Today...

Leoo

Last I checked his blog was nothing but forged immigration documents

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Step 2

Use magic paper and get automatically 9001 coding 1337 skillz

Step 3

???

Step 4

Profit

On a different topic, finally days off. From tomorrow, that is. My best mate is coming over and we'll be doing an epic road trip. Booya!

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

So the temporary job from the internship has turned into a possible part-time job. They're willing to match Staples.

This is interesting. The hours would be a lot better (9 am to 5 pm w/ breaks for classes), I'd get weekends off, I wouldn't have to wear that uniform, I wouldn't have to worry about gimmicks and quotas and sales targets (e.g., protection plans, screen protectors, screen cleanings, etc).

But I'm just not sure...

ozXHe7P.png

What are you not sure about? Seems like better all around, plus it probably looks better on your resume if you want to get into software development as a career...

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

My guess is that probably you would be happier there, but you should go for whatever you feel will be best for you in the end. Maybe it would be possible to try it out for a while without a permanent commitment?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Assuming everything pans out, I'll be working at the internship-now-turned-job Monday through Thursday, 8 am through 5 pm (excluding classes, ~16 hours or so at school thus ~20 hours or so at the internship) and working at Staples on Sundays and on call as necessary. Hours are flexible at the internship-turned-job which is great.

I think this works out. Also got an Amazon gift card for the temp gig which was awesome. I'm buying these.

The FSE liked the website, no changes necessary. Going to implement the last few features and document the deployment steps (so a regular old IT person could deploy it in the future). They have to talk to MIS (the IT people) about a subdomain otherwise we'll have to do that separately. It's hosted on Amazon Lightsail so it should only have like $60/year running costs.

Met with my new instructors and some of my old ones as well. Apparently the internship let them know I did well which was cool.

Unfortunately I had a really depressive episode in the morning but the good events of the day lifted my spirits so that's nice.

Life is good, now only if my brain could agree!

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Enter Shikari "Sorry you're not a winner" on repeat.

It's 2007 and I'm not about to print a 997 page data summary document that I have to verify line by line to create a graph depicting the possible increase in certain form filing.

lol what did you really use the price checker screen to trade items

How do you code something so badly that two different interfaces can somehow interact?!

Jagex has some special talent there.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Wow, that's terrible.

I mean I thought I over-engineered the item management stuff in my game but there's literally no way bugs like that could ever be introduced. By design, it's pessimistic so logic errors result in failed transactions or runtime errors (depending on severity), not duped or invalid item transfers.

The interfaces are also segregated; each interface has its own state and can't interact with other interfaces outside of a message system.

I suppose there's a reason my game has taken me 5 months to begin /on the first dungeon/...

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

I mean, I'm sure if you bring in a jimmy after 10 years of development on your system, they'd be able to break it unintentionally. No code, no matter how robust, is permanently safe no matter what changes are made to it. And QA isn't going to catch the bug Ring described, most likely.

I'm kind of curious whether it would be possible for someone who got scammed out of a phat by that glitch to sue Jagex. Jagex would say it has no real world value, but it absolutely does, so I wonder how a court would handle that.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I mean, I'm sure if you bring in a jimmy after 10 years of development on your system, they'd be able to break it unintentionally. No code, no matter how robust, is permanently safe no matter what changes are made to it. And QA isn't going to catch the bug Ring described, most likely.

I'm kind of curious whether it would be possible for someone who got scammed out of a phat by that glitch to sue Jagex. Jagex would say it has no real world value, but it absolutely does, so I wonder how a court would handle that.

yeah it definitely has real world value... though in terms of literal monetary real world value, that'd only apply if you were planning to RWT which is against the rules. I think somewhere in the RS terms in conditions it basically says you're "renting" all your items from jagex and they ultimately possess them. so you'd prob be shit out of luck D:

77yLQy8.png

@ring didnt you used to have the Take to The Skies album art as your signature or was that someone else?

Yeah most QA would have a hard time catching runescape glitches

Its basically noticing weird effects in areas and waiting for a new bug to come out to abuse them

Such as in osrs and rs3 right now if you try to log out in gnomeball it wont let you. Weird right? well if you close your client and reopen you notice you teleport outside. Interesting effect. Maybe combined with another bug or several it would be useful.

Also thats why i stopped bug abusing, it was way too much effort for what you got back from it. Even with arena glitches its still worse than minimum wage. Not to mention how socially isolating and obsessive the nature of trying to make money like that becomes. 

Plus being around that community I personally lived through things that could be black mirror episodes in like 2010/2011 when RATs were known among script kiddies but not the world at large

Something tells me you would have enjoyed that glitch the other month that made people who were PKed drop max cash stacks...although the game was shut down and rolled back fairly soon afterwards, so there wouldn't have been much opportunity.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

yeah the bug I got banned for abusing back in 2007 was called a "forced teleport" IIRC. you and two friends would go to the duel arena and get ready to duel. if you timed things correctly, you'd throw a gnomeball to one person as they're accepting/entering the duel. one person would catch the gnome ball and remain outside the arena while the other person would be sent into the "duel" alone. then, when the person inside the arena exited the duel, both people would be forced back to the duel arena, no matter where they were, because the game thought both players were in the duel arena match.

so basically while one person sat in the duel alone, 5 of us got together in barbarian assault and kept pulling the lever for free blood/death runes back when they were 600/300ea respectively. I just wanted to hoard a bunch of runes for myself so I could "retire" and play CW all day with ice barrage since that shit was fun, yet expensive. sadly we only did the trick once one night, and only got about 2M worth of blood runes out of it. got perm banned later that week. was my first and only offense lol

77yLQy8.png

So young and naive I was to think that Runescape was a well constructed game

• Like 1

So young and naive I was to think that Runescape was a well constructed game

to be fair, my friends and I knew that the bug existed for weeks and we tried figuring out how it worked. we visited this one bug abuse forum trying to find hints but to no avail. eventually the bug forum released a public guide on how to abuse the bug. which, in hindsight, was really stupid for us to follow at that point since Jagex obviously would've seen it too and been on the lookout for people abusing it.

in other words, the game always worked fine for me except for obvious bugs like all the ones tied to construction when that came out. i never discovered any bugs on my own; I was just good at scouring different forums and finding guides before mods removed them. so the average person would probably never discover any major bugs like that on accident

forced teleports were and still are a thing, your method is absolutely hilarious

I got a funny forced teleport/barb assault story too

The most hilarious forced teleport I had was using veldaban npc from king of the dwarves quest. You enter a cutscene and he disappears and you resummon him when ready. We used this to get sled out of trollheim. Took sled to barb assault this sled animation was an infinite stall keeping the barb assault game going on forever, while whoever is using the forced teleport would drink from a calquat keg at the same tick as starting a game, this prevents you from entering and the sled animation prevents it from ending. You then commit suicide to leave the barb assault mini game. Which most forced deaths were already patched by then so that was another bug. Turns out they forgot about quicklime. And then your free to go anywhere and force teleport back when your buddy animating stops.

By this point forced teleports were useless on their own for most things, you needed to combine it with a flood to get game breaking bugs. But thats what i mean by how convoluted the whole process got. It took 10 different bugs to do anything and any one patch in the chain makes everything else even harder.

That said you could still smuggle dungeoneering items at that point with a forced teleport (but you needed a forced banking method to deposit them), you could still do invisible pking in minigames but not wilderness, etc. 

yeah pretty much... the bugs were so complicated and outside-the-box that I can't really blame Jagex too much for not catching them. after all, my friends and I weren't able to discover anything major on our own. but then again, I also know absolutely nothing about programming so maybe they just set themselves up for it with poor coding or some shit (shrug).

did you discover that shit on your own or did you have other people teach you how to connect the dots?

77yLQy8.png

I remember there was a bug with some new staff that allowed you to kill non-attackable NPCs. So me and a couple of people from the codguy cc went around killing bankers etc. No clue how that bug was even possible lol