Andylax38's 9 Lob Bursting/Barraging Guide

andylax38

Fighting familiars are really distracting when luring, i don't suggest them after expirementing (or in fact i used just terrorbird for energyrestoring and extra prayer pots) :P

But one thing i wonder.. why to lure those meleedagannoths to stuck when you can easily kill them too in your main bursting spot. It works for them as well and give you more xp per spell.

You can only attack 9 monsters at a time in Runescape, so trapping the dags allows you to hit all 9 lobs with each spell. If you brought the dags with you the spell would hit them rather then the lobs leaving 2-3 lobs left after the other 5-6 lobs and 2-3 dags are dead. Killing these last 2-3 lobs with more casts gives horrible exp and would be very ineffective to your bursting. Also the safe spot does not work for the dags (at least form what I've seen).

~>~Check Out My Bursting Guide~<~

Current goals - 99 Slayer, 99 Summoning, 85 Dungeoneering

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY NICE

I suggest not using font colors like white or yellow. You really can't read it.

Also when bursting, NEVER ever use prayer boosting armour!

A single cast of ice burst costs about as much as a p pot dose. If you ware less magic attack, you are actully loosing thousands. For ever failed cast, you lose alot of money.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I noticed that you don't factor in the drops you get when you calculated the cost per charm. In many of your trips you have over 100k of loot (10% of the cost of spells) so it would be more like 3.6k per charm, not 4k.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

I noticed that you don't factor in the drops you get when you calculated the cost per charm. In many of your trips you have over 100k of loot (10% of the cost of spells) so it would be more like 3.6k per charm, not 4k.

I felt the cost of p pots and the money gained from drops kinda balanced each other out so I decided to leave them out of the calculations. Might go back and add them in sometime to see if it really changes anything but i doubt it will have a significant effect on the data.

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

Glad to see someone else posted a guide so I don't have to re-post my guide that got taken down with the TIF rollback.

Good guide, and good luck with all of the negative feedback to come.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

As you may, or may not... :oops: know, I run tips summoning guide... I was wondering if I could link your guide, as I havn't written a rock lobster guide yet, and don't think I will be any time soon. Alpha's guide got deleted, so I need a new one.

Thanks.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

As you may, or may not... :oops: know, I run tips summoning guide... I was wondering if I could link your guide, as I havn't written a rock lobster guide yet, and don't think I will be any time soon. Alpha's guide got deleted, so I need a new one.

Thanks.

Go right ahead, btw I've seen your guide and its very good :)

Thanks man, this was all I needed for my first trip of bursting. 10/10

A few hints (might have been said already):

Dont bring a combat familiar. It only messes up lures. Terror birds too!

Use pools before you go

Bring a holy wrench

Verac/proselyte can be pretty handy

If you are really cheap, use a waterstaff and manually cast

For luring the first three, I'd suggest running till the last one (next to ladder) and then WALKING back to your safespot. Then turn on run again, and go round the corner. This way, you save a bit of run energy, and not much (if not none) time. Cause sometimes you need to wait for the lobs or else they get stuck around the corner.

One question too: Do you have any problems on lobs becoming unagressive, or not really following? How far should I run to make them agressive again?

Thanks

One question too: Do you have any problems on lobs becoming unagressive, or not really following? How far should I run to make them agressive again?

Thanks

Thanks for the tips I appreciate it, as for the lobs becoming unaggressive I have noticed this happening occasionally but generally it's only every other trip or so. When it happens I will just run up the ladder and go back past the melee dags there then come back down the ladder and they should be agro again.

Here you go, Andy, as promised :D

(Trip 1)

1,332 Ice Barrage Casts (69264 XP)

89 Blood Barrage Casts (4539 XP)

+169,635 HP XP

+243,509 Magic XP (Not counting the subtraction of the XP gained from casting.)

+127,340 Defense XP

Now if I had casted on full magic (which doesn't make sense for me, since I am 99 magic but not 99 defense) I would have gained 370,849 magic XP. With Ice Barrages costing 1,800 each, and Blood Barrages costing 2,598 each, that's a total of 2,628,822 GP for 370,849 magic XP, which works out to ~7.09 GP/XP.

Keep in mind though that I am 99 magic, so the GP/XP figure will be a little bit higher. That also is not counting all the charms you will be getting :P

I got

432 Crimsons

119 Green

14 Blue

276 Greens

for a total of 324 Crims/1k Barrages. This is not a *great* value and I hope it will improve over time. I also hope I can get more casts in per trip, as this was my first serious attempt at luring all 9 lobsters. I think I'll be able to stay for longer next time, as I ran out of prayer potions and thus had to teleport. I'm going to be bringing proselyte top for luring which I believe will help out greatly. I'll report back with more figures later!

117/126 F2P Combat ~~~~~ 129/138 P2P Combat

92/99 Attack | 96/99 Range

94/99 Strength | 88/99 Prayer

92/99 Defense | 99/99 Magic

88/99 Summoning

Here you go, Andy, as promised :D

(Trip 1)

1,332 Ice Barrage Casts (69264 XP)

89 Blood Barrage Casts (4539 XP)

+169,635 HP XP

+243,509 Magic XP (Not counting the subtraction of the XP gained from casting.)

+127,340 Defense XP

Now if I had casted on full magic (which doesn't make sense for me, since I am 99 magic but not 99 defense) I would have gained 370,849 magic XP. With Ice Barrages costing 1,800 each, and Blood Barrages costing 2,598 each, that's a total of 2,628,822 GP for 370,849 magic XP, which works out to ~7.09 GP/XP.

Keep in mind though that I am 99 magic, so the GP/XP figure will be a little bit higher. That also is not counting all the charms you will be getting :P

I got

432 Crimsons

119 Green

14 Blue

276 Greens

for a total of 324 Crims/1k Barrages. This is not a *great* value and I hope it will improve over time. I also hope I can get more casts in per trip, as this was my first serious attempt at luring all 9 lobsters. I think I'll be able to stay for longer next time, as I ran out of prayer potions and thus had to teleport. I'm going to be bringing proselyte top for luring which I believe will help out greatly. I'll report back with more figures later!

Awesome thanks man been waiting on this data, I'll start working on a barraging section soon charms per 1k casts that you got seems pretty good, I've never barraged so I guess I wouldn't know. Thanks again

I'm doing some more barraging as we speak so I'll have better numbers in terms of charms/1k casts. I think this round I'm doing better in terms of numbers and I'll be able to stay longer ;)

88/99 Summoning

have you ever thought of using battle robes?

dont know if it would work or fail horribly.

but just a thought.

I've heard of them being used but it's not worth the time you've spent at FoG.

You also have to switch into some other armor while luring or else they will degrade WAY too fast.

Here's some more numbers for you, Andy.

~2100 Ice Barrages (only off by 50 at most)

125 Blood Barrages

772 Crimson Charms

374 Gold Charms

174 Green Charms

24 Blue Charms

So, per 1k casts (Ice & Blood) : 347 Crimsons, 168 Golds, 78 Greens, 10 Blues.

This is better than my last data set. :D

I also effed up this trip by bringing 12k water runes, instead of 18k, so next trip should be closer to 3k casts.

I also had another trip between this one and the first one, but it was cut short by RoL, so I didn't count it (only had about 100 crimsons)

EDIT : I hate kids like this :(

080905182055jh5.png

88/99 Summoning

080907121451am8.png

90 Blood Barrages, 2724 Ice Barrages.

166 Golds, 331 Crimsons, 70 Greens, 15 Blues per 1k Barrages.

Also from a RoL'ed trip :

319 Ice Barrages, 15 Blood Barrages.

174 Crimsons, 68 Golds, 20 Greens, 6 Blue

88/99 Summoning

lol keep it coming man, I'll get around to adding it to the guide at some point just kind of busy at the moment. Appreciate the data though.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished a really long bursting trip and I'd like to add my share of hints and tips.

Conserving energy

First of all, don't bring too much prayer gear. I'm already using only 3-5 prayer per lure, and with 12 ppots, I can last 4k casts. That's more than enough for me.

If you really want to bring something, bring a verac skirt. Verac skirt + ahrim top is better defence, lighter, and only 1 prayer less than Verac brassard + ahrim bottom. My weight at the start of a trip is 22kg

Wear boots of lightness. You only loose 5 magic attack compared to infinity boots, AND you risk 800k less.

Now the most important ones. WALK IF YOU CAN.

There's two occasions where you should walk (assuming you use the safe spot at the bend).

1) I'm starting when you have just gathered your charms. You RUN to the lobster at the ladder, then you RUN to the bend (click on minimap), and once there's a distance between you and the three lobs, start WALKING. During this whole process, wear your verac skirt, and dont protect. Once you are at the bend, turn on protection, and start running to lobster 8 and 9. Doing this will waste very little time, because if running all the time, you have to wait for the lobsters at the bend, cause if you're too fast, they will get trapped.

2) Right after you're in the "Dagannoth trap", as soon as there's a distance between you and the rock lobsters, TURN OFF protect melee, and TURN OFF RUN. Walk to the bend, and sidestep at the right time. Doing this won't waste ANY time, cause you have to wait for the lobsters anyway (if you run).

By using these 2 "tricks", with 22kg, I NEVER have energy problems, and yet, I'm not losing time by unnecessary walking.

Be easy on the clicks. Clicking a location several times will cause your character to run back and forth. Learn to know where to click on the minimap (the dag trap for instance is really easy on the minimap), and only click when necessary.

Conserving prayer/water runes

Bring a holy wrench.

Bring a verac skirt.

Don't pray at the first three lobs you lure.

Stop praying right after the Dagannoth trap, and when there's a distance between you and the lobsters.

Bring a water staff. You loose +5 magic, but you save 60 gp per cast (and gain +1 prayer). It's also easy for lobster bashing, when there's a DK team.

Some data

With 102 mage bonus, weighting 22kg, using the above "tricks", at 96 magic, assuming no distractions (dags, ...).

Each lure (starting from when you start running to the ladder, ending when you your first burst hits) should only take 40 seconds. (38 seconds if you are really good)

A full cycle should take under 2 minutes. There's quite a bit of variety in it cause sometimes a tank lobsters lives very long. If you're lucky, you can finish a round in under 1 min 50 sec. I end up with the same, or even more energy, as before.

A cycle takes 17-20 casts. (no idea on actual average)

A lure takes 3-5 prayer points (wearing fury, zammy book and verac skirt as prayer boosters)

In a trip of 3996 casts of bursts, I got (also see picture).

1081 crimsons

578 golds

282 greens

28 blues

In that trip, I used 11.75 prayer pots (4)

Of these 3996 casts, 136 were blood bursts.

Picture of me leaving after a looong trip.

rocklobstertrip16praypoac7.jpg

w754.png

Hope this helps,

Bedman

• 1 month later...
how long did each trip take?

+1

For me, i'm interested in how long 1k casts takes, and 4k casts takes.

Owned_Nex.png

I have also used the energy saving tips that Bedman suggested for a long time.

For prayer, I started out bringing Proselyte Platebody and Monk Robe Bottom. However, I now bring Proselyte Platebody and a God Mitre. This is because I have more magic defence with this when luring, yet I have the same prayer bonus and weight. Less damage taken... and I have 31 kg weight. Maybe thats a little much for someone under 70 agility but it works for me.

I use most of the prayer saving tips Bedman uses too. But I don't do the boots of lightness or the water staff. You sacrifice 10 mage bonus and save 60 gp per cast. That 10 mage bonus could help you hit a lot more bursts. It also makes it a lot easier and a lot less click intensive... and you have a lot higher chance to yellow click by accident or accidently attack with staff when using water staff. 9 lobs on you all hitting a max of 11 at the speed of darts = very very dangerous. Ancient staff is probably more efficient and a lot safer.

If you have a space, from best to worst is what to pick up:

Ranarr, Kwaurm, Uncut Diamond, Dwarf Weed, Water Talisman, Fire Talisman, Earth Talisman.

I'm not exactly sure -- I'm trying to remember prices off the top of my head which is kinda fail. Uncut ruby might be in there somewhere. Of course if you get a dspear or a left half or a key half... take em.

Nice guide though I must say.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Is a terrorbird effective here?

With its 12 storage capacity and it's special that allows you t regain energy, I expect this to be very useful.

Owned_Nex.png

Is a terrorbird effective here?

With its 12 storage capacity and it's special that allows you t regain energy, I expect this to be very useful.

Well, the problem is that he interupts your luring, cause he attacks those lobsters. This way, lobsters won't always follow you, or run out of their safespot while bursting. I wouldn't advice to bring one. If anything, bring a bunyip at the start, so you save some bloods, but even that...

I see.

When that happens to me, I just spam the "call familiar" button. I wait for him to get stuck. Works for me anyways.

Owned_Nex.png