 360 and I lagged and when I came out of it had two hp and no prayer (though prayer potions) Thanks to my fast acting I actually lived there.

I was definitely happier when I got 70 range than I was when i got 99. Hell even 95 was happier.

CANE

Just to be different.

Think about it. A freaking Dragon Cane with a Dragonstone gem.

The spec will simply your character equiping a glove and beachslapping the enemy, who will break down and do the Cry emote for 10 seconds straight.

Think back for a while, when you were a low leveled player, how it felt when you upgraded to Rune Scimitar?

LOL. I've started RS far bar enough to own a yo-yo and easter ring, but I only got enough to afford a Rune Scimitar a year or two ago. From being an air runner. I fail at RS :(

MSSW4TI.png

I'm not someone who lives in the past and remembers good times and thinks about how better it is than the present. The same goes for any video game I play. I live and play for now.

Congrats on another nostalgia post though.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

Its the same with anything really. For an example, take a roller coaster. The first time you ride it if gives you such a rush and an adrenline feeling. If you kept going on it again and again, you are not as excited or thrilled as the first time, althought it can still be fun.

Here with RuneScape, getting to explore and try new things are going to be fun. Of course, when you get to know everything and explored most of RuneScape, it isn't going to be the same as your first few steps out of Lumbridge. Although, there are many new milestones that really get people going such as Skillscapes, a very good drop or even just a nice few levels. I, myself, is over the moon thinking that this Wednesday I will be 99 Runecraft.

yeah, i still remember my first rune drop from lessers (rune med). i was like omfg!!!!!!!!! im am teh richest ever!@ to all my friends that were on

nowadays...its a different story. if i get something like d legs or a dharoks plate i usually pm a friend saying: lol i just got d legs, or something around those lines. man i would give anything to be a poor noob again :^o

Money_Wasted.png

yeah, i still remember my first rune drop from lessers (rune med). i was like omfg!!!!!!!!! im am teh richest ever!@ to all my friends that were on

nowadays...its a different story. if i get something like d legs or a dharoks plate i usually pm a friend saying: lol i just got d legs, or something around those lines. man i would give anything to be a poor noob again :^o

Ironic, since you CAN drop anything and everything to be poor again :lol:

I´m still having fun after 7 years of playing on and off again with hundreds of different characters all of them with different levels. And ofcourse I have yet to beat every single challenge in game ::'

268 Quest Points

What I'd find very interesting what be a "new Runescape"

Basically - exact same world/updates etc. as now. BUT - You can use your current account, but don't have those stats.. EVERYONE starts from scratch.

It'd be like how RSC is to RS2, just another version of RS2. There'd still be RS2 and i doubt too many people would play this version - but just a few servers (Make it members only maybe?). I think it'd be very interesting to play Runescape as it is today - but without all the millions of supplies already in the market. With the GE it'd be quite limiting - but that could be worked around.

If Jagex ever did such a thing - what anyone be interesed? Or only me?

Everyone loved the "old times" Where they were a noob and enjoyed the game by getting lost and doing random quests here and there. It is not jagex's fault it is just change the veterans dont like. Nostalgia sets in when a game changes dramatically. People love the old times and dont like the change because they loved the old times. If a RSC player played today, they generally would not like it as much but for new players it would seem fine but for them in afew years time they would have love the time when they played but the RSC player did not.

It is all cycles, It can't be helped

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

Its the same with anything really. For an example, take a roller coaster. The first time you ride it if gives you such a rush and an adrenline feeling. If you kept going on it again and again, you are not as excited or thrilled as the first time, althought it can still be fun.

Here with RuneScape, getting to explore and try new things are going to be fun. Of course, when you get to know everything and explored most of RuneScape, it isn't going to be the same as your first few steps out of Lumbridge. Although, there are many new milestones that really get people going such as Skillscapes, a very good drop or even just a nice few levels. I, myself, is over the moon thinking that this Wednesday I will be 99 Runecraft.

Lol magik i smell dejavu :P I remember you posting that a long time ago (the rollercoaster analogy)

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

I had quite fun trying to enter the new Godwars dungeon the other day. I wasn't even there to try to do the real thing. I merely had gotten a spiritual mage slayer task. I never had them before.

So I spend some time figuring out where it was. I went there with a rather general inventory...Forgot the rope. went back and forth.

Finally arrived again, climbed down...got slaughtered. I actually had 1 hp left!!! ecto'ed out.

Went back with more sharks. Then found out I was just being stupid. I should just move away from the center a bit into the right camp.

Now I could start with my 40 zamorak kills.

Didn't quite make it, because I had the wrong inventory. Tele'd out. Lost all my kills (argh!) Went back and started again.

Finally had my 40 kills and went further, quite anxiously because I didn't know what was waiting beyond the icy river.

Found a quite docile place though filled with zammies minions. I started slaying and it went really well...

and got my first dragon boot drop.

I discovered a new place, almost died, got a new valuable drop.

It's still fun.

What I'd find very interesting what be a "new Runescape"

Basically - exact same world/updates etc. as now. BUT - You can use your current account, but don't have those stats.. EVERYONE starts from scratch.

It'd be like how RSC is to RS2, just another version of RS2. There'd still be RS2 and i doubt too many people would play this version - but just a few servers (Make it members only maybe?). I think it'd be very interesting to play Runescape as it is today - but without all the millions of supplies already in the market. With the GE it'd be quite limiting - but that could be worked around.

If Jagex ever did such a thing - what anyone be interesed? Or only me?

I don't think i would give up my current account for this, but I would most definetly try it.

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.