Flag Burning.

DaN

Some interesting responses here, but people assume flag burning is done in protest.

What if you where to burn a flag not in protest, but in celebration of the freedoms it represents?

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting responses here, but people assume flag burning is done in protest.

What if you where to burn a flag not in protest, but in celebration of the freedoms it represents?

:| That was a totally stupid statement. I am sorry, but to burn something cause you want to celebrate it isn't exactly the most civil thing. Shall we burn monuments because we want to celebrate them?

I would rather see a flag flying high in the sky then on the ground being burned up and then stamped on or put out by something to control the flame.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Doesn't that contradict the symbolism a bit?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

How?

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

You do realize that USA is the most powerful country in the world? I wouldn't be messing with it's symbol tbh.

You wouldn't?

Seriously, there is no magical protection around the flag that curses the burner. People can delude themselves into thinking that burning the flag is going to do anything, it's the delusion involved that disturbs me, not burning the flag.

C2b6gs7.png

How?

Would you piss on your grandma to celebrate her birthday :roll: ? It's the same thing.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

The United States have already decided it is perfectly ok to burn the flag. It was in one of the major court cases (i.e. Plessy v Fergson, Brown v Board of Education) that it is ok to burn the American Flag. It goes under freedom of speech.

So, my opinion? You can go right ahead and burn that flag. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, sure. But you could be doing so many more productive things with your time.

So many people in the United States hate our government. They hate our president, vice, cabinet. Why don't you just overthrow? The flag won't do anything. The government doesn't give two rats [wagon] if your burn the flag or not. Besides, it's our constitutional right to overthrow the government as we see fit. So why don't we? All of you people who say the United States sucks, and it could be better... Go do it. Make our rebublic something better.

Valid_Logic.png

I had a piece of grass on my shoe, and she wiped that off. Yeah. Impressive, eh? That's probably the closest I've ever been to having sex. :P

It's our right though. Why can't we? We can impeach, yes, but we can also at the same time, over throw the entire government and redo it as we see fit.

Do I want it to happen? No. But people who whine and complain about our government and those in it need to shut the hell up and do something about it rather than sit there and complain.

Valid_Logic.png

I had a piece of grass on my shoe, and she wiped that off. Yeah. Impressive, eh? That's probably the closest I've ever been to having sex. :P

The United States have already decided it is perfectly ok to burn the flag. It was in one of the major court cases (i.e. Plessy v Fergson, Brown v Board of Education) that it is ok to burn the American Flag. It goes under freedom of speech.

It was Texas v. Johnson btw.

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

It's our right though. Why can't we? We can impeach, yes, but we can also at the same time, over throw the entire government and redo it as we see fit.

Do I want it to happen? No. But people who whine and complain about our government and those in it need to shut the hell up and do something about it rather than sit there and complain.

So you're saying because a person doesn't agree with what the government is doing they should just "shut the hell up" or go try to overthrow them? That doesn't make any sense at all. People disagreeing with the gov't has been going on for ages and that's WHY we were given free speech. If I had a way to get Bush out of office believe me, I would have done it years ago, but to say that people that complain about how badly the system is bending us over daily should shut up, is ridiculous.

EDIT: 666th post. Throw up the horns.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I do believe they should do something if they whine enough to bug me, but people will complain about anything, and a lot of it is good-naturedly enough. Plus we really can't do that. The military is on the government's side. Unless something happens where the entire government starts to [bleep] up the country, anyone who tries to storm the white house will be shot on the spot.

And we can't impeach. I believe we can ask our Congressman to start up an impeachment, but unless the President did something, nothing'll come from it. We can't storm the castle and make King John sign the Magna Carta anymore.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

So you're saying because a person doesn't agree with what the government is doing they should just "shut the hell up" or go try to overthrow them? That doesn't make any sense at all. People disagreeing with the gov't has been going on for ages and that's WHY we were given free speech. If I had a way to get Bush out of office believe me, I would have done it years ago, but to say that people that complain about how badly the system is bending us over daily should shut up, is ridiculous.

EDIT: 666th post. Throw up the horns.

Sorry, not quite what I meant. I mean, there is a difference between "I don't entirely agree with Bush. Here's why." and "Bush sucks [rooster]. He shouldn't be there. I say this because it's popular"

I'm sorry, I did misword what I was saying and made it more harsh than it should've been.

Valid_Logic.png

I take major offense. That flag represents the country me and my brothers and sisters in uniform have sworn to protect and put our life on the line to protect day in and day out for hundreds of years. Its disgusting someone would be willing to burn a flag for fun. Any flag for that matter no matter the country. I salute that flag twice a day so yes i take offense. Did you watch the Olympic opening ceremonies? Did you see how proud those countries were marching behind their flags? Its much more then a piece of fabric on a pole.

If you want to burn a flag do it the right way. The respectful way and retire the flag. Disgusting you would do that, and then to post it on youtube. To me you are no better then those in the streets in the middle east.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

I take major offense. That flag represents the country me and my brothers and sisters in uniform have sworn to protect and put our life on the line to protect day in and day out for hundreds of years. Its disgusting someone would be willing to burn a flag for fun. Any flag for that matter no matter the country. I salute that flag twice a day so yes i take offense. Did you watch the Olympic opening ceremonies? Did you see how proud those countries were marching behind their flags? Its much more then a piece of fabric on a pole.

If you want to burn a flag do it the right way. The respectful way and retire the flag. Disgusting you would do that, and then to post it on youtube. To me you are no better then those in the streets in the middle east.

I didn't even think of how a soldier feels to see a flag burning. I'm sure the rest of us looked it over, too.

TETsig.jpeg

Thanks for serving our country; you do something that I could never do. And no, that isn't meant sarcastically.

That being said, there are a lot of things that this government stands for that I, and a lot of other people, do NOT stand for. Flag burning may be a way of getting attention to those matters in a pretty quick way. All it is is a catalyst to get people to pay attention. Your choice was to enter the armed forces. My choice may be to burn a flag. Just because you feel morally superior to those that do these activities does not make their activities wrong or unjustified. Perhaps I feel morally superior knowing that I will most likely never kill another human being, yet you may have to do that every day whilst on tour. I think killing someone is a little less justified than burning a piece of fabric.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Fire stands for the most extreme form of desecration. The American flag, in the eyes of patriots, stands for the blood and sweat that was shed in order to make the existence of that flag still possible today. I think you have every right to burn the flag, but I also think patriots have every right to get on your case about it - hell, they can even burn a photo of your family if they pleased since it's not much different than you burning their flag.

Protip: Don't piss off the marine. he'll kick your [wagon].

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

In that sense, yes - the intolerance of intolerance is the only intolerance to be tolerated.

I'm not gonna sit here and cling onto a "freedom of expression" sentiment when people are using that freedom to abuse others. I find that totally unacceptable and the state should be taking action against it, far from holding onto an amendment passed around two centuries ago and calling it an inalienable right.

I will agree with you about the intolerance of intolerance. I have to say i do change my opinion there and agree certain protests shouldnt be allowed(no protection for the kkk). However to say we should just throw away freedom of expression is erroneous, we simply need to recognize that hate speech should be illegal

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I will agree with you about the intolerance of intolerance. I have to say i do change my opinion there and agree certain protests shouldnt be allowed(no protection for the kkk). However to say we should just throw away freedom of expression is erroneous, we simply need to recognize that hate speech should be illegal

Why no protection to the KKK? I understand back when they were violent, yes, but why now?

Valid_Logic.png

Why no protection to the KKK? I understand back when they were violent, yes, but why now?

That's what's confusing me. People pick and choose what they think is morally acceptable and think everything that they disagree with should be banned. That's not free speech, that's communism.

TETsig.jpeg