Sara Sword or Dragon Scim?

Mr_Adam

I plan to train strength to 85 or higher as soon as I reach 80 defense (which should be today, probably), and I was wondering whether or not it would be better to train with a Dragon Scimitar + Rune Defender, or buy a Sara Sword.

Note, that I'll be training through slayer mostly, and if I want to buy a SS, I'll have to sell My fury amulet, and something else.

Normally I would just spam you with the sara sword is better stuff because it is.The problem is you mentioned that you need to sell something to be able to afford one though, if you could sell something not combat related then I would say go for it, but my advice would be to compare the stats if the sara sword and the item you would sell.

Dragon scimitar gets the job done and is also way cheaper than the Saradomin sword. But if you really really like a SS then go and buy it because it's nice to throw cash into the sea and have fun in the game. Staring at those cash is not your definition of fun I hope. ::'

Hmm but seriously a Scimitar is a good enough weapon without having to shell out 7m or so...for that special attack and that teeny bit of higher damage. Well that's just my opinion though..

Scimitar > SS

Just my two cents. if you're willing to buy ss, you might as well save up for a gs.

[hide=Quote From Clan]ss = poor mans gs[/hide]

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

If you're buying a Saradomin Sword solely for strength training, the extra 3-6k exp an hour is not worth it. With two handed weaponry comes less speed and accuracy, which is a trade off I'm not willing to make when it comes to strength training--it's tedious enough as it is.

EDIT: Not to mention that if you choose to continue training strength while doing slayer, you might find yourself in a situation where you need your shield arm open for use, like with Skeletal Wyverns or Dragons of any sort.

I had the OPTION to buy a Saradomin Sword from level 85 strength. I chose not to buy it (when they were 11mil) and trained to 94 purely on my scimitar.

If you're going to sell objects in pursuit of buying another, I wouldn't sell your Amulet of Fury imo. You should be aiming to maximize your strength bonus in any way you can so you can hit harder more often. Especially with slayer--it too, is tedious enough to train without hitting as best you can.

hzvjpwS.gif

sarasword is ALOT better for slayer, as scim fails miserably at waterfiends and gargoyles, where ss is a beast

Also you will get a good 5k+ exp plus an hour reguardless compared to scim so its a great investment for slayer

ilovecardj.png

ilovecardj.png

Dragon Drops: 80+ boots, 7 med, 3 skirt, 2 left half, 2 Spear, 2 2h

Slayer: 30+ whips, 4 Bows, 1 Mask, 3 Granite Legs, 1 Visage (Wyverns)

Notable GWD Splits: Bandos Tassets: 12, Bandos Chest: 11, Bandos Hilt: 2

Proud Slayer of 99 Att/Str/Def/HP/Range/Summoning

if you buy a SS make sure you check the grand exchange for price fluctuations. It is a prime item for merchanting clans to do some speculating on.

Which means the price goes up and down. If you are really tight on money it might be worth while to try to aim your purchase in one of the dips instead of at a peak.

Currently I wouldn't buy one for this reason alone if your money is tight. It went up 140k today because of speculating.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Scimitar > SS

Just my two cents. if you're willing to buy ss, you might as well save up for a gs.

*ss = poor mans gs*

On second thougth I'm not going to say what I thought to say when I saw that post...

The above quote is simply...

WRONG

Godswords are not for training, they are for dealing out damage against stronger monsters. In any situation where you are trying to do damage, a whip and dfs or defender would be better than a sara sword, so that comparison is completely useless. You may or may not have noticed that several people buy BOTH because they are the best items for their specialized uses.

I've got a personal problem with using a fury, what with the no teleport havingness and greater possible loss on death, but even so, it's never a good idea to spend all of your money.

I would suggest that you use a scimitar until you can afford a ss and have at least 2m left over to cover unforseen costs.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

A fury is more worthwhile than a SS so do NOT sell your fury for a SS.

In fact if you have to sell anything to buy a SS it's not worth it for you.

Don't get me wrong I am a firm believer in using a SS over scimitars for STR training. (I dunno what Lady_Ninane is talking about, the SS is faster and I find it to be more accurate than a Dragon Scimmy) Even though the SS is only 3k+ better exp/hour when you are in the 80's and going for 90+ or even 99 that extra 3k or more adds up a lot.

Maybe if you get a slayer task and hit big with a Vissage drop or something like that then look into getting a SS. If not, then I would advise just sticking with the D-scimmy + Defender and NOT selling any items to get a SS.

Apparently, my signature was to big.

Yup, stick to the scimmy. When I got 99 strength, I dumped the SS. It's really not worth it.

I'd use a whip on controlled. Best weapon in the game.

But a sara sword and glory> dragon scimitar+defender+fury.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Not to go out on a tangent but training each skill separately results in faster exp than controlled. (In theory)

Everyone, who doesn't train controlled, tends to train like this:

Str then Att then Def

Since they can hit higher, they will gain att exp faster. Since they can hit higher and more often the will gain faster def exp. In theory.

So if you train controlled then you are missing out on the "faster" defence and attack exp since your levels will be the same. Make sense?

Again this is all theory, but it makes sense. You will get to 99 defence faster with 99 att and str at 90 defence than you will with 90 attack and str at 90 defence. :-#

Apparently, my signature was to big.

Not to go out on a tangent but training each skill separately results in faster exp than controlled. (In theory)

Everyone, who doesn't train controlled, tends to train like this:

Str then Att then Def

Since they can hit higher, they will gain att exp faster. Since they can hit higher and more often the will gain faster def exp. In theory.

So if you train controlled then you are missing out on the "faster" defence and attack exp since your levels will be the same. Make sense?

Again this is all theory, but it makes sense. You will get to 99 defence faster with 99 att and str at 90 defence than you will with 90 attack and str at 90 defence. :-#

Seeing someone actually realize that on their own brings a tear to my eye :cry: Maybe soon I won't have to write frikken essays explaining that to people.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

If you're buying a Saradomin Sword solely for strength training, the extra 3-6k exp an hour is not worth it. With two handed weaponry comes less speed and accuracy, which is a trade off I'm not willing to make when it comes to strength training--it's tedious enough as it is.

EDIT: Not to mention that if you choose to continue training strength while doing slayer, you might find yourself in a situation where you need your shield arm open for use, like with Skeletal Wyverns or Dragons of any sort.

I had the OPTION to buy a Saradomin Sword from level 85 strength. I chose not to buy it (when they were 11mil) and trained to 94 purely on my scimitar.

If you're going to sell objects in pursuit of buying another, I wouldn't sell your Amulet of Fury imo. You should be aiming to maximize your strength bonus in any way you can so you can hit harder more often. Especially with slayer--it too, is tedious enough to train without hitting as best you can.

Um, the sarasword is FASTER then scimmy

Actually no, Whip/Sara Sword/D Scimmy all have the exact same attack speed. But I understand what you mean, Lady is saying the Sara Sword is slower than other 2-handers but it's actually same speed as whip and d scimmy.

Simo498.png

Scimitar > SS

[hide=Quote From Clan]ss = poor mans gs[/hide]

An ss is something completely different to a gs on terms of use. It's like comparing a chisel to a pick, one might be much more useful in a certain situation but the other is still needed.

SS kills GS in standard training, but GS is nice for boss hunting and high def monsters (mainly referring to dark beasts). And if you just look at the stats of an SS you'll see how silly it is to say Scimitar > SS. If you have the money, why not use it? You will always be able to sell it back for what's highly likely to be a full refund.

However, I'd advise a d scimmy in your case, since you'd have to sell fury (and apparently even more). While you'd still be getting higher xp/rates with a glory and SS, you'd be sacrificing alot of defence. Not to mention the epic look of a fury <3:

Training to 99 strength, it's pretty *THE* best investment you can make. that 3-6k xp/hr makes a massive difference over time. I went 60-90 with d scimmy and 90-99 with SS, the difference was massive once I decided to upgrade to a ss. Again though, if you're going to have to sell armour of your back for the SS, keep the d scimmy.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|