A thirst for challenge

mario_sunny

A long time ago, the most powerful monster in runescape was the King black dragon, level 276. Today, 14 attackable creatures pass him in combat. For quite a while, TzTok-Jad was the most powerful monster in the game. After over 60 rounds of regular monsters, players had to defeat the massive TzTok-Jad to receive the legendary fire cape. At of the release, it seemed an impossible challenge. Today, however, many strategies have been revealed to make it possible for a level 45 to acquire a fire cape.

I find that disappointing. That's why I became really excited when I heard the first rumors of a creature more powerful than jad just hours after the release of Summer's End. I quickly completed the (annoying) quest, then proceeded to 3 item the new creature like so many had suggested at the time.

The first time I fought the beast was a thriller experience that I hadn't come across since my first tanking of Kril (forgot to pray melee). Everyone was in the wrong armor and were using the typical slash weapons (whip, gs). The beast could hit over 60 and had a minion healer that hit constant 10s in his 3x3. Not only that - the beast had 2000hp! My jaw dropped when I saw that bar. The first fight took over 6 minutes.

But then the strategies and weaknesses were discovered. It turned out the beast is weak to stab attacks (the zamorak spear is particularly effective), and running under it is an excellent way to shake it if you are tanked. Cannons, too, proved to be a fast and efficient way of slaying the healing minion (dark core).

"Men drop like flies" used to be the saying during the first few days of the beast's release. This phrase seems to have died out. If you know all the strategies you'll find it quite easy to stay alive against the beast. Infact, if you have fast reactions, you can probably manage 5 sharks per kill with a basic team (10-20 people).

Is there any real challenge in runescape anymore (exluding PvP)? Sure, you can solo GWD bosses, but if you are prepared and experienced, it's not that difficult. (And don't mention soloing the beast, that's actually considered impossible at this time). When I heard of the level 785 I expected a huge boss squirting mage/range attacks in every direction, hitting constant 30-40s on everyone, perhaps hitting one huge 70 (non-dodgeable!) on a single tank, forcing the tank to run under the beast as fast as possible or face a two-hit k0. High levels would fear the new boss. Only the mightiest players could slay it and rake in the 100k-70M drops it offered.

I believe the beast could be the start of a new breed of boss that will expand more in the future. The beast takes forever to kill with its 2k hp and still manages to smack incredible 60+'s on tanks (and 20+ on non-tanks too simultaneously) It also lugs around some large defense level. Its hitpoints are particularly interesting. What if a boss had 3000hp? Maybe even 4000hp? What if, with this, its offensive combat stats were even higher than the beast? I await the day, jagex, when you release a quadruple digit monster. I can guarantee you I'll be one of the first on the battleground, hoping that my thirst for challenge will finally be quenched.

[hide=Contributing posts]

He said you can't solo it. But anyway, you do have a great point I personally got ratehr sick of the beast i want a monster where it is not hit-hit-hit-run-eat-hit, maybe a monster that requires your full attention ( the beast does too ) like the dagganoth mother you can only attack it a certain way at a certain time kinda deal. or you have to kill it in part's like the tenticle thing in temple trekking and each part drops something diffrent like the leg's or one leg drops boots while the otehr drops leg's or a skir,t arms drop a shield and weapon, while the body drops some kind of odd object used in skilling or a platebody etc. while the head drops maybe a helm or another odd item (brain? you never know) or a helm or tiara or even a skull which could be either a helm or a nice 3k prayer exp for burying? But hey, it is fun aswell as maybe challanging?

For all my opinion's worth, the one word you cannot describe RuneScape as is "challenging". Getting 99 woodcutting is not challenging, neither is killing Jad. Something is only challenging, by definition, when it requires the use of all resources and abilities - in other words, when it reaches the point where at any higher difficulty, the task would become impossible unless the person expanded their own ability.

RuneScape does not test a person's ability to their fullest. It requires attention, and effort, perhaps a little bit of knowledge in regards to knowing how to do a task, but it never really pushes someone to that breaking point. Fundamentally, the combat system rides too much on luck over whether you hit them, for how much, or whether you get hit yourself, and for how much. The drops system is even more dependent on luck.

I don't think there's a single person who would say, "being lucky is a challenge".

If they redid the combat system to make it more consistent, and so it requires actual skill, maybe fighting monsters in RuneScape would be a challenge.

[/hide]

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

When you can solo this jaw dropping creature, you should have your thirst for challenge quenched for now.

Edit: I'll give it about 2 more months, it has to be possible to solo, someone will figure it out.

It might take some time to think of it and execute it properly, but I don't think Jagex would create a monster that's impossible to solo, it's just not Jagex.

When you can solo this jaw dropping creature, you should have your thirst for challenge quenched for now.

No, that actually is impossible. There's nothing out there that could let you hit often enough on the Beast, and let you heal yourself at the same time.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Very true. Parts of GWD have gotten too easy - I sometimes go to bandos just to mess around and have fun with no real fear of losing items. It makes me think - what if Jagex made a super, SUPER tough monster in multi combat with a guarantied 100m+ drop - but one that was so tough that a gigantic team of 138s wouldn't be able to bring it down. Something like Jad, but with a monetary reward and in multi combat. Obviously balancing this monster would be very tough, but its just an idea I had.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

We can only hope.

While the Corporal Beast may be by far the toughest boss to date, it's still rather disappointing now that people have worked out particularly effective strategies.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like for there to be a boss where the risk is at extreme measures regardless of the size of your team or the strategies you devise. Until then, we'll never have a true challenge, nor a truly rare drop.

1zyvxis.png

RS Name: Goatmeal

Combat: 136 | Skill Total: 2250+ | RuneVillage

He said you can't solo it. But anyway, you do have a great point I personally got ratehr sick of the beast i want a monster where it is not hit-hit-hit-run-eat-hit, maybe a monster that requires your full attention ( the beast does too ) like the dagganoth mother you can only attack it a certain way at a certain time kinda deal. or you have to kill it in part's like the tenticle thing in temple trekking and each part drops something diffrent like the leg's or one leg drops boots while the otehr drops leg's or a skir,t arms drop a shield and weapon, while the body drops some kind of odd object used in skilling or a platebody etc. while the head drops maybe a helm or another odd item (brain? you never know) or a helm or tiara or even a skull which could be either a helm or a nice 3k prayer exp for burying? But hey, it is fun aswell as maybe challanging?

New Siggy in progress.

Proud Construction cape owner

You want monsters that can 2hit you with a 90% certainity?

What the fun of that? - It all starts to come down to luck in that case! BOOM-BOOM dead.. Wow that was fun :/

I rather have bosses like the saradomin godwars boss: deadly but not really a 2hit KO attack. Also at least the saradomin boss requires some tactics: I really hoped the new bosses would need that too.. But so far it seems the beast is pretty basic..

And about the different "parts":

Well taht's actually what the GWD bosses are: you can just see the boss and it's sergeants as 1 monster: the sergeants will regrow if they're killed before the main part is killed!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Technically I'd say Jad is still the hardest boss in game, not because he has the highest levels, but because of how the fight caves work.

I mean its all very well easily beating the beast in a team (when the gd method is worked out) or going straight to a gwd boss. But with jad you gotta battle you way there and risk having little to no supplies left to battle him.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

He said you can't solo it. But anyway, you do have a great point I personally got ratehr sick of the beast i want a monster where it is not hit-hit-hit-run-eat-hit, maybe a monster that requires your full attention ( the beast does too ) like the dagganoth mother you can only attack it a certain way at a certain time kinda deal.

Maybe there lies the real point.

For all my opinion's worth, the one word you cannot describe RuneScape as is "challenging". Getting 99 woodcutting is not challenging, neither is killing Jad. Something is only challenging, by definition, when it requires the use of all resources and abilities - in other words, when it reaches the point where at any higher difficulty, the task would become impossible unless the person expanded their own ability.

RuneScape does not test a person's ability to their fullest. It requires attention, and effort, perhaps a little bit of knowledge in regards to knowing how to do a task, but it never really pushes someone to that breaking point. Fundamentally, the combat system rides too much on luck over whether you hit them, for how much, or whether you get hit yourself, and for how much. The drops system is even more dependent on luck.

I don't think there's a single person who would say, "being lucky is a challenge".

If they redid the combat system to make it more consistent, and so it requires actual skill, maybe fighting monsters in RuneScape would be a challenge.

Hmm i remember playing a flash game called Sonny, their was one particular Boss, it had 100,000HP but its attacks were weak, Easy right? Wrong. When it hit below 90,000HP, it whould instantly heal for 2,000,000HP. But... I could be defeated with one particular, Hard to Train skill.

So why dont we have some Super boss with insane healing abilites, but can be killed(weakened or damage probably) with One(or Lots of ::' ) hard to train skill

faiyaz101.png

Unfairly Banned-Appeal In Process, Its been slow due to the sheer number of them

No, that actually is impossible. There's nothing out there that could let you hit often enough on the Beast, and let you heal yourself at the same time.

some vdeos on youtube are actually "challenging" eachother to see how much damage they can solo on the beast, last time i checked it was around 1000?? Might be more by now...

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

Actually Defil3d has been trying to solo it and I think she might just do it sometime soon, she got it down to 350 hp or something.

Well that's funny because I've seen her die three times just with a team. XD

I had a picture of it ("Defil3d has just died!") but unfortunately I forgot to save and some one shut down the computer. ;)

Even if a person did manage to beat it solo (which is certainly a challenge I imagine), the rewards would be pitiful. I'm talking about something challenging, but at the same time something that is incredibly rewarding (players would not fight the beast if its highest drop was a few mahogany planks). Let's face it, if a 138 soloer was lucky to kill the beast, he most likely failed many other times. Infact, just the average drop wouldn't make up for the millions on supplies he has probably spent.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Actually Defil3d has been trying to solo it and I think she might just do it sometime soon, she got it down to 350 hp or something.

Well that's funny because I've seen her die three times just with a team. XD

I had a picture of it ("Defil3d has just died!") but unfortunately I forgot to save and some one shut down the computer. ;)

Even if a person did manage to beat it solo (which is certainly a challenge I imagine), the rewards would be pitiful. I'm talking about something challenging, but at the same time something that is incredibly rewarding (players would not fight the beast if its highest drop was a few mahogany planks). Let's face it, if a 138 soloer was lucky to kill the beast, he most likely failed many other times. Infact, just the average drop wouldn't make up for the millions on supplies he has probably spent.

But for those that are super rich, it's the accomplishment that matters. Especially being he FIRST to solo the beast.

But yes Sosolid2k proposed a challenge to anyone to see how much hp you can take off the beast solo.... Lots of basic rules.

I guarantee someone will solo-kill the Corporeal Beast.

They really are limited as to the high level raid content they can make. They have to deal with the 99 HP max of players. Once they implement a solution to our pathetic HP max they can really come out with some great raid content for this game. I'm willing to be millions that's the main topic of their design meetings these days.

NINJA EDIT.

They could implement a solution for us to mitigate damage better. IE a healing spell so a team could set up a healing rotation on a few tanks. This would allow us to keep our lame 99 HP max, mitigate more damage for a longer time and give them the flexibility to create harder content.

Fools_Taco.png

They really are limited as to the high level raid content they can make. They have to deal with the 99 HP max of players. Once they implement a solution to our pathetic HP max they can really come out with some great raid content for this game. I'm willing to be millions that's the main topic of their design meetings these days.

NINJA EDIT.

They could implement a solution for us to mitigate damage better. IE a healing spell so a team could set up a healing rotation on a few tanks. This would allow us to keep our lame 99 HP max, mitigate more damage for a longer time and give them the flexibility to create harder content.

Or you know, add armour that lower the damage being done! :o

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

quadruple digit monster <3:<3:

i haven't had members for a while now so i haven't even seen this monster first hand so i;ve no idea how tough it is, but in my oppinion no matter how hard a monster brought out is, players will always keep going and going until they find it's weaknesses and strategies to best exploit those weaknesses.

capesn.png

My capes in the order they were achieved

Guthans.

My goals:
[b]5M coins:[/b] 4350K+ coins 200k+ items - 2 dec 
5M coins - 16 dec
I [b]have gotten[/b] my 5M by christmas.

-bah this is only here for historical purposes now, I got 20m+ already

"fail,well atleast the title,i wont read it with that colours"

"If you hadn't posted in rainbow I would actually give this a proper read"

"Colours suck."

*I remove colours*

"Where did all the colors go!? This is now 40% more likely to be tl;dr'd due to the lack of colors."

Responding to the part in bold:

Keep in mind the number 99 means NOTHING. There is no difference between 99 HP on RS or 5000 HP points on another game. Its all where the proportion is.

I know a common other mmorpg game people play, some players have 5k+ HP, but keep in mind the low level monsters there hit 200+ damage. The only difference on RS is that the numbers are based in a smaller ammount instead of hugly spread out.

Example: If you have 5000 hp, and a low level monster hits a 250 on you, thats 5% of your hitpoints. The equilivent would be hitting a 4-5 on RS. Some of the higher monsters/players are hitting 2-3k+ damage per hit easily. In proportion to RS, its about the same as a boss monster hitting a 50-60 on you. So you see its all about proportion.

Just because we only have 99 hp, dosent mean RS's HP system is any harder or easier than other games. Its all based on how monsters hit in relation to the max HP level. Therefore it really dosent need to be changed from 99.

EDIT: If you raise the HP cap on RS, then everything drops in proportion, and becomes easy again. Changing monsters from hitting 50% of your hitpoints to 30% by raising the HP cap thus takes out any challenge of killing a boss monster. All it would do is make new monsters just as hard as the current ones, and make the current ones to easy.

dawnsigblue-3.png

I hate to point this out but your title says thrist instead of thirst...

Anywho...

I honestly think that Corporeal Beast is enough to keep us satisfied for the moment, but I agree with you when you say we need more bosses where you HAVE to have a team and they HAVE to be well organised. I want to see a boss where 100s of people have to go in and experiment and tele out or die before a way is found to kill it, but even then it's still very difficult.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

In my opinion, Jagex needs to work on AI issues. If a boss is truly going to be a challenge, it should be able to avoid 'cheap shots'.

Honestly I find it sad that most monsters can't maneuver around a rock so it can attack it's target. I know some people swear by using obstacles, but at least the monsters should be able to put up a fair fight.

Most of these guides you see typically examine the cheap spots of a given monster so people can effectively kill it.

I anticipate this kind of update soon:

The Corporeal Best has grown a sharp dislike to cannons, and will do whatever it takes to destroy them. This would be hardcore.

jirenma2001.png

Responding to the part in bold:

Keep in mind the number 99 means NOTHING. There is no difference between 99 HP on RS or 5000 HP points on another game. Its all where the proportion is.

I know a common other mmorpg game people play, some players have 5k+ HP, but keep in mind the low level monsters there hit 200+ damage. The only difference on RS is that the numbers are based in a smaller ammount instead of hugly spread out.

Example: If you have 5000 hp, and a low level monster hits a 250 on you, thats 5% of your hitpoints. The equilivent would be hitting a 4-5 on RS. Some of the higher monsters/players are hitting 2-3k+ damage per hit easily. In proportion to RS, its about the same as a boss monster hitting a 50-60 on you. So you see its all about proportion.

Just because we only have 99 hp, dosent mean RS's HP system is any harder or easier than other games. Its all based on how monsters hit in relation to the max HP level. Therefore it really dosent need to be changed from 99.

EDIT: If you raise the HP cap on RS, then everything drops in proportion, and becomes easy again. Changing monsters from hitting 50% of your hitpoints to 30% by raising the HP cap thus takes out any challenge of killing a boss monster. All it would do is make new monsters just as hard as the current ones, and make the current ones to easy.

I get what you are saying but our ability to mitigate damage needs some work. If they don't we are left with this mess that we have now... if anyone has done the corpral beast you know what i mean. There isn't much strat its all running like a noob under the boss and eating.

There needs to be a fundamental change in the game to accommodate raid content if thats the way they want to go. I don't know what they are planning we will have to wait and see.

You have to admit that the corpal beast is runescape raid 1.0 though.

Fools_Taco.png