Your stance and belief on the Paranormal/Psychics/ECT

NoMoreDead

(I believe this constitutes it's own thread, and I don't think there is one which poses the same question. I think that the only thread like this is the one about paranormal experiences.)

Over the last few years I've taken great interest in the paranormal. Through this interest I found one of my heroes, James Randi. For those of you who don't know about James, he is considered to be the world's most famous investigator of the paranormal, and offers ONE MILLION DOLLARS to any person who can provide evidence of the paranormal under proper observing conditions. Many have tried, but no one has claimed James' million dollars, and to this day no thing has ever crossed his path that passes his tests.

I'd like to get your views on this. Do you believe in those who claim they communicate with the dead? Do you believe in psychics? Do you believe in metal benders or psychic surgeons? Do you believe in faith healing?

Discuss.

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

I believe in faith healing and whatnot. I believe people can be cured by outside forces. It happened recently to someone close to me.

Meh.

This is going to turn into one of those

"Is god real...." Threads and flames will start licking.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Some paranormal-believers just debunk James Randi as being biased and scared of the truth, which is hilarious if you actually reviewed some of the applicants.

The money will be paid out if somebody can actually demonstrate their supernatural skills or "abilities" in double blind testing and with precise computer technology. None of the applicants ever succeed in reading a sealed letter's contents, using telepathy or whatever they claim to do, once actually being tested.

The sad thing is, these conmen and -women can go for years and scam people out of their money by 'supernatural' feats or fortunetelling, while doing nothing at all in reality. I'd go as far as saying some of them are delusional and detached from reality for even participating in the $1M challenge, because deep down they must've known beforehand that they really had no abilities to begin with.

The sad thing is, these conmen and -women can go for years and scam people out of their money by 'supernatural' feats or fortunetelling, while doing nothing at all in reality. I'd go as far as saying some of them are delusional and detached from reality for even participating in the $1M challenge, because deep down they must've known beforehand that they really had no abilities to begin with.

You hit the mark right there.

lampost_sig_stark.png

I don't believe in the paranormal, but hey, what if I turn out to be wrong?

"I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him."

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Im a believer in a lot of paranormal things, particularly telepathy and empathy. I'm not very telepathic, but I am very empathic - I feel the emotions of those around me more strongly than my own. One of my favourite perspectives on it is that its a hyper awareness of those around you, much in the same way people pick up body language but in a far more intense way.

I'm very Buddhistic in my attitudes, so to me the universe is one, we are connected to everything and everyone at a fundamental level, so hyper awareness can include a connection to people not in ones immediate vicinity.

Nothing paranormal has ever happened to me before so ill have to say no..

Can't remember from where, but a famous quote:

The surest sign of intelligent life outside our planet is that they haven't tried to contact us.

Thats not the exact quote but yeah, its the jist of it.

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

I believe there are elements/substances which we haven't discovered yet, but sometimes we use them without us knowing by accident and thus small things happen. Not bringing people back to life, not communicating with the dead, or anything, but like small healing and such.

There is a video on YouTube or something about a guy living in the west though, that performs surgeries, with no blood (caught on tape), and has saved hundreds from lethal diseases, and believes that the devils or something overtake him and thus he is able to peform the surgeries.

The video is somewhere on YouTube, hopefully someone can direct us to it!

I believe in the real ones just being able to stop their human ideas of the world getting in the way of perception in the world.

But I don't even know if there are any real ones these days.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Humans only use 10% of the brain.

Who knows?

If a scientist uses 11% which is MUCH more, they still wont figure out if its possible to have supernatural powers.

But, I believe in it - not werewolves or vampires, but more like telekenisis.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Humans only use 10% of the brain.

Who knows?

If a scientist uses 11% which is MUCH more, they still wont figure out if its possible to have supernatural powers.

But, I believe in it - not werewolves or vampires, but more like telekenisis.

We use most of our brain, not 10%. It's how we think and, you know, live.

There are a lot of things that happen in our world that are not easily explainable, I always find it interesting how people can in one breath profess to strong beliefs in various "unprovable" religious groups, and in the next say that anything paranormal or psychic is crap and doesn't exist. Even worse are those who consider any form of psychic gift to be some kind of evil thing. Ignorance is the cause of fear...

I find the "super psychics", the ones who seek fame and glory and spend their time creating dramatic backdrops for their gifts all in the name of doing good to be pretty repugnant. I have no doubt that most of them do have some gifts, but the roads they took to deal with them are ugly and only serve to reinforce the negative reactions of people to the entire phenomenon of the psychic world.

There is a pretty huge world community of people with gifts or curses depending on how you look at it who keep it mostly to themselves, because they feel no need to play to the hype, no need to be "known," no need to be believed. They can do what they can do and really could care less whether others want to debunk their abilities. They just live with them.

Empaths exist. Telepaths exist. Healers exist. Paranormal phenomena exists.

That's my stance.

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

offers ONE MILLION DOLLARS to any person who can provide evidence of the paranormal under proper observing conditions.

The one million is held in "negotiable bonds." The actual money the winner would receive may be much less than the expected amount. Hypothetically, the bonds could be completely worthless. And not "any person" can join -- as of April 2007, the challenge only accepts those with an existing media profile. The James Randi challenge should not be seen as some scientific refutation of the paranormal.

The challenge aside, there is a huge body of peer-reviewed, scientific research that supports the existence of certain so-called "paranormal" events (ranging from cases suggestive of reincarnation to psychokinesis). Here's a short list of some of this research:

An Assessment of the Evidence for Psychic Functioning (1995)

Does Psi Exist? Replicable Evidence for an Anomalous Process of Information Transfer (1994)

The Conscious Universe by Dean Radin - Chapter 1

The PEAR Proposition (2005)

Engineering Anomalies Research (1987)

More PEAR publications...

Anomalous Mental Phenomena Research in Russia and the Former Soviet Union - A Follow Up (1992)

More Cognitive Sciences Lab Publications...

Observation of a Psychokinetic Effect Under highly Controlled Conditions (1993)

More from The RetroPsychoKinesis Project...

University of Virginia Division of Perceptual Studies: Books and Articles about Reincarnation, Near-Death Experiences and other Phenomena

In my opinion? The paranormal, by definition, is something that will always be out of our understanding. As soon as a paranormal phenomenon becomes naturally understood (e.g. via science), it is no longer seen as paranormal. I suspect that, with further research into the field, a similar shift in understanding will eventually occur in respect to the aforementioned research.

If telekinesis exists, I will force the next person to post

WITH MY [bleep]ING MIND

Made it smaller.

Also: I believe if you can think it, it can happen. Just we make ourselves believe it can't, through our silly human physics and such.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Totaly fake, defies all laws of science

So did gravity before everyone accepted it.

I've had too many experiences to deny that things like that exist. From hearing foot steps when nothing was there, to seeing full body apparitions. Though I don't know i'd say ghost.