Jan. 7 Poll Clues! Sailing Skill [NEW] Exploration Skill

Gandorf61

There was a thread about sailing a while back where i posted that also has a post i quoted that had a really god interperitation of what sailing could be. Here is the quote:

Someone posted in another thread today an idea with boats for fishing. Just think about about what we could do with sailing skill, lets say Jagex puts in a port city where all your boats are docked, you can buy and/or build certain types of boats and the kinds and number of boats increase as you level. You can use those boats to sail to islands filled with exotic trees for woodcutting, use a boat for fishing and like mentioned earlier maybe pirate battles against other players!

The quote that somewhat inspired me:

[hide=Quote]

I'd rather see them make wortwhile updates that make people raise the skill because it is useful, not because it is easy xp or they want level 99.

There should be more challenging ways to raise skills that require the player to be more involved than simply click minimize RS, check back in 30 seconds and repeat, or skills that are constant clicking without actually doing anything.

Having said that I think mining fishing and firemaking shoudl get some updates.

I could imagine an update for fishing would be fishing from your own boat, and I don't mean anything like trawler fishing. The way I see it you're out there in the ocean or on a lake in a small rowboat peacefully fishing. You make the boat yourself out of your materials and the boat you can make depends on your fishing woodcutting and perhaps construction and crafting levels. Lower level boats would rot and start taking in water more quickly than a higher level boat. They would also not be so strong against a random event such as a wave which could send your boat tumbling away (agility and strength would help keep your balance.) Maybe a giant octopus could appear and attack you forcing you to either move or have a challenging fight (harpoon required) who knows what kind of loot you could get from such a mythical creature? Fishing from your boat wouldn't be all random events and sinking baots though. Your boat could hold lots of fish before returning to dock (amount of fish dependent on type of boat.) Perhaps some new types of fish could only be caught while on a boat or they can be caught much easier than fishing from the shore or a pier. Maybe at higher levels you can create larger boats that are able to hold several fishermen. Now you can go fishing off the coast of Karamja (or pretty much anywhere for that matter)and relax with your friends. Even higher levels could create even larger ships capable of carrying even more fishermen and have aother bonuses. Larger ships may even require people to serve as the crew, the captain, etc, while others are fishing but upon return everyone profits in reward and experience. This could even open up a whole new naval battle mini game which involves player made ships and crews going to battle against eachother. Do you have what it takes to be the captain of a ship or the admiral of a fleet or do you prefer to get your hands dirty and will work aboard as a seaman?

I could also imagine there being hidden dungeons or caves scattered around runescape. You will be able to locate these ancient locations through your skills, logi and knowledge of Runescape among other things. Inside these hidden and dungeons tombs and temples lies great treasure but centuries of neglect has made them near inaccessible and extremely unstable. It is up to you and your team to excavate and explore them. This would be no easy task. Requiring precision teamwork and time. Excavating and exploring the temple will call upon your mining construction thieving and agility skills greatly. Lower leveled miners would dig the general digsite, higher level miners will come in to do more precision digging to prevent damage or a complete collapse of the ground. Carpenters would build scaffolds and supports to reinforce the area. Once inside you will be able to find ancient treasures and artifacts some which could be equipped, others displayed in a museum or you may just decide it look sbetter in your house. It could also be possible using a wide variety of skills to completely renovate the site. Doing al this sounds like a long and tedious process-it is, but the experience gained and other rewards you can get from it make this a more than excellent way to train your skills. Who knows what other things you may uncover from new areas to new monsters and items, the possibilities are endless.

Ok I think I kind of got carried away with my post but I think I still made my point that I think skills should be able to be trained by actually doing things that are involved and challenging(at a decent rate, not like the current minigames), not just repetitively clicking the same rock or tree for three months until you're about to vomit. And I think those are pretty good ideas anyway and I could really imagine them being put in.

[/hide]

cool_sig1.jpg

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above suggestion does sound fun, but maybe for a mini game rather than a skill.

Yeah, a sailing mini-game, why not?

I agree on that.

Skill would be lame, minigame sounds great.

Minigame sounds lame, skill sounds great.

Seriously, i see great potential in a sailing/pirating skill, although i think it would be very complex to make. I give it a 30% possibillity atm

Lord_Beloved.png

lava titan +10 mining boost, pack yak + 30 BoB, Pyrefiend if you really want to? oh what, they did.

No summoning familiar can make Mining or Firemaking anymore fun. I consider those two skills chores.

Didn't everyone say summoning won't come and then jagex smacked those in the face with their giagantic wtfpwnedstick?

I won't get hyped until I have some solid evidence.

In the OP's quote, it says the word "Sailing" one freaking time.

[hide=my ideas and 2 cents]Here are some ideas on how you would use sailing *if* it came out.

Minigame: Team Battleship - You and clan members can fight other clans on the open seas.

Training: Sailing to various islands.

It would benefit woodcutting (cutting wood to build boat), contruction, builkding boat, crafting (creating flags to hand from your boat), ranging cannons on boat plox), smithing (making ammo for boat cannons and armour for boat) summoning (possible water based creatures).

Quest: You must sail to various islands ,fighitng creatures randomly (range or mage the monster)

You can train by sailing, question, lamps, etc.[/hide]

Edit:

The skill cape emote could be of you raising a flag.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

First, that isn't even good evidence that sailing will come out and sailing would be a stupid skill if it ever came out. Sailing to new areas could be done through charters or another form of a teleport. Other than that, is there a purpose for sailing? It'd be stupid if other skills were just dumped into sailing since they should make it a minigame like others have said.

lmao...i don't get what the controversy is between ppl who believe it and ppl who dont. for people who believe it, well, ok u honestly think that its a clue. its not like jagex has done anything like that before in the past.. to those who don't believe it, well u don't hav a right to scrutinize ppl who do believe it. if you don't believe it, well then...u don't believe it. no need to argue and fuss about it and ppl who believe it...

as an old player and new memb of runescape, i'm not sure what to believe...=)

lucario.jpg

2w30t2a.png

beethovens29.png

lmao...i don't get what the controversy is between ppl who believe it and ppl who dont. for people who believe it, well, ok u honestly think that its a clue. its not like jagex has done anything like that before in the past.. to those who don't believe it, well u don't hav a right to scrutinize ppl who do believe it. if you don't believe it, well then...u don't believe it. no need to argue and fuss about it and ppl who believe it...

as an old player and new memb of runescape, i'm not sure what to believe...=)

shun the doubters!

priest_wiz.png

Please god, don't let it be sailing skill.

Sitting idle skill would be better than that really.

That's all i have to say.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

The above suggestion does sound fun, but maybe for a mini game rather than a skill.

Yeah, a sailing mini-game, why not?

I agree on that.

Skill would be lame, minigame sounds great.

The only problem i could see with it being a mini-game is if Jagex implemented everything in that post. Something of that size is more skill oriented and not mini-game really.

cool_sig1.jpg

Every skill has an intricate place within the RuneScape system.

Crafting, for example, affects all these skills and more:

* Ranged - armor

* Fletching - bowstrings

* Herblore - glassmaking vials

* Magic - orbs and battlestaves

* Combat/Slayer - various jewelry

* Cooking - crafting pots/pans

* Farming - crafting baskets and sacks

You use Crafting as an example to show that every skill has interrelating elements in Runescape? Sorry, but only a few skills can be placed on that same pedestal of diversity. Woodcutting and Agility are both skills but you don't see much variety in those... yet people train them all the time.

That's why some skills need to be updated this year, and new releases need to be well done and useful. Woodcut and agility were implemented when the game was a lot less shallow than it is now.

There are already so many ways of doing this that to make the skill useful, they would have to make some things at higher levels more efficient/profitable than other means; if they don't do this, then the skill is useless and should not have been released.

Wait a second. You completely omitted the fun aspect of the game in your argument. Besides, I don't think adding more efficient/profitable means is as infeasible as you make it seem. If it was possible with Hunter and Farming, skills that everyone assumed would be pointless, why can't it be possible for Sailing? Sailing for loot and fun isn't a new dimension to the game yet obtaining herbs is?

New skills shouldn't be made specifically for fun but useless gameplay - that's what FunOrb and minigames are for. Why can't something be fun AND useful? It seems to me that making a new update fit in the game should be done before it is drafted to be fun.

If every update is more efficient than some previous update, you'll have a huge map with everyone clustered in the best training spots. Every update has to be balanced some way, either in speed or cost, or both. Almost everything in RuneScape is based around killing and collecting, that's why Summoning, Construction, Farming, and RuneCraft were more interesting, do-it-yourself skills. Sailing could be like one of these depending on what twist the developers gave to it. But Sailing implies travel only, which isn't worthy of a skill - Piracy or Exploration seem like better leads for a skill.

I apologize if I gave you the impression that I was totally condemning all sailing possibilities. However, because of the Pirate FunOrb game and repeated denial from Jagex that Sailing is in existence, I don't believe it's coming out soon.

Also, you never told me how any of that makes Runescape "unbalanced". You seem to be forgetting that people train skills just because of the fact that they are skills. If Jagex implemented Sailing, that doesn't mean people are going to stop using other methods of loot gathering altogether. Different people have different preferences. For example, PKing is probably the best way of making money right now, but personally I prefer making money by RCing. The fact that PKing can earn you a larger quantity of money does not suggest that people are just gonna completely forget about RCing.

All moneymaking methods in RuneScape are balanced.

Certain money earners, such as RuneCraft, Hunter, Fishing, buying from stores, etc, are steady earners.

Others such as God Wars, Slayer, and merchanting are more or less random earners, bringing in fluctuating amounts of profit.

Other factors such as requirements, enjoyability (which is an individual preference, very true), and difficulty decide what a person does.

However for my comment on unbalancing things I looked deeper than that. Merchanting, Armadyl/Saradomin God Wars, and level 91 Runecrafting are more or less the best 3 ways to make money from each "category" of moneymaking methods. Sailing has to fall in either the steady earners, the profit based on effort, or the luck based methods. There is a very narrow range of effective profit for the skill. Either people will train the skill and use it for moneymaking or they'll completely ignore it. The goal with all skills is to find the happy medium where it is trained and used but doesn't detract from other game features.

2496 Completionist

[hide=]

There was a thread about sailing a while back where i posted that also has a post i quoted that had a really god interperitation of what sailing could be. Here is the quote:

Someone posted in another thread today an idea with boats for fishing. Just think about about what we could do with sailing skill, lets say Jagex puts in a port city where all your boats are docked, you can buy and/or build certain types of boats and the kinds and number of boats increase as you level. You can use those boats to sail to islands filled with exotic trees for woodcutting, use a boat for fishing and like mentioned earlier maybe pirate battles against other players!

The quote that somewhat inspired me:

[hide=Quote]

I'd rather see them make wortwhile updates that make people raise the skill because it is useful, not because it is easy xp or they want level 99.

There should be more challenging ways to raise skills that require the player to be more involved than simply click minimize RS, check back in 30 seconds and repeat, or skills that are constant clicking without actually doing anything.

Having said that I think mining fishing and firemaking shoudl get some updates.

I could imagine an update for fishing would be fishing from your own boat, and I don't mean anything like trawler fishing. The way I see it you're out there in the ocean or on a lake in a small rowboat peacefully fishing. You make the boat yourself out of your materials and the boat you can make depends on your fishing woodcutting and perhaps construction and crafting levels. Lower level boats would rot and start taking in water more quickly than a higher level boat. They would also not be so strong against a random event such as a wave which could send your boat tumbling away (agility and strength would help keep your balance.) Maybe a giant octopus could appear and attack you forcing you to either move or have a challenging fight (harpoon required) who knows what kind of loot you could get from such a mythical creature? Fishing from your boat wouldn't be all random events and sinking baots though. Your boat could hold lots of fish before returning to dock (amount of fish dependent on type of boat.) Perhaps some new types of fish could only be caught while on a boat or they can be caught much easier than fishing from the shore or a pier. Maybe at higher levels you can create larger boats that are able to hold several fishermen. Now you can go fishing off the coast of Karamja (or pretty much anywhere for that matter)and relax with your friends. Even higher levels could create even larger ships capable of carrying even more fishermen and have aother bonuses. Larger ships may even require people to serve as the crew, the captain, etc, while others are fishing but upon return everyone profits in reward and experience. This could even open up a whole new naval battle mini game which involves player made ships and crews going to battle against eachother. Do you have what it takes to be the captain of a ship or the admiral of a fleet or do you prefer to get your hands dirty and will work aboard as a seaman?

I could also imagine there being hidden dungeons or caves scattered around runescape. You will be able to locate these ancient locations through your skills, logi and knowledge of Runescape among other things. Inside these hidden and dungeons tombs and temples lies great treasure but centuries of neglect has made them near inaccessible and extremely unstable. It is up to you and your team to excavate and explore them. This would be no easy task. Requiring precision teamwork and time. Excavating and exploring the temple will call upon your mining construction thieving and agility skills greatly. Lower leveled miners would dig the general digsite, higher level miners will come in to do more precision digging to prevent damage or a complete collapse of the ground. Carpenters would build scaffolds and supports to reinforce the area. Once inside you will be able to find ancient treasures and artifacts some which could be equipped, others displayed in a museum or you may just decide it look sbetter in your house. It could also be possible using a wide variety of skills to completely renovate the site. Doing al this sounds like a long and tedious process-it is, but the experience gained and other rewards you can get from it make this a more than excellent way to train your skills. Who knows what other things you may uncover from new areas to new monsters and items, the possibilities are endless.

Ok I think I kind of got carried away with my post but I think I still made my point that I think skills should be able to be trained by actually doing things that are involved and challenging(at a decent rate, not like the current minigames), not just repetitively clicking the same rock or tree for three months until you're about to vomit. And I think those are pretty good ideas anyway and I could really imagine them being put in.

[/hide]

Oh that sounds really cool. I think I'd rather have something like that than an actual sailing skill. Even so a sailing skill could still be used in activities like that.

How would it be better? What if the sailing skill was like what ShaqAttaq said and you had to man your boat, taking on high waves and battling pirates in search for treasure? New lands and fishing could also be incorporated into all of this. In fact almost every skill could be used in combination with sailing to make it more than just going from one destination to another. Something like fishing trawler with more activities would be awesome.

I don't get why everyone says it would suck. What would be so bad about sailing? It doesn't have to be a "go to destination to level" kind of skill. A lot more can be added to it.

SAILING IS FAKE.

Proof. Remember the fake icon that was posted?

Sailing.PNG

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/runes ... ailing.PNG [Thanks to the RuneScape Wikia]

1.) It's too much of a line drawing. Jagex's icons are usually a bit more sophisticated.

2.) That image is 17x17 pixels. The rest of the icons are 16x16 pixels. Yes, I know it's a small difference but the smallest differences are often the most telling, which is why when you make fakes, DO IT RIGHT. Or you fail when people like me post.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

You're a [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed].

"sitting idle skill"? yeah...sure...

Obviously you were joking but still...I don't get how all these people think that sailing would be horrible. There is A TON of potential to the skill and I think comments like these are pretty ignorant and plain stupid...

SAILING IS FAKE.

Proof. Remember the fake icon that was posted?

Sailing.PNG

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/runes ... ailing.PNG [Thanks to the RuneScape Wikia]

1.) It's too much of a line drawing. Jagex's icons are usually a bit more sophisticated.

2.) That image is 17x17 pixels. The rest of the icons are 16x16 pixels. Yes, I know it's a small difference but the smallest differences are often the most telling, which is why when you make fakes, DO IT RIGHT. Or you fail when people like me post.

Just because there was one fake image about the sailing skill doesn't mean that the idea itself is never going to happen. For all we know sailing could still be under development, or at least something involving sailing.

Oh and the rest of the icons are not 16x16. I'd recheck strength , prayer and a few others.

Wow using this is as bad as when they said hold onto your robin's :wall:

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I don't get what everyone's obsession with sailing is. Wouldn't that skill be incredibly lame?

Congratulations! Your Sailing Skill is now 99!

You Can Now Say "Shiver Me' Timbers!"

:wall:

Mini-Game wise it might be interesting. 2 Pirate Teams, have to shoot, fire and kill upon each other team's boat, after 20 minutes whoevers boat has the most damage wins. thats my speculation though. ::'

Popoto.~<3

If sailing comes, I might quit rs. :|

Luckily, it's not, and people who think it is are just stupid. :roll:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

If sailing comes, I might quit rs. :|

Luckily, it's not, and people who think it is are just stupid. :roll:

So basically your saying Jagex would never be able to create a sailing skill that is balanced, fun, with lots of things to do?

Once again I'm saying that sailing doesn't have to be "sail to a location to get xp". It could be more like building and managing different types of boats as well as exploring, and hunting for treasure. It could be used together with many other skills like fishing too.

TBH if they release sailing in any way, it needs to be in a minigame, similar to Cabin Fever. That quest was fun <3:

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

"These questions will be plain sailing for you." That's your hint at sailing coming? Jagex uses an expression, and now its a hint at something?

We know jagex use different terms for things at times. Honestly this is the same kind stupid reaction as seeing the word "niggles" in the other news post. They use a new phrase, and now it means something...

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07