Olympics 2008

mrpez

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sprinting in the Olympics is the equivalent to the Superbowl to the Jamaicans. This is their national sport. Around 40 of their ~50 athletes in the games are sprinters.

When a team stops playing because a tackle's been made 45 seconds to the end of the game and there's no timeouts, does anyone complain then because they've not given their all? Surely that's disrespect to your opponents, who want to get on with playing, following jack's logic.

When a team wins the Superbowl, and they start celebrating, is that 'rubbing it in' to your opponents?

Of course neither of those is true. To think otherwise is just cretinous.

Does anyone else believe that some things shouldn't be Olympic sports? I for one think the major sports (basketball, tennis, baseball, soccer) should not be in the games. I just always believed that we should remain traditional to the original games in Athens and stick to a track stadium.

Besides, the bigger games already have tournaments every year to decide who the best are. The track really don't have such a thing.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

I've heard on the news they've considered taking out baseball and softball from the Olympics.

As for Bolt's run, people are actually finding ways to moan about his performance in the 200m. After the race he went around celebrating, did some little dance, and said "I am #1" to a TV camera. Now the IOC is saying they don't appreciate him being cocky and that he should have gone to each competitor and given em a handshake or a hug. They seemed to overlook the part where the american sprinter and that other dude who got disqualified (Martina I think) came and had a group hug with Bolt. They're just trying to find ways to make Bolt more controversial. When you train that hard for every day, practicing for hours on end, monitering your health and constantly trying to get better, I think you deserve to celebrate a little bit. Especially if you've made your entire country proud by being the fastest man in the world.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I've heard on the news they've considered taking out baseball and softball from the Olympics.

As for Bolt's run, people are actually finding ways to moan about his performance in the 200m. After the race he went around celebrating, did some little dance, and said "I am #1" to a TV camera. Now the IOC is saying they don't appreciate him being cocky and that he should have gone to each competitor and given em a handshake or a hug. They seemed to overlook the part where the american sprinter and that other dude who got disqualified (Martina I think) came and had a group hug with Bolt. They're just trying to find ways to make Bolt more controversial. When you train that hard for every day, practicing for hours on end, monitering your health and constantly trying to get better, I think you deserve to celebrate a little bit. Especially if you've made your entire country proud by being the fastest man in the world.

Softball isn't going to be in the next olympics and thank god for that haha. I sat through most of the Australia V Japan match because I was waiting for the basketball and damn it was incredibly boring -.-

kirby-sig.gif

I went on a mini-rant about how America complains only when they lose.Watch the Apprentice.We're best friends when we win,but I'll shoot your [wagon] in the Board Room when we lose.You never said anything about how underage the gymnast looked during the prelims,or all the way until after the result,eh?

That said,I can't wait for Winter Olympics,mainly for ice hockey.Much more understandable than normal hockey.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

this is the medal count link (which will now be found in the first post): http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals

this is the article link (read this! it is pretty interesting): http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... oly,101537

That article is incredibly immature, baised and twisted, to be honest.

Plus that's about the only medals table I've seen which puts number of medals above gold medals won. In every other medals table, even without the events where judges are involved, China is still beating the US.

It just reeks of sour grapes. Can't you guys just enjoy the sport on show instead of whining because you don't get Gold whenever China beats you?

I'm sorry, but it's hard to enjoy something, when it feel the US has been robbed.

I agree with the new olympic direction set out by the IOC that olympic sports should be exciting, interesting and compelling for young people to encourage them to take part.Thats why where seeing a lot more sports associated with young people and sports that werent around a century ago like BMX.Also yeah baseball and softball were dropped as a sport before london was confirmed as the hosts of 2012.Oh and i was watching the BMX sprint at about 6am in the morning and it was so thrilling, especially when britains gold medal hopeful crashed out and took a chunk out of her arm.

And the hate over usain bolts celebration for 200m, i thought it was funny but what i thought was the american athelete who got DQed and almost threw the american flag on the floor...that would have been pretty shocking and bad etiquette at an international event which is in essnece all about being patriotic and representing your country well.

tifsdac6mc.gif

Eat it China. Beach volleyball is ours.

LOL, I was so happy when they little scheme didn't work out. I mean how are you going to just fake an injury and then be okay afterwards...the Chinese are sad.

She did that in one of the prelims too if I'm not mistaken... grabbing her stomach, complaining about the pain, then suddenly jumping back in the action.

About the medal count... The winning country of the olympics is determined by number of medals total right? Or number of golds?

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Whether or not China's gymnasts were underage or not, the United States was easily hamstringed out of gold medals in multiple events. Anyone remember the figure skating scandal in Salt Lake City? 2002 Olympics

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm sorry, but it's hard to enjoy something, when it feel the US has been robbed.

Robbed? What is with this fixation of yours that the US has to come out on top in everything?

A silver medal is a fantastic result for any other country.

About the medal count... The winning country of the olympics is determined by number of medals total right? Or number of golds?

There is no official medals table, as the point is to find the greatest Olympian in each sport, not country overall. However, most judge it by the number of gold medals won, then silvers, then bronze.

Bolt just broke the 200 record. And this time he actually gave effort. That was sure a hell of a run.

Yeah you're right, since he failed to run for 5m he really didn't give effort the whole race. :roll: Get over yourself and stop being such a misanthrope. Get a hobby and stop finding every little thing to complain about.

well, the finish is the most important part.

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

Does anyone else believe that some things shouldn't be Olympic sports? I for one think the major sports (basketball, tennis, baseball, soccer) should not be in the games. I just always believed that we should remain traditional to the original games in Athens and stick to a track stadium.

Besides, the bigger games already have tournaments every year to decide who the best are. The track really don't have such a thing.

I concur. Although maybe not only the original Athens games in a track stadium. Things like synchronized diving should stay, shooting, stuff like that. But I felt sort of...odd when I saw Dwayne Wade and all of those guys marching in the opening ceremony. That's just not right.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

im glad baseball and softball are being removed. baseball has to be the most boring sport on earth to watch, rivaled only by golf.

baseball/softball is only an outlet pushed in by america to allow them to win ~20 golds in just one sport. some accounts on the story maintain that removing baseball was a way for the european members of the IOC to stick it to america. one report on yahoo! went as far as saying baseball was removed as payback for bush and iraq, which isnt very far-fetched.

ive been busy and havent updated the total medals link, but ill do that now.

here is a story about baseball/softball being removed from the olympics after 2008: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... pped_x.htm

baseball/softball is only an outlet pushed in by america to allow them to win ~20 golds in just one sport. some accounts on the story maintain that removing baseball was a way for the european members of the IOC to stick it to america. one report on yahoo! went as far as saying baseball was removed as payback for bush and iraq, which isnt very far-fetched.

We're not really that good in baseball. They might be trying to punish cuba.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

To everyone who still claims China is "innocent."

IOC asks for investigation of Chinas gymnasts

By NANCY ARMOUR, AP National Writer 53 minutes ago

BEIJING (AP)The International Olympic Committee said Friday it had asked gymnastics officials to investigate whether the Chinese womens gymnastics team that won the gold medal had underage athletes, saying more information has come to light.

Weve asked the gymnastics federation to look into it further, IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. If there is a question mark and we have a concern, which we do, we ask the governing body of any sport to look into it.

The IOC, which also asked the Chinese gymnastics federation to investigate, would not give details on what new information prompted it to act now, three days after the gymnastics competition ended.

Messages for the International Gymnastics Federation were not immediately returned.

Chinese coach Lu Shanzhen told The Associated Press they gave the FIG new documents on Thursday to try to remove the doubts about He Kexins age, including an old passport, a residency card and her current ID card.

He said all these documents were issued by various departments of the Chinese government and that he felt there was nothing more that they could do to put peoples minds at ease.

ADVERTISEMENT

click here

The FIG has said repeatedly that a passport is the accepted proof of a gymnasts eligibility, and that Chinas gymnasts have presented ones that show they are age eligible. The IOC also checked the girls passports and deemed them valid.

A gymnast must be 16 in an Olympic year to compete at the games. But questions about the ages of at least three of the athletes have persisted. Online records and media reports suggest three Chinese gymnastsHe, Jiang Yuyuan and Yang Yilinmay be as young as 14.

The IOC had said previously that it had verified the passports of all athletes competing at the games.

We are not in a position to say Its good, its not good. Its a government document, FIG president Bruno Grandi said earlier this week in an interview with The Associated Press.

The Chinese women won six medals, including the team gold and a gold on uneven bars by He. The media reports include a Nov. 3 story by the Chinese governments news agency, Xinhuathat suggest He is only 14. She was asked about her age again after winning the uneven bars title, beating American Nastia Liukin in a tiebreak.

I was born in 1992 and Im 16 years old now, He said Monday. The FIG has proved that. If Im under 16, I couldnt have been competing here.

Earlier this month, the AP found registration lists previously posted on the Web site of the General Administration of Sport of China that showed both He and Yang were too young to compete. He was born Jan. 1, 1994, according to the 2005, 2006 and 2007 registration lists. Yang was born Aug. 26, 1993, according to the 2004, 2005 and 2006 registration lists; in the 2007 registration list, however, her birthday has changed to Aug. 26, 1992.

If the FIG would find evidence supporting the questions that the gymnasts are underage, it could affect four of Chinas medals. In addition to the team gold and Hes gold on bars, Yang won bronzes in the all-around and uneven bars.

We played fair at this Olympic Games, Liukins father and coach, Valeri, said after they arrived back in the United States. If somebody cheated, shame on them.

Added Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics, USA Gymnastics has always believed this issue needed to be addressed by the FIG and IOC. An investigation would help bring closure to the issue and remove any cloud of speculation from this competition.

Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries. The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997.

North Korea was barred from the 1993 world championships after FIG officials discovered that Kim Gwang Suk, the gold medalist on uneven bars in 1991, was listed as 15 for three years in a row. Romania admitted in 2002 that several gymnasts ages had been falsified, including Olympic medalists Gina Gogean and Alexandra Marinescu.

Even Chinas own Yang Yun, a double bronze medalist in Sydney, said during an interview aired on state broadcaster China Central Television that she was 14 in 2000.

Associated Press writer John Leicester and AP sports writer Steve Wilson contributed to this report.