State of the community

Fromfirst2Last1987

Over the years of playing runescape the community has changed. It was once a close tight nit group of people. then came the miniclip era where all the younger kids started coming and things got a little immature. over time the miniclippers started to thin or they just decided to mature. and now were in the era where your either a nolifer or a newb. if you could what era would you have rather played in. and i know 90 percent will say the tight nit group. but i would have to say i quite enjoyed the miniclippers. they added some annoyance to the game lol

Dragon Drops: 5 medium helmet, 3 left shield half

Obby: Maul 1, Cape 1, Shield 1

SO thats where the term MC comes from Miniclippers, yep the annoying guys on ze radio.

i think the reason it was tight nit is because the game wasnt really established as it is now, doesnt matter where you go in life theres going to be always something that bugs you, and same goes for games.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I don't know, I wasn't there at the start. But I'd think knowing pretty much everyone would be kind of boring.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I'm not gonna lie, I joined during the miniclip era (very early ish though) and I'd go back to that community if I could. It was when RS was still gaining popularity, back when D chains cost 30m and when my old homeworld W3 wasn't overrun by merchants, and packed the brim with people..

I'd love to get all nostalgic, but I'll save that for another day. I would love to go back to that era if I could, and maybe even the rsc era just to see how things were back then.

[94/99 Ranged][87/99 HP][80/85 Def][70/70 Pray]

I'd like to be playing NOW. Go back in a day with a crappy combat system, half the skills, nowhere near as many weapons and horribly unbalanced game elements? No thanks, everyone sees the past through rose-tinted glasses.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Every "era" of Runescape has had a problem with its community. Some people are never contented. There have always been fools and idiots and there always will be. The earlier days (2001-2004) weren't all they're cracked up to be. It's progress. The longer something is out the more it is "tainted" by the plague of more people. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you associate yourself with fools and idiots you're going to have a skewed perception of the community; there are always going to be people who can't stand losing, or people that hate you because you choose to train your character a certain way. That's a fact.

Every "era" of Runescape has had a problem with its community. Some people are never contented. There have always been fools and idiots and there always will be. The earlier days (2001-2004) weren't all they're cracked up to be. It's progress.

True:

"well i wanna go back to the old times like when i started out i went to the east varrok mines and only 1 person was there" -Xavier, 6 May 2001

"ahh the old rs days i loved it back then i wish andrew would just restart every ones names and cut the max users on to 500 then it will be fun as the old days" -Death Chick, 1st August 2001

"Although it may seem like Runescape is at it's peak and will keep growing, im my eye it's dieing. It's original players are losing interest and this game has lost it's original spirit. So I say in advance... Rest In Peace Runescape" -Poetry in Motion, 14 March 2002

"i miss the old days also when everyone was nice and generous. " - Ronnie J, 25 March 2002

"I hate runescape these days. Back then it was a community, now its like every man for himself. People were generous and actually enjoyed the game!" -Endasil, 4th April 2002

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

We're like a bunch of old men, sitting around talking about the good old days where people actually bothered to stop in the street to say hello and all, but we forget back in the day as well a cut could kill you via tetanus, mobs lynched you if you were a little darker than everyone else and water had to be pumped from a well.

Air_Dragon15.png

I like to think of Runescape like it's a town. Once the coal mines are established, it booms. Along with it comes economic boosts and thus more opening for making money. The same can be applied to Runescape. That said, I like Runescape as it is now.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

the comunity i would like to live in would be the period in time when we had free trade but the ge was there. restricted trade ruined the comunities greatest achievment, world 2 falador, there was such a great amount of organization and over 750k people were in on it.

Y_Z.png

the comunity i would like to live in would be the period in time when we had free trade but the ge was there. restricted trade ruined the comunities greatest achievment, world 2 falador, there was such a great amount of organization and over 750k people were in on it.

W2 GE is nicely organized, and the game is no longer spoiled by bots and RWT.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

It's not immaturity that bothers me right now, it's ignorance and dependance. Ignorace is such things as the cannon supposedly making you lose points (or not gain points), which is absolute bull [cabbage] and everyone who has looked the gaem up knows this.

Dependance applies to every single person who has asked for directions to someolace that is not in a dungeon or otehrwise not on the ground floor since the HD update, and to about half the people who asked directions etc. before the HD update. When I was a newb, younger, and alot less mature and lacking in problem solving ability (compared to what I can do now), I got a newbie map. Then, Jagex intoroduced the world map, and I used that. To be fair, some people couldn't open that map, it was a genuine problem. But most people could have, and ever since it's intigration into the game with HD, there is no reason anyone should ever ask how to get to a city because there is a map that auto focuses on your present location.

When people reach the point where they really can't solve problems on there own with resonable effort, they usualy go to goole and find a help site such as this one. Thats what happened to myself.

The people who can't do holiday events (or even find teh start point) are a fine example of people who can't help themselves. This may be because they are 8 years old and physicly don't have the mental capacity to solve these types of problems (i'm sorry, if you can't solve a hypothetical question, which comes around 12 years old, then you should not be playing this game), it might be because there mother drank beer and smoked pot during pregnancy, maybe there just stupid. The thing is, if you actualy read the update you can usualy figure it out, especialy if you read the KB article too.

People who can't even try to help themselves annoy me to no end, and unfortunatyl RuneScape has had these people from the beggining (they just quit really fast during classic). Honestly, I woudl go back to the community that produced inteligent conversation at the karamja docks in f2p. When I became mems a year ago, all you could get in that area were stupid people who thought they were experts on all subjects, and people who spouted racial slurs like it was the cure for cancer.

No offence, but can we start thinking up more oriniginal topics for general discussion? This issue of immaturity has been around these forums for years. Everyone knows there are immature kids, there is really nothing to discuss. You just have to deal with them and be glad you have mature friends.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

amen to that. looking at the past holiday event i looked on the world map to find where the head imp is, which was also stated on the update article. then when i realized during the event what i was looking for the world map even had the white snow spots where jack frost could be and people were still lost

http://www.slash7.com/pages

It was forced on me to read this when I was 13 or so. I was playing one of those tight knit games where the games secondary to the community. It was a mainly IRC community, with a Wiki for information. Eventually people got pissed off about telling me to going to the wiki all of the time, and gave me the link. And then I read it and nearly cried. It was very touching(just joking about that, but it made me look at myself in a new way, and I've become, hopefully, more well educated since).

Goldflame.png

Click here to learn the best profit from MTK.

I believe that the 'community' of Runescape has changed and will change as the numbers grow in the fact that not everyone can possible know everyone. In the days of Runescape Classic everyone knew everyone else much like a small country town but as it grows it's just impossible to remember or even meet everyone who plays especially if you have a 'home world'.

But that brings up another idea that maybe the communities are in these home world as I know being in world 99 and 15 a lot I see the same people day in and day out, I may not have them added or even be friends with them but still they are part of the group of world ** and I will always be interested in any topics they start or any blogs they have.

Even though we cannot know everyone we still try to help each other, usually seen in older players as some younger kids often don't know the basic morals or the things that you do.

I hope that over time people in world 99 and 15 become my friends and I dive deeper into the 'home world' community and I hope that even though we as players do not know each other we still try to help each other if we can.

John_Pax.png

I came from MiniClip, and I was only 13 when I started... I don't get why people think it's so bad that people found the game from MiniClip or started when they were young... Who cares as long as they don't act like totaly idiots while playing.

its just the fact 90 percent of miniclippers acted like idiots. and yes i made that percentage up but majority of miniclippers were idiots. they seemed to have matured as of late

I was a very prolific member of the Miniclip Runescape forums. If anyone else posts/posted there, I was Chamillitary.

I moved here because the community died off.

I came from MiniClip, and I was only 13 when I started... I don't get why people think it's so bad that people found the game from MiniClip or started when they were young... Who cares as long as they don't act like totaly idiots while playing.

its just the fact 90 percent of miniclippers acted like idiots. and yes i made that percentage up but majority of miniclippers were idiots. they seemed to have matured as of late

Lol, not quite. Have you ever posted there? The bulk of the users during those times are some of the best I know. I made so many friends there, I'm strongly against the idea that people there act like idiots because I know from experience. They're not, and you are for just saying that with 0 justification.

canuck.png

sigmaker.png

I was a very prolific member of the Miniclip Runescape forums. If anyone else posts/posted there, I was Chamillitary.

I moved here because the community died off.

Lol, not quite. Have you ever posted there? The bulk of the users during those times are some of the best I know. I made so many friends there, I'm strongly against the idea that people there act like idiots because I know from experience. They're not, and you are for just saying that with 0 justification.

Maybe the miniclippers on the forums were not idiots, but the ones in the game were. Also, I just saw a save of an old runescape forum page, and it seems that we have gotten smarter as a group since around 2001... The owner(Andrew, or Paul) was the only one who could actually spell ANY words correctly, or had even heard of grammar, punctuation or spell check.

Goldflame.png

Click here to learn the best profit from MTK.