So supposedly Player Mods have to report federal crimes?

XxTearGodxX

He was probably just trying to steer the conversation away from this topic. Probably not a bright idea for a player mod to talk about illegal things, who knows who could be watching and listening.

andrewgg.png

goldenhorde.png

WOL Name: Sancren, Royal Garden

Sanmyth, King's Destiny

Send me a friend invite!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it utterly ridiculous that a Mod would feel compelled to report that.

Is hijacking someones wireless connection considered that bad in the US? I did it for three years when I was at Uni...

:oops:

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

God I hate WBP (wanna be police) :| .

God I hate PWUATHTET (people who use acronyms then have to explain them)

lol

Pretty strange though, I wonder if this guy was taking his duties a little to far. Would be nice to see a statement from inside the Mod centre telling them they had to report crimes.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

stupid... btw [bleep] tracy ftw :P

Howdydee2003:

99 Attack - 99 Strength - 99 Hits - 99 Magic - 99 Smithing

First To get 99 Smithing With GoldSmithing Guants

Zx7r Ninja (Currently Training) Updated 2/14/09: Ags Achieved on 2/15/09

75/75 Attack 89/99 Strength 50/50 Def 78/85 Hits

***Owned a Bandos Godsword since 59 Combat***

The only time Iv seen Jagex have to step outside and call authorities is when kids were caught talking about gun threats at their school, and the FBI was called to investigate.

I think Jagex has better things to worry about than someone jacking wireless internet. Its not like stealing cable, or anything else, because wireless is your CHOICE to password it or not. You could leave it open for the soul purpose of your neighbor using it (we did this before for ours) and the side effect is that anyone can do it.

The moderator in question is a complete dolt, and its filing a false report.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Well I'm not going to release names of the player and player mod I seen talk about this nor the clan chat it happened in. Though I was in my clans clan chat this morning and someone mentioned he uses his neighbor's wireless signal for internet or something along those lines. The player mod then said sorry but they have to report that to Jagex seeing as it's a federal crime, um wow.

So I guess if you're using someone's internet that isn't yours don't say it in-game.

that mod is stupid, jagex wouldn't (shouldn't, they banhammer you for stupid stuff) ban you for stuff like that. I use my neighbor's internet because they don't password protect it :]. it's just me and my firewall and my neighbor. If he put a WEP on it i'm not about to use aircrack and get a code... i definetly wouldn't tell anyone that :twisted: .

If the internet connection doesn't have a WEP key or WPA protection then i don't see why its illegal. If it was password protected and you broke into it, it is illegal because of MIM attacks (man-in-the-middle) they are quite rare and only determined noobs do it :ugeek: . it's where someone hacks your network and reads all the information sent by you to the third party. in this case, runescape. But MIM attacks can be used to pick up credit card numbers and whatnot :x . But it's not only the complex MIM attack but just a simple violation of someone's property and privacy.

just thought you should know :]. :mrgreen:

btw, 2 years ago i told a mod that i was using someone elses internet and asked how to protect myself, he just said change your password.

btw, when i moved into my house, i plugged the tv into the wall and i am still receiving basic cable. i don't think im stealing cable? :^o

Xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

2nd troll to 840+ post count.

First:

Federal crimes are crimes against the nation. Since we don't know which nation the player was, we can't speculate on whether PMs have to report federal crimes for any given nation.

Second:

The blanket statements some of you are making about wireless theft are not universally true. In some American states it is illegal. But it is not a Federal matter, to my knowledge. Ref:

Tampa Florida USA: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/nov/11 ... et-theft-/

England: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31687/112/

South Bend Indiana USA: http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/14901151.html

Michigan USA: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9722006-7.html

You can Google "wireless access theft" as well as I can.

Third:

In other locations where it isn't yet illegal, efforts are being made to do so. Ref:

Maryland USA

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=display ... ormat=html

Fourth:

If you don't lock your front door, does that make it legal for people to come in off the street, eat out of your fridge or steal your appliances? Of course not. An unlocked door doesn't grant you access to what's inside. While I agree people should secure their wireless networks, that doesn't excuse you if you piggyback on the sly.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

First:

Federal crimes are crimes against the nation. Since we don't know which nation the player was, we can't speculate on whether PMs have to report federal crimes for any given nation.

Second:

The blanket statements some of you are making about wireless theft are not universally true. In some American states it is illegal. But it is not a Federal matter, to my knowledge. Ref:

Tampa Florida USA: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/nov/11 ... et-theft-/

England: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31687/112/

South Bend Indiana USA: http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/14901151.html

Michigan USA: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9722006-7.html

You can Google "wireless access theft" as well as I can.

Third:

In other locations where it isn't yet illegal, efforts are being made to do so. Ref:

Maryland USA

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=display ... ormat=html

Fourth:

If you don't lock your front door, does that make it legal for people to come in off the street, eat out of your fridge or steal your appliances? Of course not. An unlocked door doesn't grant you access to what's inside. While I agree people should secure their wireless networks, that doesn't excuse you if you piggyback on the sly.

but what we're apparently stealing is bytes, not food/weapons/armour/gilded altars or other stuff a person would keep in their house.

Xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

TBH, I'm really disappointed at how unethical many of the members of Tip.It has become. A couple years ago, almost everyone would have said, yeah, great, go PMod! Get that thief banned! Now everyone could care less. Yes, it is a petty crime, not really worth mentioning. Does that really mean everyone should do it, that no one should care? Stealing is stealing, whether you steal gum from a candy stand, internet usage from a neighbor, or money from a bank.

Also, just because the person does not PROTECT their internet does not mean it is yours to take. If a lady sits down to eat lunch at a cafe and leaves her purse on the back of her chair, it is still ILLEGAL to take it.

EDIT: I see a number of more ethical people are starting to post here. Thank you! At least not everyone is morally corrupt. =D>

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

TBH, I'm really disappointed at how unethical many of the members of Tip.It has become. A couple years ago, almost everyone would have said, yeah, great, go PMod! Get that thief banned! Now everyone could care less. Yes, it is a petty crime, not really worth mentioning. Does that really mean everyone should do it, that no one should care? Stealing is stealing, whether you steal gum from a candy stand, internet usage from a neighbor, or money from a bank.

Also, just because the person does not PROTECT their internet does not mean it is yours to take. If a lady sits down to eat lunch at a cafe and leaves her purse on the back of her chair, it is still ILLEGAL to take it.

EDIT: I see a number of more ethical people are starting to post here. Thank you! At least not everyone is morally corrupt. =D>

but is it illegal if that lady's laptop connected to the internet ? Maybe she wanted to use the computer out on the park bench but the signal came to her. That's the gray area of almost every wi-fi law.

Xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

but is it illegal if that lady's laptop connected to the internet ? Maybe she wanted to use the computer out on the park bench but the signal came to her. That's the gray area of almost every wi-fi law.

If you take her purse, of course it's illegal if she is connected to the internet. What does that have to do with anything? :D

From I think you're saying, you mean the wireless connection from in the park? First, I'd say that would probably be a public access point anyway, something the city put there for convenience. That's totally legal. If you mean it's a private network, that is unprotected, then yes, I would frown on that. But like you said, there are gray areas for many laws; this would definitely fall in that area. If she's in the park, she may not realize that she's connecting to a private network.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

If you take her purse, of course it's illegal if she is connected to the internet. What does that have to do with anything? :D

From I think you're saying, you mean the wireless connection from in the park? First, I'd say that would probably be a public access point anyway, something the city put there for convenience. That's totally legal. If you mean it's a private network, that is unprotected, then yes, I would frown on that. But like you said, there are gray areas for many laws; this would definitely fall in that area. If she's in the park, she may not realize that she's connecting to a private network.

where did u get the idea he talking about snatching purses, read his post carefully

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

I did read his post carefully, including the part where he quoted me:

Way to sound smart, there, lcchs.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

We really don't know the circumstances of this. Does the neighbour even know about it? Is it password protected? Was the guy even telling the truth? There are too many what ifs in this ethical depate.

andrewgg.png

goldenhorde.png

WOL Name: Sancren, Royal Garden

Sanmyth, King's Destiny

Send me a friend invite!

I checked with a good pmod friend ive known since he became mod so legit source

he said he couldnt find anything in pmod guidelines specifically indicating this, he did mention that threatening to hurt someone irl that is on rs is breaking rule(obviously) but couldnt find any mention of irl crimes

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

The question here is not whether the mod is supposed to report based on rules, but if he should report based on ethical standards. Which, IMO, he should.

jagex shouldn't waste their time with that. They actually help agencies around the world prosecute child predators which are unseemingly common in runescape.

Xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

Under what rule does that go? Real-world trading at most? :\

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!