Windows 7

Nadril

Uh oh *awaits the complaints that "Microsoft copied Mac OS X"*

I personally don't mind it, but I still prefer Vista. I have a thing for start menus. (I'm sure they'll have an option for reverting back to that style anyway.)

j0xPu5R.png

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<<<Quote Snip>>>

You sure what you're speaking of wasn't more like circa 1986??? :? ... I'm sure that stronger PCs had arrived by 1993, otherwise ID Software's "DOOM" would have been a pain to play. :-k

~D. V. "Temporal Confusion..." Devnull

No that sounds about right.
Actually, it seems I happen to be dead-on as to the era... Stronger systems had arrived by 1993, which places the "32 KB RAM with 50 MB HD" specs well before that. Have a look at the following...

http://ltelite.cybtonic.com/introduction.htm

...as well as several links trailing off of it... Such as an article from Bnet, which you'll find about two links away. :geek:

<*DVD stares behind his self at a "Compaq LTE Lite 4/33C" from the era, remembering the days when he used to play ID Software's "DOOM" demo on it, then smiles fiendishly... For him, those were the days. :twisted: ...*>

I personally don't mind it, but I still prefer Vista. I have a thing for start menus. (I'm sure they'll have an option for reverting back to that style anyway.)

We can only hope, Killerred005... LOL! :lol:

~D. V. "Old stuff... What sweet memories..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Who would complain? They'd be dumb not to adapt some of the features that makes Mac OS X superior.

tFtfA.jpg

Yes, but its technically illegal to own an hackint0sh.

I do not like it, looks like they just copied kde or something.

Until they allow multiple desktop, a built in dock with 3d effects, and something like compiz fusion, I will run any windows applications in WINE. Sadly, Microsoft always copies stuff from either Linux or Macs, and claim it as their "innovation." I really hope they stuff bundling IE with windows though, because that gives it an undeserving large market share, but that will never happen. WINE is awesome \' .

IMO, if Snow Leopard doesn't add anything significant, Windows 7 will be considered better by most unbiased and intelligent people, that are just comparing the operating system, and not the hardware.

I really hope that Microsoft gives credit to the open source community for all the help it gives them. Sadly, since it is open-source, Microsoft can rip it off and sell it, without mentioning any thanks.

WIndows 7 will have to be revolutionary for me to switch from Ubuntu, which runs with compiz fusion perfectly fine with a measly 512mb RAM.

[hide=]

<<<Quote Snip>>>

You sure what you're speaking of wasn't more like circa 1986??? :? ... I'm sure that stronger PCs had arrived by 1993, otherwise ID Software's "DOOM" would have been a pain to play. :-k

~D. V. "Temporal Confusion..." Devnull

No that sounds about right.
Actually, it seems I happen to be dead-on as to the era... Stronger systems had arrived by 1993, which places the "32 KB RAM with 50 MB HD" specs well before that. Have a look at the following...

http://ltelite.cybtonic.com/introduction.htm

...as well as several links trailing off of it... Such as an article from Bnet, which you'll find about two links away. :geek:

<*DVD stares behind his self at a "Compaq LTE Lite 4/33C" from the era, remembering the days when he used to play ID Software's "DOOM" demo on it, then smiles fiendishly... For him, those were the days. :twisted: ...*>

We can only hope, Killerred005... LOL! :lol:

~D. V. "Old stuff... What sweet memories..." Devnull

[/hide]

I'm talking about 1990 and you are talking about 1992-1993. It's like assuming processors in the 2005 line and processors in the 2008 line have the same processing power, plus 1 gb HD came out in about 1992. Were seen on people's computers as often as a single 1.5TB hard drive these days.

Until they allow multiple desktop, a built in dock with 3d effects, and something like compiz fusion, I will run any windows applications in WINE. Sadly, Microsoft always copies stuff from either Linux or Macs

Why reinvent a wheel?

A company name like theirs, I would think, would refer to "small, feature-packed, nice software"... Not a pack of bloated elephants. :P
Interestingly enough, Windows 7 will make use of the windows micro kernel, just 40 megabytes in size. A nice improvement from the what, 1 gigabiclycle or more?

Isn't Vista kernel 3.3 MB?

Until they allow multiple desktop, a built in dock with 3d effects, and something like compiz fusion, I will run any windows applications in WINE.

Copied KDE? The hell you say. Since Vista came before KDE4, it looks like they copied from Vista, from my perspective. (Note that I first started to use KDE when I was into Linux; abandoned it because it looked too much like Windows.)

Also, there are a lot of things that are protected by the GPL in Linux, so you'll probably never see them in a Windows box (namely something a-la Compiz Fusion).

Until they allow multiple desktop, a built in dock with 3d effects, and something like compiz fusion, I will run any windows applications in WINE. Sadly, Microsoft always copies stuff from either Linux or Macs

Why reinvent a wheel?

Hypocrisy. Trust me, if they copied anything, they'd really be seen as hypocrites to the computer field; the one company that litigates so damn hard for their own patents can't be seen copying stuff from competitors.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Looks good, stripping stuff off is good.

Ideally, they'd give us a bare bone operating system that is quick and efficient, then users can add their own apps, bloat it with themes, whatever.

I'd rather have something basic with the extras available, rather than Microsoft bloating it with all these extra features we "might" need.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

Until they allow multiple desktop, a built in dock with 3d effects, and something like compiz fusion, I will run any windows applications in WINE. Sadly, Microsoft always copies stuff from either Linux or Macs, and claim it as their "innovation." I really hope they stuff bundling IE with windows though, because that gives it an undeserving large market share, but that will never happen. WINE is awesome \' .

IMO, if Snow Leopard doesn't add anything significant, Windows 7 will be considered better by most unbiased and intelligent people, that are just comparing the operating system, and not the hardware.

I really hope that Microsoft gives credit to the open source community for all the help it gives them. Sadly, since it is open-source, Microsoft can rip it off and sell it, without mentioning any thanks.

WIndows 7 will have to be revolutionary for me to switch from Ubuntu, which runs with compiz fusion perfectly fine with a measly 512mb RAM.

Hackintosh are legal if you buy your own copy of Mac OS X. Its been a good two years since I've really looked into it hackintosh so I'm not 100% sure on that. http://www.insanelymac.com/ is a site that I check biweekly and it is mainly a hackintosh website, one of the popular ones.

In Snow Leopard their are some of the biggest changes since Tiger I believe. I couldn't find the exact article I was looking for but these will do:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08 ... _more.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08 ... cocoa.html

tFtfA.jpg

A company name like theirs, I would think, would refer to "small, feature-packed, nice software"... Not a pack of bloated elephants. :P
Interestingly enough, Windows 7 will make use of the windows micro kernel, just 40 megabytes in size. A nice improvement from the what, 1 gigabiclycle or more?
Isn't Vista kernel 3.3 MB?
Sure as crap not. It's freaking huge right now. The Linux kernel, I beleive, is about 20-30 megabytes. Don't quote me on that, I could be completely in the forest.

C2b6gs7.png

Hypocrisy. Trust me, if they copied anything, they'd really be seen as hypocrites to the computer field; the one company that litigates so damn hard for their own patents can't be seen copying stuff from competitors.

How many different ways can you really make an OS though? Plus Windows 7 looks nothing like Leopard.

[hide=Much text]

Hackintosh are legal if you buy your own copy of Mac OS X. Its been a good two years since I've really looked into it hackintosh so I'm not 100% sure on that. http://www.insanelymac.com/ is a site that I check biweekly and it is mainly a hackintosh website, one of the popular ones.

In Snow Leopard their are some of the biggest changes since Tiger I believe. I couldn't find the exact article I was looking for but these will do:

[/hide]

"hackintosh" is illegal. You are not allowed, even if you've bought the OS, to install it on any product than a mac.

Read the EULA.

And i don't know why someone said it looks like OSX, because it doesn't.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

"If you use a Macintosh or an iPhone, which honestly I would not recommend, you would be using code that I wrote more than 25 years ago,"

What a silly man.

Apples does not want you to put their OS onto any other system that does not bare the Apple logo. The only way you can legally get an Mac onto a PC is to buy from Phystar. However, they've filed a lawsuit against Apple, because they thought Apple copied their version of the Mac Pro. While the two settled their difference, without going to court (Phystar knew they would lose :roll: ), it's still not the best move to buy from them, as their company isn't a major name, and it is possible that Apple could release an update to make sure that their OS will not function without using Intel processors, or other differences in the two.

Also, Snow Leopard isn't a major appearance change, much like Windows 7. It will primarily change how the system uses its memory, improve usage for multi processors, change from Carbon to Cocoa, improve upon OS 10.5's 64-bit capabilities, support for blu-ray, and a major limit to the capabilities of memory, up to 16TB, and most of all, improve preformance and stability.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Also, Snow Leopard isn't a major appearance change, much like Windows 7. It will primarily change how the system uses its memory, improve usage for multi processors, change from Carbon to Cocoa, improve upon OS 10.5's 64-bit capabilities, support for blu-ray, and a major limit to the capabilities of memory, up to 16TB, and most of all, improve preformance and stability.

What? Windows 7 is a ton of tweaks as well, you can't take hearing one part of windows 7 and simply assume that is it. Part of what they are trying to do is make it so that the OS is more intuitive to use, what with the new taskbar and all that.

And really you can already watch blue ray videos with a blue ray player on a vista based (and XP I assume) computer, you already have the 64 bit capabilities (you can't just make it so that it can use "more" ram, its going to have a limitation based around the fact that it is only 64 bit).

Also Windows 7 seems to be making major strides in performance and stability as well. Not as if it really needs more stability, haven't had a windows related crash in years. Speaking of macs though, the one I was using just yesterday froze up from some flash based site on firefox. And in true OSX fashion it doesn't crash, oh no, it freezes -- requiring a hard restart.

What? Windows 7 is a ton of tweaks as well, you can't take hearing one part of windows 7 and simply assume that is it. Part of what they are trying to do is make it so that the OS is more intuitive to use, what with the new taskbar and all that.

And really you can already watch blue ray videos with a blue ray player on a vista based (and XP I assume) computer, you already have the 64 bit capabilities (you can't just make it so that it can use "more" ram, its going to have a limitation based around the fact that it is only 64 bit).

Also Windows 7 seems to be making major strides in performance and stability as well. Not as if it really needs more stability, haven't had a windows related crash in years. Speaking of macs though, the one I was using just yesterday froze up from some flash based site on firefox. And in true OSX fashion it doesn't crash, oh no, it freezes -- requiring a hard restart.

I was talking about Snow Leopard, and the limit, so I hear is a theoretical 16TB. Snow Leopard isn't an entirely new GUI, like XP was to Vista; I was comparing the two. You can't watch blu-ray on Leopard, which is also what I was talking about. Again, the stability, Snow Leopard.

Also, I'm sure they could be a number of variables related to the crash. Abode is supported by Mac. Who's to say that specific time wasn't the first time it crashed in years? Just a thought.

To accommodate the enormous amounts of memory being added to advanced hardware, Snow Leopard extends the 64-bit technology in Mac OS X to support breakthrough amounts of RAM up to a theoretical 16TB, or 500 times more than what is possible today. More RAM makes applications run faster, because more of their data can be kept in the very fast physical RAM instead of on the much slower hard disk.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

I have had my MacBook Pro crash on me once relatively soon after I had installed Leopard on it. But as Laura0077 said, snow leopard is to help stabilize the OS.

tFtfA.jpg

[hide=]

I was talking about Snow Leopard, and the limit, so I hear is a theoretical 16TB. Snow Leopard isn't an entirely new GUI, like XP was to Vista; I was comparing the two. You can't watch blu-ray on Leopard, which is also what I was talking about. Again, the stability, Snow Leopard.

Also, I'm sure they could be a number of variables related to the crash. Abode is supported by Mac. Who's to say that specific time wasn't the first time it crashed in years? Just a thought.

To accommodate the enormous amounts of memory being added to advanced hardware, Snow Leopard extends the 64-bit technology in Mac OS X to support breakthrough amounts of RAM up to a theoretical 16TB, or 500 times more than what is possible today. More RAM makes applications run faster, because more of their data can be kept in the very fast physical RAM instead of on the much slower hard disk.
[/hide]

16TB? The words can not explain how expensive it will be, especially if it comes from Apple, so I will use a smiley face: shok.gif

16TB? The words can not explain how expensive it will be, especially if it comes from Apple, so I will use a smiley face:

Dunno if you're joking, but I doubt we'll be seeing more than 8GB-16GB of ram for a while.

My point was is that I don't see the point in saying Snow leopard will be able to do that when windows already can.

And I'm sure Macs can do some things Windows can't. New iMacs are said to be have a blu-ray drive, but who knows. Blu-ray hasn't hit the market hard enough yet because of sheer price. $300 for a blu-ray drive? No thanks. I'm sure we'll see blu-ray lowering prices on drives and then taking over like the change from VHS to DVD.

16TB? The words can not explain how expensive it will be, especially if it comes from Apple, so I will use a smiley face: shok.gif

I think the only reason they're raising the limit is for servers. They already sell servers, and I'm sure the limit on there can get crowded at times. Anything higher than 64GB (Mac Pro) won't really be sold by Apple (and I'm sure we all know enough not to buy RAM from them), that's more for the big companies, like Google, that need to hold websites like that. And even then we won't nearly start seeing anyone approach 16TB for common use.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

"If you use a Macintosh or an iPhone, which honestly I would not recommend, you would be using code that I wrote more than 25 years ago,"

What a silly man.

You do realize that what he said is entirely true?

:wall: What part of 64 bit do people not understand?

C2b6gs7.png

My point was is that I don't see the point in saying Snow leopard will be able to do that when windows already can.

And I'm sure Macs can do some things Windows can't. New iMacs are said to be have a blu-ray drive, but who knows. Blu-ray hasn't hit the market hard enough yet because of sheer price. $300 for a blu-ray drive? No thanks. I'm sure we'll see blu-ray lowering prices on drives and then taking over like the change from VHS to DVD.

You do know that Windows PCs had the blu-ray drive for a while?

You do know that Windows PCs had the blu-ray drive for a while?

Exactly. That and she seems to think that 64 bit is something new, when windows has had it for ages.