What do F2Pers actually deserve?

sees_all1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the first post. Have you?

No... except I wrote it. Seriously though, I like your fail. =D>

Lemme see what I can get for you. How about a nice slice of failcake?

failcacke.jpg

As far as more bank space goes, I think 68 spaces is plenty for non holiday / random items.

Once you start adding in clothing sets, 68 gets filled up very quickly. I could live with 40 spaces if we had some sort of place to store the random sets.

I'm not sure I agree with F2P skill capes. I like the idea that skill capes have to be obtained in members, and can be equipped and unequipped in F2P; that doesn't bother me. In fact, I believe this should be the way with most members items, as long as they retain their membership; or Jagex gives people a 30 day grace period.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

A free MMO you can access from simple internet browsers with no downloads or very high requirements is more than you can ask for. Jagex does not owe you anything more to you than what you already have. Seriously, you already have everything you can ask for in a free game, and Jagex is being generous continuing to give you updates.

Don't Flame, you know it is true.

41166338jj7.png

click my (very bad) siggy for blog

Seriously, you already have everything you can ask for in a free game, and Jagex is being generous continuing to give you updates.

Then, to make your posts worthwhile, what is something you're surprised that Jagex keeps giving F2P, or that you think should be exclusively members? This wasn't meant to be another Why can't F2P have ... !?! - there are more discussion points than that.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I wish they'd introduce ways for non members to gather 2nds for summoning and herblore that have no use to them except to sell to members. Making all 2nds lower in price for the members benefits and a new way for f2pers to make money.

Yeah, they deserve to make us members happy.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

You know, these "what does f2p deserve" threads have such great potential for debate, and yet there are still those that refuse to actually use their minds and think, instead opting to reply haphazardly, "oh, f2p don't pay, they shudn't get nufing"... Maybe we don't deserve anything. That's not what this thread is about. We should be debating about things members rarely use to give to f2p, possibly and hypothetically. -edit - and what should be only p2p, but no one cares about them... :P

Anyway, after that rant-in-a-rant... :roll:

I like the idea of skill capes for f2p - after all, 99 in a skill is impressive for both mem and free-players. Of course, only the non-mem skills could be given - cooking, fishing, firemaking, woodcutting. From what I've read around the forums, these aren't the most impressive capes among members anyways.

And summoning for free-to-play, while I would absolutely love it, is not a good idea. First of all, isn't there a quest involved to unlock the summoning skill? Also, where would we get the charms? I thought mostly member monsters drop charms.

My idea for free-to-play "hand-me-downs" is Construction. Think about it: Jagex advertises construction as being able to build your own house in runescape. Well, that's fine, but how is it done? What are the controls like? What are things you do with that skill? It's the same reason jagex gave f2p minigames: f2p now knows what it's like to play them. Not all games, obviously, but they get the general idea. IMO, construction is very unique among skills, and therefore, it should be released for f2p. Not all of it - just the first few levels, like up to level 30, and that's the highest you can build stuff before going mem.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

Jagex is no longer a small bedroom operation by Andrew and his brother. He owes thanks to the old F2P population for spreading the game, continuing to play it, etc.. But even if he and his brother left now, Jagex has evolved into massive corporate organisation. Their main concern is now profit, not providing free entertainment.

I'm F2P and have been since 2002 (after trying P2P for some months), and I wouldn't say I deserve anything. If you just play the game for free and load the banner ad, you don't deserve anything really. If anything, you should be happy it's available free of charge.

Sure, even if RS required payment, you could play some buggy illegal private server that can be shut down at any time.. And would have less than 0.1% of the original player base. The free version of RS is really good for a browser game, although I quit playing ages ago

Jagex is no longer a small bedroom operation by Andrew and his brother. He owes thanks to the old F2P population for spreading the game, continuing to play it, etc.. But even if he and his brother left now, Jagex has evolved into massive corporate organisation. Their main concern is now profit, not providing free entertainment.

I'm F2P and have been since 2002 (after trying P2P for some months), and I wouldn't say I deserve anything. If you just play the game for free and load the banner ad, you don't deserve anything really. If anything, you should be happy it's available free of charge.

Sure, even if RS required payment, you could play some buggy illegal private server that can be shut down at any time.. And would have less than 0.1% of the original player base. The free version of RS is really good for a browser game, although I quit playing ages ago

See thats the thing though, thats what you think. I mean yea thats a good reason and all but, we all can have our wants and needs.

And sometimes wo do deserve stuff because it makes the game more fun and all. But nooo, if you were one of them you wouldnt even try

to help out f2p would you? I didnt think so.

minni_wynn2.png

minni_wynn2.png

[hide=Large Quote]

[/hide]

See thats the thing though, thats what you think. I mean yea thats a good reason and all but, we all can have our wants and needs.

And sometimes wo do deserve stuff because it makes the game more fun and all. But nooo, if you were one of them you wouldnt even try

to help out f2p would you? I didnt think so.

Minni, care to re-phrase that? All I got from that was 'I want more stuff because I'm bored.' then some incomprehensible mess of English.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

Its just that so many people on this thread are being rude and there is no reason for it.

Its in the Deabate Club part for a reason. Its so we can actually talk about what we could

or couldnt have. And its very rude for some of those people to come and just tell us off when

all we want to do is talk about what we want. (and we know that all this wouldnt come true.)

minni_wynn2.png

minni_wynn2.png

Here is some of my ideas

-yew bows [and comp ] (no balance destryed and no spec, virtually useless p2p [10k for yew comp ::' ])

-a pet (like cat or heck WHY CANT WE HAVE A GOLDFISH???? HUHH JAG?)

-cooking sinew from beef (why not its low lever food)

-coifs for crafting (nothing distrubed there like no one makes then p2p)

MAybe

- studded armour crafting [?]

- 1 and i repeat 1 new and useful spell or spell book

- red d hide (i have red d hide in my bank now and its eating up 3 bankspaces :ohnoes: )

- ring of life/recoil/bracelets i mean cmon jagex who uses those every day?

Enjoy my suggestions =D>

Oh and lumby explorers ring is the best thing that happened to f2p since Rune mysteries quest (yes i go that far back)

34sny53.png

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Their main concern is now profit, not providing free entertainment.

If you just play the game for free and load the banner ad, you don't deserve anything really. If anything, you should be happy it's available free of charge.

This idea that F2P doesn't get Jagex money is absurd, and even if it wasn't, this point is not to be made - See my first post. If you want to rant about how F2Pers just feed off the money of members, make a rant. I don't care, but don't post something that was already deemed "null and void". Jagex will concern itself with its own profits/loses - you don't have to for them.

I'm F2P and have been since 2002 (after trying P2P for some months), and I wouldn't say I deserve anything.

That's great - what is F2P that you are surprised was released F2P?

Once again, this thread is more than "What P2P content should F2P get?" - there's also "What F2P content shouldn't have been F2P" or "What are you surprised is F2P?" And also the debate that follows off of that.

♪♪ And I'm not done

i think f2p'ers deserve updates, because without them, there would be no way for people to get to know runescape. im betting the majority of membs wer f2p for at least a few months before, and probably wouldnt of joined otherwise. Jagex has been doing a lot for f2p, like great orb project, clan wars and fists of guthix, duel arena (although no one really uses it), and holiday quests and events. what they should get though is

skillcapes - its harder for f2p to get 99, and they deserve to be recognized

chaos runes - would make way more f2p runecrafters, bringing down rune prices for members

rune arrows - it seems silly they get every thing else up to rune, but then not arrows

higher level monsters - the highest f2p monster is the greater deamon, which a well-prepared level 60 could kill

what they dont need

more skills - there are plenty of skills for f2p already

more bankspace - the 8 extra slots are enough

i think f2p'ers deserve updates, because without them, there would be no way for people to get to know runescape. im betting the majority of membs wer f2p for at least a few months before, and probably wouldnt of joined otherwise. Jagex has been doing a lot for f2p, like great orb project, clan wars and fists of guthix, duel arena (although no one really uses it), and holiday quests and events. what they should get though is

skillcapes - its harder for f2p to get 99, and they deserve to be recognized

chaos runes - would make way more f2p runecrafters, bringing down rune prices for members

rune arrows - it seems silly they get every thing else up to rune, but then not arrows

higher level monsters - the highest f2p monster is the greater deamon, which a well-prepared level 60 could kill

what they dont need

more skills - there are plenty of skills for f2p already

more bankspace - the 8 extra slots are enough

skillcapes - its harder for f2p to get 99, and they deserve to be recognized - agreed

chaos runes - would make way more f2p runecrafters, bringing down rune prices for members - yes agreed... chaos runes kinda expensive unless your a pure mage and prepared to buy them

rune arrows - it seems silly they get every thing else up to rune, but then not arrows - for real

higher level monsters - the highest f2p monster is the greater deamon, which a well-prepared level 60 could kill - ... i dunno... well what about revs? and ankuos or whatever?

maybe give F2p some cool dungeon similar to kalphite

EDIT: what about that umm roach thing?

still mems have los more dungeons... kbd and whatnot...

what they dont need

more skills - there are plenty of skills for f2p already - agreed

more bankspace - the 8 extra slots are enough - NO WE NEED MORE SPACE!!!

Minicliper13.png

Minicliper13.png

• 2 weeks later...
To my ideas.

-Jagex could release the current wave spells, entangle, and perhaps some of the high level curse spells, which would fix F2P maging.

-Jagex could make the chaos alter F2P without having an averse effect on P2P

-Jagex could make rune arrows, and up to blue d'hide F2P without having an averse effect on P2P. This would strengthen the combat triangle.

-I am surprised that the Great Orb Project is F2P. Seems to me that this minigame and it's rewards are pretty hot stuff for F2P.

-I am surprised that Jagex introduces P2P quests through holiday events, and allows F2Pers to participate.

-I am surprised that Fist of Guthix is F2P. The armour rewards are now trash, but the gloves are pretty decent.

Begin the debate.

1. You would have the problem of using blood runes, but maybe this can be overcome by adding blood runes to f2p. But NO this would NOT change the magic class's survival rate. There DESPERATELY needs to be a set of kiting spells to make meleers helpless. What the last thing we need to do for mages is to make it easier on them. Increasing max hit dumbs the mind. Magic should be a very strategic skill, but it lacks a good catalyst: kiting spells. Add that, and even blast spells would suffice.

2. Maybe, but then it would break the pattern. But allowing chaos rune crafting would lower the price even more. 100 gp per chaos is good enough. Any less would make mages in the lower level tiers more prevelant and maybe more powerful than need be.

3. Rune arrows and yew bows yes. Blue dhide, no. Considering that rune arrows are just that, rune, they should be f2p. They are lvl 40 weapons. therefore, there needs to be a consistency. The blue dhide is lvl 50 armor. Perhaps they could add some "corrupt" red dragonhide armor, but green dhide is good enough considering that I can fairly easily take out a meleer in range equipment.

4 & 6. The mage armor was long overdue since the previous armor was merely robes that gave about +15 magic attack. Now the max is +31. Druidic robes are not trash. They can be the difference between victory and defeat in a war.

5. It's jagex's way of advertising p2p. It's a nice addition and fun, too.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

To my ideas.

-Jagex could release the current wave spells, entangle, and perhaps some of the high level curse spells, which would fix F2P maging.

-Jagex could make rune arrows, and up to blue d'hide F2P without having an averse effect on P2P. This would strengthen the combat triangle.

-I am surprised that the Great Orb Project is F2P. Seems to me that this minigame and it's rewards are pretty hot stuff for F2P.

-I am surprised that Jagex introduces P2P quests through holiday events, and allows F2Pers to participate.

-I am surprised that Fist of Guthix is F2P. The armour rewards are now trash, but the gloves are pretty decent.

Begin the debate.

1. You would have the problem of using blood runes, but maybe this can be overcome by adding blood runes to f2p. But NO this would NOT change the magic class's survival rate. There DESPERATELY needs to be a set of kiting spells to make meleers helpless. What the last thing we need to do for mages is to make it easier on them. Increasing max hit dumbs the mind. Magic should be a very strategic skill, but it lacks a good catalyst: kiting spells. Add that, and even blast spells would suffice.

2. Maybe, but then it would break the pattern. But allowing chaos rune crafting would lower the price even more. 100 gp per chaos is good enough. Any less would make mages in the lower level tiers more prevelant and maybe more powerful than need be.

3. Rune arrows and yew bows yes. Blue dhide, no. Considering that rune arrows are just that, rune, they should be f2p. They are lvl 40 weapons. therefore, there needs to be a consistency. The blue dhide is lvl 50 armor. Perhaps they could add some "corrupt" red dragonhide armor, but green dhide is good enough considering that I can fairly easily take out a meleer in range equipment.

4 & 6. The mage armor was long overdue since the previous armor was merely robes that gave about +15 magic attack. Now the max is +31. Druidic robes are not trash. They can be the difference between victory and defeat in a war.

well said. Thats really the best ideas that i have seen. But explain the kiting. I still don't get it.

minni_wynn2.png

minni_wynn2.png

f2p might do nicely if they had

yew bows/rune arrows

snare/wave spells.

a new quest every now and then

seriously, f2p get literaly almost no updates.

most recent f2p update, pvp worlds, lol

Indie_Kids.png

"Don't push me; what's the hurry?" - Imogen Heap

f2p might do nicely if they had

yew bows/rune arrows

snare/wave spells.

a new quest every now and then

seriously, f2p get literaly almost no updates.

most recent f2p update, pvp worlds, lol

Actually wasn't the last F2p update the Christmas event/quest? Sorry nit-picking now.

I don't believe that F2p deserve many updates as the whole point is that we get bored and thus upgrade to members.

I think that the best way for F2p to get updates is items that benefit P2per's too. Examples could be:

enabling F2p to craft chaos runes (will make them cheaper due to increase in supply)

More treasure trail items (this will benefit P2per's as the prices for their rewards would increase as F2p would have to buy them)

Legil_galad2.png

Woodcutting does not raise your combat level because most people do not play as yew trees.

What do F2Pers actually deserve? Nothing. The game is designed, according to Jagex, to have 100-ish hours of gameplay before becoming a member. Are you asking Jagex to give up their revanue when you all add nothing to it?

runescapess162607v.jpg

Dragon drops: Half shield(cs), med helm(cs) Chainbody (cs) (I do a lot of monster hunting with my clan!

Barrows: Guthan's plateboy [1]

GWD: None yet, only done a few trips

Others: I'd love to be able to let you know.

GentleAura.png

To my ideas.

Begin the debate.

well said. Thats really the best ideas that i have seen. But explain the kiting. I still don't get it.

since you asked, here's kiting in a a nutshell:

Mage casts spell that freezes meleer in place. Mage uses spell that allows the mage to out run the meleer for an extended period. When meleer dies, mage laughs at the stupidity of meleer for not running away or teleporting.

I must confess, kiting is a key element in mage/hunter vs. warrior in WoW (WoW has ideal pvp so it's obvious to try to incorporate some of the pvp mechanics.) kiting is also like this. Anyone who has fought in a f2p war in the tipit war rankings most likely has taken note late in the game about the crucial aspect of tanking. When everyone except the tank has run out of rune energy, the tank has a MUCH better chance of survival because meleers are restricted in range of attack.

If you want a summary of kiting in one sentence, here it is:

Kiting is literally running circles around a warrior and preventing him from attacking.

Because we don't have different speeds in running, (we have the standard of 0 and then running +1, not 0 and then lowering speed to -1), run energy is the key to kiting. The only way to kite in runescape would be to decrease the target's run energy.

The ONLY GOOD way to do this is morrigan's throwing axe special which drains rune energy 4 times faster. However, we don't have a sudden decrease (by about 30%), then we have to also run. By running, we may lose track of the target of screen. Morrigan's axe is currently the only way to effectively kite. Karil's has potential, but it decreases agility instead of rune energy. But what is the serious problem is that f2p has absolutely NO way of kiting. P2p can go buy the M axe for 25k each and use ava's accumulator. F2p can't. Kiting is the cornerstone that is missing in the so called strategy of mages:

A mage's defense is the distance between their opponents.

What do F2Pers actually deserve? Nothing. The game is designed, according to Jagex, to have 100-ish hours of gameplay before becoming a member. Are you asking Jagex to give up their revanue when you all add nothing to it?

If the Legend of Zelda lacked two dungeons out of nine when the creators promised nine and people bought the game or even received the game for free, wouldn't they be asking, "What the hell? Where are the two levels?"

What if there was an epic bug in pokemon that prevented people from going into the next gym? "I'm sorry, you paid for the game and actually playing it doesn't do anything for us. You don't earn us revenue so [cabbage] off."

how would you feel?

Jagex SHOULD update f2p to fix things. If there is no problem, then Jagex should not update that aspect. If there IS a problem, then Jagex SHOULD and usually will fix the problem. Why? Well, let's say Nintendo actually did do what I described. They would lose potential and existing customers. Now, f2p might not earn Jagex money, but is that actually true? For all we know, adverts may contribute to a fourth of Jagex's income. Unless there is actual SPECIFIC (none of that, "The average advert costs $X," crap) evidence that the cost for running and the income from adverts cancels out, then it must be assumed that Jagex keeps that game running because it earns substantial income (Three most powerful motivators: Fear, Honor, and Money). Now, activity for updating f2p runs in a parabolic graph. Too frequent amounts of update will lose subscribers. Too occasional updates will lose advert watchers and potential customers. Therefore, Jagex should ONLY update f2p when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary or will not impact game balance.

Oh boy ... I love debates like this :D

First off, we must all think rationally and really understand what is going on. For this we must first understand what Jagex (the makers of Runescape) wants. Jagex is a business and they want money. Andrew (the creator of Jagex and Runescape) want to all make revenue, but also want the game to be what he wants and not for it to turn into those modern day crap games. He has a vision and with this vision he also wants to make money.

Let's be honest. Runescape isn't a great game. I mean, seriously an xbox 360 with wi-fi seems more entertaining to the videogame virgin then it does to a browser game like Runescape. He does Jagex popularize this game. Make a free demo with no expiration dates. success :thumbsup: There will be advertisements running on to make some money which is always nice and wait. wait! There is a full version of the game with more everything. more content! more quests and monsters etc. You see once you are at the free to play stage and want more content because you are losing interest, you want to buy the membership where jagex makes the billions of dollars they have.

Don't get me wrong. Adverts make money, but not nearly as much as members. F2P is simply hooking a customer onto the game so that they will be set up to buy membership. With no expiration dates, Runescape can become a popular game with millions of active accounts. Now you see if there are no expiration dates... then what makes a f2per become a member? that is simply because when you become a member you get much more content which is why Jagex limits F2P to certain things. Jagex wants to make money and they want you to get membership.

Simple as that. Why does Jagex even do additions for f2p then? They want Runescape to still be popular and they want to excite the audience. A simple corrupt weapon for a pvp update could get a player excited and realize that all he needs to do is pay 5$ a month and he will have that weapon forever and along with other features. It gets them excited and makes them want more.

Jagex will eventually implement new updates that can be considered big in F2P, but for this to happen there must be some hell of an update coming up in the full membership version. Jagex gave pvp weapon additions so that f2pers can get a taste of the funs of pking and if they like the idea of pking and better weapons, then what kind of dummy wouldn't sign up?

This is mainly why Jagex will never fulfill the requests of all f2pers. Adverts make money, but all Jagex wants is to go all the way which is to get you to buy membership.