Tip.It Times Presents: Completing the Triangle

n_odie

That can be fixed so easily - for example. a new spellbook that's effects are tied to the fact that you're wearing a staff. (Take off the staff, the person unfreezes, ect)

Don't act so defeatist about it, the truth is magic desperately needs something to be effective, and the problems that a more powerful spellbook might bring to the table can be dealt with during development.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually after some thoughts i figured something out...

Melee gives alot more combat levels than magic does...

making a 99 mage have a very low combat level

a meleer at the same combat level won't be that strong tbh.

The thing is that people do train melee too wich gives them extra combat levels and thus making it harder to K0 only with magic on players at the same level.

It is the same with ranged in pvp. if a person is high leveled (120+) he won't really be able to own a meleer only with ranged...

so if they should change magic they would have to change ranged too and.... dum dum DUM!

THEY WOULD HAVE TO REVAMB THE WHOLE COMBAT SYSTEM!!!

if magic is gonna be more powerfull it would have to have a bigger impact on your combat level...

also it would make mage/melee hybrids the most powerfull pvp'ers with no one able to challenge them...

So what i am saying is that magic isn't really underpowered in the end... it just isn't possible to get it into high combat

Oh my goodness thank you! i always noticed the combat level things and its totally true. Tbh though, i dont think they'r gonna revamp the whole combat system anytime soon though, you know?

And i still don't get it with all this "mage needs def spells." as has alredy been pointed out, that is exactly what prayer is for!

And wats up with all this mage cant beat melee, i pvp often and i can never handle a high lvl mage well if i have on melee armour.

and lastly, whats wrong with the usual freeze and run technique? i had always thought that mage was too over powered for that! i was happy when the zammy gs came out with the freezing special, but as we all know, magers could already do that. you freeze, rune away, and pwn with blood spells. sheesh. idk if you all can tell, but being frozen for 20 seconds(as short as it sounds) is a long time, especially in pvp.

In closing, anything new is welcome, even in mage, but i think theres enough power for mages already. Although on the subject of range...thats a whole nother story! especially for f2p.

Dude, you have 67 magic. You are destined to get pwned by mages.

Magic is horribly underpowered. Look at range tanks. All the way up to max level, they're effective against melee. A tank ranger will give one hell of a fight to melee, and melee is supposed to own range.

Now, put a mage against a ranger. Screwt. The ranger won't even break a sweat.

Heck, as I've proved time and time again, mages have a major headache just trying to kill melee. They have very low damage, very high cost, ineffective armor, low accuracy, no ko.

Magic is completely useless as anything but a sidearm for holding people for range or melee hybrids.

now you're just kidding me right? there in no ranger that i've come across my lvl(sometimes higher) that has ever been able to kill me and my barrows armour. i also honestly doubt there will be one anytime soon, tank ranging or not. and if mage is soo under powered, why then is everyone striving to get ancient at castle wars? after all, its either that or gs's and melee. truth is you barely see anyone who even wants to bring range armour ffs. the combat triangle is still in effect every1. so dont be fooled. mage pwns. even if u have good defence and/or attack, what's the point if you cant hit them? they never die, you run out of food, and that's that.

BTW, im getting my mage up... \' :P

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

now you're just kidding me right? there in no ranger that i've come across my lvl(sometimes higher) that has ever been able to kill me and my barrows armour. i also honestly doubt there will be one anytime soon, tank ranging or not. and if mage is soo under powered, why then is everyone striving to get ancient at castle wars? after all, its either that or gs's and melee. truth is you barely see anyone who even wants to bring range armour ffs. the combat triangle is still in effect every1. so dont be fooled. mage pwns. even if u have good defence and/or attack, what's the point if you cant hit them? they never die, you run out of food, and that's that.

BTW, im getting my mage up... \' :P

Sure mage is quite useful in tactical games like castle wars where having some decent mages will turn the tide of the game. But in pvp by itself there is no way you will win a 1 vs. 1 fight with any ranger and most meleers.

lebst.png

A very good article. For me, magic's main use is for sure to make things go faster. I don't know how many times I have teleported myself by now, but it sure is quite a few times (My magic level is 82). But I have also used magic for combat quite a few times. I trained my magic by doing a lot of barrowing before, and I have also trained magic by throwing fire blasts at giants.

Since I haven't done DT or any of the Lunar quests I can't say anything about them, except that I'm longing for gaining those two spellbooks aswell.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

mmk in cw u can attack more than 1 person at a time and u have no risk of losing anything at all so u can farcast to ur hearts desire but in pvp u attack 1 person every1 labels u as a farcaster (which is bs tbh if ur usin mage to freeze some1 and standing right next to them letting them completely murder ur defenseless armor/self ur kinda an idiot :lol:) then some1 else will attack u while ur tryin to murder the now pretty much defenseless guy u started attacking so now u have to attack this other dude allowing the first guy to attack u once hes unfrozen or ne1 else that wants in on the action creating a viscious cycle of u using all ur runes/food (cause when a new person attacks u they will hit u due to ur armors horrible defense) and eventually dying/teleporting to safety making it imo not a viable option for pvp by itself although obviously using vengeance while meleeing or range vs. ranging u got a shot

so unless its made to were while u r maging some1 from a safe distance (not farcasting <- should b a 4 letter word lol) u r still considered in combat with that person and no1 else can attack u, ancients (being the only barely viable option for p2p pking) is out of the question

as far as another spellbook goes its not needed we already got 3 having nemore would be confusing and a handful to keep up with but earths do need a home seeing as how fire air and water already got 1 :D

null20defsig.jpg

Dk drops: 37 Barrows: 11 Dragon: 33 Visage: 2 Whip: 5 Dark Bow: 1

hhank_hilll.png

mmh3.jpg

A triangular prism has 4 sides ;]

and on the article, it was orite i s'pose. Lacked a bit of personality, was more a review rather than a opinion.

still well wrote and a good read.

oo, he has a point w/ the triangle thing. lolz =D :thumbsup: :lol:

and yes, all the problems you are all talking about can be fixed by giving mage robes better def bonuses.

also, i believe jagex has good reasons for having things the way they do. if they feel something is needed in the future, im sure they'll provide it. :)

Dpattle.png[hide=]

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

The whole entire point of mage is to kill someone BEFORE they hit you, this is why i can see no point in defensive spells, and does anyone remember prayer? that's what its there for to defend and or boost

and mage in f2p is slightly underpowered but its not horrible

and if you use ancients then your extremely strong its rare i see a meleer take down a mage with ancients p2p mage is not underpowered, in fact it is purely offence that's why there's no defensive spells

(if you want to know why i'm saying its purely offensive refer to my other post)

*I am not disagreeing that mage has weak defense*

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

a deffensive mage is usually a priest or monk (in the games) the priest part is the lunar spells (boosting the party members) and the monk is the prayer book as the guy above me stated .. if there are going to be new deffensive spells most likely they will be part of the lunar spell book ...

I wonder what the most powerful non-mem combat spell is... and it was a good read btw :thumbup:

Fireblast...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The whole entire point of mage is to kill someone BEFORE they hit you, this is why i can see no point in defensive spells, and does anyone remember prayer? that's what its there for to defend and or boost

and mage in f2p is slightly underpowered but its not horrible

and if you use ancients then your extremely strong its rare i see a meleer take down a mage with ancients p2p mage is not underpowered, in fact it is purely offence that's why there's no defensive spells

(if you want to know why i'm saying its purely offensive refer to my other post)

*I am not disagreeing that mage has weak defense*

i must say...THANK YOU! everything i've tried to say summed up. :thumbsup: \' :D =D>

Dpattle.png[hide=]

[/hide]

I wonder what the most powerful non-mem combat spell is... and it was a good read btw :thumbup:

Fireblast...

lolz, normally that's obvious...wonder if he really didnt know. lolz, no offense :lol:

Dpattle.png[hide=]

[/hide]

Fireblast...

lolz, normally that's obvious...wonder if he really didnt know. lolz, no offense :lol:

tbh it is depends on what he mean by the most "powerful" spell... In my opinion the bind spell is extremelly powerful because it grants you the possibility to fire a couple of damage spells on the opponent afterwards...

Then I have to disagree...

With binds alone you cant kill anyone... With fireblast, you definitly can...

A more interesting discussion is what spell is most powerful on P2P;

Ice Barrage

Blood Barrage

or Vengeance

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

i liked the last part of the article about how magic can really make things go so much faster for you...and now with summoning things are even faster as well ^^

magic goes well with both range and melee actually not just melee...very potent combination and i once aimed for 99 def, 99 range, 99 magic but with all the powerful melee stuff coming out...>.<

the best way for mages to kill would be to use an ice spell so that warriors wouldn't be able to touch us doing away with the need for any defense...and if a ranger comes i suggest switching gear to either range or melee...anyway most people do hybrid most of the time.

oh may i add also that stealing creation is quite a good way to train mixed with lots of fun as well...was shadow/ice barraging camping outside the enemy base for practically every game <3:

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

Post subject: Re: Tip.It Times Presents: Completing the Triangle Reply with quote

All I have to say about magic is this:

http://[Please Use QuickFind Code].com/c=1565f489/f ... 4,57668032

Read it and learn! Oh and support if you agree :thumbsup:

:thumbdown: I'm sorry to say but i completely disagree, the write makes good points but......Where is everyone getting mage is weak?!?!?!?! #-o This i kinda annoying to me mage is not weak at all period

mage isn't weak an average magicks user can easily take almost any player down in 5 -7 hits

i'm not very experienced with mage but i fight magers enough and heres what happens

i get frozen take a few hits get hit another time while running towards them and normally dead before i get to them

and by the time i reach them i MAYBE get one or 2 hits on them and then i'm dead mage for p2p is not weak

A person with a god sword can't kill a mage without hitting them.....

and range is supposed to beat magers -cb triangle- #-o

Sorry i just exposed my own ignorance a little bit there :wall: I do not completely disagree with the article just....about the parts about mage being weak it is true actual damage is weak but you can still kill easily before getting hit

I believe the term is quantity over quality in this case

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

thank you...i was wondering if i was the only one who noticed the not underpoweredness of p2p mage.

"underpoweredness" is this a word? lolz

Dpattle.png[hide=]

[/hide]

Then I have to disagree...

With binds alone you cant kill anyone... With fireblast, you definitly can...

A more interesting discussion is what spell is most powerful on P2P;

Ice Barrage

Blood Barrage

or Vengeance

That is why i say it depends on what you mean about "powerful"... power doesn't really have to have anything to do with K0 effects... I personally se powerful in pvp the thing that will give you the biggest advantage... however it is a matter of how you define powerful...

Talking about p2p spells it's a bit tougher... it completelly depends on what kind of player you are, and what enemy you have...

So i don't think there is any real answer to that :P

Post subject: Re: Tip.It Times Presents: Completing the Triangle Reply with quote

All I have to say about magic is this:

http://[Please Use QuickFind Code].com/c=1565f489/f ... 4,57668032

Read it and learn! Oh and support if you agree :thumbsup:

:thumbdown: I'm sorry to say but i completely disagree, the write makes good points but......Where is everyone getting mage is weak?!?!?!?! #-o This i kinda annoying to me mage is not weak at all period

mage isn't weak an average magicks user can easily take almost any player down in 5 -7 hits

i'm not very experienced with mage but i fight magers enough and heres what happens

i get frozen take a few hits get hit another time while running towards them and normally dead before i get to them

and by the time i reach them i MAYBE get one or 2 hits on them and then i'm dead mage for p2p is not weak

A person with a god sword can't kill a mage without hitting them.....

and range is supposed to beat magers -cb triangle- #-o

Sorry i just exposed my own ignorance a little bit there :wall: I do not completely disagree with the article just....about the parts about mage being weak it is true actual damage is weak but you can still kill easily before getting hit

I believe the term is quantity over quality in this case

Futher on in that thread what you say is disscused, and the final point was one can out eat and pot to heal any damage that magic can do to Hit points or stats. Wile its very unlikely to out eat melee or range.

Prism_Swords.png

Have to be honest... the combat triangle isn't as clear cut as everyone makes it and Ts_stormrage jumped in with the others and tried to make it seem so.

It isn't simply Range Vs mage vs melee. The problem arises with equipment and weapon bonuses. Mages generate most of there magic attack bonus from robes. Melee players generate it mostly from weapons. Range is a mix of the two.

This puts us at a tangent of sorts with the melee who wears ranger armour and the mage who uses a melee weapon. Both SHOULD infact beat eachother. They have weapons to cut through the opponents gear. The mage has an option should the melee swap to his own style gear to combat the melee weapon. Whereas generally the meleers does more damage with his weapon against mage robes than the mage with the melee weapon will do against ranger gear. (Imagine a guy with ahrims + whip fighting a guy with dhide and whip). The dis-advantages suffered by the mage change as soon as he or the melee'r change attack style. The mage option to mage instead of melee, whereas the meleer choosing to fully range. Hybrids mess up these clear cut set ups :)

Either way... nobody liked my did you know? :(

Have to be honest... the combat triangle isn't as clear cut as everyone makes it and Ts_stormrage jumped in with the others and tried to make it seem so.

It isn't simply Range Vs mage vs melee. The problem arises with equipment and weapon bonuses. Mages generate most of there magic attack bonus from robes. Melee players generate it mostly from weapons. Range is a mix of the two.

This puts us at a tangent of sorts with the melee who wears ranger armour and the mage who uses a melee weapon. Both SHOULD infact beat eachother. They have weapons to cut through the opponents gear. The mage has an option should the melee swap to his own style gear to combat the melee weapon. Whereas generally the meleers does more damage with his weapon against mage robes than the mage with the melee weapon will do against ranger gear. (Imagine a guy with ahrims + whip fighting a guy with dhide and whip). The dis-advantages suffered by the mage change as soon as he or the melee'r change attack style. The mage option to mage instead of melee, whereas the meleer choosing to fully range. Hybrids mess up these clear cut set ups :)

Either way... nobody liked my did you know? :(

You make a very good point lol i tried to say that myself but....maybe it didn't come out right

Also.....I have never seen someone "out eat" a mager...... thats almost impossible unless you have a low mage level there is a bigger lag between food than there is between hits, also there's the fact you can't hit while your eating, you can't win without hitting even if you could "out eat" a mager

I say mage melee and range are indeed even

beer2.png