The RS Stereotype

Skully

Btw, have any of you ever considered that if everyone who played this game really did have no life, we'd all be zombies, meandering clumsily down the streets moaning "Braaaains! Braaaaaains! I want braaaaaaains to finish Creature of Fenkenstraaain!"

Hahahahahahaha! :lol:

Oh, and KillThomas, the fact that you're unable to cope with your friends poking fun at you is a sure sign of insecurity (read: lack of confidence).

My friends, including my girlfriend, make fun of me for playing Runescape. My friends who play WoW make fun of the graphics of course, to which I politely reply "I have plenty of fun without taking up all of the memory on my laptop." When my girlfriend makes fun of me by calling me a nerd, she's just being a smartass. <3:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my mates were discussing this in class the other day. I did not once say I player it however, and insisted a quit two weeks ago :-#

Anyway, we didn't really come to a conclusion, but we sort of agreed that RuneScape is stereotyped because of its mass popularity. If there were only a million players, or less, then everyone would snub there noses to it and think it is another game. If you hear the words, "Online Game" or "Role Playing Game", most people come to RuneScape because of its popularity.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I reckon its because when we are/were kids we all weren't scared of saying anything but now that most of us have grown up we have other people judging us and because of that we dont like to mention games like Runescape. Also most people who are left with runescape are people who still ENJOY it, The rest have either quit because of 3 reasons:

>> Miniclip stopped putting Runescape at No.1

>> The RWT thing that had people going beserk(sp?)

>> Friends quit, so they quit

I think if runescape were to be shown once again in any famous game website, i think most people would change their minds?

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if

^^^^read backwards^^^^

anish00b.png

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=757562&p=6009903

^^^^The Best Melee Training Spot In The Game^^^^

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=786213

^^^^The new Bandits^^^^

even i have the misfile craze!!!

I think if runescape were to be shown once again in any famous game website, i think most people would change their minds?

True. But if you advertised on a famous game site, then it will attract the younger, immature players, which JAGeX is trying to avoid.

EDIT: Posted. Pfft. I meant advertised.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

True. But if you advertised on a famous game site, then it will attract the younger, immature players, which JAGeX is trying to avoid.

EDIT: Posted. Pfft. I meant advertised.

Yes, but it would let the "runescape is for Nerds/geeks/emo's/etc etc" sterotype to be gone...i guess you gotta Lose some to Win some

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if

^^^^read backwards^^^^

anish00b.png

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=757562&p=6009903

^^^^The Best Melee Training Spot In The Game^^^^

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=786213

^^^^The new Bandits^^^^

even i have the misfile craze!!!

Yes, but it would let the "runescape is for Nerds/geeks/emo's/etc etc" sterotype to be gone...i guess you gotta Lose some to Win some

True.

ojdv.jpg

True.

Live with immature players ruining your game to have people think better of the game you play? I'd rather have my game and not talk about rs ::'

Well RS certainly does not hold much water in the general gamer community. On nearly all gaming forums I have browsed all RS topics are criticized very harshly. I have not played RS in a long time so maybe times have changed, but i quit because most of the players that I encountered (And many on this site as well) have this elitist attitude that is based solely on their own ignorance about MMO's. A big reason why RS isnt as good as other MMO's out there is because of the lack of skill required, anyone can get a skill to 99 with enough clicks.....

That is my stereotype against RS and since this is a topic about RUNESCAPE stereotypes im fully within my jurisdiction to say this ;)

coolio0wjos1.jpg

My WoW character, gnome warlock Saldomar

Uhh, I prefer to hide the fact I play RuneScape. Although I think most people at my school know I play. #-o

As soon as I say RuneScape, they start blabbing about how another MMO is better then it, or how I'm a nerd.

I'm no nerd. I just like customizing a cluster of pixels.

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

Runescape is being advertised on at LEAST 2 other sites other than Miniclip, Funny-Games.biz and Kongregate, more breeds of players coming in :ohnoes:

Oh, and KillThomas, the fact that you're unable to cope with your friends poking fun at you is a sure sign of insecurity (read: lack of confidence).

Again you're assuming too much. I don't recall saying I would be un able to cope with it. But let me ask you this. Would you rather announce to people that you play runescape, and have your friends poke fun at you, or would you rather just not tell anybody, and not have your friends poke fun at you? The answer seems blatently obvious to me.

Lol, last week, I went to a gathering with my friend. He was trying to hook me up with this one girl. Turns out she has a son who is 13. We are all outside (10 of us) and her son comes up to me and says, "You got a Level 109?" Everyone looks at me. I'm thinking, "Oh god...not now." So I'm like, "116 actually. I don't play on Free Servers." Everyone is like, WTF is he talking about. Next thing I know, I'm into a full blown discussion about Runescape with her son. Turns out, my friend's girlfriend plays Runescape too. She had asked for my help and I was messing around on a Free Server, trying to help her get started in the game again. She told the girl's son. Turns out 2 other people there also play. And, because of the connection with her son, well let's just say...I got a new place to sleep ;)

Thank You Runescape!!! \'

Lol, last week, I went to a gathering with my friend. He was trying to hook me up with this one girl. Turns out she has a son who is 13. We are all outside (10 of us) and her son comes up to me and says, "You got a Level 109?" Everyone looks at me. I'm thinking, "Oh god...not now." So I'm like, "116 actually. I don't play on Free Servers." Everyone is like, WTF is he talking about. Next thing I know, I'm into a full blown discussion about Runescape with her son. Turns out, my friend's girlfriend plays Runescape too. She had asked for my help and I was messing around on a Free Server, trying to help her get started in the game again. She told the girl's son. Turns out 2 other people there also play. And, because of the connection with her son, well let's just say...I got a new place to sleep ;)

Lol, I have to say that was quite entertaining to read. The exact opposite of what you'd expect.

:shock: well that was an unexpected ending to story :? :lol:

I think the stereotype of any MMO player has always been fat/nerd/loser/got no life and a rs player fat/nerd/got no life/loser/poor

but who really cares what others think, I don't broadcast fact I play, but I wouldn't deny it if asked directly

I know i'm not any of those stereotypes so if people are too moronic and just stereotype me...oh well, my girlfriend, friends or work colleagues can prove them wrong :roll:

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

Well, I think that Rs players are seen a little like nerds because they don't play WoW, but instead spend a lot of their time on a much smaller online game that they think nobody cares about.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Again you're assuming too much. I don't recall saying I would be un able to cope with it. But let me ask you this. Would you rather announce to people that you play runescape, and have your friends poke fun at you, or would you rather just not tell anybody, and not have your friends poke fun at you? The answer seems blatently obvious to me.

Nobody said anything about annoucing. I know I don't expect you, me, or anyone else to get on top a desk and shout "I play RuneScape!", but if someone asks you if you do play RuneScape, why wouldn't you say yes?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Its because the stereotype of an MMO player is an overweight, balding, un-hygienic 30-something who has no job and plays for 15+ hours a day.

Fixed.

Anyways. I think people need to get over the whole "No life lulz!" thing. Just because you dislike standing at the mall or taco bell killing time while talking about the boobs on that chick that just walked by doesn't make you a horrible person.

I HATE the elitist attitude people with "lifes" have.

LOL!! yeah beats doing thatt

No_name_0985.png

no_name%200985.png

no_name%200985.png

lolbbqgiffinalxi1.gif

Dont blink! *slap*

:shock: well that was an unexpected ending to story :? :lol:

I think the stereotype of any MMO player has always been fat/nerd/loser/got no life and a rs player fat/nerd/got no life/loser/poor

but who really cares what others think, I don't broadcast fact I play, but I wouldn't deny it if asked directly

I know i'm not any of those stereotypes so if people are too moronic and just stereotype me...oh well, my girlfriend, friends or work colleagues can prove them wrong :roll:

best story i ever herd :thumbsup:

No_name_0985.png

no_name%200985.png

no_name%200985.png

lolbbqgiffinalxi1.gif

Dont blink! *slap*

Nobody said anything about annoucing. I know I don't expect you, me, or anyone else to get on top a desk and shout "I play RuneScape!", but if someone asks you if you do play RuneScape, why wouldn't you say yes?

Ok, I get what you're saying. But the only reasons I see why people would ask me would be if they either play them selves, in which case I certainly would not deny it, or if the person already knows, in which case there is no point in denying it.

Also, when I say announce, I don't mean standing up on top of a desk and shouting it to the world. What I do mean is if I'm near people having a conversation about the game, I'm not going to jump in and join the conversation, or make any indication that I play.

(Reason for edit: fixed typo: Changed "Too" to "To" so people won't comment on how oddly I spell "To" -.- )

Ok, I get what you're saying. But the only reasons I see why people would ask me would be if they either play them selves, in which case I certainly would not deny it, or if the person already knows, in which case there is no point in denying it.

Also, when I say announce, I don't mean standing up on top of a desk and shouting it too the world. What I do mean is if I'm near people having a conversation about the game, I'm not going to jump in and join the conversation, or make any indication that I play.

FFS leave him alone, you guys need to reread what he wrote, although I will agree it was worded poorly. But a quick translation for you guys. Basically what he said is he friends would give him hell for a day or so not that they are going to totally abandon him and treat him as an outcast. I don't about you guys, but I have friends exactly like that and I do that to them as well. I don't see where he is insecure or anything, this thread has developed more about peoples opinions than anything so respect them and don't be a jerk behind the keyboard whether it be someone who likes playing runescape or one who likes killing time around town. If you have fun doing either then I don't see what is the problem.

derrick44444.png

derrick44444.png

Wc'ing my way to 99 (Wish me luck)

For some reason my entire family views it as a little kids game. When i tell them that many people 20+ play it they just scoff at me. Its really annoying because its no different than playing Call of Duty 4 on Xbox live, but for some reason Cod4 is socially accepted.

I engineered this thread with precise variables that I know would cause lul-worthy flames.

Ammo931.png

i think if my friends found out that i played Runescape they wouldn't even care.. but i wouldn't go around telling them.

Keessig.jpg

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

click for teh bloggy.

ty to swaggeh for sig!