Shockingly awful grammar

Poopingman

[hide=Crap]
To be fair, on the internet language is played around with so much that there are so many weird alterations on the words we use. As long as it is understandable I am alright with it, but often it is quite stupid and needless, for example, '1337' speech.

If its worth doing once, its worth doing right.

If its worth doing twice, its worth doing right.

If its worth doing three times, and you still don't get it, your an idiot.

^ you're not your?

Because

I Salying Nat Runez 5k, Samoen!

Aney Whon? Samoen I Saly Nat Runez 5k

=
your

Gtfo.

Capital B between friends it is perfectly acceptable.

Dont start sentences with but, or capitals BUT when it is to someone you may have never spoke to or met it's annoying, great way to good off a good impression.. Wreaks are things like sunken boats, crashed planes, and etc. You failed so hard even GOOGLE suggested you use "reeks"wreaks of "i do not know the English language well".

Capital I if anything Runescape should IMPROVE peoples english, or other language.

Now, uh, what about my your?

To be fair, on the internet language is played around with so much that there are so many weird alterations on the words we use. As long as it is understandable I am alright with it, but often it is quite stupid and needless, for example, '1337' speech.

If it's its worth doing once, it's its worth doing right.

If it's its worth doing twice, it's its worth doing right.

If it's its worth doing three times, and you still don't get it, your an idiot.

^ you're not your?

[/hide]

You flametards are missing the point.

Its one thing to miss a few damn letters on your keyboard by accident, or forget apostrophes (who uses these anyway?) but to spell like that person did? Thats the point of this thread. Not pointing out everyones mistakes because you want to be witty and increase your e-penor length. I did it once to make a point. Its not funny anymore, and its flaming. Keep it up and I'll report it.

Allot of people use apostrophes..

I pointed out one, one word and you decided to go through an entire paragraph i wrote trying to increase "your e-penor length" due to a few mistakes, to which i had to help you out. I had even said it may have errors in which you failed to read which to me says .. "you failed so hard".

If anything your post is flaming you "flametard" and i will also report.

Obviously you have a temper to, maybe you will sort that out?

buzz_knight.png

buzz_knight.png

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont mind people who make grammar mistakes on runescape or the internet for that matter. The internet is world wide and sometimes the case is that English might not be a native language to individuals. i understand this and nobody really wants to spend time making sure their grammar is good or just type really fast and do abbreviations like ttyl, brb. thats fine. what that person was saying in the GE had to be done on purpose. there is no way to have that type of bad grammar.

lol for a moment there i was gonna take you serious then i look at your name lol "poopingman"

Amrite

Ever thought that the people could have a learning disorder?

Yes 90% of runescape has a learning disorder.

That disorder is being 12.

I, personally, resent that remark.

I've been playing since I was, ohh.. nine. I think I haven't mangled words as badly as I've seen other people mangling them since I was ten, which was three years ago.

Please, remember: age =/= intelligence, ability to spell, maturity, or sanity. I'm not perfect -- no one is -- but I try my hardest to spell correctly, especially on 'teh intarwebs'.

Now stop calling the immature people twelve-year-olds (try nine year old instead :P ) and do more important things, like having fun.

I say this because the majority of rs is 12 and they are too lazy to have good grammar.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

It seems that many people think that all poor English is attributable to poor grammar, which is false. Grammar is not an umbrella term that defines language proficiency and correctness, but rather the rules of the language per se. So, using 'barrow' instead of 'borrow' is not a mistake of poor grammar, but poor word choice/spelling. Phrases such as 'Where your house?' is poor grammar, as it misses the 'is' between the first and second words, thus violating a rule of the language.

By my experience, errors in punctuation, spelling and word choice (vocabulary) are more prevalent than those in grammar. Apostrophes, for example, are misused so incredibly often, becoming a self-propagating vicious cycle. As people start to see misused apostrophes more and more often, they start to develop a thinking that they are actually being used correctly. This is much like how the word 'awkward', which originally meant positioned in a wrong direction, had its meaning replaced by 'weird' through persistent misuse. While mistakes such as using 'their' instead of 'they're', 'your' instead of 'you're', and 'its' instead of 'it's' (and vice versa) are indeed commonplace, I must say that the most common mistake is the use of apostrophes in pluralization. It is quite incredible how many people think that words that need to be pluralized by adding an 's' suffix require an apostrophe in front of it. Things like 'nature's', 'PK's', 'dragon's', 'Tokkul's', 'Kyatt's', 'Lvl's' and even 'thank's' all perpetrate this atrocity.

No doubt not everyone is a native speaker of the language, and indeed not all native speakers are as proficient or intellectually capable as one would like them to be. One can only try to use perfect English everywhere, and hope that these intellectual advertisements suffice to lure the wayward to the brighter side. It is perhaps a futile hope. I have yet to see anyone on TIF use flawless English all the time.

Hegel.png

These grammar/spelling rants always bring out the nerd in people who can't wait for one of these posts to come along so that they can demonstrate how knowledgable they are. No-one likes a smart aleck with the exception of themselves. I think the original post showed an example of deliberate mis-spelling and that the author probably thought they were being 'cute'. Sometimes it's deliberate, sometimes people's spelling isn't much cop. I find the deliberate stuff is a bit irritating, especially when they've obviously tried too hard, but sometimes creative, but it doesn't wind me up, and it doesn't mean society is headed down the Swanee. I think that people who don't have a problem with spelling ought to stop being so up their own backsides about it and cut the people who find spelling a bit of a mystery a break.

Don't follow me. You might not make it.

All your accounts are belong to us now.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator

• 2 weeks later...

lyke wdf? dun b sch a nerd kai, i bet ur some nerd whu getz bullied n haz 2 tak his angar out on peepz wit ur nerd talk. itz da internat iight? peepz dun have 2 talk lyke u nerdz!!

Thats what I might expect my writting to look like if I were to try touch typing really fast...with my eyes closed.

some one but mu syidd pleasde

^I did that with my eyes closed.

The worst grammar is definately people asking to "barrow" items. Seriously, about 85% of people in W2 GE say it.... -.-

They're asking to one day plunder your grave, murder your ghost (again) and steal your earthly possessions. Makes perfect sense. Nub.

emot-downsrim.gif

Seriously though: The only spelling thing that gets on my nerves is when people use numbers. Cultural barriers aside, there is absolutely NO reason to use numbers in your spelling, except to indicate numbers.

Right: I have 8 dollars

Wrong: I made u a cookie, but i 8 it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

2) They're dyslexic.

That's only a very small percentage and by far doesn't cover everyone.

20% of the people in the world are dyslexic. so that could be a big part of the reason of the bad spelling and do not blame them. i mean some of them do it on purpose. but most dont. :thumbsup: :D

2) They're dyslexic.

20% of the people in the world are dyslexic. so that could be a big part of the reason of the bad spelling and do not blame them. i mean some of them do it on purpose. but most dont. :thumbsup: :D

I'm dyslexic. It means I have an excuse if I type "stuipd" (which i do like crazy) but not "stoopeid". It doesn't mean I get a free ticket to spell words however I want, I just tend to flip things around. Not that I do anyway, it's pretty easy to overcome.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

2) They're dyslexic.

A lot of people online who claim to have dyslexia, aspergers, bipolar, ADD, etc, are self diagnosed and only looking for sympathy.

Unless Runescape has an odd attraction to those with dyslexia, in which case it would totally explain why 90% of posts on the RSOF show a complete lack of attention to the actual game itself ("I want free trades cuz free trads r gud n i want dem")

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

d00d yal r soo s7upid dis iz da entarwebz en u dunt need praper spelin und gramer on da entarwebsz ur all neewbbzzzeeesss.

That was purposfully typing bad, and I can barely read it. Now, my eyes closed. (same sentence)

dude, youall are so stupif. this is tjr inyrtnry, uoi fon'y nrrf ptoprt dprllinh snf htsmmst in yhr inyrtnry. your aoo jrebd.

^If you can't read that, you are an idiot.

omg u guys r all a bunch of phonies bc u r just trying to win a argument by crying about everyones splling and grammer chill out it the internet and u r to mad about a few spelling misttaks u should just forgive them its 2009 and we r in a hurry

My least favorite mythical creature is the troll.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

omg u guys r all a bunch of phonies bc u r just trying to win a argument by crying about everyones splling and grammer chill out it the internet and u r to mad about a few spelling misttaks u should just forgive them its 2009 and we r in a hurry

Thank you for proving my point, you idiot. :lol:

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Thank you for proving my point, you idiot. :lol:

He's an account trolling for flames, see his other thread. Let him be banned in peace... :P

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

What irks me more than people who don't use grammar at all are people who use partial good grammar and then complain about others.

The main things they leave out are apostrophes. They also fail to capitalize proper nouns.

Oh, but by far, I hate it when people use JaGEx Incorrectly. It's an innocent mistake, so I don't really get mad, but still...

Example: "JaGEx are attempting to rectify the problem."

JaGEx is a single company. therefore it should be:

"JaGEx is attempting to rectify the problem."

Maybe if you wanted to use JaGEx to refer to a single member, you could say 'JaGi', like cactus and cacti.

I've even heard J-Mods use JaGEx incorrectly...

2dgucz6.png

"L support"

You cannot abbreviate a three letter abbreviation. Anyone who uses 'L' in place of LOL earns my eternal IRE.

It's been my understanding that 'lol' means laughing out loud. Now going off of this, I would have to say that when people use 'L' they generally mean that they are laughing - although not necessarily out loud.