Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Greatsilverwyrm

Discussion of the book for people who've read it, so as not to spoil anything for others.

(this topic will be unstickied as soon as the book is released and it starts getting replies)

There are most likely spoilers below. If you have not read the book, continue reading this post at your own risk.

---

IRKAa.jpg

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.angelfire.com/nt/harrypotter/frumors.html

Book Six

Finally a rumor! The title might be.... "Harry Potter and the Green Flame Torch". Supposedly Harry finds a torch which has a green flame which is supposed to heal good and kill evil. Insiders info: The term "green flame" came from a magic spell from the ancient Egyptian civilization. The "green flame" comes from Memphis, Egypt and it means, "I have not stolen food. Another note: The "magic spell" came from the Book of the Dead.

Book Seven

Snape might fall in love or redeemed. Ooo! And become a nice guy. Nahhhh!!!!

Hermione will be come Head Girl. Knew that!

Wow!Harry and Draco team up and fight an evil force. Interesting. Remember Rumors. Soooo... maybe Draco isn't that bad after all.

The last word of this book will be illegal program. Proven fact from Time Magazine

One of Harry's fellow classmates will become a teacher! Not Ron, Harry or Hermione though.

We are to know even more about Lily Potter.What I don't even know.

Magic cannot bring the dead back to life again. So we won't be able to see Harry's parents.Sigh

Other Rumors

Professor Trelawney's first prediction was a very important one." Oooooo....

Not exactly a rumor but a nice thing to know. James is Harry's last name "after his father."

Crookshanks will be back in the future books and he will probally play an important part too!

Where Harry lives *during the summer* will play an important part of a plot in one of the future books.

Aragog will appear in the future books as well.

Mr. Weasley's *old* car will appear as well...

"Dudley's privileged existence starts to change for the worse in Book 4."

*ARGH* Harry Potter merchandise will be flooding the stores! *grabs an umbrella*

http://www.harry-potter-games.com/Harry_Potter_Book_6.htm

#

Other Book 6 Rumours

# Harry is 16 and will play Quidditch for England.

# Lupin's brother Romulus makes an appearance, possibly as the DADA teacher. Or Professor Quirrel's brother could be DADA teacher.

# Dumbledore might be killed.

# Harry and Cho become an item.

# The Green Flame refers to Harry Potter's eyes and his ability to burn evil.

# Ron and Hermione finally date.

# One of the Weasley boys is killed.

# Dumbledore will be revealed as Lily's father.

The place where you got the first rumors thinks that the 5th book *might* be called harry potter and the order of the phoenix... This means that the 5th book wasn't even out yet... :?

14 books in Vancouver (Canada) were sold by mistake a week early. Apparently, the people who got the book early had to sign a confidentiality agreement not to reveal any of the plot before the actual release of the book comes :shock:

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

Some sites already offer the legit version of the book, chapter by chapter. It's quite amazing how they managed to get it.

and where would i look to find this?

It's not legal, so you shouldn't :wink:

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

Some sites already offer the legit version of the book, chapter by chapter. It's quite amazing how they managed to get it.

and where would i look to find this?

It's not legal, so you shouldn't :wink:

who cares i did more illegal stuff than that before i was 5 now tell me

Sean, you finished too? I just finished and I can't... stop... crying... :x

Later edit: Okay, I've calmed down enough to speak coherently. First, I'm annoyed that the spoiler scanned page posted over half the internet was true. Second, I'd still say #3 was the best book of the series thus far, and I don't know if I'd put #5 or #6 as next best. I'm quite sad and yet what JK had to do, she had to do. Also, Draco's many fangirls will be relieved that there is hope for him yet. ;)

Oh, Harry - I know you must defeat the Dark Lord, but gosh, I just don't see how you will possibly do it without the venerable "bumblebee" :( Unless of course, surprising everyone, Neville is the one the prophecy ultimately refers to - why else would there be two people in it? To merely demonstrate the power of choice in fulfilling prophecies? Dumbledore has, demonstrably now, the capability to be wrong...

BOAST :D I had theories that were right and this makes me happy.

I need more time before I start theorizing about the next book though.

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Sean, you finished too? I just finished and I can't... stop... crying... :x

Later edit: Okay, I've calmed down enough to speak coherently. First, I'm annoyed that the spoiler scanned page posted over half the internet was true. Second, I'd still say #3 was the best book of the series thus far, and I don't know if I'd put #5 or #6 as next best. I'm quite sad and yet what JK had to do, she had to do. Also, Draco's many fangirls will be relieved that there is hope for him yet. ;)

Oh, Harry - I know you must defeat the Dark Lord, but gosh, I just don't see how you will possibly do it without the venerable "bumblebee" :( Unless of course, surprising everyone, Neville is the one the prophecy ultimately refers to - why else would there be two people in it? To merely demonstrate the power of choice in fulfilling prophecies? Dumbledore has, demonstrably now, the capability to be wrong...

BOAST :D I had theories that were right and this makes me happy.

I need more time before I start theorizing about the next book though.

lame

One word replies are not acceptable, not to mention cowardly as you're not giving a basis to your post which I can exploit.

I'd also appreciate it, if you didn't call one of my friends lame, she's a little emotional. Not usually sad though so if you would mind shutting your eyes and going back to whatever board you came from.

Thanks.

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

I'd say around 80% of what I'd predicted came true. There were two bits that I didn't like:

1) The Horcrux - having someone else steal it before Harry and Dumbledore is a clever way of setting up the next book, but it's such as waste! I hate things like that - it just makes it seem like Dumbledore threw away his life for no reason.

2) Dumping Ginny - yes, it was the right thing to do, but how harsh is that! To be fair, it displays a very high level of maturity but... well, I couldn't do it!

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Mayjest, who do you think R.A.B. is?! At first all I could think of was Rab from runescape (Moderator) :P:P. EDIT: My friend told me her idea and I think it must be right. Regulus A-something Black!!

And H/G and R/Hr at last!

Chris, thanks for sticking up for me. :oops: NikeMaxCat, I cry quite easily - I get emotional during movies and stories. I guess I'm just sensitive to other people's feelings (even fictional ones), unlike certain other people... :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Oooo, Sirius' little brother! Never thought of that! I thought he was confirmed dead though?

And even though Dumbledore is dead, he will return - Harry has freaky dreams. Kind of like Ben advised Luke after he died - in spirit. It will be a similar thing.

Actually, I just re-read the last few chapters (from when Harry/Ginny go out to the end) because it got a bit confusing the first time round (which was probably the intention). But the bit at the end where Harry is planning - it sounded like an RPG plot. Get the Horcrux's - individual dungeons. Final showdown with Voldy - final boss. Had Rowling been playing too much final fantast?

About bloody time Harry and Ron got some decent action - all Harry had before Ginny was one pull, and Cho was crying at the time. Ron, meanwhile, had the 'experience of a 12 year old', in Ginny's words. I mean, they're 16! Slackers!

The emotional attachment sucks - I'd managed to spend the past week reading it unattached, looking specifically for possible plot clues. Now I go and get emotional again (see my delight at H/G and R/Hr, and my subsequent shock at H dumping G). It's gonna take 6 months before i can re-read this and start trying to properly work out who RAB is.

I'm honestly not sure whether Harry will return to school. I know he's intending not to, but can he honestly stay away? It is supposed to be about his school years. I think he might try to strike off without it, using 12 Grimmauld Place as his base of operations, but will eventually be forced to relocate to Hogwarts where it's safer. I reckon the last Horcrux might be hidden somewhere in Hogwarts - similar to Philosopher's Stone. Go full circle, start where you begin.

Anyway, only a couple of days before Mugglenet re opens and I can read all their editorials.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Mayjest, who do you think R.A.B. is?! At first all I could think of was Rab from runescape (Moderator) :P:P. EDIT: My friend told me her idea and I think it must be right. Regulus A-something Black!!

And H/G and R/Hr at last!

Chris, thanks for sticking up for me. :oops: NikeMaxCat, I cry quite easily - I get emotional during movies and stories. I guess I'm just sensitive to other people's feelings (even fictional ones), unlike certain other people... :D

The Regulus theory is my favourite at the moment, however their is nowhere a middle name specified for him, one weird thing is considering Dumbledore needed an assistant surely any other wizard, presumably of less ability (if fact is as we are led to believe Dumbledore is extrmely powerful) would also need an assistant? yet the note refers to an "I"

I also think that it being Regulus would tie in with the way Rowlings mind seems to work, The first time Regulus was mentioned Sirius said somthing along the lines of "He found out what Voldemort was prepared to do to gain power" perhaps talking about the Horcruxes?

edit: just had a flashback to reading book 6 :P , wasn't the guy who got burned off the Black family tree called Alphard or somthing? Regulus Alphard Black?

Well thought-out post mayjest...

Oooo, Sirius' little brother! Never thought of that! I thought he was confirmed dead though?

could be...after all, look at petey pedigrew, confirmed dead is nothing

And even though Dumbledore is dead, he will return - Harry has freaky dreams. Kind of like Ben advised Luke after he died - in spirit. It will be a similar thing.

hey theres some paintings of dumble around the school arent there?

and coming back to life after avada kadavra...impossible

Actually, I just re-read the last few chapters (from when Harry/Ginny go out to the end) because it got a bit confusing the first time round (which was probably the intention). But the bit at the end where Harry is planning - it sounded like an RPG plot. Get the Horcrux's - individual dungeons. Final showdown with Voldy - final boss. Had Rowling been playing too much final fantast?

yeah, i just finished desert treasure thursday, finished hp today...the hurcrux thingys are kinda like those diamonds, and final boss (voldy)...well, doesnt happen in desert but the pyramid....well who knows

I'm honestly not sure whether Harry will return to school. I know he's intending not to, but can he honestly stay away? It is supposed to be about his school years. I think he might try to strike off without it, using 12 Grimmauld Place as his base of operations, but will eventually be forced to relocate to Hogwarts where it's safer. I reckon the last Horcrux might be hidden somewhere in Hogwarts - similar to Philosopher's Stone. Go full circle, start where you begin.

Anyway, only a couple of days before Mugglenet re opens and I can read all their editorials.

i agree...not much else to say for me

except...well...he cant go to school really...i mean if voldemort is still out there...

i dont think he will

well thats my thoughts...my mind is burnt out, i read for 10 hours straight

that little draco, how much i wanna kill him

At least, hopefully :| But the people were REALLY upset that they saw the spoilers that Snape killed Dumbledore and one of the people said she doesn't even care if she ever reopens mugglenet :|

Okay... I'm going to quote friends from livejournal about theories about Snape not really being evil.

I've been crying for the last half hour over my beloved Severus, who is still not evil, the guy had no choice, but LITERALLY I'VE BEEN SOBBING. At least Draco still has a chance, even Harry sees that by the end. I can't believe Dumbledore is dead, even though I obviously knew it was going to happen. There is no way that is it about Snape's good/bad sides, it's all about Spinner's End and the third part of the Unbreakable Vow, which swore that if Draco couldn't kill Dumbledore, Snape would. WAIT WAIT WAIT I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!! HOLY [cabbage] HOLY [cabbage]. OK, quote time:

"But somebody else had spoken Snape's name, quite softly.

'Severus...'

The sound frightened Harry beyond anything he had experienced all evening. For the first time, Dumbledore was pleading.

Snape said nothing, but walked forward and pushed Malfoy roughly out of the way. The three Death Eaters fell back without a word. Even the werewolf seemed cowed.

Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.

'Severus...please...'

Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore.

'Avada Kedavra!'"

pp. 595-596

OK, here is the thing. Dumbledore was not pleading for Severus to let him live - Dumbledore would NEVER EVER EVER do that, to anyone. Dumbledore was begging Severus to kill him, either to a) get it over with or B) to save Draco from killing Dumbledore, which would definitely prevent Draco's being redeemed ever. I AM A GENIUS. So basically, Snape wasn't just saving himself by killing Dumbledore (if it was just breaking the Unbreakable Vow that was in question, he could have sacrificed himself to save Dumbledore), but Dumbledore was asking him to kill him, probably to save Draco from doing it. In conclusion, I love Severus Snape.

Come over the right side, Draco - you're not a killer."

Malfoy stared at Dumbledore. "But I got this far, didn't I?" he said slowly. "They thought I'd die in the attempt but I'm here. And you're in my power. I'm the one with the wand. You're at my mercy."

"No, Draco," said Dumbledore quietly. "It is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now."

This earlier quote totally supports that.

There really has been so much buildup for Snape that leaving it now does seem to be a betrayal on JK's part, unleeeessss.... :D :D!! After discussing with her, we have concluded that it makes lots of sense. First, Harry's "explanation" of why Dumbledore trusted snape was a sucky one, and that can't be all there is to it. Also, if Dumbledore was tipped off about Snape talking to Malfoy, and HE knew he didn't order Snape to do it, he must have had to suspect him and such. Also, Dumbledore already suggested when they were going into the place to get the Horcrux thingy that the younger generation is more valuable at this point than he is - he just needed to make sure that Harry knew about them and could continue the task on his own.

Snape might have to have been the only one loyal enough to kill Dumbledore himself, for the good of the cause.

siggypooro0.jpg

Guest GhostRanger
Well thought-out post mayjest...

could be...after all, look at petey pedigrew, confirmed dead is nothing

Either way I don't see how it matters. The note says, "I know I will be dead long before you read this" so him being dead fits perfectly.