Homework, a Help or Hindrance?

PoorLepRecon

Everybody has come across homework at some point. It is one of the least enjoyable aspects of school. Much of our free time is committed to completing this homework, so that we can better understand our subjects. But does it really help us?

On one hand, homework is assigned to help students better understand a subject, and to help cement a concept into them so that they can understand the type of work they are doing, but on the other hand, it cuts into a students free time. Our time off from school is to let us relax from a day of learning. Homework cuts into that time, making students work even when away from school.

Is homework really helping us, or does it create more stress on the students and maybe make them do worse in school? Is homework the reason we do better in school, or the reason many students struggle.

I believe homework helps to a certain degree, like in subjects such as science and math where practicing a formula or studying a theory can help better understand the concepts that the class is going over. In other classes, such as foreign language, I believe homework is more of a hindrance because you get help from someone who speaks the language in class, but at home most times you don't have anyone with knowledge of the language.

I'd like to know what the rest of Tip.it feels about homework.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In University we don't get assigned "homework" it's up to ourselves to prepare ourselves for the brutal culminating assignments and 70% exams :lol:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

You're not doing your homework are you?

But on topic. I always feel its a blocking tool. I would be better off just with the stuff in class. I remember everything from the class yet I never have the feeling of doing homework.

If you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

i personally hate homework along with many others. Not only is it stressful, but very aggravating that u have been sitting in school for hours and now they are telling u that u haven't learned enough and that u must complete work at home. :x

give me a break!

i think that homework in some cases helps u understand the subject more. It forces u to practice. However sometimes it can be stressful when u r doing hw late at night after u r exhausted from doing a sport or something.

What I would rather have is to have school possible extended for a bit, but then to have no homework. that way u can get the practice in ur school... although this may interfere with many things. or they could just lighten the pack on hw and make it ur responsibility to study for tests/quizes/exams/anything

In a regular job, do you get work when you leave? No. I think schools should be like that to an extent. I like homework because it gives me pratice, but sometimes teachers do "busy work", loads of problems for one sitting, to "help us prepare" for the test.

But, I shouldn't be talking. The Terminator (Gov. Arnold Sw-thingy) is greatly reducing the education budget reducing printable paper, copies, and other stuff teachers can get; in turn, this makes the teacher do less homework to save supplies for the more important stuff in-class.

Damnit, this thread reminds me I got some homework to do...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

While I still hate even the smallest amount of homework, I cannot deny that it is helpful in small amounts. However, I also think we would do just fine without it. And at least at my school, teachers don't give small amounts. They give as much as they possibly can without consideration for the fact that we have 4-6 other classes, in addition to theirs. Students at my school are under so much stress and have little to no free time. Many of them stay up until the early hours of the morning finishing their homework or studying for impossible tests.

Oh and three day weekends... time for fun and relaxation? Think again. Teachers at my school say, "I'm assigning extra homework because you have a whole extra day to work on it!" Yes we have a whole extra day, but it should be for our enjoyment and free time... NOT a day dedicated to completing extra homework.

I think people with sports have it the worst. Their schedules are usually something like this:

• [*:dyw1dktk]7am - 3pm: School

[*:dyw1dktk]3:30pm - 5:30pm: Sports practice

[*:dyw1dktk]Maybe 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hour of free time, before dinner. But I actually know some people (admittedly those who are slow workers) who already start working on homework. at this time.

[*:dyw1dktk]The rest of the night is dedicated to homework.

It seems ridiculous to me that some people get by on such little free time. Parents at my school think that their children are so overworked that they sent a survey home to all the parents, asking how they felt about homework and how stressed their children were, so they could send the 'evidence' to the principal to back up their claims.

There are so many surveys and articles out there about how students suffer from a lack of sleep, and from my observations, it's honestly completely because of school and too much homework.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Damnit, beaten to the punch. Ah well, I hope I can reenforce the point: I don't care how many of you little fourteen-year old weenie nerds come in here and talk about how you don't need to do homework to get straight A's and understand the material.

Just wait 'til college. And send pics. I want to see the tears.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Damnit, beaten to the punch. Ah well, I hope I can reenforce the point: I don't care how many of you little fourteen-year old weenie nerds come in here and talk about how you don't need to do homework to get straight A's and understand the material.

But there is a clear difference in being given how to study, rather than studying by your own way. I remember there was a 'Cornell notes' phase two years ago that most of the teachers FORCED students to write down notes "cornell-style". Needless to say there was a huge unpopularity for these notes and now, they're non-existant.

Oh, and another thing. This ain't college.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The idea of High School is to prepare you for college. You're lucky you can complain in HS, you can't do that in college, you're paying for the class, the professor could care less if you pass or do anything, and if you don't like it, they won't care for the slightest minute.

But there is a clear difference in being given how to study, rather than studying by your own way. I remember there was a 'Cornell notes' phase two years ago that most of the teachers FORCED students to write down notes "cornell-style". Needless to say there was a huge unpopularity for these notes and now, they're non-existant.

You guys are lucky, they're doing this to us right now :wall:

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

The idea of High School is to prepare you for college. You're lucky you can complain in HS, you can't do that in college, you're paying for the class, the professor could careless if you pass or do anything, and if you don't like it, they won't care for the slightest minute.

Yes, ok, so? We are, by law, to attend school up to the 12th level. Whereas college is not; so it would seem logical to pay some attention to the folks being dragged into it by law.

siggy3s.jpg

Yes, ok, so? We are, by law, to attend school up to the 12th level. Whereas college is not; so it would seem logical to pay some attention to the folks being dragged into it by law.

You only have to attend until you're 16. But if you drop out you'll probably be living on the street as trades move abroad or are hurt by the economy.

I usually fight with my teachers over whether or not I should have to do it. Most of the time I don't have any anyways, but this works sometimes. They know it's mostly just busy work that took too long during class.

I don't like English homework, though. I like that class, but the homework is usually trying to find out the deeper meaning of some piece of literature. I HATE THAT.

Riku's case is similar to mine. Plus, track season starts then. Is spring just a time for school to [cabbage] on us in general?

In a general view, I guess I agree with Quoi. But, I'm just a kid.

And life is a nightmare.

I'm just a kid.

I know that it's not fair.

Andnobodycares'causeI'maloneintheworldandnobodywantstobealoneintheworldtonightDAMMIT

EDIT: And Quoi, your signature is WRONG. We only spent 29.9%. Shame. Shame.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I usually fight with my teachers over whether or not I should have to do it. Most of the time I don't have any anyways, but this works sometimes. They know it's mostly just busy work that took too long during class.

I don't like English homework, though. I like that class, but the homework is usually trying to find out the deeper meaning of some piece of literature. I HATE THAT.

Riku's case is similar to mine. Plus, track season starts then. Is spring just a time for school to [cabbage] on us in general?

And life is a nightmare.

I'm just a kid.

Andnobodycares'causeI'maloneintheworldandnobodywantstobealoneintheworldtonightDAMMIT

Oh dear god we are more similar than I thought!

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I concur with most other people: teaching should be for when you're at school or on a school-related trip. Homework should be limited, and in most cases, exterminated. Sleep deprivation and stress are killing this generation, and are holding an axe over the heads of all future ones. I for one vote that homework should be banned in all but a few cases, and even then should be extremely limited. It should NOT take more than 30 minutes to an hour to finish up a full day's worth of homework. If teachers refuse to abide by this, then they can enjoy unemployment without tender. I also think that most of what is given, if not damn near all of it, is what is termed as "busywork", which is for all intents and purposes worthless and just an extra grade to stab the students with. I'm willing to do a great deal to make this written into law across the planet. The specific terms should be as follows:

1) All classes with few exceptions are to not assign homework of any kind which could bring down a person's grade. They may use it as a means of boosting student's grades.

2) Those classes which are allowed to use homework are not allowed to assign it when it requires a total time to complete which exceeds an hour.

3) Any staff of a school which disobeys this will be given 2 warnings, after which they will be removed from the school and have their tenure pay and any other benefits stripped. They may regain their "buffer warnings" if they don't assign graded work for a time, at a rate of 1 warning each year.

Sound about right? And yes, it's strict. Yes, I'm a complete [bleep]. No, I don't care. If it wasn't strict, then these people would just ignore it and they'd still be power-tripping like usual. If you want a barking dog to listen, you have to grab his attention.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Homework does not help unless you really dedicate the time to doing it. Since I only do assignments to get it over with, it merely serves as a grade boost.

However, being an IB diploma candidate, I have picked up the all important ability of winging any assignment with it still looking decent.

IB

A.K.A. International Baccalaureate - A malicious program aimed at the unnaturally brighter population in an attempt to overload their brains, thus reducing them to vegetables without lives. However, a true IB student will respond by adapting and bsing their way through.

IB, therefore I BS.

I think people with sports have it the worst. Their schedules are usually something like this:

• [*:3qxfr21x]7am - 3pm: School

[*:3qxfr21x]3:30pm - 5:30pm: Sports practice

[*:3qxfr21x]Maybe 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hour of free time, before dinner. But I actually know some people (admittedly those who are slow workers) who already start working on homework. at this time.

[*:3qxfr21x]The rest of the night is dedicated to homework.

That is almost the exact schedule I had during soccer season. Sometimes my practices would'nt even get out until 6:30P.M. Also you have to include game times, which would generally be at 5:30P.M.-7P.M., and staying for varsity afterward at away games, means on some nights I would get home from school at 9-10 at night. Plus you have to add in any time spent for clubs, and it all makes keeping grades up a very hard task.

My Algebra teacher made our class do some Cornell notes. It isn't right for a teacher to tell us what is the best way to take notes, each person is different in the way that they like their notes structured.

And life is a nightmare.

I'm just a kid.

Oh dear god we are more similar than I thought!

I am exactly like that as well. I prefer a straightforward answer rather than individual interpretation.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

The only thing I don't like about homework is that a huge part of your grade is determined by it - And usually it's only if you do it or not.

No, I don't expect teachers to spend hours actually grading the homework to see if it's right, but most do read it anyway, so why not?

That said, most of the homework I get does help. I learn well when by copying facts over and over, and homework usually includes that.

My English teacher claims that the teachers are supposed to give an hour of homework each night. Obviously, that can't be - We have 6 classes a day, no one is seriously going to do 6 hours of work daily. (Maybe once in a while...)

But I don't know, I've yet to hit the challenging years. Right now, either I don't have much homework or it's too easy, because I have too much free time. I suppose later on I'll be having a few hours worth of homework a night though, then I'll complain.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I concur with most other people: teaching should be for when you're at school or on a school-related trip. Homework should be limited, and in most cases, exterminated. Sleep deprivation and stress are killing this generation, and are holding an axe over the heads of all future ones. I for one vote that homework should be banned in all but a few cases, and even then should be extremely limited. It should NOT take more than 30 minutes to an hour to finish up a full day's worth of homework. If teachers refuse to abide by this, then they can enjoy unemployment without tender. I also think that most of what is given, if not damn near all of it, is what is termed as "busywork", which is for all intents and purposes worthless and just an extra grade to stab the students with. I'm willing to do a great deal to make this written into law across the planet. The specific terms should be as follows:

1) All classes with few exceptions are to not assign homework of any kind which could bring down a person's grade. They may use it as a means of boosting student's grades.

2) Those classes which are allowed to use homework are not allowed to assign it when it requires a total time to complete which exceeds an hour.

3) Any staff of a school which disobeys this will be given 2 warnings, after which they will be removed from the school and have their tenure pay and any other benefits stripped. They may regain their "buffer warnings" if they don't assign graded work for a time, at a rate of 1 warning each year.

Sound about right? And yes, it's strict. Yes, I'm a complete [bleep]. No, I don't care. If it wasn't strict, then these people would just ignore it and they'd still be power-tripping like usual. If you want a barking dog to listen, you have to grab his attention.

Well you also have to take in the fact that most kids are idiots and won't pay attention in class. smd will take forever on a simple assignment.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I've never taken much of an issue with homework, so I'm pretty neutral on the issue. It helps me understand things most of the time, and I can't really complain about the amount of homework I have. I don't really care for it, but unless I have obscene amounts of work it doesn't really bother me anymore. The only thing I object to is having tests on Mondays.

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif