College Search

Rahila

Well, It's that time in my life, I need to start applying for colleges.

I'm going to be honest and say that I haven't thought too much about colleges or my carreer i want to have, but for a couple weeks now I've been thinking about my future. I have about a 4.0 gpa and I am re-taking the ACT in october (didnt do too terrible the first time...just trying to do better).

Anyways, I have decided I want to be some sort of Doctor, preferebly a dentist of some sort. Now I'm a pretty social guy that makes friends easily, and I'm used to a lot of school work.

So, I created this thread basically so you can say what college you went to, whether you like/d it or not (and why), and so I can have some input on some good pre-med schools (I will probably major in some sort of engineering).

As of now some of the schools I have considered going to are ASU, NAU, Denver, and I need to look into some california schools, but I need to look at many others before i make a decision.

So any advice would be great, and if you don't have advice than just feel free to post about what college you attend(ed) and what you think about it :)

(P.S. i'm obviously not going to base my future on what colleges you all went to, but it could play a factor if you have any information on a college I might apply to)

thanks

Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN, is pretty good, if you have the scholarships for it, because it's very expensive. Easily a good place to get a doctorate if you are going for that.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

First off, a dentist is not a doctor, different schools and different training and different requirements. Second if you are going to be a dentist/doctor I suggest you go to your state university (aka the cheapest place you get in). Grad school, specifically medical/dental school, is extremely expensive, save money now. The only thing medical school/dental school care about is GPA and your test scores. State Univeristy are usually easier because they have a lot of people - considering that most pre-medical/dent classes are on a bell curve, it will be easier for you to get an A. Medical/Dental schools don't care about the name of your Uni.

Being a dentist is an awesome job too btw, only have to work like 35 hours a week (4 days a week) and you make bank. It can get a little boring, but you can easily go into the business aspect of it if you have good business skills. Make sure you don't have any back problems, and being artistic/good with your hands will make it easier for you.

Speaking from experience. Don't listen to people randomly naming schools, that is not going to help you at all.

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com

Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and UT of Dallas or UT of Austin are all great schools, with fantastic scholarship programs. Hot Southern girls. Amazing Texasness. Just damn great.

And about Texas Tech. Don't come here. School's great, town sucks.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

My sister is looking at colleges too. We actually took two tours on our way home from New York today in Connecticut. I'm only 14, but the first one (Quinnipiac) was really nice, and no doubt I'm going to look into it once I start to look for colleges. Plus it's only about a 90-120 minute drive from my house, and my family knows some people there.

What state do you live in? Depending on where you live there could be some excellent state schools near you.

It can be nice to go to a university near (say within 500 miles) where you live. If you live near or in North Carolina, there are plenty of good options that won't break the bank.

What state do you live in? Depending on where you live there could be some excellent state schools near you.

It can be nice to go to a university near (say within 500 miles) where you live. If you live near or in North Carolina, there are plenty of good options that won't break the bank.

Arizona, and i'm looking for primarily a southwestern school, not considering the east coast at all

thanks for the help everyone, especially vlad, keep it commin' :)

My sister is currently going to Stanford, and she said she loves it there. She said the teachers are very good, the dorms are great, the food is good, and I'm pretty sure this is true, if your parents make less than $100,000 a year you go for free if they want you there, which it sounds like they would.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

Whatever you DO NOT APPLY TO CAL. Other than that Uc san diego is nice, san diego state, asu, u of a, Uc davis, san jose state, usf, Lmu, usd, long beach state, usc, caltech, uc riverside, uc irvine, or you could go to the number one college in the country...CHICO STATE :thumbsup: There is a store in chico that sells the most Keystone in the country. It's like they have the factory there.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

http://www.collegeboard.com/

http://www.educationplanner.com/educati ... onsor=2859

http://www.fastweb.com/

http://www.finaid.org/

Use these websites to help you.

PS: Im a senior and im hoping to attend either California University of PA, Susqehana University, or Arcadia University (I live in PA) I havent decided which yet

Sig

Arizona, and i'm looking for primarily a southwestern school, not considering the east coast at all

thanks for the help everyone, especially vlad, keep it commin' :)

I've heard University of Phoenix is pretty good, so I'd reckon close to you.

TEXAS SCHOOLS TEXAS SCHOOLS TEXAS SCHOOLS

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

sounds like you're west coast. anyways, are you a senior? do you have AP credits? if you do, consider the fact that medical/dental school is a graduate school, so the school you go to doesn't matter nearly as much as how well you do at that school. If you have AP credits, chances are you can get into a good, challenging school to meet the requirements for med school (generally, 2 sem chem, 2 sem bio, 2 sem phys, 1 sem calc, some cases, psychology) but is not an impossible school (i.e. an ivy). That way, preparing for med school isn't nearly as hard, and you can most likely use all your AP credits to make undergrad a little easier. If you dont have any AP credits, then you'll probably want to get into a very challenging school that doesn't accept AP credits anyways (i.e. an ivy) so that if you do take the classes, take challenging ones while you're at it.

The point I'm making is that going into a medical/dental profession takes 12 years - undergrad, grad, and residency. Its a load of work, so if you can lessen the load by making the undergrad less stressful (since med school is tough no matter where you go), its best to place out with AP credits as opposed to take full classes in a school that doesn't accept AP credits