Jan. 7 Poll Clues! Sailing Skill [NEW] Exploration Skill

Gandorf61

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Level 1 sailing: ability to build a failboat.'

I just had to signature this.

OT: Sailing seems like a great idea... but I just can't see it happening. I'm not sure Jagex would do all the work to make it enjoyable, such as adding all the new areas you can venture to and such. Though, I could be wrong. It would be a pretty massive update though.

My proof is that there hasn't been any word about it by jagex who nowdays lay good hints about this kind of thing.

[hide=]Negative proof, the fallacy of appealing to lack of proof of the negative, is a logical fallacy of the following form:

"X is true because there is no proof that X is false."

It is asserted that a proposition is true, only because it has not been proven false. The negative proof fallacy often occurs in the debate of the existence of supernatural phenomena, in the following form:

"A supernatural force must exist, because there is no proof that it does not exist".

However, the fallacy can also occur when the predicate of a subject is denied:

"Religious people haven't been able to produce conclusive evidence to support the existence of a "God", therefore such a being must not exist."

[/hide]

In other words, just because we have no proof that doesn't automatically mean it is definitely not true which you seem to be saying.

There is very little hype, theres the same 4-5 people posting hype about it here, and the whole rest of the thread is numerous people hating it.

Wow, talk about blowing statistics out of proportion to prove a point.

And lack of imagination is not my reason for disliking, its the fact i can pay x gp to get to almost anywhere already, the fact this would nullify various peices of travel in rs, the fact jagex would need to increase rs map size tenfold to make even enough area to be worthwhile, and the fact there has been NO solid hints, 1 word in a sentance, thats what people are basing a whole skill on.

You assume that the only aspect of Sailing is transportation from point A to point B. Whether you want to deny it or not, that is lack of imagination. That's the same as saying, "L0l Prayer?! Who wants a skill where you sit in church on your butt all day?!roflmayo"

And lack of imagination is not my reason for disliking, its the fact i can pay x gp to get to almost anywhere already, the fact this would nullify various peices of travel in rs, the fact jagex would need to increase rs map size tenfold to make even enough area to be worthwhile, and the fact there has been NO solid hints, 1 word in a sentance, thats what people are basing a whole skill on.

You assume that the only aspect of Sailing is transportation from point A to point B. Whether you want to deny it or not, that is lack of imagination. That's the same as saying, "L0l Prayer?! Who wants a skill where you sit in church on your butt all day?!roflmayo"

Agreed, if they released the skill it'd be a whole new continent IMO a region of islands so you wont be able to PAY X gp to get there

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Agreed, if they released the skill it'd be a whole new continent IMO a region of islands so you wont be able to PAY X gp to get there

Tell you guys what. All these "OMG SAILING IS FAILING" people have got me going. I will spend the next few days working on an in depth view of what sailing could really be like. I will include levels, abilites, new locations, etc. I will go full out. I will post it here when done.

cool_sig1.jpg

^ Sounds cool, I would do something like that but I'm not one for writing really in depth ideas or guides. Good luck, and can't wait to see it when its done. ;)

Rofl at prayer skillz. :lol:

^ Sounds cool, I would do something like that but I'm not one for writing really in depth ideas or guides. Good luck, and can't wait to see it when its done. ;)

Rofl at prayer skillz. :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement. And does anybody know what font Jagex uses by chance?

And by the way, i will be watermarking EVERYTHING so nobody can spread fake hype about sailing.

cool_sig1.jpg

There still is one problem with this "exploring new lands" idea.

Jagex will need to make A LOT of new places to actually make it a fun skill to do, and releasing this content might raise the system reqs for playing RS to epic heights. Not to mention all the lagg.

You could say: "then release a few islands and release more later on", then it's Summoning batch 1 all over again.

priest_wiz.png

Jagex will need to make A LOT of new places to actually make it a fun skill to do, and releasing this content might raise the system reqs for playing RS to epic heights.

The system reqs for playing RS are completely independent of the size of the world map. After all, only a fraction of the world map is used at any time (hence the "loading - please wait" message you get when you move a significant distance).

"Noob" is an insult. "Noob" is overused. Be polite. Try to say "noob" less than once a day.

Thank you.

Jagex will need to make A LOT of new places to actually make it a fun skill to do, and releasing this content might raise the system reqs for playing RS to epic heights.

The system reqs for playing RS are completely independent of the size of the world map. After all, only a fraction of the world map is used at any time (hence the "loading - please wait" message you get when you move a significant distance).

Exactly. The requirements are pretty low considering the content anyways.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Exactly. The requirements are pretty low considering the content anyways.

Not to mention they have it actively loading now too so you rarely get the "loading - please wait" message now.

Sailing update: I have modified a few pictures currently and am in the process of making a skill interface (its coming along nicely). My report of it being out in a few days now seems rather optimistic, it may well be next week before i relase it. But i hope to have it finished by the weekend.

cool_sig1.jpg

You can create new pictures of an interface, Jagex isn't going to release the skill. Also, your new skill interface will most likely not be the same way the creators of Runescape picture the next interface.

Well we know Jagex reads the tip.it forums sometimes so there is a very good chance they may come across this and use it for inspiration for a new minigame/quest/skill.

His interface may not be the same but what is the harm in trying?

You can create new pictures of an interface, Jagex isn't going to release the skill. Also, your new skill interface will most likely not be the same way the creators of Runescape picture the next interface.

Once again do you have proof that Jagex will never release this skill in the history of Runescape?

I think not.

Well I agree with the second sentence, but as for the other one - you have no evidence that they aren't going to release the skill. Unless Jagex makes an announcement that states, "We will never be making a Sailing Skill," it is still always fair game.

Well I agree with the second sentence, but as for the other one - you have no evidence that they aren't going to release the skill. Unless Jagex makes an announcement that states, "We will never be making a Sailing Skill," it is still always fair game.

50/50?

NICKELEY102.png

Okay, im all up for this 'sailing/exploration' skill;

however, im confounded as to how it would be fun ?!

Hunter = catch things to train ::'

Farming = grow things to train ::'

Fletching = Cut things out of wood to train ::'

Sailing = travel?? :shock: :-k

Thats basically like saying I should get agility xp for walking... :wall:

TBH i will be very disappointed if jagex release this skill as it sounds imo terrible. #-o

Im open for opinions for people to tell me how its trained, how it will be fun etc

but i would rather a combination of WC/CON etc to just create a travel thing (like canoes)

but each to their own,

my two cents,

~Necro

EDIT:

Quoted.

Joined Runescape: 23/01/02 |||. Retired from Runescape: 07/07/2007

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

sailing could be an extrmely massive skill if done properly, or it could be a flop worse than firemaking.

it could even be the best skill yet, unlocking new islands, so many of them, that it could be just as big, or bigger, then the current free2play areas in runescape. there are lands to the east, where ak haranu [spelling?] came from, islands to the south and new continents to the west, icebergs and glaciers to the north, only acciessible by sailing there yourself as no professional, comercial ships will dare venture there due to the dangers.

in all those areas, theres bound to be new people to help, things to kill. anything, really.

as well as that, you could also make your own ships to take wellknown and established routes like ardy/brimhaven, sarim/karamja etc

it could be a flop if say, ou only got to sail established routes and in ponds, haha :P

i, for one, welcome sailing, just so long as its not what my flop idea of it was :P

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

• 2 weeks later...

[Double post; sorry I had to put this in]

Soul Wars

On the deepest, darkest, most mysterious of our backwater islands, an eternal struggle rages, unknown to the residents of RuneScape until now. Structured much like Castle Wars, this will be a quick to access, tough to master conflict-based minigame. The avatars of Destruction and Creation vie for control of the Soul Obelisk, an ancient and powerful artefact used to harvest the souls of the weak and unready. Get ready to grab your blade, staff or bow and battle through Slayer creatures, collecting fragments of their souls to feed to the ever-hungry obelisk. Rewards include combat XP while playing the game, Pest Control-style XP rewards and a few new pets for you to lead.

I think this is what all the references may have been pointing too since the beginning. All that debate for nothing! =p

Wait, so any refference to an island or water is nor a sailing refference, clutching at straws is still all i see.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

^ I didn't mean it was sailing, I meant that all the clues were just pointing to a new island where a minigame (Soul Wars) will take place. Sailing was just a wrong speculation; for now.