The G/E babies people

Atom Smash40

When I'm skilling I always get materials on my own. My clan members and friends say it would be easier just to buy on G.E. but I'd rather get stuff my own way. For example when I was getting 66 Crafting for Rocking Out I decided to Blow Glass. I gathered 1k Seaweed and Buckets of Sand (okay the Sand was from Bert :lol: ) ,smelted it into molten glass. I found that much more fun and entertaining then buying than buying a huge amount of raw materials on the G.E.

Link to Forum Games signature.

[hide=TIFer Quotes]

This lack of discussion value..disturbs me.
English is the only language on this forum.

If you use another language, you need to include a traduction

bgok5jn dsgtalg

Oh wow, I hate everything -.-

Death kinda scares me.

your obsession with phallic objects shows quite clearly in your artworks.

Ffs, someone put this in their sig.

[/hide]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree. im going for 99 mining because its something i like doing. call me crazy, but i actually enjoy mining granite for countless hours when i can be killing irons/steels for a visage. im not gunna choose an easier 99 to get. i feel more accomplished if i do what i want, even if its harder, and finish it.

Couldn't agree more, mining rules :thumbsup:

Link to Forum Games signature.

[hide=TIFer Quotes]

This lack of discussion value..disturbs me.
English is the only language on this forum.

If you use another language, you need to include a traduction

bgok5jn dsgtalg

Oh wow, I hate everything -.-

Death kinda scares me.

your obsession with phallic objects shows quite clearly in your artworks.

Ffs, someone put this in their sig.

[/hide]

Why do people call it the G/E? Is it the Grand/Exchange? Sheesh.

And just play like you used to.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

I'd like to see how people feel when stuff is made more convenient in real life, considering how they react to the GE making things easier to get.

"wtf? gas prices dropping? ALL THE NOOBS WILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE THEIR CARS NOW, STOP NERFING GAS PRICES"

"Making better computer hardware just nerfs all of us who used to have to overclock our systems. Stop doing it, now."

"Pumping my gas? WTF, I pump my own gas, STOP NERFING GAS PUMPING"

"What do you mean I can get free shipping? What do you think I am, some kind of lazy NOOB? I'll pay for my shipping, thank you."

"I have a complaint about your copy of Spiderman 3. Yea, there's no 12-VHS set of it, the only copies you have are for lazy idiots who can't be bothered switching out a tape."

"Medicine? Who needs medicine? People need to stop being lazy noobs and tough out their colds, flus, diseases, and viruses. Like we did in the old days with the plague"

Innovation weeps whenever these types of people are around.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'd like to see how people feel when stuff is made more convenient in real life, considering how they react to the GE making things easier to get.

"wtf? gas prices dropping? ALL THE NOOBS WILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE THEIR CARS NOW, STOP NERFING GAS PRICES"

"Making better computer hardware just nerfs all of us who used to have to overclock our systems. Stop doing it, now."

"Pumping my gas? WTF, I pump my own gas, STOP NERFING GAS PUMPING"

"What do you mean I can get free shipping? What do you think I am, some kind of lazy NOOB? I'll pay for my shipping, thank you."

"I have a complaint about your copy of Spiderman 3. Yea, there's no 12-VHS set of it, the only copies you have are for lazy idiots who can't be bothered switching out a tape."

"Medicine? Who needs medicine? People need to stop being lazy noobs and tough out their colds, flus, diseases, and viruses. Like we did in the old days with the plague"

Innovation weeps whenever these types of people are around.

u guys arent reading what im saying.

im not complaining. im just asking who remembers when u had to go around for 10min getting everything for a quest or TT. where in this post do u get the idea im complaining about the easiness of things? if this were a complaint, itd b in the RANTS section. this is a discussion with people who remember the olden days, when things werent so easy.

im not saying g/e sucks. im just saying people who joined after g/e dont understand what we, those whove been playing for a while, had to do to get a simple item.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

u guys arent reading what im saying.

im not complaining. im just asking who remembers when u had to go around for 10min getting everything for a quest or TT. where in this post do u get the idea im complaining about the easiness of things? if this were a complaint, itd b in the RANTS section. this is a discussion with people who remember the olden days, when things werent so easy.

It wasn't directed straight at you, it was towards the people who are saying the GE sucks because it makes things more convenient, and therefore makes players lazy. Where do you get the idea that I was singling you out?

Anyway, I remember what we had to do to get a simple item. I remember needing all sorts of vague items that would probably never have graced my bank. I would rather the new players don't have to go through the same headaches that we did, like trying to get into world 2 to buy barrows only to give up and offer on the forums, only to get a pm "Hey, I'll sell it to you cheap, meet me north of Edgeville near the bridge" Great, waste of my time and the only offer i get is from a scammer. I went through 9 consecutive scam attempts before I got my first set of Barrows, lures and leaf bladed spears.

And what I said wasn't meant to be taken as flaming, it was a joke as to whether or not the same people who dislike innovation and efficiency in Runescape react the same in real life when things get cheaper and more efficient. Personally, I doubt they do, but it's a funny thought.

I don't think any different than I did before the update, except in a few areas. If I need a vague item, I'll make an attempt to buy it on the GE. If it's not instant, I'll trek out to search for it. Trading through the Grand Exchange for me is much more efficient than trading through players. And to those who say the GE takes the personal touch out of trading, citing world 2 as an example, spamming "SELLING ____" with an autotyper, then having someone come up to you "trade" *trades* "thx" *walks away* is not really that much more personal than the Grand Exchange.

im not saying g/e sucks. im just saying people who joined after g/e dont understand what we, those whove been playing for a while, had to do to get a simple item.

This is every MMO. In Tabula Rasa, you gained assault and defense tokens for every control point you helped attack or defend, and you would have to loot them off of the enemy. All Control Points accounted for, you could have about two dozen different stacks of tokens, each on only spendable at its own control point, attack and defense also different. That basically gave the game about 30 different types of currency. It's been changed, first to generic assault and defense tokens, and now to prestige that you don't even have to loot off your enemies.

New players don't understand the old assault and defense tokens. They won't know how the game was before the military surplus (auction house), when bullets were expensive enough that a chaingun could sap millions in a half hour, or a host of other things that changed.

Anyway, just do what I do. Become the Grandpa of the game, and enthrall all the new players with your stories, many of them really enjoy hearing stories of events they've missed. From the odd (There was a bridge to the island south of here, Catherby, the Wise Old Man came up to guard it) to the exciting (You've never heard of Durial?) to the boring (General Store icons used to be a full pot of flour, but they removed the flour because general stores don't sell it). Trust me, if you want to tell newer players stories of the older game, they'll flock to you just in the boredom of long term woodcutting, fishing, etc.

And if you can't tell, yes I do have a box of trinkets with a story to each one. I'm like that.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

This post will be partially on topic with the original, and partially in response to some of the whining...

I love the Grand Exchange. It was an old idea from way long ago that was in the works (I really need to find the guy with the original idea so he could post more on what his idea was that was quite similar to the completion of the Grand Exchange itself), and it has been a huge relief for many. For those who are old time players, and I mean like 2001-old, remember how it was a pain in the rear to get stuff because there was no bank notes and no certificates?

Let's do a little time line just in case:

1. No item bank/certs/notes. People had what was called "mule" characters, which were then clarified to be against the rules

2. Bank holds our items! Yay! But still no certs/notes. :(

3. Certs, but not for everything!!! :ohnoes: Only raw materials.

4. Bank notes!

All these things were created to make life easier for traders. Now for those of you complaining about the Grand Exchange making things easier, then maybe you should also whine about the Skill-X options as well. If everything were so difficult, people will become dissatisfied, frustrated. The reason why so many changes came about was because of the complaints of it being too difficult. Do you really want to spend weeks trading 1000 coal to someone? No. Do you really want to spend weeks uncerting items? Of course not. Bank notes really helped out. But then you look at the market boards. It's rather cumbersome trying to search through the threads looking for what you want to buy at the price you seek. Sometimes you get annoyed that the good prices are all half-way around the world and may even cry a foul because of that. The Grand Exchange helps with that problem. It allows you to buy the items at the price you want at your own convenience. So instead of hearing nasty comments like, "Oh the people of so and so country have it so much cheaper than our country," you now have a whole world united and trading together, bringing the gaming community together in commerce. World trade, my friends.

Old players, you can't expect newer players to understand the hardship. It's like our great-grandparents, if any telling us, "When we were your age we had to walk 10 miles in the waist-deep snow to school. We didn't have fancy machines to make paths for us. We had to dig our own way out." Can you really understand that? Not a lot of us can. Same with the newer players. They don't know how the game was like before. To them the game started when they first joined (not necessarily date wise but development wise). You can't hate them for that.

I remember having so much trouble looking for items on the forums. What was more frustrating was that as a non-member I could not post on the RuneScape Official Forums to contact the person I wanted to buy from. On Tip.it I still encountered problems and would get outbid by the time I wake up. :wall: Now with the Grand Exchange, I don't have to worry about checking the posts every 10 minutes. I do miss the journeys to meet merchants, but I'm still contributing to the RuneScape economy by participating in the Grand Exchange as a means of efficiency.

We still have the trading system, just with a limit allowed above or under the value of the items. It's not too different. We just have another tool in case we don't want to bust out the calculator and do all the math before trading.

No one's being forced to use the Grand Exchange.

Although, it would be interesting if we looked at trade limits as a way of trying to get people to start using the Grand Exchange more instead of trading between each other (not that I'm saying that's the intention of the trade limits). :P

ha i remember having to go all over the place to get quest items, the ge definitely babys us now :D

but occasionally something wont buy/sell which makes you go out and get it, which is nice every now n then :)

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

)Ge ruins it in some ways:

used to be easy to get stuff using the forums. Now you have to wait ages for your order to be filled.

The main problem I often see is due tradelimits (I hate RWT's even more then before :evil: ) you can't instant-buy stuff anymore. I remember paying 10k per magic log when doing d treasure. It took me only a 5 sec walk from cammy to that wizardtower. (luckely I can now chop my own magic logs if ever needed :thumbsup:

the ge saves us a lot of time when gathering items needed for quests or training and the time saved can be put to much more productive uses such as exploring the RS world (if you really choose to do so) i would never have been able to prepare for a gwd/dk trip as quickly as possible if i had to buy all my brews, runes, food and what not on the ge...also, we can all skill more efficiently instead of trying to sell all the by-products of our skilling in world 2 fally or on the forums...it doesn't really baby us...it's just an aid, a tool to help us...you always have to choice whether you want to stay independent of the ge or use it to your greatest advantage...

and if you choose not to use the ge...you can still go about the traditional way of collecting your items...and good luck to you with that ;)

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

It's true, even though the G.E. is soo incredibely handy, quick ànd easy, it was alot more fun & hard work to get your hands on.

Now everyone at G.E. is just ... well, standing there waiting for their stuff.

I loved negociating about prices =(

But, G.E. is extremely nice though, if you need something quickly, it's the place to be. :mrgreen:

Contagiouz.png

I won't pretend it's not convenient. Being able to buy (almost) any needed item near instantly is wayyyy better than having to either spend an hour getting quest equipment, or spend an hour sitting in a bank somewhere attempting to buy it. I do agree that it's taken some fun out of traveling around getting the items, but getting items faster > small chance of getting some rare item somewhere.

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

SLAYERGEEK

The question was: Does the G/E 'baby' players? ... yes, it very much does. I wouldn't go as far as to call them lazy, 'dependent' perhaps. If the GE were removed tomorrow, it would cripple tons of the players who have only known the GE, many of whom haven't got the faintest idea how to produce items for themselves. Bstaffs, super sets, monkfish, and bruised blue pointy snelms, all magically appear for them if they have enough gp.

Yes, the GE is fast (most of the time), and overall has more benefits than drawbacks (*cough* price manipulation *cough*) but, I don't think this was meant to be a 'pro/con GE' debate.

The GE, as is, frees up a lot of time for doing what you want to be doing, that is if gathering ingredients isn't your thing; but, at the same time it makes the game incredibly shallow IMO.

There is a lot of depth to this game, and if you are a newer player who only uses GE to get everything, I think you are missing out on much of what the game has to offer.

I am not saying walking across the map for a spade spawn is depth ... I'm saying, at least knowing how to make that "bulls eye lantern*" (*insert X item) from scratch is depth; and perhaps you'll even find yourself doing it one day, when no one is selling said item on the precious GE; or maybe even find yourself doing it for fun at some point.

Kayezz.png

Well, personally, i find the ge convienient, versus having to buy goods from other players. But, with convienience comes cost. Simple things that used to be cheap, are now expensive on the ge. Personally, if it doesn't take ages, i'll happily make things myself, versus buying them for more than they're worth.

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

Remember, way back when, when you couldn't find anything on the forums (like molten glass), so you had to go to the Range Guild, get a glassblowing pipe, and then find a bucket and get some sand, just to make molten glass for a bull-eye lantern?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Rofl.

But before the g.e. If i needed a fishbowl, NO BODY sold unless i offered 10k+. and on the forums if you were selling an odd number or buying an odd number no one would sell to or buy from you. remember one time this guy needed like 1773 yew longbows and i was nice and sold them then i had to buy 1773 yew longbows back to sell the 3k i was selling in the first place. No one would buy in odd numbers

Ponder00.png

twssmas.gif

The GE Update actually released on the day that I was starting to collect the items from the Mourning's End 2 list, so I honestly can't complain to much about it :lol:

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

The GE is great it helps a lot with everything.

but i did like it better when there was no trade limit, no GE, and wilderness was still there.

My point is is that the GE is only good now since wildy gone and the trade limit.

lord_gavin07.png

I wish i could do the 99 range emote, but sadly not yet. It is one of my goals though.

Dragon Drops: 0

Barrows Drops: 0

God Wars Drops: 0

i like the GE. it makes things to sell so much easier. there r only few sellable items in f2p. world 1 has lobster, yews etc. but u could really never sell such things as trout. plus it makes things easier for the buyer. i like it there and u dont have to waste time to travel across runescape in search of something simple.