Cultrally diverse

Stilev

Well 2nd night as a freshman at college and i just finished reading chapter two on my communications book which was about respecting and understanding the different cultures around the world and the idea of a global village. a couple things are like Individualism vs collectivization; low context vs high context communication; etc. a few things i found interesting was things like

-in Saudi Arabia showing the sole of your foot is there version of the middle finger

-Taiwanese take great disrespect if you blink a lot at them

-Long term eye contact in japan is disrespectful, Arabs maintain direct eye contact over long period of times

-Japanese view the business card as an extension of the person, so putting in your pocket quickly is very rude

if you went to a foreign country do you think you could culturally survive, say some things you know about things not to do in other countries

legends2.jpg

If I had to go, I'd try to learn a few fundamental points about a culture before going over, so not to insult anyone who might live there. Out of respect. Generally, I'd also try to simply fit in, and mainly stay quiet. In terms of being culturally diverse though, we were shown a video in English III called Primal Mind, which is basically showing how Indian-Americans and Europeans/Americans view each other differently. One quote came out of it, saying "Progress is the enemy of Tradition", and the video went on about how indians saw the earth as sacred, where as dominant settlers saw the earth as something to be sold. That vid did seem a bit biased, so I don't know what to think. Maybe to tell us not to live in ignorance or something.

Deleted. ~meol

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I learned about this in Sociology today. India (was it?) has a common custom where males friends will hold hands while talking - not in a sexual way, but in a friendly and respectful way.

I don't think I could survive without looking like a complete moron. I'm too American. :lol:

I'd apologize if I offend them overtly, but I wouldn't make a big deal over changing my ways. They'd certainly be just as (not) at home in my home, so why try to change myself?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Never blink at me then. I actually didn't really know that. I've heard it, but I thought it was a joke/something that people didn't really take seriously. If it's true, then damn, I should be dead by now.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

There was some discussion on the unconscious actions of attraction thread about how in Finland personal space is very valued, you don't look anyone in the eye.

I manage/d to survive in another culture, I don't think it's that hard.

C2b6gs7.png

did you know the thumbs-up sign is exactly like the middle finger in the middle east?

No. Actually flicking the middle finger like up and down is the middle finger in the middle east. I'd know, being born in Baghdad, living in Doha, Dubai, and Saudi Arabia for 8 years.

Looking at women is the WORST thing you can possibly do. As in, "checking them out" could probably get your eyes taken away depending on what you did. Stealing - hand surgically removed. Hell, if you RAPED a muslim women in a muslim country, consider your whole family dead.

Anyways, I'm christian. :thumbsup:

Looking at women is the WORST thing you can possibly do. As in, "checking them out" could probably get your eyes taken away depending on what you did. Stealing - hand surgically removed. Hell, if you RAPED a muslim women in a muslim country, consider your whole family dead.

I know what you mean. Muslim extremity. In New Zealand, it is culturally insensitive, apparantly, to Maoris that sitting on a table is very disrespectful. They believe that your bottom is the worst part of your body, and shouldn't touch the table, where food is. But the big, resident, Maori guy in my class does it all the time.

To the bold bit. By any chance do you get it hard over there? I've heard really horrible stories about Iran, and Iraq, things like that. I'd choose a more peaceful Middle East country, something like Bahrain, or Yemen. Yemen.

lampost_sig_stark.png

I'd survive.The only time I do things offensive to other cultures (I did my research) is if they offend/piss me off.

Like today I was eating noodles with roast pork,and this Malay guy comes and pokes fun at my friend's religion,saying he made Virgin Mary...Not so virgin.I told him I was making lunch,and how did a pork loin boiled in lard with a side of wet dog hair sound to him.He pushed my head into the bowl saying "I make you eat it lah" I said something like sure,there's lots of pork here to eat.

Then I poked at him not being able to eat lunch starting next week for Ramadan.That was fun,he pissed us off we piss him back.

I'm usually not such a jackass by the way,only to my friends.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I know what you mean. Muslim extremity. In New Zealand, it is culturally insensitive, apparantly, to Maoris that sitting on a table is very disrespectful. They believe that your bottom is the worst part of your body, and shouldn't touch the table, where food is. But the big, resident, Maori guy in my class does it all the time.

To the bold bit. By any chance do you get it hard over there? I've heard really horrible stories about Iran, and Iraq, things like that. I'd choose a more peaceful Middle East country, something like Bahrain, or Yemen. Yemen.

Well I was born in Baghdad because my parents worked there. My mom is from Lebanon and my dad is from Armenia. I've never lived in any war-zones or bombed out houses or anything. Most of my life I've lived in Canada. I've lived in Doha, Qatar and Dubai. Very nice countries to live in, not strict Islamic countries. My dad goes to Iran occasionally for work, but currently, I live in Madrid, Spain. Weird huh?

fi

I'd survive.The only time I do things offensive to other cultures (I did my research) is if they offend/piss me off.

Like today I was eating noodles with roast pork,and this Malay guy comes and pokes fun at my friend's religion,saying he made Virgin Mary...Not so virgin.I told him I was making lunch,and how did a pork loin boiled in lard with a side of wet dog hair sound to him.He pushed my head into the bowl saying "I make you eat it lah" I said something like sure,there's lots of pork here to eat.

Then I poked at him not being able to eat lunch starting next week for Ramadan.That was fun,he pissed us off we piss him back.

I'm usually not such a jackass by the way,only to my friends.

I've been arrested for eating outside during Ramadan. Not a pleasant thing.

Over here, when a bunch of friends meet for a drink, it's customary for everyone to stand in a circle, clap their hands together then tickle each other's armpits. If someone doesn't wish to partake in that, it's considered rude and they will most likely be spit on.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

Over here, when a bunch of friends meet for a drink, it's customary for everyone to stand in a circle, clap their hands together then tickle each other's armpits. If someone doesn't wish to partake in that, it's considered rude and they will most likely be spit on.

Sounds like a typical american Frat-boy thing :shock:

In some muslim contries, if you even look at a women, your dead. Which is crap because they're so hooded up in thier burkas, all you can see is thier eyes :shock:

They also hang you if your gay (Because prison would defeat the point) but if your a lesbian, you get off scot-free...

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

-in Saudi Arabia showing the sole of your foot is there version of the middle finger

It's a common thing in the middle east, that is why Iraqi's were hitting the statue of Saddam with their shoes when it was taken down.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Slamming your fist into an open palm is like the middle finger here I believe,I mean they mean the same thing.

By the way,title should be "Culturally" or something not "Cultrally".

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I used to live in Bahrain (in the Middle East). My dad was hit over the head with the butt of a rifle for showing the soles of his feet to the judge in a courtroom. He was on trial because he had crashed his car into some camels and killed a few. His friend, who was in the passenger seat was decapitated by the windscreen when it smashed.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

In England, if you look at a group of Chavs then they get a knife out and start saying: "What??? What ya lookin at mate??? Ya f*ckin lookin at me mate??? Imma stab you up mate!!!"

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

did you know the thumbs-up sign is exactly like the middle finger in the middle east?

No. Actually flicking the middle finger like up and down is the middle finger in the middle east. I'd know, being born in Baghdad, living in Doha, Dubai, and Saudi Arabia for 8 years.

i heard this from my dad who lived in iran for 16 years. he'd know living there twice as long as you did. either way, the countries you mentioned have different cultures than iran, so it might be different there.

I suppose I would fit into a new culture. There might be a few problems at first, but it would probably be fine after a while.

Wait... I am already a social outcast in my own culture for doing culturally unaccepted things like knowing PHP, playing RuneScape and being a communist... :oops:

6dv9t4.png

Filesharer.org - Upload your mugshot to support The Pirate Bay!

i wouldnt respect a few countries purely because im british. seeks can ride bikes without helmets because of their turban even though its a UK law and women can be wrapped in bedcloths but i cant wear a hat into most places and this pakisatni family just opened a cornershop next to the local off license and they also sell wine, beer and spirits. if they don't feel the need to respect our country then i will not respect theirs, especially as our laws and way of living are for our own safety and personal enjoyment and theirs are all based on some old book with no proof.

i dont like diverse cultures, the reason we have different cultures is because we are different as races and people should stop migrating and just live where they are born. unfortunately i am a hypocrite and will certainly be moving from england if our government keep the floodgates open and giving foreigners more rights and quicker access to NHS, housing and benefits. i will see you all in jamaica or norway.

macho_munky.png

I know some of what is acceptable in most countries, however that is because I read a book on body language. I'd suggest, if you were going somewhere foreign, learn what is culturally acceptable there.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg