Grammar Grouching

Zierro

Why do some people take it so seriously if you make mistakes on the forums? Nobody is perfect and we all make errors every now and then. I mean as long as your posts are legible and easy to comprehend, why is there a problem? It's like yelling at someone because of something trivial like having their hat on crooked. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter whether someone said "should of" instead of "should have".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is because they think the person is doing it on purpose just to be funny, like writing teh instead of the. It could be a simple mistake, but a word like teh is used to so much that it is annoying. Plus it isn't that hard to make sure you have everything typed correctly. Just read it as you are writing it, and that way you don't make mistakes.

Plus, don't worry about it if someone crabs at your grammar while on the forums. What are they really going to do about it?

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Little people with inflated egos and percieving themselves to be above others. A normal person doesn't become a grammar nazi, usually there's overly strict parenting, maybe despising your own physical looks, social exclusion, disappointments in life that lead a person into nitpicking and belittling people over details.

People that write stuff incorrectly on purpose are slightly annoying though. Also I'll be honest, when I see a "meme" I sometimes get homicidal urges. Really, once something has been used a million times before, it's not funny anymore -.-

Zierro, that would be hat on crookedly.

Who could you possibly be talking about with this post?

I'm perplexed.

The guy who complained about someone making a grammatical error, even though he said "I wasn't trying to be a grammatically-critical".

Plus, crookedly is an adverb and crooked is an adjective. I see you edited that first sentence out though. :lol:

And, has anyone ever heard the saying: "it's the little things in life that make the biggest difference"?

Maybe so, but that's rarely the case. It's more likely to be some pedantic correction which makes no difference to how the corrector understands the post.

What pisses me off the most is when grammar Nazis act as if they don't know what you're talking about because of one tiny typo. You know, when they repeat what you've said, typo and all, acting completely oblivious when they know exactly what you're talking about. That kind of thing is really snide and condescending.

As I said in another topic, people usually point out mistakes to stab at the poster on a personal level, as well as stray away from the topic at hand, often because the critic cannot formulate an intelligent response to the person.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

I did edit my post, because I felt it was unnecessary to add.

But, in response, the correct word choice would be crookedly.

And, has anyone ever heard the saying: "it's the little things in life that make the biggest difference"?

I'm out.

Flame on, TIF, flame on.

"Crookedly" would imply that the way in which someone placed the hat (verb) was crooked since it is an adverb. "Crooked" implies that the hat (noun) is crooked after someone has placed it on their head which is what I meant.

It doesn't matter though. The point of this thread is that we should be tolerant about mistakes.

I don't even understand why people get so annoyed at people who obviously have terrible skills in spelling and grammar (e.g. TheChamp). Unless you're an absolute imbecile, it's not actually that hard to figure out what they're saying, even if they misspell every second word. In my experience, grammar Nazis tend to be those who use their internet access as an opportunity to try and boost their egos. Get over yourselves.

Cool.

straightjacket.jpg

Fine,all grammar is.

Comma exists,that is all.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

"Should of" infuriates me.

It is wrong. It looks dumb. It sounds dumb.

It makes me want to kill people.

Agree, but then again I find it almost purely an american phenomena, not a British English one.. I speak English as a 3rd language and always found it a bit weird... "I didn't have the guts to ask if he had the money". "You should of!" :x Wondering where this stuff spawns from...

Likely, it originates from kids using 'bad english' and it carries all the way to adulthood without people realizing it makes no sense.

On the same note, I really hate when people say "I could care less". UGH, it makes me wonder if people ever actually think about what they're saying.

Well,its right if they care marginally...

I do hate when people add unneeded words though.PNS syndrome-PIN Number Syndrome syndrome-Personal Identification Number Number Syndrome syndrome.I mean,really?

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

BlueLancer, I'm not sure about an English accent, but in an American midwest accent, if you're talking relatively fast, "should have" sounds a lot like "should of". I think people just hear it, and think it's "should of". When I talk, it feels awkward to say out "should have" so I tend to blur them together slightly.

snowsigyy7.png