What Game(s) Did You Last Get and What Are You Playing?

runescapeloser22

Pre-ordered Project Cars for PC, am both dissapointed and happy with it. I'm interested in sim racing, and I actually have a dedicated little cockpit my friend and I made with a bucket seat and G27 to enjoy sim racing. I normally play Assetto Corsa and have been meaning to play rFactor, iRacing and others, and school just ended so now I'll have time. Dirt Rally is fun too. 

Anyways with pCars. The hype for a physics driven game was real. That freight train was insane, and I was contributing to it. Once I sat down and played the game, I'm dissapointed with the physics. It's basically Forza for PC: a shiny game with lots of cars and tracks. The tracks aren't even laser scanned from what I know. That sucks. The handling is a bit quirky and the AI are pretty intense. 

If anyone wants to add me on Steam, search me up

WhiteyGotGame

I usually leave steam open JIC anyone wants to do anything. I have a very expansive library, so I probably have something you're interested in playing co-op :p

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

Bought Witcher 3 a few days ago, haven't had a real chance to play it, I want to complete both TW1 and 2 completely before moving on to 3 (should also give CDPR some time to fix out the bugs).

There are some performance issues with regards to HairWorks, but there are tweaks that would help, especially for AMD owners, but not an awful lot is lost if you want to switch it off.

The game barely uses over 2GB of VRAM, so anyone with 3GB or more, you should not be bottlenecked by the RAM. I do however recommend at least a GTX 970 or AMD 290 for this game at 1080p, SLI 970's or 980's, or a Titan X for 1440p, and SLI Titan X for 4k. The VRAM segmentation is not an issue with Witcher 3 for the 970, and so far SLI 970's is able to run TW3 with almost everything maxed out without hitches. High is definitely manageable with that setup.

Right now 970 and 980's are being bundled with both TW3 and Arkham Knight, and TW3 is already proven to be a stunning game and the developers can be trusted to iron out the bugs, 970 would be an excellent value right now for 1080p or less.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

So The Witcher 3 is treating me really well so far. The game is beautiful, smooth, and extremely fun. The combat feels a lot better than it was in TW2, even though it's not really that much different. I've spent about 4 or 5 hours on it already and i feel like i've done absolutely nothing thus far. It's awesome. I feel like this game is going to keep me busy for a pretty long time.

Bought Witcher 3 a few days ago, haven't had a real chance to play it, I want to complete both TW1 and 2 completely before moving on to 3 (should also give CDPR some time to fix out the bugs).

There are some performance issues with regards to HairWorks, but there are tweaks that would help, especially for AMD owners, but not an awful lot is lost if you want to switch it off.

The game barely uses over 2GB of VRAM, so anyone with 3GB or more, you should not be bottlenecked by the RAM. I do however recommend at least a GTX 970 or AMD 290 for this game at 1080p, SLI 970's or 980's, or a Titan X for 1440p, and SLI Titan X for 4k. The VRAM segmentation is not an issue with Witcher 3 for the 970, and so far SLI 970's is able to run TW3 with almost everything maxed out without hitches. High is definitely manageable with that setup.

Right now 970 and 980's are being bundled with both TW3 and Arkham Knight, and TW3 is already proven to be a stunning game and the developers can be trusted to iron out the bugs, 970 would be an excellent value right now for 1080p or less.

what about framerates? those are important too. I try not to dip under 40-50fps. It looks gross.

So The Witcher 3 is treating me really well so far. The game is beautiful, smooth, and extremely fun. The combat feels a lot better than it was in TW2, even though it's not really that much different. I've spent about 4 or 5 hours on it already and i feel like i've done absolutely nothing thus far. It's awesome. I feel like this game is going to keep me busy for a pretty long time.

My buddy got it and was saying the same stuff. He doesn't have it maxed and it still looks fairly decent. I think he's on a 750ti, not sure though. Not something powerful, like any of the new cards

Theeeeere we go! I have found Age of Empires for windows! Gonna give it a go tonight. :/

the original one or what?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221380/

on another note, it doesn't really have to do with this thread but for fellow PC enthusiasts, the new AMD 3xx series cards are dropping in June supposedly. I've heard rumors that these are going to be BEASTLY. I've heard of low temps, lots of VRAM, lots of power, 22nm technology... I'm curious to see what these cards can do, my buddy is running 5760x1080 (tri monitor) and a 1920x1080 40" tv all on his GTX 970, no OC, and if these cards appeal to him he's gonna get one or two. He can get 40-50fps in lots of games but he isn't maxed, which he'd like to be. He has the money, so upgrading if they're worth it isn't a problem. but in light of all these Nvidia "scandal" type things happening (nvidia is having studios write game engines and whatnot using their 'physix' stuff, causing amd cards to run piss poor) im worried he's gonna get boned

I didn't read this one, but it has the right jist to the title and whatnot. 

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/05/amd-says-nvidias-gameworks-completely-sabotaged-witcher-3-performance/

also recently, Project Cars was discovered to run poorly on AMD cards as well. Like REALLY badly.

thoughts?

max.png 50.png

Theeeeere we go! I have found Age of Empires for windows! Gonna give it a go tonight. :/

AoE2 was the shit still love it even after all these years

my buddies and I still play it from time to time on steam

max.png 50.png

what about framerates? those are important too. I try not to dip under 40-50fps. It looks gross.

My buddy got it and was saying the same stuff. He doesn't have it maxed and it still looks fairly decent. I think he's on a 750ti, not sure though. Not something powerful, like any of the new cards

on another note, it doesn't really have to do with this thread but for fellow PC enthusiasts, the new AMD 3xx series cards are dropping in June supposedly. I've heard rumors that these are going to be BEASTLY. I've heard of low temps, lots of VRAM, lots of power, 22nm technology... I'm curious to see what these cards can do, my buddy is running 5760x1080 (tri monitor) and a 1920x1080 40" tv all on his GTX 970, no OC, and if these cards appeal to him he's gonna get one or two. He can get 40-50fps in lots of games but he isn't maxed, which he'd like to be. He has the money, so upgrading if they're worth it isn't a problem. but in light of all these Nvidia "scandal" type things happening (nvidia is having studios write game engines and whatnot using their 'physix' stuff, causing amd cards to run piss poor) im worried he's gonna get boned

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/05/amd-says-nvidias-gameworks-completely-sabotaged-witcher-3-performance/

also recently, Project Cars was discovered to run poorly on AMD cards as well. Like REALLY badly.

thoughts?

I have G-Sync monitor (Swift to be exact) so the frame rate dips do not affect me as much. I can still notice it if it dips too low.

With regards to the 390x (so far the only confirmed new card in the 300 series is 390 and 390x, all others are rebrands), I do not really take those rumors into account, since none of the 390x rumor sites have yet to even speculate on its specs, the only actual confirmed stat is the VRAM, and initially it was dissappointing at 4GB. Unless HBM can somehow make that seem more than it is, I am keeping my opinion on the 390x squarely in check.

if 390x really does make titan X run for its money on its own, I would expect it to have 8GB VRAM, not 4GB. With the way games are not, I will not consider anything less than 6GB under any circumstances, 8GB at least if I were doing 4k.

Dx12 is slated to alleviate any VRAM issues, and would be great if it works, but my personal opinion on this matter is

1. It will require games to actually be programmed to take advantage of it, rather than a DX12 generic feature, just like all other DX related features.

2. It might actually cause both nVidia and AMD to actually have GPUs with not enough VRAM, and encourage us to buy multiple cards since VRAM stacks under DX12. In theory MS wanted to stop the VRAM runaway, but this DX12 might end up stopping VRAM growth on cards so the GPU makers can sell more cards.

That's my opinion anyway. The only card so far that has spec leaked that should compete agains 390x is the 980ti, 6GB with a few SMM's from Titan X cut off. It should be around 2 970's in SLI in performance, making it an ideal card for 1440p IMHO.

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

thoughts?

I have G-Sync monitor (Swift to be exact) so the frame rate dips do not affect me as much. I can still notice it if it dips too low.

With regards to the 390x (so far the only confirmed new card in the 300 series is 390 and 390x, all others are rebrands), I do not really take those rumors into account, since none of the 390x rumor sites have yet to even speculate on its specs, the only actual confirmed stat is the VRAM, and initially it was dissappointing at 4GB. Unless HBM can somehow make that seem more than it is, I am keeping my opinion on the 390x squarely in check.

if 390x really does make titan X run for its money on its own, I would expect it to have 8GB VRAM, not 4GB. With the way games are not, I will not consider anything less than 6GB under any circumstances, 8GB at least if I were doing 4k.

Dx12 is slated to alleviate any VRAM issues, and would be great if it works, but my personal opinion on this matter is

1. It will require games to actually be programmed to take advantage of it, rather than a DX12 generic feature, just like all other DX related features.

2. It might actually cause both nVidia and AMD to actually have GPUs with not enough VRAM, and encourage us to buy multiple cards since VRAM stacks under DX12. In theory MS wanted to stop the VRAM runaway, but this DX12 might end up stopping VRAM growth on cards so the GPU makers can sell more cards.

That's my opinion anyway. The only card so far that has spec leaked that should compete agains 390x is the 980ti, 6GB with a few SMM's from Titan X cut off. It should be around 2 970's in SLI in performance, making it an ideal card for 1440p IMHO.

Weren't the specs leaked by anand tech or something? icr

but if DX12 is all of my dreams come true with stacking vram, just imagine the potential of two 980's, let alone whatever cards come in the future

max.png 50.png

While I'd like to believe that, I'd put that down as too good to be true, and by the time the dx12 dream have been realised, 980's may already be obsolete.

And besides, DX12 doesn't solve GPU bottlenecking, 980's are still struggling in that regard, unless something really magical happens.

980ti specs were leaked, but I do not remember any credible 390x leak. The only leak (which I believe was said by AMD themselves) I have consistently heard of is that 390x was coming with 4GB vram, with 8GB coming later.

I don't have the credible evidence at the moment.

tim_chenw2.png

While I'd like to believe that, I'd put that down as too good to be true, and by the time the dx12 dream have been realised, 980's may already be obsolete.

And besides, DX12 doesn't solve GPU bottlenecking, 980's are still struggling in that regard, unless something really magical happens.

980ti specs were leaked, but I do not remember any credible 390x leak. The only leak (which I believe was said by AMD themselves) I have consistently heard of is that 390x was coming with 4GB vram, with 8GB coming later.

I don't have the credible evidence at the moment.

you mean 970s, not 980s? 970s have the 3.5gb problem

max.png 50.png

No, I mean 980's, even if you remove the VRAM bottleneck, 980's may still not have enough GPU power regardless, so making the benefit of being able to pool VRAM together rather moot. If the VRAM combination works as intended, it would work heavily in 970's favor as it would largely remove the segmentation issue (7+1GB would be much less of an issue, currently, than 3.5+0.5).

At least I do not see how it would make Multi-GPUs run better than they currently are, maybe improve scaling. VRAM is not an end-all be-all component of GPU, if you have enough, more won't help. DX12's VRAM pooling just pretty much makes sure you will have enough when you do Multi-GPU. Definitely a nice bonus to not having to worry about VRAM bottlenecking the cards, but if the cards were not being bottlenecked by VRAM in the first place, it would be a completely different story.

tim_chenw2.png

So i've pretty much been playing the shit out of The Witcher 3 since i got it. Totally in love with this game right now. I've gotten a hang of the combat and i'm doing much better than i did previously and in TW2. I'm using my Signs a lot more than i did as well. Partly because they seem a lot better in this game (and cooler) and partly because i actually realised how beneficial they can be. As always it's really hard to decide what to spend ability points on, and i'm pretty sure i'm not doing it right, but i'll figure that out eventually.

No, I mean 980's, even if you remove the VRAM bottleneck, 980's may still not have enough GPU power regardless, so making the benefit of being able to pool VRAM together rather moot. If the VRAM combination works as intended, it would work heavily in 970's favor as it would largely remove the segmentation issue (7+1GB would be much less of an issue, currently, than 3.5+0.5).

At least I do not see how it would make Multi-GPUs run better than they currently are, maybe improve scaling. VRAM is not an end-all be-all component of GPU, if you have enough, more won't help. DX12's VRAM pooling just pretty much makes sure you will have enough when you do Multi-GPU. Definitely a nice bonus to not having to worry about VRAM bottlenecking the cards, but if the cards were not being bottlenecked by VRAM in the first place, it would be a completely different story.

I was not aware of a bottlenecking problem with the 980? I know of a problem with the 970 as I stated it. obviously larger buses that can accommodate more as well as moving towards 22nm tech is a good start lol

max.png 50.png

I've recently purchased Rome: Total War™. Although it is quite old-school, I believe it's a splendid game so far. I am looking forward to investing more hours into my campaigns.  \:D/

irs.png

Check out my upcoming Progress thread in the spoiler!

imperatorrssig.png

*Currently postponed until further notice

I was not aware of a bottlenecking problem with the 980? I know of a problem with the 970 as I stated it. obviously larger buses that can accommodate more as well as moving towards 22nm tech is a good start lol

Well each GPU can only do so much before it gets bottlenecked by the chip itself in terms of performance. VRAM bottleneck being another kind of bottleneck that could limit the performance of a GPU. SLI alleviates the GPU bottleneck, not VRAM due to the way it does not stack, but DX12 would remove the VRAM, leaving the remaining GPU bottleneck intac again.

I agree die shrink would be a good start, it was just that Maxwell was just a message to the word that not every generation requires new processes to 'brute' force the performances :P

Back on topic, been playing Marvel 2015, quite enjoying it so far. Probably the first game I played that invoves marvel heroes.

tim_chenw2.png

Both excellent games.

I've been getting amongst the first Witcher, because I'm too poor. I got 10 hours in last time I played and it'll be a while before I see new stuff. It's pretty great, though.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Think i'm about 100 - 110 hours into The Witcher 3 right now, and i think i'm only about 60% done with it. This game is really big. So much to do, so much to explore. Really brings back memories from 3 years ago when i started playing Skyrim. This game is seriously fantastic, despite the one or two bugs i've encountered. I'm going to be sad when i'm done with it, because i don't see it as the type of game that you can really re-play.

Also, for some reason, a friend of mine randomly decided to buy me an Xbox One game. Sadly he got me one i already have, so i'll have to go exchange it tomorrow. Really not even sure what to get at this stage.

Got the Relic entertainment humble bundle.

Pretty massive value, and pretty much all the games are games that I like.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Well each GPU can only do so much before it gets bottlenecked by the chip itself in terms of performance. VRAM bottleneck being another kind of bottleneck that could limit the performance of a GPU. SLI alleviates the GPU bottleneck, not VRAM due to the way it does not stack, but DX12 would remove the VRAM, leaving the remaining GPU bottleneck intac again.

I agree die shrink would be a good start, it was just that Maxwell was just a message to the word that not every generation requires new processes to 'brute' force the performances :P

Back on topic, been playing Marvel 2015, quite enjoying it so far. Probably the first game I played that invoves marvel heroes.

You do understand how difficult it is to bottleneck a high-end gpu, don't you? 

Got the Relic entertainment humble bundle.

Pretty massive value, and pretty much all the games are games that I like.

I looked at it, I thought about getting it. Let me know which is your favorite and I'll take a look into it :)

max.png 50.png

Finally finished TW3 last night. Apparently i even got the "good" ending, which is nice. Really amazing game. Still have a few side quests/treasure hunts to finish then i'm pretty much done with the game. I did end up failing 3 side quests because i messed up at some point, but it's no big deal. Gotta admit, i was skeptic at first but TW3 turned out to be one of the best RPGs i have played in my life. I don't find that this kind of game has much replay value, but i'm going to do another playthrough of it without a doubt. Aaaand i got Lords of the Fallen today. 

Finally finished TW3 last night. Apparently i even got the "good" ending, which is nice. Really amazing game. Still have a few side quests/treasure hunts to finish then i'm pretty much done with the game. I did end up failing 3 side quests because i messed up at some point, but it's no big deal. Gotta admit, i was skeptic at first but TW3 turned out to be one of the best RPGs i have played in my life. I don't find that this kind of game has much replay value, but i'm going to do another playthrough of it without a doubt. Aaaand i got Lords of the Fallen today. 

I found TW2 to be kind of clunky in regards to the inventory, I just for some reason could never get anything to work so I barely played it. What can you tell me about this

max.png 50.png

I found TW2 to be kind of clunky in regards to the inventory, I just for some reason could never get anything to work so I barely played it. What can you tell me about this

For whatever reason i'm finding it hard to remember what TW2's inventory was like. But TW3's inventory is really easy to navigate, really easy to use. New items will always be first in their respective categories. There's different inventory "pages" for different types of items. I'd say it's probably similar to Dark Souls 2 in a way, but with less categories.